PDA

View Full Version : Bison hunting

1911man
01-31-2011, 6:42 PM
I will be going on a bison hunt soon and I was wonder what caliber to bring and maybe you guys can help me decide. I only have a heavy barrel .308. A friend of mine told me he would let me barrow his 45-70 Marlin that has a 22'' barrel with iron sights, my .308 heavy barrel has a 3x10 on it. Does anyone know the difference in the cross sectional density or would that matter?

Hunt
01-31-2011, 6:49 PM
yeah you want big SD 45-70 with 250 grain expanding bullet be nice.

1911man
01-31-2011, 7:06 PM
Ear, neck, lung, shoulder, or heart shot.?

Trapper
01-31-2011, 7:28 PM
Go with the 45-70 Govt and a 405gr bullet and aim for the heart lung area just behind the shoulder.

1911man
01-31-2011, 8:18 PM
Thanks guys for the comments, I will plan accordingly.

180ls1
01-31-2011, 8:47 PM
ya grab the 45-70, it will be more fun also and a better story i imagine, even if its not that much cooler.

pacifico23
01-31-2011, 8:51 PM
Seriousley... Couldn't you go Deer hunting or something? Bisons are just starting to make a comback. Oh well.

rodeoflyer
01-31-2011, 9:05 PM
Seriousley... Couldn't you go Deer hunting or something? Bisons are just starting to make a comback. Oh well.

:rolleyes:

:troll:

Herds need to be managed, which the DFG in each state is more than capable of doing.

To the OP: Don't be a puss.....use a bow. :p

Good Luck, and PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!

Hunt
01-31-2011, 9:43 PM
Go with the 45-70 Govt and a 405gr bullet and aim for the heart lung area just behind the shoulder.

405 gr wow didn't realize that cartridge went that heavy

PM720
01-31-2011, 9:52 PM
405 grain bullets are what the cartridge was originally designed with I believe. I think the official designation was 45/70-405. 45 caliber, 70 grains of black powder and a 405 grain bullet.

Scott

center_x
01-31-2011, 10:47 PM
+1 on archery

davebw226
02-01-2011, 5:42 AM
Had a friend go last weekend. He used a .338 Lapua and said the biggest challenge was avoiding killing a second with a pass through round.

FYI. Almost all bisen hunts in the US are of ranch raised animals that are destined to be burgers regardless of method of kill. Some huge percentage of the current Bison herd is owned by Ted turner for meat production. Wild herds are tightly and well managed.

I'd go with the 45/70, if just for the fun. Although you may want to ask your guide about the typical distances he sees on the property he guides. You may find yourself lobbing the 45/70 in like an 81mm if the distance goes beyond 200 or so meters. ;)

Have fun

Cougar125
02-01-2011, 10:04 AM
Indians used bows. ;)

00BuckShot
02-01-2011, 10:06 AM
+1 for the bow.

toby
02-01-2011, 10:30 AM
Best Bison hunt would be this one= www.crazywomanbison.com as real and wild as it get's

rexbo47
02-01-2011, 11:07 AM
405 gr wow didn't realize that cartridge went that heavy

Kills on one end, maims on the other.

:43:

Argonaut
02-01-2011, 11:32 AM
Seriously... Couldn't you go Deer hunting or something? Bisons are just starting to make a comeback. Oh well.

You need to do some homework, buffalo have been over populating public grounds where they live like the National Bison Range in Montana for a long time. Most (not all) "hunted" buffalo are ranch hunts where the animals are raised for meat production. 405 Grain solid lead bullet 45/70 was the standard loading when the round was the military caliber, as an aside, buffalo are so close genetically to common cattle that they interbreed without any issues. There were no White buffalo here until cattle got loose on the range and inter bred. There are still a lot of ranchers raising Beefalo today. In my opinion an archery hunt for buffalo (as well as other big game) is immoral, There is just not a way to insure a clean humane kill. It can be done on smaller game but there are so few hunters that put the time in to mastering the bow that way too many deer are shot during the rifle season with gang green infected arrow wounds left over from the archery season. (I have shot 2 of them myself) I would use the 45/70 with jacketed expanding bullets like the Hornady Leverevolution. They are very hot

CSACANNONEER
02-01-2011, 11:34 AM
A .53 cal patched round ball from a 1:66 twist has killed more than a few of 'em.

