PDA

View Full Version : Utah Non-Resident CCW Permit Class - Brea, CA (Orange County/Los Angeles Area)

JimAmentler
08-30-2006, 8:24 AM
CLASSES WILL RESUME WHEN I RETURN FROM IRAQ FALL 2008

Here is the info for the class:

This 4 hour class is for the Utah concealed carry permit which is available to residents of any state. The course is $100.00. There is no range time for this course. Please do not bring any firearms to class. The Utah permit is recognized in 29 different states for those that are not residents of Utah!

Payment guarantees you a seat in class. You must register in advance for this course.

Date: October 28, 2007

Time: 6:30PM - 10:30PM (New rule by Utah BCI states that the course MUST be 4 hours minimum)

in association with:
AllSafe Defense Systems
1026 N. Tustin Street
Orange, CA 92867

All materials, syllabus, annotated laws, applications and fingerprint cards will be provided by the instructor. You will need to be fingerprinted, and your application will require your signature be notarized.

Here is a list of states that honor the Utah Non-Resident CCW permit:

Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
Delaware
Georgia
Idaho
Indiana
Kentucky
Louisiana
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
New Mexico
NEVADA - AS OF OCTOBER 01, 2007!
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
Wyoming

Who is Eligible?

*Minimum requirements for application for a concealed firearms permit in Utah are:
•Applicant must be at least 21 years of age
•Proof of good character...whereas the applicant;
°has not been convicted of a felony;
°has not been convicted of any crime of violence;
°has not been convicted of any offenses involving the unlawful use of narcotics or other controlled substances;
°has not been convicted of any offenses involving moral turpitude;
°has not been convicted of any offense involving domestic violence;
°has not been adjudicated by a court of a state or of the United States as mentally incompetent, unless the adjudication has been withdrawn or reversed
° has completed any and all requrements of a conviction of any offense involving the use of alcohol at least 6 years prior to applying

*A criminal background check is conducted for all applicants

Private or group classes available.

Call 916-215-9148 or e-mail jim@alphasafetytraining.com for further info.

gose
08-30-2006, 9:33 AM
Maybe you want to make it clear that aliens are only eligible if they are allowed to possess firearms in the US, ie, no H1B, L1, F1 holders unless they fall within one of the exceptions according to 18 USC 922(y)(2).

JimAmentler
09-12-2006, 11:02 PM
This class is coming up in less than a week. I can be contacted as stated in the original post in this thread until 11PM Wednesday. From Thursday through Sunday until 4PM, I will be at Camp Pendleton and can be contacted for further info about this class at:

Seats are still available for this class!

Spawn_X
09-13-2006, 7:48 AM
I am in. Will the carry weapon be listed anywhere - do I need to bring the serial numbers to class?

Thanks

Bimmerworld
09-13-2006, 8:10 AM
Will there be additional classes in the Los Angeles area next year?

JimAmentler
09-13-2006, 8:12 AM
I am in. Will the carry weapon be listed anywhere - do I need to bring the serial numbers to class?

Thanks

Great! I look forward to meeting you.

One of the many benefits of the Utah permit is that you do not need to list your weapons on the permit. No serial numbers needed. You can carry any of your legally owned, concealable handguns with this permit.

JimAmentler
09-13-2006, 8:14 AM
Will there be additional classes in the Los Angeles area next year?

Yes. We will finalize the date for the next class this weekend. Most likely October 15th. I will update this thread as soon as the date is firm.

jester
09-13-2006, 8:46 AM
Jim, I'm interested also in a later class as I won't be able to attend this next one.

JimAmentler
09-13-2006, 8:49 AM
Jim, I'm interested also in a later class as I won't be able to attend this next one.

Jester,

Thank you for your interest. I will definitely post a firm date next week.

Sharkill
09-13-2006, 9:29 AM
I am in. Jim, called and left message for you. what material if any I need to bring?

Mike

chiefcrash
09-13-2006, 9:36 AM
i wish there were a class a little further north...

SF bay area to LA is a hell of a drive...

Sharkill
09-13-2006, 10:01 AM
i wish there were a class a little further north...

