PDA

View Full Version : Sac CCW - Almost 5 Months for Appt

Drivedabizness
01-30-2011, 5:44 PM
I just went to the Sheriffs web site and the first available date for an appointment is June 16th. In which case we'd be looking at something like 6-8 months in total - correct?

Is there anything the "right people" think can be done?

Sheriff Jones seems to want to do the right thing - but there has got to be a better way to streamline the process.

CSDGuy
01-30-2011, 6:02 PM
Think of it this way... The CCW licenses have been so popular that the SSD has been caught off-guard and is having to play catch-up from the word "go." About the only way they can streamline things is to temporarily put more staff on this, make more days available, and use electronic returns from the Live Scan process... In other words, you put in your application, they run you quickly to see if you're prohibited, and then send you for Live Scan. Once you're "cleared" you then come back for a quick rice paper signing as long as you have training evidence...

but that won't be for a while... me thinks.

hoffmang
01-30-2011, 8:04 PM
Each time we've seen a spike in delayed appointment times, people who made long out appointments were moved to sooner dates. Reading between the lines I think they bring in temp retired SO folks when demand builds up.

-Gene

pyromensch
01-30-2011, 8:14 PM
set up my 1st interview, in nov, had the appt on jan 27. i had heard that they were filling in opened appts, because they expanded their staff, prior to my appt, without moving mine, or others up. unfortunately, as the word gets out, the more people are going to apply, and the later the appts are going to get. they are genuinely trying to "streamline" the process. from what i understand, there is a calendar of appts, that you can access online. best bet, keep up on it, and try to jump in on any vacancies, that pop up. i was told that their "commity" meets in mid feb, to decide, who to give the go, and the no-gos to. at that point, you continue the process with, live scan, and required training certification.

Lrchops
01-30-2011, 8:18 PM
They hired a couple on-call retired annuitants to help out part time. Double dippin retireees!!!

yellowfin
01-30-2011, 8:40 PM
How many CCW's have come from Sacto since the green light?

harbinger007
01-30-2011, 9:12 PM
How many CCW's have come from Sacto since the green light?

According to the Sacramento Bee editorial last week (see http://www.sacbee.com/2011/01/25/3348698/county-city-need-to-work-as-one.html) there were 175 approved and 21 denied last year. I had thought the number was going to be higher. Sometime around early December the SSD was quoted in the Bee that there were 500 CCWs approved or in the works. I'm one of the 175 and thought there more issued the way things were taking longer, but it's obviously still ramping up.

Andy Taylor
01-30-2011, 9:28 PM
I set my appt in Oct, before the online apt calendar was available. My apt is Feb 10. I know others got moved up. Mine did not. Luck of the draw I guess.
It is not the time for the right people to rock the boat. The boat has been rocked. The system was set up for very few applicants, because everyone knew that most applicants would be denied, so very few bothered to even try. Once the gates opened, the system was not able to handle the influx of apps. It has improved, and will continue to improve. The Sheriffs office will get a better handle on what it needs to do to serve the volume of apps. Also the number of apps will decline as those of us who have wanted a Sac CCW for years, or even decades, complete the process. Leaving only those who have not been waiting for the time to apply.

jb7706
01-30-2011, 9:28 PM
According to the Sacramento Bee editorial last week (see http://www.sacbee.com/2011/01/25/3348698/county-city-need-to-work-as-one.html) there were 175 approved and 21 denied last year. I had thought the number was going to be higher. Sometime around early December the SSD was quoted in the Bee that there were 500 CCWs approved or in the works. I'm one of the 175 and thought there more issued the way things were taking longer, but it's obviously still ramping up.

There was a later op-ed that put the current number at 446 issued in the county with another 200 pending. Assuming the author did proper research, but 446 passes the smell test. http://www.sacbee.com/2011/01/25/3348698/county-city-need-to-work-as-one.html

harbinger007
01-30-2011, 9:41 PM
There was a later op-ed that put the current number at 446 issued in the county with another 200 pending. Assuming the author did proper research, but 446 passes the smell test. http://www.sacbee.com/2011/01/25/3348698/county-city-need-to-work-as-one.html

That's the same op-ed I linked to. Of the 446, 175 were to permit holders approved in 2010 (the rest were approved in prior years).

