PDA

View Full Version : So what is the final verdict on 2714?

Pokey
09-01-2006, 8:59 AM
I read defeated and passed. Whats the final if anyone knows?

TMC
09-01-2006, 9:36 AM
According to this it passed

http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/bill/asm/ab_2701-2750/ab_2714_vote_20060831_0942PM_sen_floor.html

Hunter
09-01-2006, 9:43 AM
According to this it passed

http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/bill/asm/ab_2701-2750/ab_2714_vote_20060831_0942PM_sen_floor.html

That was for the Senate, the Assembly had to revote on the amendments last night and we all thought the call ended up at 41 to 29 passing, but then in the aftermath at least 2 changed their ayes to no or not voting. This is the confusing part as changing ones vote afterwords is not suppose to effect the original outcome.... Here is does seem too, but legally it cannot......

mikehaas
09-01-2006, 12:55 PM
Why not go to the place created by our own?

http://calnra.com/legs.shtml?year=2006&summary=ab2714

Mike

Hunter
09-01-2006, 1:04 PM
Why not go to the place created by our own?

http://calnra.com/legs.shtml?year=2006&summary=ab2714

Mike

Mike,
Did you get the final vote talley on this bill? Was it 41/29?

Liberty Rules
09-01-2006, 1:13 PM
www.leginfo.ca.gov is typically updated the next day.

The site states the following (it passed):

LAST HIST. ACT. DATE: 08/31/2006
LAST HIST. ACTION : In Assembly. Concurrence in Senate amendments pending. Senate amendments concurred in. To enrollment.

FYI, if a bill is enrolled, it passed both houses. Here's the legislative definition of that term:

Enrollment
Whenever a bill passes both houses of the Legislature, it is ordered enrolled. In enrollment, the bill is again proofread for accuracy and then delivered to the Governor. The "enrolled bill" contains the complete text of the bill with the dates of passage certified by the Secretary of the Senate and the Chief Clerk of the Assembly. A resolution, when enrolled, is filed directly with the Secretary of State.

You can find the glossary of CA legislative terms at the following site:
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/guide.html#Appendix_B

And may a pox be upon the legislators and their heirs. Frickin ninnys.

Skawrpion
09-01-2006, 2:27 PM
So bottom line is we got the shaft? so we will soon see "CANNOT BE SHIPPED TO CA" on catalog/internet ammo sales? :mad:

chiefcrash
09-01-2006, 2:29 PM
So bottom line is we got the shaft? so we will soon see "CANNOT BE SHIPPED TO CA" on catalog/internet ammo sales? :mad:

it ain't a law yet. and even then, it just means the fedex lady has to check your id before she hands you the box...

ArmedWolf
09-01-2006, 2:35 PM
before she hands you the box...

haha, tries to lift, then drop them, scoots it over to you saying how heavy it is, sorry, just came to mind when in the walmart getting ammo some time ago and simular happened

Gregas
09-01-2006, 2:50 PM
it ain't a law yet. and even then, it just means the fedex lady has to check your id before she hands you the box...
That's a big deal to those of us that don't work at home. Up to now, Fedex / UPS would just leave the ammo on the porch. I can't take off of work just to wait for ammo! Likewise, the depot is inconveniently far away. It's a good thing that I reload. That is until California bans delivery of bullets!

M. Sage
09-01-2006, 3:04 PM
haha, tries to lift, then drop them, scoots it over to you saying how heavy it is, sorry, just came to mind when in the walmart getting ammo some time ago and simular happened

Lol, my wife had to rescue our UPS driver when he was having a bit of troulble with almost 1000 rounds of 7.62x54R.

mikehaas
09-01-2006, 3:08 PM
Mike,
Did you get the final vote talley on this bill? Was it 41/29?
Sounds about right from memory, but haven't gotten the word from NRA on the numbers.

But I know it passed by the minimum needed votes - 41.

Mike

mikehaas
09-01-2006, 3:17 PM
No. if AB 2714 becomes law, you will have to be present to receive your ammo and present ID. Your wife cannot accept it for you. The carrier is required to return a signed receipt back to the seller, but carriers are exempt if any of this doesn't happen.

After San Francisco lost the Handgun ban suit to NRA, they vowed to next go after ammunition sales. The record-keeping requirements are a foot in the door of identifying who bought ammo in an area.

