PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Mayer Richard Daley Tried to Silence John Lott

safewaysecurity
02-01-2011, 1:16 PM
This story should piss you off.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/02/01/scary-encounter-chicagos-mayor-richard-daley/#

Chicago-style politics is infamous for kickbacks, dead people voting, and thuggery. Alas, it is not just a relic of the past. In fact, witness recent stories of Chicago city workers being hired or promoted based on how well they got voters to the polls and not how well they did their official jobs, children getting admitted to prestigious city schools based on political connections, and the granting of city contracts.
Unfortunately, I know first hand more than I would like about Chicago politics. A decade ago, I was working at the University of Chicago Law School as an Olin Fellow, doing research and some teaching, when I happened to cross paths with Mayor Richard Daley. As he is now about to retire from office, it is time for the facts to come out.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/02/01/scary-encounter-chicagos-mayor-richard-daley/#ixzz1CkRiZZ55
Please do not post whole articles - see http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=363956
It's moderately likely that Dr Lott would grant permission to re-publish his article - but write and ask for permission first.
// Librarian

Mesa Tactical
02-01-2011, 1:19 PM
So this happened over ten years ago?

NightOwl
02-01-2011, 2:12 PM
It does piss me off, but not as much as it could. Daley, and his father, were in office for WAAAAAAAAAY too long. People put up with his crap, and let him do it. Including, according to that article, Mr. Lott.

mbuna
02-01-2011, 2:24 PM
Thanks for the post.

Window_Seat
02-01-2011, 3:34 PM
Very interesting. It will be even more interesting to see if any reporters come forward with "scary dicky daley experiences" right after he leaves. If (or when) that happens, it will likely prove how much of a tyrant dictator he has been. This is the reason why Jefferson stressed the difference between liberty & tyranny.

Erik.

uyoga
02-01-2011, 3:45 PM
These actions have "abuse of power" written all over them.

Werewolf1021
02-01-2011, 3:57 PM
I am not surprised. It is King Daley after all...

Paladin
02-01-2011, 4:18 PM
So this happened over ten years ago?

Yes, and as Lott stated in the penultimate paragraph, it is still impacting his professional life.

[T]he desire to avoid the whole issue has remained more than a decade after the original events. Even the University of Chicago Press, publisher of "More Guns, Less Crime," refused to allow me to discuss the events about the mayor in the third edition, which came out in 2010.

OC-Indian
02-01-2011, 4:24 PM
Both Dailey's are jerk offs. And both made millions in kick backs. Want a liqour license? Apply and wait three years or hand that guy an envelope with $10k in it and donate another $10k to Dailey and it will take a week

stix213
02-01-2011, 5:26 PM
I'm surprised Daley didn't just have him shot. Then he could rid of him for good AND show that guns are bad at the same time.

glbtrottr
02-01-2011, 5:37 PM
Having lived in Chicago, a beautiful city with great people, I find it pathetic that people there continue allowing themselves to be sodomized by the most corrupt government in the Union.

Case in point? Notice the passing of the torch from Daley the Prince to Rahm the Anointed One as his parting gift for contributing to help Obama get ahead...the City of Chicago and its mayorship will be the gift that keeps on giving for Emmanuel, for decades to come, with no involvement from Justice to fix corruption in that town.

The Sheeple of Chicago let this happen.

dantodd
02-01-2011, 5:41 PM
Shocking report </sarcasm>

kcbrown
02-01-2011, 5:55 PM
Isn't that kind of behavior to be expected from pretty much any modern government? Chicago's just better at it, no?

yellowfin
02-01-2011, 6:07 PM
Chicago just goes to no effort to make it less obvious, and with the same arrogance takes it to the farthest levels possible.

CalBear
02-01-2011, 6:41 PM
Not surprised. Most antis don't care at all about actual statistics and fact. They just want to hear what fits their agenda. In the case of someone like Daley, corruption and a desire for power drove his anti gun agenda.

N6ATF
02-01-2011, 6:49 PM
I'm surprised Daley didn't just have him shot. Then he could rid of him for good AND show that guns are bad at the same time.

Beat me to it.

Civilitant
02-01-2011, 6:57 PM
solution... Me Daley and Rahm.... cagematch. 2 on 1.

end of problem. no guns needed.

stick that up their butts and see how effective it is.

gazzavc
02-01-2011, 7:04 PM
Daley & his cohorts are the worst kind of evil.

