View Full Version : Huh?

08-30-2006, 4:37 PM
So apparently while I was moving back to Merced, I missed some big development in the AR/AK thing, something about "detrimental reliance"? Any one care to explain to me what exactly this is all about?:confused:

08-30-2006, 5:02 PM
It's something Bill realized could apply.

AM's early letters stated that the Stag lower, etc, will be soon be added to the List (tm).

This meant that a number of people buying lowers, were doing so based on prior expectations of registration, based on AM's letter and prior precedent (1999, etc).

While I'm not personally convinced it necessarily applies in this scenario, I wouldn't mind seeing it given a shot.

This carries far more weight than IC saying, in person, "two weeks". AM's in writing.

08-31-2006, 12:39 AM
um, but how does that help us?

08-31-2006, 12:56 AM

Ah, ok. In a nutshell, should they decide not to list, it may give us grounds to sue them under detrimental reliance and "win" a listing/reg period.

08-31-2006, 1:01 AM

Personally I think our strongest two arguments are as follows:

#1 The February memo told us that we should build our rifles with fixed mags and that this would be the way we had to build them for our registration to be valid. Then in a stunning reversal the DOJ changed their position to "We're going to make you all felons overnight".

#2 The fact is that the DOJ approved the swinging mag Barret M-82CA as a "fixed mag" and allow them to be registered as .50 rifles. If the new regs are adopted then the people who own the M-82CA will have their registration invalidated :eek: !!! I guess you could also lump in people who purchased the Vulcan fixed mag rifles here too but the M-82CA is a stronger arguement.