PDA

View Full Version : M14E2 clamp-on muzzle stabilizer legality

bahazero
08-30-2006, 3:58 PM
I was wondering what the legality would be involving the installion slip on muzzle stablizer that was manufactured for the M14E2. The muzzle stabilizer slips on the flash hider via the bayonet lug. After sliping the muzzle stabilizer on, wouldn't it make it a muzzle brake. Wouldn't it then be legal for me to install it on my rifle? I mean as long as the stablizer is attached to the flash hider, wouldn't it be classified as a muzzle brake? What do you guys think?

WRENCHHEAD
08-30-2006, 4:02 PM
i don't think it would be legal, you still have the flash hider attached.

blkA4alb
08-30-2006, 4:04 PM
Someone posted a question nearly identical a week or so ago. My opinion is that it would have to be permantly attached (spot welded.) I would just avoid this though, remove the flash hider and get a different brake instead.

bwiese
08-30-2006, 4:06 PM
If the flash hider is still on the rifle and it has a detacahble magazine, it's an assault weapon.

Get a regular brake.

ketec_owner
08-30-2006, 4:57 PM
Yes but with the attachment on it - it's not a flash hider - it's function and purpose as a combined device is as a muzzle brake.

bahazero
08-30-2006, 5:45 PM
Yes but with the attachment on it - it's not a flash hider - it's function and purpose as a combined device is as a muzzle brake.

So technically it should be legal to install on our M1A rifles. I mean as long as you don't slip off the muzzle stabilizer off the flash hider while the "combined device" is on the rifle, it should be legal.

Looking at pictures of the M14E2 slip-on stabilizer, it seems that the whole combined device can be easily removed without having to first remove the slip on stabilizer first. The combine device is taken off by first removing the set screw, and then the castlenut. As long as the two devices are combined, I could see no problem installing it on the rifle.

WRENCHHEAD
08-30-2006, 7:05 PM

but the rifle still has a flash hider attached to it. so that won't fly.

ketec_owner
08-30-2006, 7:14 PM
Ok. fair enough.

m1aowner
08-30-2006, 9:03 PM
Those old E2 breaks are sure fugly looking.