Come judgement day, they will get their rewards.

kcbrown
02-01-2011, 7:12 PM

Most certainly not in this world.

In the real world, evil (i.e., those who intentionally cause loss for others in order to achieve gain for themselves) usually wins. :(

Jonl
02-01-2011, 7:30 PM
Corrupt Chicago, look who wants back in Rham Emanuel.

N6ATF
02-01-2011, 7:37 PM

For those who don't believe in a post-life hell, the only way they'll be punished is if a bunch of people grow a backbone and successfully prosecute them for treason, so they suffer the capital punishment (since labor camps in Antarctica or the Sahara are apparently cruel and unusual punishment, but not enough for these infinitely evil scum).

Bruce
02-01-2011, 9:13 PM
According to people in the Illinois/Indiana area, the reason we have a Chicago Democrat in the Whitehouse is because the Bush Justice Deprtment was investigating the Chicago "government". King Daley wanted it stopped. If Hillary had become President, the investigations would most likely have continued.

Merovign
02-01-2011, 9:36 PM
We knew what they were like, but it's still sickening.

Thuggish politicians, cowardly university dean, corrupt reporters and police. Boy, they have everything in Chicago. The whole machine needs to be torn down, and the Feds won't do it because the President is "their man." And "his man" is now going home to take over Chicago.

I would have made a big stink, but then I'm not very "nuanced."

The most discouraging part, even though I know not to trust any of them, is a bunch of reporters seeing a man with his hand up physically intimidated and just going on with their business.

bubbapug1
02-01-2011, 9:59 PM
All governments are corrupt as they are formed and staffed by people, and all people are corrupt given the right temptations and rewards for decadence.

Turn the page..............

tonelar
02-01-2011, 10:15 PM
Having lived in Chicago, a beautiful city with great people, I find it pathetic that people there continue allowing themselves to be sodomized by the most corrupt government in the Union.

Case in point? Notice the passing of the torch from Daley the Prince to Rahm the Anointed One as his parting gift for contributing to help Obama get ahead...the City of Chicago and its mayorship will be the gift that keeps on giving for Emmanuel, for decades to come, with no involvement from Justice to fix corruption in that town.

The Sheeple of Chicago let this happen.

I thought Rahm Emmanuel's petition to run for mayor was denied? Did that change?

Librarian
02-01-2011, 11:05 PM
I thought Rahm Emmanuel's petition to run for mayor was denied? Did that change?

Yes. IL Supremes ruled (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/thefix/white-house/rahm-emanuel-ruled-eligible-fo.html) he is a resident and thus eligible.

Wherryj
02-02-2011, 11:57 AM
This story should piss you off.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/02/01/scary-encounter-chicagos-mayor-richard-daley/#

Please do not post whole articles - see http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=363956
It's moderately likely that Dr Lott would grant permission to re-publish his article - but write and ask for permission first.
// Librarian

(linked in your posted article)
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/05/21/chicago-mayor-offers-gun-reporters-butt/

Isn't this a direct threat of violence. witnessed by reports and the public? Daley should have been charged for terrorist threats...

mrrsquared79
02-02-2011, 1:09 PM
Yes. IL Supremes ruled (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/thefix/white-house/rahm-emanuel-ruled-eligible-fo.html) he is a resident and thus eligible.

I have property that I rent out in AZ and intend to return there to live. Does that mean I can get an AZ ID and buy firearms in AZ which aren't available in the PRK???

Librarian
02-02-2011, 1:09 PM
I have property that I rent out in AZ and intend to return there to live. Does that mean I can get an AZ ID and buy firearms in AZ which aren't available in the PRK???

That's up to AZ.

Dreaded Claymore
02-02-2011, 1:32 PM
The title of this thread is "Chicago Mayor Richard Daley Tried to Silence John Lott." The first thing I thought when reading that title is that Richard Daley tried to murder John Lott.

The realization afterward that I was wrong made me laugh out loud. :rofl:

Mulay El Raisuli
02-03-2011, 11:29 AM
The title of this thread is "Chicago Mayor Richard Daley Tried to Silence John Lott." The first thing I thought when reading that title is that Richard Daley tried to murder John Lott.

The realization afterward that I was wrong made me laugh out loud. :rofl:

But you weren't a lot wrong.

The Raisuli

Quser.619
02-03-2011, 3:28 PM
Guess who now controls access to the President, it's going to be a fun next 2 years!:lurk5: