PDA

View Full Version : I have an idea

Thrillbilly
08-30-2006, 12:00 PM
I had a thought, I am a member on a website called Numbersusa.com. For those of you not familiar with this site, it is a site where you can go to and send faxes to congress etc. regarding illegal immigration. The templates are pre written and if you wish to edit them prior to sending them you may. With the press of a button your fax is sent to the appropriate congressperson or state representative. Now I was thinking how hard would it be to set up something like this but for our cause? I myself do not possess the knowledge on how to set something like this up. I was wondering 1: does anyone here know how to go about setting something like this up and 2: If so would the members of this community want to support something like this. I know if someone did something like this I would be willing to donate money to help it get going. What are your thoughts on something like this?

chiefcrash
08-30-2006, 12:09 PM
i'm not sure how that site does it, but here's a way it *could* be done:

There's a service called Fax2Mail (www.fax2mail.com). Fax2Mail does 2 things:
1. faxes sent to a number get delivered to your email address in .pdf format
2. you can send emails to fax numbers

it'd be pretty easy to setup a webform that sends an email to a fax number through fax2mail. The problem is cost. Fax2Mail is $8 a month + 9 cents per fax. To use it on the scale we want, that can get expensive.

grammaton76
08-30-2006, 12:37 PM
It's not a fax thing, but the NRA does have the one-click email system that's sort of like this.

chiefcrash
08-30-2006, 1:45 PM
It's not a fax thing, but the NRA does have the one-click email system that's sort of like this.

i'm thinkin' that thrillbilly is thinking that faxes might have more impact than emails, plus if you can make it easy enough, people will do both fax and oneclick...

Thrillbilly
08-30-2006, 1:57 PM
I was thinking that another venue would be a good thing. I have emailed before and have gotten delivery failure messages. Besides I am looking at what others are doing and trying to see if we can use those ideas to help us as well. And yes I was thinking that people would fax and email.

Thrillbilly
08-30-2006, 8:32 PM
So based on the number of replies, this is not a good idea?

artherd
08-30-2006, 9:12 PM
I can (and have) put this together technically and monitarily speaking. The calls are not free however, they are relatively cheap (around a quarter per fax, depending on time.) There may even be a less expensive way. If there's enough interest, we'll do something.

jmlivingston
08-31-2006, 5:47 AM
What about using something like Skype and VoIP rather than a hard-line? Should be able to use the SkypeOut service and get free calls until the end of the year.

John

chiefcrash
08-31-2006, 6:47 AM
Fax2Mail is $8 a month + 9 cents per fax
artherd, that's the cost of one fax service. it works fairly well (we use it at our company, guess who's the admin)