SF bay area to LA is a hell of a drive...
Check Jim's original post, there is class on October 1 in San Jose.

chiefcrash
09-13-2006, 12:06 PM
Check Jim's original post, there is class on October 1 in San Jose.

awesome! for some reason, i saw that but it read as "san diego" in my head...

i need to put down the booze while i'm at work...

ibbryn
09-13-2006, 1:34 PM
Jim,
I'm like to attend the mid Oct class. I'll watch this thread for details so please update it when appropriate.

Thanks

chiefcrash
09-13-2006, 3:39 PM
you know, i realized that october 1st i'm gonna be at the mustang range machinegun shoot.

do you anticipate more classes in norcal in the future?

Sharkill
09-13-2006, 7:43 PM
Jim, I will bring a friend as well. See you in class.

JimAmentler
09-13-2006, 11:01 PM
Jim,
I'm like to attend the mid Oct class. I'll watch this thread for details so please update it when appropriate.

Thanks
Thank you for your interest! I will update the October date next week when I return from SoCal.

JimAmentler
09-13-2006, 11:05 PM
you know, i realized that october 1st i'm gonna be at the mustang range machinegun shoot.

do you anticipate more classes in norcal in the future?

Sounds like a good time in NV for you! Enjoy!

Further San Jose classes are definitely in the works. If you are interested in a trip to Sacramento, I will be holding a class on Saturday September 23rd.

JimAmentler
09-13-2006, 11:05 PM
Jim, I will bring a friend as well. See you in class.

Good to speak to you this morning! I look forward to meeting you both on Sunday.

JimAmentler
09-24-2006, 10:59 PM
The first post is updated with a new date. The October class will be held on the 22nd. If you have any questions feel free to either post them in this thread, e-mail me or call.

Sharkill
09-25-2006, 8:26 PM
I highly recommand this class if anyone wants CCW. It was easy and informative.

Jim, I send my application in today, and will inform you when I get permit.

Mike Z.

JimAmentler
09-25-2006, 8:32 PM

Mike Z.

Mike,

Thank you for the recommendation!

I look forward to your letting me know how long it takes for your permit so that I can let further classes know the turnaround time.

jester
09-26-2006, 8:38 AM
Jim, is there a notary on site?

JimAmentler
09-27-2006, 8:33 AM
Jim, is there a notary on site?

There is not, at this time, a notary on site.

JimAmentler
10-15-2006, 9:44 PM

Mike Z.

Thank you Mike. It was great to meet you. I appreciate you remembering to let me know when your permit arrives so that I can give other classes a heads up on turn around times.

JimAmentler
10-19-2006, 7:35 PM
Just a bump for this and to let anyone else interested in this class to contact me on my cell or at my USMC.mil e-mail address after midnight tonight until Sunday. We still have a few spots open if you would like to attend this class.

ibbryn
10-23-2006, 12:20 PM
Highly recommend this class as a relatively painless way to get a Utah CCW.

Jim was very helpful and took extra time with me to make sure we had covered all the material necessary for the process.

Looking forward to getting my Utah CCW so I can give a symbolic razzberry to my local "won't issue" police chief.

rips31
10-23-2006, 1:05 PM
+1. class is great. just wish it didn't take 2mo to get the ccw. lol.

Ryan HBC
10-23-2006, 4:32 PM
Jim is the man.

That is all.

New Shooter II
10-23-2006, 9:08 PM
When is the next class??????

JimAmentler
10-24-2006, 10:31 PM
Highly recommend this class as a relatively painless way to get a Utah CCW.

Jim was very helpful and took extra time with me to make sure we had covered all the material necessary for the process.

Looking forward to getting my Utah CCW so I can give a symbolic razzberry to my local "won't issue" police chief.

Thank you sir! It was my pleasure. I very much enjoy teaching. It was nice to meet you both!

JimAmentler
10-24-2006, 10:34 PM
Rips31, Ryan HBC and everyone else that was at the class, thank you! It was my pleasure meeting you all and teaching the class. Keep in touch and if you have ANY questions or concerns, let me know and I will do everything that I can to help.

