PDA

View Full Version : I dont get it

TimG
09-01-2006, 3:18 PM
So if I understand correctly AB352 was voted on 3 times, and failed obviously (and yes I did my part and called and emailed as instructed). Now it seems to me that if it didnt get enough votes to pass the first time it should be over right then and there. Does a bill need a minimum number of votes opposing also. Or is it just a matter of crybaby politicians not getting their way ??

rkt88edmo
09-01-2006, 3:21 PM
I think what happens, after listening yesterday, is this. While the bill is being voted on, the author (Koretz) "calls" the bill back before the vote is officially tallied. He does this because he can obviously see that it isn't going to pass. Since the vote has not been officially tallied, it has not actually been voted on.

mikehaas
09-01-2006, 3:31 PM
So if I understand correctly AB352 was voted on 3 times, and failed obviously (and yes I did my part and called and emailed as instructed). Now it seems to me that if it didnt get enough votes to pass the first time it should be over right then and there. Does a bill need a minimum number of votes opposing also. Or is it just a matter of crybaby politicians not getting their way ??
It is common practice for the author of a bill to receive "reconsideration", meaning it can have another try even weeks or months later. After a certain number of grants of reconsideration, the other party's caucus must agree, but it is seldom refused. Normally, as many times as an author wants to try again, he can. Many of the gun bills we suffer under, SB 23 included, failed previous votes and later passed under a "reconsideration" vote.

Last night, in the very last few minutes of the session, Nuñoz tried to get Cogdill to let Koretz have one last chance with AB 352 - REALLY put on the pressure, but the Republicans held solid. I've been critical of some GOP officials in CA but this is one I'll remember. if they could show that much unity and conviction more often, they'de have a chance of getting back to '96, when they OWNED the Assembly. I'd support 'em!

Mike

TimG
09-01-2006, 3:48 PM
Interesting, thanks for the replies. Learn something new every day.....