PDA

View Full Version : Dove Opener- Limits

tankerman
09-01-2006, 1:07 PM
Hit up San Diego (east of Julian). Lots of birds not many people. Great morning. Back home in Newport Beach by noon, with limits.

Overkill
09-02-2006, 6:28 AM
I went dove hunting last night for the first time (I,m more of a pheasant hunter). Waited for a couple hours with very little activity. As soon as it started getting dusk, things really heated up. In the hour that followed and many shells fired, the six of us hunting had 59 birds. I've never had so much fun hunting!

LASC
09-02-2006, 9:04 AM
Hit up San Diego (east of Julian). Lots of birds not many people. Great morning. Back home in Newport Beach by noon, with limits.

Good job tankerman. Sounds like you had a great time. I am planning a trip as well, maybe in 2 weeks time. I am new to the whole hunting scene. Could you give me a little more detailed direction to the place u mentioned? Thanks in advance!

Hunter
09-02-2006, 1:06 PM
Good job tankerman. Sounds like you had a great time. I am planning a trip as well, maybe in 2 weeks time. I am new to the whole hunting scene. Could you give me a little more detailed direction to the place u mentioned? Thanks in advance!

Better go sooner, season closes Sept. 15th.

sargenv
09-02-2006, 9:27 PM
Well, we managed 18 Dove and 2 lost in the rice that the dog couldn't retrieve. It wasn't that busy for us though a few sneaked by us that we didn't expect. However 5 people scored 50 on Dad's Duck club up near Willows.

Vince

elsolo
09-02-2006, 10:25 PM
Opening day dad and I got our limits in under an hour. Saturday wasn't as good, many more people and fewer slow and low flying birds, duh. Location was Blyth, so I also got to catch some fish and do some wakeboarding (first time).

Cold Feelings
09-05-2006, 12:38 PM
We went out by Thermal this year. Lots of Dove and lots of hunters. Shot my limit and for once I found them all.

BigMac
09-06-2006, 4:27 PM
Ha! dove hunting.. Ther's no meat on dove, I killed a buck :D

The truth is I'm a terrible wing shooter and would starve hunting dove.

Vigilante
09-06-2006, 5:04 PM
I did pretty well in Porterville. Limited opening and second day.

DJMAN
09-06-2006, 8:39 PM
Limited out fri. and sat. in Madera next to the sj river. Going back this fri sat.:D

sargenv
09-06-2006, 8:44 PM
Truth is, it takes very little cleaning once you get even a limit of Doves and the single limit is good for 2 or 3 meals, but um, the gut pile on a deer is more than my 10 measly doves and a whole lot stinkier.. BUT you'll get a freezer full of meat. I do it not for the meat, but for the comraderie and ability to do something with my dad. Hunting is about the ONLY thing I do with him and it's all wingshooting (Dove is the kickoff, Ducks and Geese start in about 6 weeks). I um, also get to do more shooting and can now justify going to the skeet range :D We're going to try a different area this Sat, see if there are enough flying around and try to get another limit or two.

Vince

BigMac
09-07-2006, 6:27 AM
Sounds like a blast to me.

magmaster
09-07-2006, 9:37 AM
I went out to the Calipatria area and the opener sucked there. We had a terrible 2 1/2 days out there with none of us getting limits. By the time we found all the birds there were so many people that it was a waste of time. I only bagged 2 all weekend and shot and 2 others. Big disappointment compared to last year. And it was 110-115!!!