Don't forget to let me know when your permits arrive so that I can advise future students about turn-around time!

JimAmentler
10-24-2006, 10:36 PM
When is the next class??????

New Shooter II, the next class in Brea is December 10, 2006! I will update the first post in this thread to reflect that date.

rips31
10-26-2006, 4:40 PM
Rips31, Ryan HBC and everyone else that was at the class, thank you! It was my pleasure meeting you all and teaching the class. Keep in touch and if you have ANY questions or concerns, let me know and I will do everything that I can to help.

Don't forget to let me know when your permits arrive so that I can advise future students about turn-around time!
lol...jim, i was at the march 2006 in san jose. i lolly-gagged in getting fingerprinted, photo'd, and notarized until june. my permit showed up in august. so, it took the full 2mo that the application said it would.

of course, there were a couple of articles out of utah that said that there wasn't enough staff to process all the applications, so it was taking the full time.

thanks again.

JimAmentler
12-07-2006, 11:07 PM
Change of venue for the December 10, 2006 class! We will now be at the Embassy Suites Hotel at the following address:

900 E. Birch Street
Brea, CA 92821

This is just a very short distance from the previous class address.

Diabolus
12-08-2006, 3:26 AM
I am interested in this class and I am also a Notary Public, any chance I could join and provide notarizations for people?

JimAmentler
12-08-2006, 5:45 AM
I am interested in this class and I am also a Notary Public, any chance I could join and provide notarizations for people?

I have sent you a response to your PM. See you at the class!

Diabolus
12-08-2006, 7:14 AM
Would anyone that is coming to the class be interested in using me as the notary?

aileron
12-08-2006, 12:10 PM
Would anyone that is coming to the class be interested in using me as the notary?

Sure. Im hoping to be there.

Diabolus
12-08-2006, 12:20 PM
Unfortunately, I am going to skip this weekend due to the holidays. I spoke with Jim today, what a great guy - lots of information and was very friendly.

He said there may be a class in Feb. so I will be sure to attend that and I will bring my notary supplies.

Happy Holidays to you all.

Sharkill
12-19-2006, 5:21 PM
I finally got my Utah CCW, it took 80 days turnaround time.

JimAmentler
12-19-2006, 8:44 PM
I finally got my Utah CCW, it took 80 days turnaround time.

Glad it arrived! Merry Christmas! :D Hopefully the Utah legislature will change some things so that BCI gets more funding. All the money from the permits goes into the general fund rather than into BCI.

newtothis
12-19-2006, 9:25 PM
Just got mine as well. I submitted my app to Utah late. I was at the SJGE call a few months ago.

Jim. there was a note with the CCW that said it was pending FBI check. Do you know how long that takes? I would have thought they would check with FBI before sending out the CCW permit.

HK fan
12-19-2006, 9:51 PM
how does this help me out in california?

JimAmentler
12-20-2006, 8:27 AM
Just got mine as well. I submitted my app to Utah late. I was at the SJGE call a few months ago.

Jim. there was a note with the CCW that said it was pending FBI check. Do you know how long that takes? I would have thought they would check with FBI before sending out the CCW permit.

The FBI check time varies. But you'll only hear from Utah BCI if you do not pass the FBI check at which point your permit will be revoked. They've been sending that note along with the permit for years now. When I originally got my permit that was included as well.

Congrats on the permit!

JimAmentler
12-20-2006, 8:34 AM
how does this help me out in california?

It helps if you travel to any of the states that honor the Utah permit. Utah actively seeks out reciprocity with other states and will hopefully continue to add other states to the list of those that honor their permit. Of course, CA doesn't honor anyone else's permit so it's a no go there.

Some are of the opinion that having another states permit will help in their quest for a CA CCW. Some don't think that an out of state permit helps to get a CA CCW at all.

artherd
12-20-2006, 9:36 PM
I am driving to texas sometime in the next month; with Utah and/or Florida CCW permit, I can carry in *every single state on my journey*, except of course California.

JimAmentler
12-20-2006, 10:47 PM
I am driving to texas sometime in the next month; with Utah and/or Florida CCW permit, I can carry in *every single state on my journey*, except of course California.

