View Full Version : Shooting gloves?

01-31-2011, 10:45 PM
I'm thinking about buying the husband a pair of shooting gloves for Valentine's Day, but I have a few questions. This is all fairly new to me.

Is that the sort of thing someone who likes shooting handguns and rifles would like to receive? If so, what are shooting gloves used for - or when are they used? Would he be laughed at if he wore them to the range? What sort of gloves (brand/style) would you recommend?

I found a few old threads where people recommended Mechanix gloves, but I couldn't tell if that was for shooting in winter conditions or for other purposes (e.g., to absorb impact, to protect from guns getting hot, etc.) I also checked out the Mechanix website but I was confused by all the options! He wouldn't need any sort of cold weather protection - this would just be to absorb impact (or whatever other non-weather-related purposes for which shooting gloves are used).

Also, if you make a recommendation for gloves, how does the sizing run for the ones you recommend? (I know, I don't ask much...) :)

01-31-2011, 10:51 PM
I personally use Mechanix gloves. I like the "FastFit" Mechanix gloves personally. I don't use them for cold weather or anything like that. I mainly use them to avoid getting lead or gunpowder residue on my hands. Also my hands tend to get really dry and really dirty while shooting, whether it be from loading magazines or manipulating the guns themselves. Mechanix gloves work really well for me by providing a barrier between the grit and grime from the guns, and my hands. They're also of fairly thin material, so I can still feel things through the gloves. They're also pretty robust. I've been using the same pair for over a year now, and I wear them at work every night as well as when I go shooting. My hands are pretty large, so I wear "XL" size gloves. Can't go wrong with Mechanix! Just pick one that looks nice (maybe in his favorite color?) and buy!

01-31-2011, 10:52 PM

01-31-2011, 10:53 PM
Also, you might want to look into some Nomex Flight Gloves. They provide heat resistance as well as all the things Mechanix gloves do. No particular brand; if you google "nomex flight gloves" you'll see some different examples.

01-31-2011, 10:54 PM
Some people like tight fitting thin leather gloves for shooting and some people like a more padded glove. But it also depends on what kind of shooting application and caliber you are using. I personally like the mechainx coyote tan gloves. good stuff.

01-31-2011, 10:54 PM
+1 for Mechanix gloves
They are affordable and comfortable for shooting gloves. Make sure you get the right size, it should fit tightly without having any loose space on the tip of the fingers.

02-01-2011, 4:01 AM
Ammo. Can't go wrong with ammo.

Personally, I have no use for shooting gloves.

02-01-2011, 8:18 AM
When he finds out the time, effort, and research you put into it, it will be all worth it - regardless of what you get him. He's one lucky sob :) now get him some Mechanix...

02-01-2011, 8:54 AM
Mine are Nomex flight gloves, but I never actually wear them for shooting, not unless it is snowing...and even then I would probably go gloveless on the strong side hand. They feel really goofy to me. Too mush swish and movement between my hand and the gun when the material is in between them. During a recent course a fellow student had a pair of Mechanix gloves. They where grippy, and did not have any play or movement to them at all (at least compared to my flight gloves). So as much as I hate to say it, I would go with the Mechanix gloves. But I have not actually tried shooting with them myself. My experience is only 1/2 first hand. I was able to tell that they would work better than my flight gloves, but how much better would require actually wearing them and shooting them (his were too small for my hands).

02-01-2011, 12:57 PM
This is more of a feel thing (personal preference) but here are a couple links you might want to peruse if you decide the flight glove:

02-01-2011, 1:35 PM
Cabela's has several choices in shooting gloves. http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search/?N=1100187&Ne=1100187&Ntk=AllProducts&Ntt=gloves&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchall&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products&WTz_st=SearchRefinements&form_state=searchForm&search=gloves&x=0&y=0

Outdoor Research Overload Gloves, which are Nomex covered with fire resistant leather are rather expensive at $150+ per pair. http://military.outdoorresearch.com/site/browse/Handwear/Flame-Resistant.html.

Former soldier Larry Vickers makes his own gloves. http://vickerstactical.com/larry-vickers-products/signature-series-gloves/

I don't use gloves unless shooting full auto.

02-04-2011, 11:57 PM
Take a look at 5.11 gloves. I prefer shooting gloves tight and a lot of gloves have the seams at the end. 5.11 gloves don't have that seam.

02-08-2011, 9:29 AM
Mechanix - Between the Original, FastFit, Coyote or MPact, which ones would get in the way the least? Do Mechanix gloves offer any flash resistance in your experience?

5.11 - Do these get very warm? How do they hold up over time?