NotEnufGarage
01-30-2011, 9:53 PM
Assuming 18 appointment per day and 2 days of appointments per week, there are over 700 people waiting to apply for an initial permit. Add to that probably another 200 to 400 already in the pipeline and there should be 1500 new CCW's in Sac County in the not too distant future.

Of course, you just know that Brazille and the Bee are waiting with baited breath for the very first incident involving a CCW holder, right, so be careful out there.

jb7706
01-31-2011, 6:22 AM
That's the same op-ed I linked to. Of the 446, 175 were to permit holders approved in 2010 (the rest were approved in prior years).

Jeeze, that's what I get for not clicking the link. Sorry man. Thought you were referring to the op-ed that was published previous to that one. Please ignore my previous post, I'm obviously posting without a clue.

762cavalier
01-31-2011, 6:42 AM
Jeeze, that's what I get for not clicking the link. Sorry man. Thought you were referring to the op-ed that was published previous to that one. Please ignore my previous post, I'm obviously posting without a clue.

That's OK jb you fit in just like many posters here. :D:p

My appt is in April. It would be nice if it was moved up, but at this point I am happy just to have a chance to get one.

harbinger007
01-31-2011, 6:43 AM
No problem, Jim, it's understandable as the 175 number is certainly lower than what we expected with all of the activity going on last year. I sure am glad that I applied when I did. The wait back then (5 weeks for an appointment for me) seemed ridiculous.

mtptwo
01-31-2011, 11:55 AM
When I was there for my appointment, they had two new people working there just to handle CCW applications. One poor guy retired twice, and they still brought him back.

jb7706
01-31-2011, 1:40 PM
... I sure am glad that I applied when I did. The wait back then (5 weeks for an appointment for me) seemed ridiculous.

I hear you. I'm glad I got the money together to get it done when I did. I think start to finish it was 4 months almost exactly for me. 5 months just to walk in the door is worse than I thought, but not as bad as it could be.

NightOwl
01-31-2011, 1:44 PM
Must be nice to live in a state like AZ with no wait time. Or even somewhere like Idaho, where it takes about 15-20 minutes to get a CCW.

What I'm getting at is these wait times are horrible.

EBR Works
01-31-2011, 1:57 PM
5 months is nothing. Ventura county took 11 months from app date to issue for me. I was told to get my renewal app in 4 months prior to expiration this year. Hopefully, this will change soon....

pyromensch
01-31-2011, 8:20 PM
the sooner that you are approved, the sooner it will expire, and need to be renewed, if that will be allowed in the future

Swift Justice
02-01-2011, 8:51 AM
Although I scheduled my initial appointment prior to the online system (6 week wait), I scheduled my final appointment under the online system, and was able to move it up two weeks after I scheduled it because the online system came up with some earlier openings. After I scheduled my updated appointment and canceled my later one, the online system showed my later time as now being available again for someone else.

Moral of the story is check back on the online system often in case of cancellations so that you can move your appointment time up.

Keith(CA)
02-01-2011, 12:46 PM
Each time we've seen a spike in delayed appointment times, people who made long out appointments were moved to sooner dates. Reading between the lines I think they bring in temp retired SO folks when demand builds up.

-Gene
It took three weeks for my appointment to make a change to my permit. I saw Amber this morning, and she said they have made all the hours/personnel/shift changes they possibly can at the moment. They're currently getting through about 40 new applicants per week, and that is pretty much going to be their capacity for the foreseeable future.

The online appointment system worked awesome for me. Three weeks was fine since I wasn't in a rush. I never even bothered to check to see if there was an earlier opening since I was only adding to my permit.

I unexpectedly ran into an acquaintance in the lobby there and it turns out we both had the same time scheduled with Amber (he was putting the final signature on his soon-to-be-issued CCW). We were allowed to go up at the same time, and we were both in and out in about 10 minutes total. That said, with the volume they've been seeing, they have really improved and streamlined everywhere they can. I think they were going through about 20 applicants per week in October, so they've doubled since then.

One thing...Amber did confirm that as of next week they are going to charge a fee for issuing a new permit ($20 I think). So this is the last week that changes to your Sacramento CCW permit are free.

CHS
02-01-2011, 3:21 PM
What, exactly, is taking them so long?

Why do they need an appointment?

Why aren't they reviewing the good cause statement: "Self Defense", running the background check, and then just issuing the CCW once the applicant passes the background check?

40 CCW's a week? Seems like they could be doing 40/day.