PDA

View Full Version : people with built AKs, got a question.

PanzerAce
08-30-2006, 7:49 AM
Did you build it yourself, or send it off to be built. Also, if you built it yourself, what did you discover that is not covered in the guide you used? For those that sent it off, who did you send it off to (assuming that they are OK with the info being posted), how long did it take, and how was the final product?

ivanimal
08-30-2006, 9:00 AM
Definitely use the e-clips instead of the springs supplied for the pin retainers. These hold in the triger and safety.

mailman
08-30-2006, 9:05 AM
Definitely use the e-clips instead of the springs supplied for the pin retainers. These hold in the triger and safety.

+1

where do u get e-clips?????, the pin retainer was one of the most dificult parts of my build, what a pain in the u know what!

Harbinger
08-30-2006, 9:09 AM
Still in the process of building my franken-Saiga. She's going to be UGLY AS SIN, but c'mon, it's an "AK".

I've been building it mostly myself... with the help of a fellow AK builder who has a 12-ton press. The hardest part was 'precision' drilling trunion holes and modifying the receiver to fit everything.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND buying an ITM ARMS / OOW receiver for your first build. It has no pre-drilled trunion holes and is pretty far out of spec. Much of my time has been spent shaving and drilling to make everything work. I even had to bend the entire receiver because the cross-pin was installed askew from the factory.

Mike

Pokey
08-30-2006, 9:41 AM
I have built 2 myself. 1 screw build, 1 rivet. Rivet was easier, alittle more involved and a little more intimidating at first but easier (if that makes sense). I used Armory USA/ Global trades receivers - very happy with them. They took a while to get here but I ordered them parkerized with the trigger guards installed. From previous experience I used the alignment tool in the guide, drilled small, then used dremel and large bits to get an exact fit on the rivet holes (previous build had too much slop from egged out holes - caused some grief). I think you appreciate them a little more when you build them yourself. Plus its a total rush firing those first few rounds and having everything work right.:D

JHC
08-30-2006, 10:01 AM
I've built 2 for me and helped a friend build 2 as well.I built on Ewbanks receivers I bought before the Nodaks were available and although acceptable they take a lot of filing. Using my friends NDS receivers, the rifles went together without a hitch.

I use a combination of rivits and Udrives, with the Udrives being installed in the upper front trunion to avoid pulling the barrel. Another cheat I'd consider is using the trigger guard plate from AKbuilder because riviting the trigger guard is my least favorite part. As far as the E-clips go, I have used them and they work better than the wire hooks but I like my plate from Redstar much better. By the way barbaque paint works pretty good if you bake it afterwards,..and no you wont taste it in your food later.

http://www.ak-builder.com/ak/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=65

grammaton76
08-30-2006, 11:07 AM
+1

where do u get e-clips?????, the pin retainer was one of the most dificult parts of my build, what a pain in the u know what!

Home Depot and Dixieline both carry them, probably Lowes as well. Automotive stores (NAPA, etc) do too.

The thing is, they're called e-clips and I think speed clips and yet another thing.

As for the original question - got 19 receivers, one AK fully built (cycled great at the range), a few partials, and started the demil on my RPK kit. Not sending off for anything. In fact, I'm kinda interested in finding a way I can do the finishing myself. I know dura-cote would work, but I'd rather blue it or zinc it or however it is that they finished the Romanian's to begin with. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any info on that...

PanzerAce
08-30-2006, 3:43 PM
damn gram, 19? what are you trying to do, give the politicians heart attacks?

As for how I plan on building it, I want to do a rivet build on a NDS-3, any body have some specific suggestions for that setup?

grammaton76
08-30-2006, 3:45 PM
damn gram, 19? what are you trying to do, give the politicians heart attacks?

Naw, just want a few of each. :) Until the NDS-1 and NDS-2 came out, I had at least one of each kind of receiver they have.

As for how I plan on building it, I want to do a rivet build on a NDS-3, any body have some specific suggestions for that setup?

Suggestions like what? Tools? Procedures? Kit recommendations? If it's the latter, I recommend a Romanian G kit; they're ubiquitous and easy to build.