Kinda makes you think. A state where I do not live trusts me enough to give me a permit to carry a concealed weapon (with a class and a backround check), but the state that I do live in most likely will not.:confused:

artherd
12-21-2006, 8:53 PM
Kinda makes you think. A state where I do not live trusts me enough to give me a permit to carry a concealed weapon (with a class and a backround check), but the state that I do live in most likely will not.:confused:

Not just one, but ALL of them in my drive halfway across this country! Amazing!

JimAmentler
01-05-2007, 12:41 AM
I added the new date and classroom info to the first post. The class will now be in Orange each month.

Ryan HBC
01-16-2007, 5:34 PM
Here is my Permit time frame:

10/27/06 - Package sent
10/30/06 - Package received by BCI
11/01/06 - Check cashed
01/12/06 - Permit received

73 days from when BCI received package to when I received my permit. Not too bad, considering that Christmas and New Years fell within that time frame. Subtract the holidays, and subtract transit time for snail mail, and that is right about 60 days of processing time. Thanks again Jim!

Ryan

JimAmentler
01-16-2007, 6:16 PM
Here is my Permit time frame:

10/27/06 - Package sent
10/30/06 - Package received by BCI
11/01/06 - Check cashed
01/12/06 - Permit received

73 days from when BCI received package to when I received my permit. Not too bad, considering that Christmas and New Years fell within that time frame. Subtract the holidays, and subtract transit time for snail mail, and that is right about 60 days of processing time. Thanks again Jim!

Ryan

Good to hear that your permit arrived! Thanks for coming to the class and also for letting us know how the turnaround time it at BCI.

James R.
01-16-2007, 7:37 PM
So what is the total cost end to end?

Jim's Class is $100, having your picture done at a Passport place is $10 at most...the notary maybe $10~20 and the application fee?

The permit renewal comes up every what 2 years?

I may just have to get in on this...

Regards,

James R.

JimAmentler
01-16-2007, 8:13 PM
So what is the total cost end to end?

Jim's Class is $100, having your picture done at a Passport place is $10 at most...the notary maybe $10~20 and the application fee?

The permit renewal comes up every what 2 years?

I may just have to get in on this...

Regards,

James R.

Good evening James,

Here's the breakdown:

CCW Class: $100
Notary: $10
Passport Photo: $10
Initial permit fee which includes FBI backround check: $59
Fingerprinting: $15

Total: $195.00 give or take

Permit is good for 5 years. No class needed to renew. $10 renewal fee. Good in 28 states.

Let me know if there are any other questions that I can answer for you.

JimAmentler
01-18-2007, 9:31 PM
If anyone needs to contact me after tonight (1.18.07), please send e-mail to both:

I look forward to seeing those that signed up at the Orange, CA class!

yallknowho
01-22-2007, 1:53 PM
do you get a ccw badge?

Ryan HBC
01-22-2007, 2:39 PM
You get a neato photo ID card from Utah's Bureau of Criminal Identification. (BCI) It says "Concealed Firearm Permit" on the top.

Utah residents can actually use their CCW ID cards to cash and carry on new gun purchases. * sigh *.

JimAmentler
01-22-2007, 5:29 PM
do you get a ccw badge?

No. Nor would I recommend anyone getting a CCW badge.

Diabolus
01-27-2007, 10:16 PM
I am going to this class and I can do the notarizations. I got the OK from Jim to post here.

For the guys that are going, can you please PM so I can have an idea of how many people are coming?

This is for the Feb. 25 class in Orange, CA.

Thx

royta
01-28-2007, 8:09 AM
I am going to this class and I can do the notarizations. I got the OK from Jim to post here.

For the guys that are going, can you please PM so I can have an idea of how many people are coming?

Thx

In Jim's current signature, he has four classes listed. Which of the four classes are you talking about?

San Jose, CA - January 28, 2007
Sacramento, CA - February 10, 2007
Lakeport, CA - February 17, 2007
Orange, CA - February 25, 2007

Diabolus
01-28-2007, 8:17 AM
In Jim's current signature, he has four classes listed. Which of the four classes are you talking about?

