PDA

View Full Version : Is it just pointless to try and buy a handgun here now?

sd1
01-31-2011, 4:01 PM
Greetings All -

I have been considering for a while to purchase a handgun to take to a range and do some shooting with...I have previous shooting experience with handguns but have never owned one....but looking at the laws about handgun purchases here I feel like a criminal when trying to purchase a handgun..... I don't mind a police background check or fingerprinting but all the rest of it seems kind of ridiculous to me.....is their any way I can legally buy a handgun here with just a minimal amount of red tape?..i'm guessing a huge "NO" in relies here ..am I better off just trying to find a range that rents them out and do some shooting that way? if their even is such a thing anymore...I'm in So. Cal in the Inland Empire....appreciate any feedback and input on this but lease dont flame me to badly :D

SScott
01-31-2011, 4:04 PM
Go find your neighborhood drug dealer. Most likely he can hook you up with a gat without the 'red tape'

Rekrab
01-31-2011, 4:05 PM
Red tape? Eh...

Walk into your gun store, take the HSC, pick a gun, buy it, come back ten days later. Doesn't seem too difficult to me. It only seems overwhelming, once you get used to the goofiness it gets easier.

C&R Rifles are the easiest though, find someone with the rifle you want, hand him the money, he hands you the rifle. Done!

Deucer
01-31-2011, 4:05 PM
It's not as bad as it seems. Take a quick test that anyone should be able to pass. Purchase the gun & start the background check. Wait 10 days. Come back and pick up your gun. It's really that simple. Don't let that scare you off.

OC-Indian
01-31-2011, 4:06 PM
Work within the system or go without. And be sure to thank all the liberals you meet

CSACANNONEER
01-31-2011, 4:09 PM
As long as you're not a prohibited person or under 18, you can manufacture your own handgun with zero paperwork, no SN, no "registration", etc. Short of that, just go buy one, it's really not that hard to do. No matter what state you live in, you will need to fill out a 4473 when you buy a firearm from a dealer. My dealers now fill out the DROS "paperwork" on line so, I don't see the difference in paperwork between buying a gun in Ca or in a "free state". The big differences are that you will need to take a Handgun Safety test and wait ten days to pick it up.

sd1
01-31-2011, 4:10 PM
Go find your neighborhood drug dealer. Most likely he can hook you up with a gat without the 'red tape'

thanks for the flame right off there man.. a zinger too

sd1
01-31-2011, 4:11 PM
Red tape? Eh...

Walk into your gun store, take the HSC, pick a gun, buy it, come back ten days later. Doesn't seem too difficult to me. It only seems overwhelming, once you get used to the goofiness it gets easier.

C&R Rifles are the easiest though, find someone with the rifle you want, hand him the money, he hands you the rifle. Done!

Rifles are allowed at indoor ranges? I thought just outdoor ones

CSACANNONEER
01-31-2011, 4:13 PM
Rifles are allowed at indoor ranges? I thought just outdoor ones

Depends on the range. I used to work at an indoor range and we allowed everything up to and including 50BMGs.

sd1
01-31-2011, 4:17 PM
Depends on the range. I used to work at an indoor range and we allowed everything up to and including 50BMGs.

hmm ok...anyone happen to know of a list where I could find a ranges that rent handguns and rifles so I can see which one I would like to purchase>?...looking for one in the san gabriel valley or the inland empire please..... preferebly inland empire if possible....thank you for your fast replies ..really appreciate the help...

Rekrab
01-31-2011, 4:36 PM
Check the "Shoots, Meets and Range Stories" forum here for a thorough list.

sd1
01-31-2011, 4:41 PM
Check the "Shoots, Meets and Range Stories" forum here for a thorough list.

Thanks I just did and called up the Magnum Range...seemed like nice people there..... again..thanks for the help

SoCal Bob
01-31-2011, 7:50 PM
Welcome to Calguns. Here is a link to the DOJ - HSC study guide: http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/hscsg.pdf

Renting handguns is a great way to try out different kinds to see what you like. Unfortunately most Ranges will not rent a handgun to a single person, you must go with a buddy or have your own gun. Some people have chosen a permanent solution to what may have been temporary problems with rented guns at Ranges.

Don't overlook buying a .22 pistol like the Ruger 22/45. They are inexpensive to buy and shoot and are great for introducing others to shooting.

Good luck.

sd1
01-31-2011, 9:38 PM
I do understand why a lot of ranges here have that policy and I cant say as I blame them.....just when I thought I was done with schoolwork years ago...another test..oh goodie..lol
sheeeesh I should have just purchased one years ago so its my own fault.

sd1
01-31-2011, 9:40 PM
Btw..there's a gunshow near me this weekend in Ontario, do they usually have any decent deals on longuns there?

SoCal Bob
01-31-2011, 9:52 PM
I've only been to one gun show but from what I read here, you are more likely to get a better deal in the Calguns Marketplace forum or a local sale. Some of the C&R rifles are outstanding deals and are even better if you get your 03FFL (no test required). Check some of these out:

http://www.jgsales.com/index.php/c/c-r-guns/cPath/290

http://www.aimsurplus.com/catalog.aspx?groupid=254&name=Curio+%26+Relic+Firearms

J&G is in Prescott, AZ so it also makes for a great weekend getaway. C&R handguns can be purchased out of state if you have your 03FFL and brought back with you. You just need to fill out a DOJ registration form and mail it with a check for $19 within 5 days of returning to California. C&R rifles bought out of state do not need to be registered in California but both C&R handguns and rifles need to be recorded in your 03FFL book..

Kodemonkey
01-31-2011, 10:10 PM
The "test" is a joke. Don't sweat it. My wife answered the questions 100% correct and had no study material. You can download the study material for free at the CA DOJ website. It takes all of 5 minutes to take.

Totally unrelated, but what do functionally illiterate people do regarding this test? Are they being denied the right to own a gun because of a disability?

DeanW66
02-01-2011, 10:19 AM
Welcome aboard. Don't let the "red tape" scare you away. In fact, we need to keep buying to show that we are here.

loose_electron
02-01-2011, 10:25 AM
The "test" is a joke. Don't sweat it. My wife answered the questions 100% correct and had no study material. You can download the study material for free at the CA DOJ website. It takes all of 5 minutes to take.

Totally unrelated, but what do functionally illiterate people do regarding this test? Are they being denied the right to own a gun because of a disability?

Not sure about that, but they do offer a Braille version of the test if you can't see the text version. Thankfully though they don't have marksmanship as part of the HSC process for blind shooters!

(Just kiddin!):cool2:

Big E
02-01-2011, 2:19 PM

Not sure about that. I did see at one place (I won't say where) the guy administering the test read the questions to the guy. He saw me staring and said "there was nothing in the rules about reading". I smiled and moved on.

Anyway, welcome to Calguns. Go take your Test now. That way, when you find the gun you want you can just buy it and start it's 10 days in jail.

Wow, I just almost typed 30 days. Now that would suck.

Mongoblack23
02-01-2011, 3:10 PM
as the majority of the group has said, its really not thatbig of a process, my girlfriend just passed the HSC test after having studied the handbook a whopping day and a half. said most of it was common sense. want to avoid the hsc? join the military, go through basic and your exempt from it.... other than that, its an address, a matching vehicle registration(or other proof of residence), a thumb print, and a couple questions... you do it once or twice and it becomes simple...

zod
02-01-2011, 7:18 PM
I wouldn't let the system stop you. Work within the system and bring that baby home. Got to have at least one handgun for the home. Welcome aboard and good luck.

sd1
02-01-2011, 9:39 PM
Thanks All for the great info and greetings..much appreciated...(S) All