Argonaut
02-01-2011, 11:58 AM
A .53 cal patched round ball from a 1:66 twist has killed more than a few of 'em.

You off course are correct. People that think black powder guns are not powerful or accurate are really ignorant. During the transition between muzzleloaders and metallic cartridge breech loaders, there were many matches between the 2 types. The muzzleloaders won more matches than the breech loaders and the Colt Walker pistol was the most powerful pistol until I think the 44 mag was invented by Elmer Keith. Every time I shoot my 54 Thompson Renegade, I think about the civil war and being shot by a 58 cal mine ball........Ugly thought.......More Buffalo were probably killed by being stampeded over cliffs than any other method. Native Americans didn't have guns until the late 1700's or even Horses until the 1600's.

Mikeb
02-01-2011, 1:47 PM
How about an air rifle?
see
http://www.quackenbushairguns.com/

I met this guy at the range... nice guy
take care
Mike

VaderSpade
02-01-2011, 2:19 PM
I’ve always wanted to hunt one with my 1874 Remington rolling block 45-70.
http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx174/VaderSpade/Dscn8597.jpg

CACitUP
02-01-2011, 3:02 PM
Dude, you are shooting a cow. Cant you just walk up and tip him over then stab him repeatedly?

Rusty_Buckhorn
02-01-2011, 3:19 PM
Dude, you are shooting a cow. Cant you just walk up and tip him over then stab him repeatedly?

apparently you've never encountered any wild cattle.... not a docile old dairy cow.

Coded-Dude
02-01-2011, 3:22 PM
I saw my dad beat a cow to death with a 2x4 once. true story.

Rusty_Buckhorn
02-01-2011, 3:29 PM
he sounds like a real winner :rolleyes:

choprzrul
02-01-2011, 3:38 PM
How thick are the hides? If OP uses his .308, should he think about a 220gr solid?

Make sure you watch the movie so that you are up on your bison hunting technique:

http://www.johnhallsalaska.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Buffalo1.jpg

Argonaut
02-01-2011, 4:07 PM
expanding bullet will penetrate it fine. The classic Buffalo cartridges are big slow moving lead projectiles with no expansion that penetrate fine.

lewdogg21
02-01-2011, 4:31 PM
My father was charged and nearly killed by a cow. Don't think cattle are just docile all the time. If they want too they will charge you, stomp you, crush you, etc. very easily.

I really want a 45/70 now. I'd use it for deer and bear here in CA.

CACitUP
02-01-2011, 5:50 PM
"Wild" cattle? Ok.....been around the block plenty. Cows are cows. They are easy to stalk ;) and most will even let you hold a gun to their head. I would guess that farm raised Bison arent much different. Show up with a flake of alfalfa and .45 Auto and I bet you are good to go. Post pics.....I wanna see this.

apparently you've never encountered any wild cattle.... not a docile old dairy cow.

m98
02-01-2011, 6:24 PM
:rolleyes:

:troll:

Herds need to be managed, which the DFG in each state is more than capable of doing.

To the OP: Don't be a puss.....use a bow. :p

Good Luck, and PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!

Uhhh....... You must not have hunted kommiforn big game on public lands before. The dfg here in this state can't manage crap. From salmon to bears to doves. The revenues generated by licences and tags only goes into the pockets of politicians.

m98
02-01-2011, 6:26 PM
"Wild" cattle? Ok.....been around the block plenty. Cows are cows. They are easy to stalk ;) and most will even let you hold a gun to their head. I would guess that farm raised Bison arent much different. Show up with a flake of alfalfa and .45 Auto and I bet you are good to go. Post pics.....I wanna see this.

Just imagine how redneck this would be:rofl:

toby
02-01-2011, 6:33 PM
Uhhh....... You must not have hunted kommiforn big game on public lands before. The dfg here in this state can't manage crap. From salmon to bears to doves. The revenues generated by licences and tags only goes into the pockets of politicians.

