PDA

View Full Version : Crpa Response

cathog
09-01-2006, 11:02 AM
The CRPA has just posted a response to statements made about their efforts in California. We are making the list aware of this at the request of the CRPA and as a courtesy to that client. Both the NRA and the CRPA are clients of Trutanich - Michel, LLP. We view this exchange as unfortunate and counter-productive. And, are not taking a position one way or the other on these issues:

http://www.crpa.org/showpages.asp?pid=1267

chickenfried
09-01-2006, 11:05 AM
They're also emailing it out. I'm predicting an eight page thread.

hoffmang
09-01-2006, 11:08 AM
Anyone else notice its Friday on a holiday weekend. This is the PR dumping ground. All sorts of news that people don't really want you to hear will be released today.

CRPA did not attend the regulatory hearing and it was damn important to a few thousand OLL owners here. CRPA didn't oppose the dog tethering bill as they claim they did. And they certainly stopped opposing AB2714 for a while.

I'll find some of the details but I'm pretty sure its outlined in the mailer I got from them a week or two ago.

-Gene

Can'thavenuthingood
09-01-2006, 11:29 AM
My concerns were or are:

CRPA could have used the opportunity to introduce themselves to what may have been members or future members of CRPA. They didn't from what I've read of the meetings by other posters. Were there any rank & file members of CRPA at the DOJ OLL meeting? Do or did you know the CRPA lobbyists on the scene or a few blocks away? My thinking someone in an official capacity, a lobbyist or staffer, ought to have been at the meeting in the event of something "new" presenting itself. Maybe to even pass the hat?

My other concern, and it may sound selfish, but I look at proposed laws first as how it will it affect me? The showing of ID to UPS, FedEx and DHL drivers was sticky for me. At times I'm not home and the neighbors accept delivery for me. How would that be affected? Sometimes the drivers leave pkgs. on my porch without signatures. If they don't, I have to drive 30 miles to fetch it.

And probably the most important reason I left CRPA is the closed hierarchy of the organization. I understand that it is controlled by one person or 2 which appoints those he/she likes to positions within the organization. You do as he/she wishes or you get to be gone. Too much of a dictatorial scenario for me. As the latest buzzword goes, Transparency seems to be absent. I may be guilty of not researching this a bit more however, I've heard things from different unconnected sources. All 2nd and 3rd hand of course but word of mouth is the best advertising.

My opinions are subject to change.
However this late in life, it seems unlikely.

Vick

dwtt
09-01-2006, 12:45 PM
I read this and I still won't renew my CRPA membership. They said they never stopped opposing AB2714, but in their last newsletter, they dropped their opposition. I wish I hadn't thrown away the newsletter they sent me.
Their actions, or lack of it, speak louder than their PR spin.

Librarian
09-01-2006, 1:29 PM
I read this and I still won't renew my CRPA membership. They said they never stopped opposing AB2714, but in their last newsletter, they dropped their opposition. I wish I hadn't thrown away the newsletter they sent me.
Their actions, or lack of it, speak louder than their PR spin.I have it right next to my keyboard:
"AB 2714 Torrico ...Support, subject to further clarification of its provisions."
From The Firing Line, Issue #921, September, 2006, page 4

Odd how that's different from their page linked above:THE TRUTH
CRPA and GOC never removed their opposition to AB 2714.

donger
09-01-2006, 2:46 PM
I will not renew my membership.

That is all.

PanzerAce
09-01-2006, 2:52 PM
you know, I am getting happier and happier that my schools shooting club is going to be declared a CMP affiliated group, just so that I dont even have to consider joining the CRPA.

hoffmang
09-01-2006, 7:11 PM
I love it. Listed in the supporters of 1578 (Dog Tethering) 7 people up from PETA is..... CPRA:

http://leginfo.ca.gov/pub/bill/sen/sb_1551-1600/sb_1578_cfa_20060626_095544_asm_comm.html

California Rifle and Pistol Association
Dogs Deserve Better
Doris Day Animal League
East Bay Animal Advocates
In Defense of Animals
Last Chance for Animals
Los Angeles Animal Services
People for the ethical treatment of animals

More lies... I'll cross post to the other thread too.

