PDA

View Full Version : has anyone thought of this?

moulton
08-31-2006, 4:52 PM
I was reading the DOJ page and I quote

.50 BMG Restrictions and Registration Requirements
.50 bmg graphic

Effective January 1, 2005.

New California law restricts possession of .50 BMG rifles and requires that anyone who lawfully possessed one prior to January 1, 2005 register it by April 30, 2006.

Effective January 1, 2005, any person who lawfully possesses a .50 BMG rifle prior to January 1, 2005, is required to do one of the following by April 30, 2006:

* Complete and submit a .50 BMG Rifle Registration Application form along with $25.00 to the Department of Justice. Any number of .50 BMG rifles can be registered for the $25.00 fee provided they are submitted at the same time on the same day. Note: In addition to complete rifles, only fully functional serialized receivers may be legally registered. .50 BMG Rifle Registration Application forms can be obtained from licensed California firearms dealers, and the California Department of Justice Firearms Division at (916) 263-4887.

* Make arrangements with your local police or sheriff's office to relinquish your .50 BMG Rifle. CALL FIRST. DO NOT GO TO THE POLICE OR SHERIFF'S OFFICE WITHOUT FIRST MAKING ARRANGEMENTS.
or

* Remove the .50 BMG rifle from the state.

Please be aware that failure to comply with these requirements could result in criminal prosecution (Penal Code Section 12280).

What are the legalities of having .50 bmg pistols? They are not mentioned in the .50 bmg rifle ban so Im assuming they are legal. What are the legalities of putting a long barrel on the rifle (ie. normal .50 bmg rifle barrel) but leaving no stock so it is a pistol. Could you not mount the .50 bmg pistol on a tripod or similar divice?
Has anyone thought of this before? I lucked out on the .50 bmg rifle registration but maybe not this :D

moulton
08-31-2006, 4:54 PM
also if the pistol was a break action or bolt action it would not need to be CA approved:D

M. Sage
08-31-2006, 4:58 PM
Didn't T/C do a .50 bmg pistol once?

anotherone
08-31-2006, 5:08 PM
I doubt even arnold could handle the recoil on a .50 BMG pistol. There's a reason .50 rifles are a zillion pounds and often 6 or 7 feet long.

Mike Searson
08-31-2006, 5:11 PM
TC never made a 50 BMG pistol.
The only .50 BMG pistol ever made by a firearms manufacturer was Maadi-Griffin in the late 1980's...and I believe less than 10 were made.

.50 BMG pistols are considered detructive devices according to the Feds:

26 U.S.C. sec. 5845(f) "The term destructive device
means

2) any type of weapon by whatever name known which will, or may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of a explosive or other propellant, the barrel or barrels of which have a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter, except a shotgun or shotgun shell which the Secretary or his delegate finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes;

In pistols bore diameter is meausered groove to groove...in rifles it's measured land to land.
50 BMG barrel is .500" land-to-land, .510" groove-to-groove hence, .50 BMG pistols are considered destructive devices.

If your local petty tyrant will sign off on suppressors, full auto guns, short barreled shotguns, etc go for it!

grammaton76
08-31-2006, 5:16 PM
In pistols bore diameter is meausered groove to groove...in rifles it's measured land to land.
50 BMG barrel is .500" land-to-land, .510" groove-to-groove hence, .50 BMG pistols are considered destructive devices.

Aw man, that sucks - kills it right there. And here we were busy dreaming up creative tripod grips and things which wouldn't technically be "rifle" stocks... :(

The Soup Nazi
08-31-2006, 5:22 PM
Is .50 cal Action Express banned also or just BMG?

grammaton76
08-31-2006, 5:29 PM

BMG only. That's why my DE is legal, and why one of these days I wanna own one of those 50AE uppers for the AR. :) Well, or maybe Beowulf, not 100% sure either way.