This Kommi state has no Bison to hunt. The states that have them do pretty well with wild game management. There are two or three so called outfitters that will let you shoot a farm raised or pet Bison though....:o

m98
02-01-2011, 6:40 PM
This Kommi state has no Bison to hunt. The states that have them do pretty well with wild game management. There are two or three so called outfitters that will let you shoot a farm raised or pet Bison though....:o

Yeah he said dfg in each state capable of wildlife management. Not in this state wildlife management works.

1911man
02-01-2011, 6:56 PM
The ranch owner said the buffalo are free range on 3500 acres. Your right abbot DFG, they can't manage, because they are politically involved.

180ls1
02-01-2011, 7:16 PM

ya i would say they are easy to stock with a rifle but not with a bow. At least where i hunted last in Utah, it would have taken me several days to get one with a bow i imagine.

How thick are the hides? If OP uses his .308, should he think about a 220gr solid?

Make sure you watch the movie so that you are up on your bison hunting technique:

http://www.johnhallsalaska.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Buffalo1.jpg

I really dont think a 308 is a good choice, it is just underpowered even with awesome bullet selection and shot placement. I am sure you could get the job done i would just think it would be wiser to use the 45/70

77bawls
02-01-2011, 11:54 PM
The Yellowstone ones are pretty used to people, here is a pic I took of one that was about 15-20 feet away.

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs436.snc4/47919_1478216568417_1623861998_1184612_3551814_n.j pg

GlockBlocker
02-02-2011, 12:48 AM
Rode the AlCan last summer, ... these are some Yukon Bison hanging out by the road.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_uhRCBz1Q6V4/TDALSA6V8hI/AAAAAAAACow/K17vou6maO0/s720/IMG_1938.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_uhRCBz1Q6V4/TDALdzOqQOI/AAAAAAAACpY/lj2HxZk0Zmk/s720/IMG_1949.JPG

Coded-Dude
02-02-2011, 7:08 AM
he sounds like a real winner :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: or you could have asked for details before forming an uneducated opinion. it was 20 years ago. the cow was crazy, we had it corralled but getting it to cooperate from there was proving to be a nightmare(trying to get it in the shoot). he didn't intend on killing it, it just kind of happened.

go live on a ranch/farm for 10-20 years and you'll see animals do all kinds of crazy ****. I also saw a horse break its own neck trying to turn around before it went into the shoot; and another rip its chest open trying to jump a barb-wire fence.

CSACANNONEER
02-02-2011, 7:56 AM

Obviously, you've never been around domestic, let alone wild cattle. Having been charged by a cow protecting her calf from my puppy, I'll say that a cow can be a very aggressive animal and that at the age of 20, I could out run a 6 month old lab puppy.

Coded-Dude
02-02-2011, 8:06 AM
for the most part cattle is pretty tame, but you can piss em off, especially regarding calves. its definitely not fun getting charged at(a little less scary when a horse is doing it, but still pretty scary).

CACitUP
02-02-2011, 8:40 AM
I spent a decade on a 3800 acre working cattle ranch feeding 500 head of cattle twice a day. Cows are dumb, lazy and greedy for food. Yes, they can charge, or hurt you in a panic, but come on, you arent really going to try and make a case that this is anything like a real hunt for a real wild animal. This is shooting a cow. I dont know if I would even bother to park the car. Just roll the window down and let er rip. And btw, there are No "Wild" cattle in the US.

Obviously, you've never been around domestic, let alone wild cattle. Having been charged by a cow protecting her calf from my puppy, I'll say that a cow can be a very aggressive animal and that at the age of 20, I could out run a 6 month old lab puppy.

Coded-Dude
02-02-2011, 8:42 AM
I'm not at all. I think it would be fun to track a herd and kill a buffalo or two(like in olden times), but paying to go to a ranch to merely walk out to a field and pull the trigger is definitely not hunting(doesn't matter what the animal in question is).

