PDA

View Full Version : Glock, USA vs Austiran Proof marked, whats the difference?

supermario
01-31-2011, 11:05 PM
Hey guys, i just picked up an Austrian Proof Mark Glock 19.
Does anybody know the difference, are the Austrians ones made better
or cost more? Just curious! thanks guys and gals

Heiko
01-31-2011, 11:11 PM
I don't think there is any difference unless it comes time to sell it and someone is a fanatic about having an Austrian proof mark who you can take advantage of. ;)

supermario
01-31-2011, 11:12 PM
I don't think there is any difference unless it comes time to sell it and someone is a fanatic about having an Austrian proof mark who you can take advantage of. ;)

Ok thanks, I was just curious. I just got the upper, now i gotta get the lower.

jeffrice6
01-31-2011, 11:51 PM
There are some "members" when it comes to sale day that think Austrian means big $. Not that I'm a huge Glock guy, but as far as my knowledge mechanically like 4 like

supermario
01-31-2011, 11:56 PM
There are some "members" when it comes to sale day that think Austrian means big $. Not that I'm a huge Glock guy, but as far as my knowledge mechanically like 4 like

Maybe because the Austrian proof are test at 130% loads? I wonder what the USA made are tested to?

timmy8151
01-31-2011, 11:56 PM
I thought the US versions had a different finish than the Austrian ones. Something about the Tennifer process not being EPA compliant

Blackhawk556
02-01-2011, 12:20 AM
^^^^I heard something like that too

Heiko
02-01-2011, 12:36 AM
I thought the US versions had a different finish than the Austrian ones. Something about the Tennifer process not being EPA compliant

I could be wrong but what I thought was that the upcoming all-US made Glocks could not have the Tenifer finish due to EPA restrictions but the current Austrian made (not Austrian proofed) slides are all Tenifer.

nick
02-01-2011, 1:18 AM
EPA strikes again? Damn, the Tennifer finish is pretty durable.

Pryde
02-01-2011, 10:55 AM
There's no difference.
All US glocks are shipped into the country as finished parts from austria, including the slide which is already tennifered. The glock facility in smyrna assembles them and test fires them and sells them.

Sometimes when the demand here is too high and they don't have enough guns to meet it, they will import guns from austria that have already been assembled and proofed, hence the austrian marks and also the import stamp which is on the bottom of the trigger guard.

Functionally there is no difference between a US or an austrian gun since they are all technically made in austria. The proof marks and import stamp just add rarity value.

baz152
02-01-2011, 11:37 AM
Confirmed by a Glock sales rep..... Glock USA does produce a complete pistol with a different finsh on the slide. The US made pistols are made only for export and are headed to south America and the mid east for police and military forces.

smarter
02-01-2011, 12:32 PM
Confirmed by a Glock sales rep..... Glock USA does produce a complete pistol with a different finsh on the slide. The US made pistols are made only for export and are headed to south America and the mid east for police and military forces.

Which would make them more "rare" if they are for export. The cost to assemble them here might be cheaper than it is in Austria. Just comes down to where can I get the lowest finish price for a product with the highest margin of profit.

hkdad
02-01-2011, 12:53 PM
i think they are pretty much the same, just the finish and proof marks are the difference. on the other hand, if it says made in china, then i would start worrying. ;)

hcbr
02-01-2011, 2:24 PM
it's still a glock! yay

dieselpower
02-01-2011, 3:02 PM
it's still a glock! yay

without the tenifer it isnt a true Glock..its a clone made in America under license by Glock and shipped out of the country.

USA made Glocks are not true Glocks.
Made in Austria= Glock
Assembled in Georgia = Glock
Made in Georgia = Melonite Clone Glock

Its like if Colt bought Bushmaster and changed all of the Bushmaster equipment to its own, except the Coating process. The coating is NEARLY identical...nearly.

There are people who say its the same only a different name. If that was true, I could use DDT and Malathion as a bug killer by renaming them bubble-gum and Peanut butter couldn't I.

G60
02-01-2011, 3:36 PM
Good lord, sounds like 'real jeeps don't have square headlights' or 'real vw's don't have radiators' argument. Doesn't matter where they're made, they're still gonna explode in your hand =P