San Jose, CA - January 28, 2007
Sacramento, CA - February 10, 2007
Lakeport, CA - February 17, 2007
Orange, CA - February 25, 2007

Feb 25th in Orange, CA.

royta
01-28-2007, 8:21 AM
Feb 25th in Orange, CA.

Well, that sure makes it convenient. See you there.

savageevo
01-28-2007, 9:27 AM
does anybody know if there are still openings for this class.

JimAmentler
01-28-2007, 9:41 AM
does anybody know if there are still openings for this class.

There are still openings for the class. Go to the first post in this thread and click on the enrollment form link. Fill that out, mail it with payment (or pay by Paypal) and that will guarantee you a seat in the class. Let me know if you have any other questions.

James R.
02-05-2007, 8:37 PM
Hey just wanted to stop in and applaud Jim for putting together a great class and taking an active part in the Right To Carry cause.

I took his Utah CWP class last January at the Orange, Ca. location and found him to be *far* more affable than some proprietors of similar courses I've had the displeasure of interacting with.

If you want a Utah CWP Jim's your man. The subject matter is presented well and the class moves along about as quickly as the participants participation affords. To put it another way, he's not going to sit there and read to you like a robot. The class moves a whole lot faster if you play along and answer his questions. The course was advertised as being 3 hours and I think we were able to cover the material in about 2.5 hours.

For $100+(Utah BCI & various and sundry trivial costs) and about as much time as you'd blow watching a movie you too can carry in 28 states!

Regards,

James R.

JimAmentler
02-14-2007, 10:07 PM
Hey James,

Thanks for the kind words. It was nice to meet you. I'm glad that you found my class and all interaction far better than your previous experience. You were a great guy for a "thug"! ;)

Cpl_Peters
02-15-2007, 11:45 AM
always right after drill!! why is that? I really should make this one.

Did you here? They moved Blacksheep over to Alpha.

savageevo
02-15-2007, 8:11 PM
hey jim, tried to open the link to the app and it does not go through. could you check on this. I am interested. thanks

JimAmentler
02-15-2007, 8:22 PM
always right after drill!! why is that? I really should make this one.

Did you here? They moved Blacksheep over to Alpha.

It's after drill due to me heading back to Sacramento afterward! C'mon, you can sleep after class. :D

I did hear that. Welcome to the dark side. I'll have to assign another Doc to Alpha.

JimAmentler
02-15-2007, 8:24 PM
hey jim, tried to open the link to the app and it does not go through. could you check on this. I am interested. thanks

I just fixed it. Thank you for letting me know. I changed the name of the enrollment form and didn't change it in the link. It should work now.

savageevo
02-16-2007, 8:47 AM
okay let me get this straight.

1. application with fee.

2. I need to bring two passport pictures.

3. I guess there will be notory there.

4. Bring ID. Which one? CA drivers license good enough.

5. Extra cash for other charges. total about 200.00

what else do I need.

lastly do you take credit cards?

thanks

JimAmentler
02-16-2007, 8:58 AM
okay let me get this straight.

1. application with fee.
The application fee is $59.00 and gets mailed in to Utah BCI with your application.

2. I need to bring two passport pictures.
You only need one passport photo and that also goes in to Utah BCI with your application. No need to bring it to class unless you would like to.

3. I guess there will be notary there.
There is a notary that plans on attending the class.

4. Bring ID. Which one? CA drivers license good enough.
Yes, your CDL is good. You will need to make a copy of the front of your license and include it in your packet to Utah BCI.

5. Extra cash for other charges. total about 200.00

what else do I need.
Nothing else. I will provide you with a class syllabus, Utah annotated laws, a permit application and a fingerprint card. After the class you will need to get fingerprinted.

lastly do you take credit cards?
You can mail in a check with the enrollment form that is in the first post of this thread. If you would rather pay by credit card, you can pay for the class using Paypal. If you prefer that route, send me an e-mail and I will e-mail you an invoice with a link for payment.

thanks

Thank you! Let me know if you have any other questions.