Rusty_Buckhorn
02-02-2011, 8:43 AM
go live on a ranch/farm for 10-20 years and you'll see animals do all kinds of crazy ****. I also saw a horse break its own neck trying to turn around before it went into the shoot; and another rip its chest open trying to jump a barb-wire fence.

lived on a ranch my whole life(almost 40yrs now), and till I was 15, we also had a dairy. I've halter broken many cattle for show strings, and chased many wild cattle on horseback in some real rough country where they MIGHT see people once a year. I think I know cattle fairly well. And yes, wild cattle do exist. Cattle who don't belong to anyone. Hawaii is actually full of them, and people hunt them on public land all the time.

I've seen cattle/horses/dogs do some pretty off the wall stuff, and die in some very strange manors, but to jump on a thread to brag about watching your dad kill a cow with a 2x4 is just ignorant. You should know better than to brag about such a thing on a hunting thread. It's just more fuel for the antis, and paints us all in a bad light. I'm sure there was "extenuating" circumstances involved, and was not a malicious act, but you may want to think about how others perceive your post before you post something like that.... just my opinion.

Coded-Dude
02-02-2011, 8:54 AM
I wasn't bragging merely stating a fact. if that statement is misconstrued i am not entirely at fault. I guess I understand how it could come off like bragging, but you are mistaken. I also never said there was no such thing as "wild" cattle. I understand there are various different levels of domestication(or lack thereof). Most domestic cattle have very little contact with humans(except for tagging/branding or medical reasons); i don't count feeding as contact since there is rarely if ever direct contact with any of the herd.

If cows were so dumb and docile there would be no such thing as a rodeo. But I certainly wouldn't find it entertaining to hunt one in a controlled environment(i.e. ranch).

Rusty_Buckhorn
02-02-2011, 8:59 AM
I also never said there was no such thing as "wild" cattle.

sorry, the wild cattle statement was aimed at CAC. There are most definitely wild cattle in the US. Not sure who told you that there wasn't, but they're wrong.

CACitUP
02-02-2011, 9:36 AM
There are NO wild cattle in the US. If you think that a lack of fence or claim makes it wild you are mistaken. All cattle in the US are relatives of Bos primigenius and have been extinct in the wild since the early 1600's. American Bison have been considered extint in their natural range since the 1910's. Most of the current Bison, even what they are calling "wild" in Yellowstone, are from domesticated stock and do not have free range. Even those reintroduced into their natural range are not genetically pure and are not able to range in their natural habitat. Most are locked into to large preserves that arent even a fraction of the natural range and are treated as cattle not wild animaals. They have neither the instinct or opportunity to behave as they would in the wild. They are for all practical purposes, cows..........

Rusty_Buckhorn
02-02-2011, 9:47 AM
ok, by definition, there are no wild cattle(buffalo and such), in the US.... but in all senses of the term "wild cattle"... yes, there are wild cattle in the US. Sure, generations ago, they were domestic, but not anymore. It's just like saying a feral hog isn't a wild hog.

Kerplow
02-02-2011, 5:47 PM
every time i see a thread in the hunting section with more than 1 page i can rest assured that there is some silly argument going on inside. :rolleyes:

to the OP, good luck with your Bison hunt. i would LOVE to have me some bison meat.

1911man
02-26-2011, 7:12 AM
Well the time is getting closer guys and I still am questioning about which caliber to go with. The hunt has to be with cooper bullets, the heaviest 45-70 pre loaded are 300gr. Corbon. They really have a big HP do you think that would not expand if it gets clogged up with fur? The 308 has a smaller HP and may not get clogged up, and have better energy. I have been researching cross sectional density, and energy it is confusing to say the least and leaves me with more questions than answers. Big game guys shoot solids or SP, in large diamiter bullets,but I am stuck with cooper HP. If I decide on the 45-70 it will be a lung and heart shot, but if I bring the 308 I would think a head shot would be a quicker kill.

CACitUP
02-26-2011, 7:37 AM
I think a 22 behind the ear will work....