-Gene

Creeping Incrementalism
09-01-2006, 11:13 PM
AB2714: CRPA said support if changes were made (it seemed like they were going to be made, but they weren't). But it still hugely irritates me that they supported it at all. I'm at frickin' work when the packages arrive! I mean, HELLO? GOC supported the bill too--aren't they part of the "no compromise" GOA?

1578: Wha CRPA means is that they didn't work together with PETA. It is just happenstance that they both supported the same bill. But CRPA should not support an otherwise bad bill just because they got the anti-hunting portion dropped.

MisterDudeManGuy
09-02-2006, 10:53 AM
CRPA is in my Norton spam list now. I unsubscribed to their emails.

I will let me membership lapse. Just like their credibility has.

Santa Cruz Armory
09-02-2006, 11:39 AM
Regardless....as CALIFORNIA based organizations there should have been a representative there from each, BOTTOM LINE!

Nice to see that they showed up after the fact...In my book they're "blisters", they show up after the work is done!!

I tried to contact them after the meeting...ya know what response I got? NOTHING! because one wasn't accepting email and the other only had phone contact. AMAZING for such a big organization to have only a phone contact. Does it ring at the Presidents house?

Doing this little "damage control" act is BS and takes minimal time and money. All they are trying to protect is the amount they make off of members dues! I'm still pissed! THEY SUCK! They still get my thumbs down! :mad:

Satex
09-02-2006, 11:59 AM
FALSE STATEMENT
“NRA staff and attorneys were there with about 25 volunteers.”

THE TRUTH
There were not 25 NRA volunteers at the DOJ hearing. Of the approximately total of 25 people in attendance, there were only about five NRA volunteers. The rest of the audience were likely members of NRA, CRPA, GOC, and/or CAFR. All of these groups notified their members of the hearing, and encouraged them to attend.

This one demonstrates that whoever wrote this response can't comprehend English. What the statement means is that there were:
1) NRA staff
2) Attorneys
3) 25 volunteers
Nothing in that statement suggests that the 25 volunteers were from the NRA or any other organization, but that is how the CRPA decided to read it.
So, now we know that CRPA is the free mason equivalent of clubs, we don't know what their agenda is, AND we know they don't understand English!

Santa Cruz Armory
09-02-2006, 1:12 PM
"The rest of the audience were likely members of NRA, CRPA, GOC, and/or CAFR. All of these groups notified their members of the hearing, and encouraged them to attend."

We all knew who (attendees) we were, was anyone asked by the CRPA, GOC, and/or CAFR to attend?? :confused:

I think the people that attended were made aware of the meeting via Calguns and Mike Haas, not the other groups.

hoffmang
09-05-2006, 2:56 PM
I'll second the inappropriate feeling...

-Gene

SgtBulldog
09-05-2006, 3:02 PM
I hope CRPA is reading this- I will not be renewing my membership.

Dont Tread on Me
09-05-2006, 6:03 PM
I actually circled in red the statement in my recent Firing Line that the CRPA was withdrawing its opposition from the mail order ammo proposal and mailed it back to them with a letter demanding that they cancel my membership and not write to me again. If a few more folks do this then they might get the message....

The NRA is far from perfect but it is the only game in town right now. It would not be bad to have a genuine pro gun CA group. Until then all $$ go to the NRA.

Can'thavenuthingood
09-06-2006, 8:14 AM
Before joining any other outfits, I'd have to research to find out if its possible for an outsider like me to rise to a position of authority within the org. (Thats a clumsy sentence)............... Its early, still on first cup.

Prior to supporting any other pro gun organization you'd want to be sure they are indeed supporting you and not a facade.

On the other hand, was it Mark Twain or Groucho Marx questioning the credibility of an organization accepting someone like himself?

Watch out for "Sensible", "Common sense" and any title wearing the term "Safe".

"The Coalition of Safe and Sensible gun owners for Common Sense gun laws"
sounds really good to anyone not paying attention.

Vick

Dont Tread on Me
09-06-2006, 8:27 AM
I'd have to research to find out if its possible for an outsider like me to rise to a position of authority within the org.

Good test. I like that.

"The Coalition of Safe and Sensible gun owners for Common Sense gun laws"

Let me guess at the translation:

Safe and Sensbile gun owners = the Government
Common Sense gun laws = only the Government can have guns

My preference would be
First delete all existing gun laws. Then
Safe and Sensbile gun owners = Any non fellon
Common Sense gun laws = You go to jail for a long time if you use your gun when commiting a crime.