Now, combine this with the real problem in the bill - the bypassing of preemption. The antis want to repeal state premption of gun laws with a passion - both AB 2714 and SB 59 bypass state preemption laws.

Mike

Skawrpion
09-01-2006, 3:41 PM
I understand it has not become a law and that I need to be present and show ID for it to be delivered. but when it does I think it is going to be a pain in the "A" for the delivery company which will then start to charge more and require specific packaging from vendors at which point the vendors will say screw it and not sell to CA like some already do with items that can be shipped to CA but prefer not to to avoid the hassle of current confusing laws.
Heck the UPS guy comes by and rings the door bell and before I even start walking towards the door to answer he is already down the block. they hate to wait cause they need to make up time for the 2 hour lunch they took. :D j/k UPS drivers out there don't take offense.

GW
09-01-2006, 4:11 PM
The governor still has to sign it so all hope isn't lost yet.

Yes, he did sign the .50 ban but he also vetoed several ant- gun or ammo bills at the same time.
Plus this undermining of state preemption may hopefully inspire him to veto as well.

hoffmang
09-01-2006, 7:19 PM
Actually in practice you will not haeve to be there to get your ammo unless UPS or Fedex decides to be sticklers. However if they just drop it off, there is no penalty for them.

-Gene

6172crew
09-01-2006, 7:51 PM
I suppose one could also make arrangements to pick the package up at the local UPS or FedEx hub.

That or do like my FFL and give a bottle of scotch to the Brown truck guy and ask him for his cell #, remeber to tip often with whatever he or she may enjoy.

My guy relaxed after he found that I owned a SS Impala.:D

Gregas
09-01-2006, 8:50 PM
Actually in practice you will not haeve to be there to get your ammo unless UPS or Fedex decides to be sticklers. However if they just drop it off, there is no penalty for them.

Fortunately, they are not usually sticklers. FedEx left a CMP Garand on my porch...I know they are not supposed to do that!

Creeping Incrementalism
09-01-2006, 10:37 PM
Mike, your California gun legislation HTML thingie says SB 2714 and SB 59 are now on the governor's desk, but don't have the "!" action needed mark--what are we waiting for?

adamsreeftank
09-02-2006, 12:30 AM
This dumb law almost makes you want to stock up on ammo while you still can.:D

1911_sfca
09-02-2006, 1:08 AM
The bigger problem here, IMO, is the weakening of state pre-emption law.

Speaking as a resident of SF, you *don't* want that to happen.. especially if you live in a liberal-infested area like I do..

jdberger
09-02-2006, 1:18 AM
That is until California bans delivery of bullets!I'm not positive, but I think that bullets are in the bill, too. Might be time to start handcasting (my wife is gonna kill me).

mattja
09-02-2006, 2:08 AM
Worst case, ship it UPS Ground and ask for the Hold for Pickup service. It's free, and UPS will leave the package at the nearest Customer Center and you can pick it up there.

One problem is you will probably have to call in your order and ask for Hold for Pickup. I never see it offered as an option on ammo order web forms.

Gregas
09-02-2006, 9:12 AM
Worst case, ship it UPS Ground and ask for the Hold for Pickup service. It's free, and UPS will leave the package at the nearest Customer Center and you can pick it up there.

People keep suggesting that, but it's not an option for me...It'll be 1.5 hours round trip and and I'd have to take off of work during business hours! I'd spend more on gas than I'd save on ammo. That doesn't even count lost work time.

G

Gregas
09-02-2006, 9:16 AM
I'm not positive, but I think that bullets are in the bill, too. Might be time to start handcasting (my wife is gonna kill me).
Please don't start rumors if you are not sure. It gets people in a frenzy. The bill deals with centerfire handgun ammunition. Bullets are not ammunition. It needs to be ready to fire to be ammunition.

Greg

6172crew
09-02-2006, 9:18 AM
People keep suggesting that, but it's not an option for me...It'll be 1.5 hours round trip and and I'd have to take off of work during business hours! I'd spend more on gas than I'd save on ammo. That doesn't even count lost work time.

G
Your only option is to grease the palms of the brown truck guy. Those guys are willing to help if your cool with them.