:)

craneman
02-26-2011, 8:57 AM
Well the time is getting closer guys and I still am questioning about which caliber to go with. The hunt has to be with cooper bullets, the heaviest 45-70 pre loaded are 300gr. Corbon. They really have a big HP do you think that would not expand if it gets clogged up with fur? The 308 has a smaller HP and may not get clogged up, and have better energy. I have been researching cross sectional density, and energy it is confusing to say the least and leaves me with more questions than answers. Big game guys shoot solids or SP, in large diamiter bullets,but I am stuck with cooper HP. If I decide on the 45-70 it will be a lung and heart shot, but if I bring the 308 I would think a head shot would be a quicker kill.

Seriously with the head shot? Unless that bullet is going to hit dead on square, it will not penetrate. More likely be deflected away from the brain and it will seriously wound the animal. The brain of a bison is quite small and surrounded by VERY HEAVY DENSE bone. The skull is way thicker and stronger that a normal cow. Once it is hit, it will be hurt and angry, likely move away from you (if your lucky, AT you if you're not), making a clean kill even more difficult. The heart is a bigger target and less protected. Hollow point 45-70 to the chest cavity will get better results for you and the bison. I grew up on a ranch that raised bison for the meat industry and have a pretty good understanding of them. An angry and wounded bison is not anything that you want to be anywhere near. They can make your day really bad, or worse, your last.

pieeater
02-26-2011, 1:53 PM
500 cows on 3800 acres no wonder you were feeding twice a day. lol

I spent a decade on a 3800 acre working cattle ranch feeding 500 head of cattle twice a day. Cows are dumb, lazy and greedy for food. Yes, they can charge, or hurt you in a panic, but come on, you arent really going to try and make a case that this is anything like a real hunt for a real wild animal. This is shooting a cow. I dont know if I would even bother to park the car. Just roll the window down and let er rip. And btw, there are No "Wild" cattle in the US.

duckman1
02-26-2011, 2:24 PM
I'd shoot the 45-70 going for a heart and lung shot. Tried and true buff cartridge and .300 grain slug should do the job.

Shoot-it
02-26-2011, 3:45 PM
308 will work if your going to be close to the animal with a head or neck shot.
the 45-70 is a better choice.

I shot a black powder Springfield trap door 45-70 with the 400 gr load it had a good kick but not anything a man can't not handle.The impact of the bullet hitting the back stop was impressive the bullet is not going that fast but has a lot of mass and it hits hard.

Shoot-it
02-26-2011, 3:57 PM

That is horrible a solid nose 22lr to the head would have been more humane.

CACitUP
02-26-2011, 5:36 PM
Ahhh to be young again.......

500 cows on 3800 acres no wonder you were feeding twice a day. lol

Tanner68
02-26-2011, 7:35 PM
I don't know if using a borrowed gun and unfamiliar ammo with copper bullets and iron sights (although nothing wrong with irons) and going for a head shot on a bison of all things is a good idea unless you put in a lot of practice before hand. You should consider your scoped 308 and plan on putting one in the boiler room.

Tanner68
02-26-2011, 7:35 PM
every time i see a thread in the hunting section with more than 1 page i can rest assured that there is some silly argument going on inside. :rolleyes:

to the OP, good luck with your Bison hunt. i would LOVE to have me some bison meat.

Nailed it.

Maddog5150
02-26-2011, 9:12 PM

Yeah! That would be the ideal bison hunt for me.

Had a friend go last weekend. He used a .338 Lapua and said the biggest challenge was avoiding killing a second with a pass through round.

FYI. Almost all bisen hunts in the US are of ranch raised animals that are destined to be burgers regardless of method of kill. Some huge percentage of the current Bison herd is owned by Ted turner for meat production. Wild herds are tightly and well managed.

I'd go with the 45/70, if just for the fun. Although you may want to ask your guide about the typical distances he sees on the property he guides. You may find yourself lobbing the 45/70 in like an 81mm if the distance goes beyond 200 or so meters. ;)

Have fun

Not trying to troll but...
a 338 lapua? He couldnt stalk a cow up close? My ancestors rode up to them on horse back and lance them so for me, shooting cow at 300-1500 yards is hunting the same way as bringing a gun to a mcdonalds. might as well stick to video games at that point.

180ls1
02-26-2011, 11:08 PM
Yeah! That would be the ideal bison hunt for me.