The entirety of my writings on the subject can be found below:

http://thegunwiki.com/view/Gunwiki/BuildingGuns

leelaw
08-30-2006, 4:42 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=37949

That's my write-up on my Yugo M70AB2 parts kit on a DCI receiver, built by Arizona Expert Arms.

I opted for the Red Star Arms retaining plate instead of E-clips. I liked the ease of removal more than the clips.

IvanAnimal can put in his comments on the finish - the thing looks (and functions) awesome.

wayoutwest
08-30-2006, 5:00 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=37949

That's my write-up on my Yugo M70AB2 parts kit on a DCI receiver, built by Arizona Expert Arms.

I opted for the Red Star Arms retaining plate instead of E-clips. I liked the ease of removal more than the clips.

IvanAnimal can put in his comments on the finish - the thing looks (and functions) awesome.

I will second this, it makes removal super easy, I had a hard time with the e-clip not being thick enough and and having to fight the corner of the lower rail on the hammer pin/spring.

As for the build, I think the screw build is easier as you dont have to remove all the old rivits and as long as you tap slow and straight it turns out nice. I have build 2.5 myself, helped another member with his 1.6 GT receiver(big chore) and started helping another member with a Yugo/DCI build.

As for finish, I tried BBQ, High Temp paint as well as black appliance epoxy(nice durable but high gloss). Alumihyde II (sp?) works well but takes along time to cure. I am trying Gun-kote next since I just got a small compressor.

Brooklyn
08-30-2006, 5:16 PM
Home constructed Romanian AKM rivet build with an DCI NDS-3 receiver. After you fabricate the tools for removal/install everything comes together pretty easily. If your not the handy type I would have someone else build it for you. I also recommend the red star arms retaining plate. Not because centerfire left the retaining wire out of my kit, but because its sooo much easier to install and remove the FCG for cleaning. Worth every penny. :D

dwtt
09-01-2006, 7:56 AM
I assembled one with U-drive screws and went gripless so I can use the 30-rd magazines I had. I second the advice to use E-clips instead of the spring to hold the hammer and trigger pins in place.
Also, during the demilling process, the online guide says to drill out the rear trunnion rivets with a through hole and then drive out the remaining rivet material with a punch. On the first build, I did this and it was still a pain to get the rivet out. On the second build, I drilled out the rivet only partially, with a blind hole. Then I put a punch into the blind hole and drove out the rivets with a lot less force and "complications".
Since I used U-rive screws, I didn't have to deal with the problem of driving out the barrel pin on the front trunnion.

ivanimal
09-01-2006, 8:04 AM
+1

I got mine at Ace hardware. They have metal bins with specialy parts near the screws. I doubled up on the eclips and they fit better if not perfect. They were .07 each so buy a bunch. be sure to take the pin with you for sizing. They had a lot to choose from.

As for the finish on the Arizona expert arms all I can say is WOW, it is too bad Derrik did not get along here. I actually called him and squared it up between him and I, but he was intollerant of the whole calguns crowd in general. He does incredible work.

mailman
09-01-2006, 8:35 AM
thanks;)

I just googled the retaining plate, looks like a cool idea.

Did you build it yourself, or send it off to be built. Also, if you built it yourself, what did you discover that is not covered in the guide you used? For those that sent it off, who did you send it off to (assuming that they are OK with the info being posted), how long did it take, and how was the final product?

here is the u drives i used on the front trunion of a Romi

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a297/Davebanger/9.jpg

Bishop
09-01-2006, 8:37 AM
Well, I've never built one, but I've gathered plenty of info in prepairation for my build!

http://gunsgutsandgod.com/SBS%20tutorial.htm
That was probably the best tutorial I could find. If you want more info; pm me. I've got about 30 good links to building and parts info.

PanzerAce
09-01-2006, 8:40 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I am 99% sure that I am going to get a smith to build it, partly because I dont have the tools to build one, and partly because as a college student, I want it done right the first time. And while I can understan their position, I wish Azex would reconsider :(