Matt C
08-31-2006, 5:32 PM

It's just BMG

moulton
08-31-2006, 6:52 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad: ^#*%^$%&# ATF %$@&*%^*@$^ DOJ $(#@$&)@*)$*p))()(& UP THE *($&(*#&$)#ing Pole.:mad:

SemiAutoSam
08-31-2006, 6:55 PM
TC never made a 50 BMG pistol.
The only .50 BMG pistol ever made by a firearms manufacturer was Maadi-Griffin in the late 1980's...and I believe less than 10 were made.

.50 BMG pistols are considered detructive devices according to the Feds:

If your local petty tyrant will sign off on suppressors, full auto guns, short barreled shotguns, etc go for it!

SO would a rifle chambered in the Barrett caliber was it .416 be legal as a pistol ? or would the weight and the fact that the mag would or might be out of the area of the grip make it a AW according to law ?

brassburns
08-31-2006, 7:06 PM
What are the legalities of putting a long barrel on the rifle (ie. normal .50 bmg rifle barrel) but leaving no stock so it is a pistol. :D

I believe it is a violation of federal law to make a pistol from a rifle. In the old TV show "Wanted Dead or Alive" Steve McQueen used a cut-down Winchester rifle that had pistol-like qualities. The producers had a LEO on set so they could use the cut down rifle.

Randy

C.G.
08-31-2006, 7:17 PM
I believe it is a violation of federal law to make a pistol from a rifle. In the old TV show "Wanted Dead or Alive" Steve McQueen used a cut-down Winchester rifle that had pistol-like qualities. The producers had a LEO on set so they could use the cut down rifle.

Randy

Correct, once a lower has been registered as a rifle, it cannot be a pistol.

E__WOK
08-31-2006, 7:18 PM
Isn't there a maximum weight limit for handguns?

dwtt
08-31-2006, 10:20 PM
This would be a bad idea. If someone makes a .50BMG pistol available in the market place, even if it never shoots a round, then the govment can make a case that .50 BMG can be considered a pistol round. Ridiculous, but possible. Then all the .50 rounds I have become illegal because AP pistol rounds are illegal. If you want a .50 cal rifle, get the .50 DTC.

Pablo
08-31-2006, 10:46 PM
Isn't there a maximum weight limit for handguns?

Not anymore... with the Federal AWB dead, weight limit is not an issue anymore.

A nice pic for all you guys.:)

http://www.hunt101.com/img/359565.bmp (http://www.hunt101.com/?p=359565&c=500&z=1)

Mike Searson
09-02-2006, 9:38 AM

Randy

Not entirely true.

TC Contenders and Encores can go back and forth from rifle to pistol with no qualms at the federal level (See US Vs Thompson Center SCOTUS Decision).

In Nevada if you want to create a short barelled rifle or AOW you can do so out of what may have been a pistol. It just requires some extra paperwork, fingerprints and a one time $200 tax.

However, for general purposes...in California "Once a rifle always a rifle once a pistol always a pistol"

mikehaas
09-02-2006, 12:30 PM
You guys know me from http://calnra.com/, but also webmaster at http://fiftycal.org/

Recently posted several alifornia items regarding the DOJ regulatory change and other things. All linked off the homepage.

Mike

rorschach
09-02-2006, 7:01 PM
Jeez, I cant imagine firing a .50BMG pistol. As it is, I have issues with firing a .500 S&W. I bet a .50 BMG hand cannon could fracture wrists and dislocate elbows and such.

blkA4alb
09-02-2006, 7:08 PM
Jeez, I cant imagine firing a .50BMG pistol. As it is, I have issues with firing a .500 S&W. I bet a .50 BMG hand cannon could fracture wrists and dislocate elbows and such.
Doubtful, it would probably fly out of most people hands before someone could hold it strong enough to actually break a wrist.

adamsreeftank
09-02-2006, 7:59 PM
I think the pistol pictured above has a recoil system with shocks in addition to the large muzzle break. I'd like to shoot it sometimes, but I don't think it will ever make the CA "approved" list.