Not trying to troll but...
a 338 lapua? He couldnt stalk a cow up close? My ancestors rode up to them on horse back and lance them so for me, shooting cow at 300-1500 yards is hunting the same way as bringing a gun to a mcdonalds. might as well stick to video games at that point.

Agreed with the first comment, but not the second. While that setup may be overkill i say to each their own.

Maddog5150
02-27-2011, 2:19 AM
Agreed with the first comment, but not the second. While that setup may be overkill i say to each their own.

I agree to each thier own thus it being my opinion. Just wait til we are able to hunt with preditor drones. That's real hunting right? Its like a 4,000 mile range between me and the game but I pushed a button.

I dont know though in all seriousness if I would call that ethical hunting when you are hitting an animal at 1000 yards for example. Shoot a deer and even some kill shots will get it to run off a ways. At a 1000 yards, getting a shot to kill it on the spot is going to get pretty damn hard. So now you have to close a 1000 yards before starting on the trail to track your pray. An injured deer/elk/moose will still outrun you and you cant just say, "awwww screw it, I'll shoot something else." Just an honest opinion. The guy didnt say the distance his friend shot the cow but with a 338 lap dog, but I'm pretty confident it wasnt at a few hundred yards.

1st5
02-27-2011, 6:26 AM
Good luck with the hunt. Personally, if it were me, I'd borrow my brother's 45-70 rolling block if I didn't decide to use my recurve bow or my longbow. I'd sure like the opportunity to take a management bison for the freezer. The meat is great.

davebw226
02-27-2011, 8:51 AM
Who said anything about a thousand yards? I think they ended up about 250 yards from the target. I think they used the 338 because the next thing down from that that he had was a 308 and wanted to increase his odds of a clean ethical kill. Wow! A Lot of uninformed judgement going around today.

180ls1
02-27-2011, 12:24 PM
I agree to each thier own thus it being my opinion. Just wait til we are able to hunt with preditor drones. That's real hunting right? Its like a 4,000 mile range between me and the game but I pushed a button.

I dont know though in all seriousness if I would call that ethical hunting when you are hitting an animal at 1000 yards for example. Shoot a deer and even some kill shots will get it to run off a ways. At a 1000 yards, getting a shot to kill it on the spot is going to get pretty damn hard. So now you have to close a 1000 yards before starting on the trail to track your pray. An injured deer/elk/moose will still outrun you and you cant just say, "awwww screw it, I'll shoot something else." Just an honest opinion. The guy didnt say the distance his friend shot the cow but with a 338 lap dog, but I'm pretty confident it wasnt at a few hundred yards.

I see your point but im not going to pass judgement on the situation that i dont know that much about. Personally im just glad he got out there and is supporting our hobby that seems to be on the decline.

Shoot-it
02-28-2011, 12:47 AM
:rolleyes: or you could have asked for details before forming an uneducated opinion. it was 20 years ago. the cow was crazy, we had it corralled but getting it to cooperate from there was proving to be a nightmare(trying to get it in the shoot). he didn't intend on killing it, it just kind of happened.

One to many whacks across the head?
I have seen some crazy stuff to .

Coded-Dude
02-28-2011, 7:05 AM
yep...he was trying to get it out of the coral and into the chute(while also defending himself) he just hit it the wrong way. he started out with a cattle prod, but that was very ineffective. had he had a pistol on him i think he would have just put it down, but things happened so fast that there wasn't much he could do.

duckman1
02-28-2011, 7:33 AM
It's spelled "chute."

Sorry I can't help myself.

Coded-Dude
02-28-2011, 7:40 AM
:confused: isn't that how i spelled it?

Head416
03-02-2011, 9:28 AM
Anybody interested in buffalo should read this book: http://www.amazon.com/American-Buffalo-Search-Lost-Icon/dp/0385521685 American Buffalo: In Search of a Lost Icon, by Steven Rinella.

To call it "awesome" doesn't do it justice. The author tells the story of his hunt in Alaska, and intersperses it with the the history of the buffalo in North America. Full of information, an exciting hunting story, and written with everyday languange like guys sitting around the campfire. It may be the most amazing book I've ever read.