PDA

View Full Version : Smokeless Powder Possesion

Captain Eddie
01-31-2011, 1:37 PM
At the range this morning some guy (said he was (CDF Fireman) told me that it was illegal to posess more than 10 pounds of smokeless powder.
I did a quick scan of the Cal DOJ website and couldn't verify truth or fiction. Anyone here know the facts?

Coded-Dude
01-31-2011, 1:57 PM
i thought it was 20

Peripro
01-31-2011, 2:22 PM
20 lbs of smokeless without permit, or 1lb of black powder without permit.
http://law.justia.com/california/codes/2009/hsc/12101-12112.html

steamerjames
01-31-2011, 7:53 PM
Do some reaserch on this site, it's FIVE pounds of BP, this has been covered many times on this site.Don't spread FUD.

Dutch3
01-31-2011, 8:26 PM
Do some reaserch on this site, it's FIVE pounds of BP, this has been covered many times on this site.Don't spread FUD.

Cite please? I don't want to be a victim of FUD.

GrizzlyGuy
01-31-2011, 8:53 PM

Nope, Peripro was correct. See here in the FAQ:

How much gunpowder can I store in my home? (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ#How_much_gunpowder_can_I_store_in_my_home.3F)

Per state law, you may possess up to 20 lbs of smokeless powder and up to 1 lb of black powder, however, your local city or county ordinances may impose additional limits. Keep in mind that black powder substitutes like pyrodex are considered smokeless powder and would fall under the 20lb restriction as opposed to the 1lb black powder restriction.

Ref: CA Health and Safety 12102 (http://law.onecle.com/california/health/12102.html)

Captain Eddie
02-01-2011, 9:53 AM
Thanks everybody! Now if I could just figure why there's a limit. Wait! This the PRK and laws and regs don't have to make sense.

ELBong
02-01-2011, 12:16 PM
has anyone here obtained a permit to store more than 20 pounds of smokeless powder?

Flintlock Tom
02-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Rats!
I asked this question, about black powder, last year and was assured that Health and Safety code section 12102 only applied to licensed sellers and licensed pyro-technicians.
If this section DOES apply to private individuals:
1) and I have a flintlock rifle (and I do)
2) and that rifle requires two types of powder to shoot (and it does)
3) and I can only own 1 pound of powder at a time
4) and I can only buy BP in 1lb cans
how is it possible to shoot my gun?

mdimeo
02-01-2011, 2:33 PM
Thanks everybody! Now if I could just figure why there's a limit. Wait! This the PRK and laws and regs don't have to make sense.

Er, because it's dangerous in large amounts?

It's not the law I'd prefer to see (seems like you could craft a reasonable and not-very-annoying safe-storage law for larger amounts), but it's not what I'd call a nonsensical law.

Coded-Dude
02-01-2011, 2:59 PM
NFPA set the limit of safe storage at 20lbs IIRC.....anything over that requires special storage containers. but I do not believe that is not pertinent here in PRK(since the limit is 20).

choprzrul
02-01-2011, 3:50 PM
Can I possess 20lbs or less

--and--

my wife possess 20lbs or less

--and--

my son possess 20lbs or less

???

What is the max allowed per property/radius/diameter/proximity/control/etc...???

Not to mention:

12101. (a) No person shall do...

is singular in nature. Methinks this would allow for <20lbs per person per property and be easily within the law. However, IANAL and YMMV.

-hanko
02-01-2011, 11:47 PM
Rats!
I asked this question, about black powder, last year and was assured that Health and Safety code section 12102 only applied to licensed sellers and licensed pyro-technicians.
If this section DOES apply to private individuals:
1) and I have a flintlock rifle (and I do)
2) and that rifle requires two types of powder to shoot (and it does)
3) and I can only own 1 pound of powder at a time
4) and I can only buy BP in 1lb cans
how is it possible to shoot my gun?
Not that I'd expect the powder-nazi's to beat down your door...but you could split each can in half, pour half into a fresh container and you're left with half a pound of each.

just sayin';)

Captain Eddie
02-02-2011, 6:02 AM
Smokeless Powder is sold in containers specifically designed to not hold sufficient pressure to explode. If kept in original containers you could set off 1000 pounds and all you would get is a huge flash fire.
Gasoiline now, especially the new stuff with 10% ethanol, is really dangerous due to very low vapor pressure. If spilled, vapors quickly mix with air and you have an explosive situation.

Flintlock Tom
02-02-2011, 7:56 AM
Not that I'd expect the powder-nazi's to beat down your door...but you could split each can in half, pour half into a fresh container and you're left with half a pound of each.

just sayin';)

To do that I would have to start with two 1lb cans, violating the law.

Back on topic, sort of, I was thinking I'd try a new powder for my Ruger#1, .45-70. The IMR4895 I have been using doesn't seem to burn fast enough.
I was in Turner's this past week-end and looked at the powders they had available. I picked out a pound of IMR4198 and asked the price. $29! That's $10 more than it's available on-line. I thought: "oh, well", and took it to check-out. The girl there pushed a book at me and asked me to fill out the information. This is the first time I have bought powder locally and didn't know that I had to disclose so much info. I declined and had her put the powder back.
I guess I'll stick with group buys, on-line.

toyotaguy
02-02-2011, 8:19 AM

Back on topic, sort of, I was thinking I'd try a new powder for my Ruger#1, .45-70. The IMR4895 I have been using doesn't seem to burn fast enough.
I was in Turner's this past week-end and looked at the powders they had available. I picked out a pound of IMR4198 and asked the price. $29! That's $10 more than it's available on-line. I thought: "oh, well", and took it to check-out. The girl there pushed a book at me and asked me to fill out the information. This is the first time I have bought powder locally and didn't know that I had to disclose so much info. I declined and had her put the powder back.

Are you in Ca? I am and have never had to do more than show ID to verify my age to buy powder.

cmichini
02-02-2011, 8:36 AM

Silly rabbit. It's for the children!!

echoarms
02-02-2011, 8:56 AM

That's got to be reason #45869 not give turners $0.03 of your money. I've bought lots more powder than that at local retailers with no hassle.

motorhead
02-02-2011, 9:10 AM
fire codes. some local are more strict. the best source is you local fire marshal.

Calpoly93
02-02-2011, 12:42 PM
It is 12102.1 they quote at Turners to get your info. However, they "forget" this... To be fair, I beileve the county pushes them and they have no way to push back.

12102. This chapter does not apply to any possession or use of 20
pounds or less of smokeless powder, or one pound or less of black
sporting powder, provided that:
(a) Smokeless powder is intended only for hand loading of small
arms ammunition of .75 caliber or less.