PDA

View Full Version : Kel-Tec Su-16 or Ruger Mini-14?

spunk2
08-30-2006, 10:12 AM
This has probably been beaten to death, a few times.
Which rifle is better for SHTF? The Kel-Tec can handle 5.56 the Ruger can not. I have heard the Kel-Tec has reliability issues. - It starts to fail after 200 rounds. I don't know if this is true or not. Can anyone confirm or debunk this? Does anyone have experience shooting 1000 rounds without cleaning on either rifle?

Thanks Guys.

----------------------------------------------------------------
"The only thing nessesary for evil to triumph is for good men to stand by and do nothing."

C.G.
08-30-2006, 10:25 AM
Which rifle is better for SHTF? The Kel-Tec can handle 5.56 the Ruger can not. I have heard the Kel-Tec has reliability issues. - It starts to fail after 200 rounds. I don't know if this is true or not. Can anyone confirm or debunk this? Does anyone have experience shooting 1000 rounds without cleaning on either rifle?

Thanks Guys.

Yes, this topic has been done to death, you might want to do a search. Let me start you off:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=38782
Most of what you are asking is wrong info, not sure about the not cleaning.

mailman
08-30-2006, 10:27 AM
i don't like the Mini 14's, the Keltec is much more of a straight shooter, i put about 800 rds through my keltec and only cleaned it once, if u have pre ban high caps AR mags, i would definatly get the keltec!

EBWhite
08-30-2006, 10:27 AM
Keltec has a lifetime warranty. Keltec's do not fail after 200 rds. They do take AR mags which is a plus. Mini 14's take a special mag and all the 10rd+ are junk unless you get a factory one (of course you needed to do this before 2000). Also, ruger is pretty anti AW and sucks liberal groins- so it makes me mad to buy a new ruger.

Tough call, i'd prob go with the keltec.

mailman
08-30-2006, 10:29 AM
beat u ;) :p

JHC
08-30-2006, 10:44 AM
Another vote for the SU here since I'm a preban mag owner and it's so light, however there is some truth to it having problems though, mine tends to get a case jambed in the chamber every now and then especially with Wolf ammo (the gold stuff and the grey), I need to send it to Kel-tec but havn't yet.

sac7000
08-30-2006, 11:03 AM
If you already have a few AR's in your barn, get the Keltec. I bought a new Ranch model mini-14 before I had any AR's and sold it 30 days later. It just didn't do it for me. I like the round but not the rifle.

creampuff
08-30-2006, 11:50 AM
Which rifle is better for SHTF? The Kel-Tec can handle 5.56 the Ruger can not.

I think the newest release of Mini-14's are now chambered for the 5.56. Out of the box, the mini-14 has accuracy issues due to its skinny barrel. However, it is a minute of man rifle, not a MOA rifle, unless you are willing to send it out for accuracy work.

EBWhite
08-30-2006, 12:04 PM
beat u ;) :p

;)
lol that was good

bu-bye
08-30-2006, 12:07 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Not again

There are a thousand and one threads about just this topic from coast to coast on every gun board. There is enough to keep anyone busy reading for weeks.

NoobShooter
08-30-2006, 11:53 PM
Save your money and get yourself a real gun...hehehehehe

My bro sold his Keltec for a OLL AR-15... loved the AR-15 from the minute a round spewed from the barrel...

Or save your money and get yourself a M1A... like I did.. :) My first real gun!!!