JimAmentler
02-22-2007, 9:00 AM
If anyone needs to contact me after 2200 tonight (2.22.07), please send e-mail to both:

I look forward to seeing those that signed up at the Orange, CA class!

TheMan
02-22-2007, 6:07 PM
I sent you an email several days ago about electronic payment so that I could enroll in the class still. I never got a response. Is that still doable, or can I just show up and bring you a check/cash?

Thanks

Diabolus
02-22-2007, 6:22 PM
I got stuck in San Francisco this weekend - I look forward to meeting you are the next event, thx Jim.

JimAmentler
02-22-2007, 9:02 PM
I sent you an email several days ago about electronic payment so that I could enroll in the class still. I never got a response. Is that still doable, or can I just show up and bring you a check/cash?

Thanks

I just looked back through all of my e-mail and could not find anything that I had responded to. Not sure what happened, but you have my apologies. If you don't mind, please send your e-mail again. Thanks.

You can bring cash to the class and you can download the enrollment form and bring it to class or you can fill one out when you arrive.

I look forward to seeing you Sunday!

TheMan
02-23-2007, 9:25 PM
I got your response and paid, I will see you there. I will bring some $$ for the notary as well. Thanks!

JimAmentler
02-24-2007, 8:26 AM
I got your response and paid, I will see you there. I will bring some $$ for the notary as well. Thanks!

Got it. I was wondering why I hadn't seen the e-mail that you sent. I kept checking the Alpha Safety Training e-mail. Then I checked my USMC e-mail. That's where it was! Glad I found it. See you on Sunday!

JimAmentler
02-26-2007, 9:08 PM
Thank you to all that were at the class this past Sunday! You were definitely a lively bunch and had excellent comments and questions! Please keep me updated on how long it takes for your permits to arrive so that I can pass the wait time onto the upcoming classes.

Cpl_Peters
02-26-2007, 9:51 PM
gah!! i missed it again!! my truck started overheating on the way home from drill and I had to stop in San Clemente in cammies to buy coolant. Still leaking and over heating didnt want to drive up to brea and blow it up. Really want that Utah CCW as I am trying to transfer to C Co in June.

JimAmentler
02-26-2007, 11:03 PM
gah!! i missed it again!! my truck started overheating on the way home from drill and I had to stop in San Clemente in cammies to buy coolant. Still leaking and over heating didnt want to drive up to brea and blow it up. Really want that Utah CCW as I am trying to transfer to C Co in June.

Glad you made it home Devil Dog! Charlie Co, huh. Good bunch of Marines. I went to the stumps with them a couple of years ago. Range 500 in August. It was nice and toasty. We had a great BBQ before we came back to Pendleton though!

We may do a class at the BTTN. There are several SSGT's and a certain MSGT that wants to do the class. I'll keep you updated. Either way, at least step into the BAS to say hello.

TheMan
02-27-2007, 8:40 PM
Thank you to all that were at the class this past Sunday! You were definitely a lively bunch and had excellent comments and questions! Please keep me updated on how long it takes for your permits to arrive so that I can pass the wait time onto the upcoming classes.

Thanks again for teaching this class. For those of you thinking of taking it, it is worth it. It covered the basics of firearms handling, Utah laws concerning CCW, and had a good discussion on legal aspects of using firearms for self defense.

Unfortunately the notary was a no show, so I still need to get my stuff notarized and get my prints taken before I can send the paperwork off.

Cpl_Peters
02-28-2007, 9:49 AM
Glad you made it home Devil Dog! Charlie Co, huh. Good bunch of Marines. I went to the stumps with them a couple of years ago. Range 500 in August. It was nice and toasty. We had a great BBQ before we came back to Pendleton though!

We may do a class at the BTTN. There are several SSGT's and a certain MSGT that wants to do the class. I'll keep you updated. Either way, at least step into the BAS to say hello.

I class at the RTC would be awesome. Im sure it would be packed if everyone in the BTTN knew. We have enough down time when the 25's are on a shoot we have to make hip pocket classes all day long on how to take apart a SAW and dial in a freq on a pric119, a CCW class would be perfect! I think I know who that certain MSgt is, is it the one retiring next month?

Maybe I would stop by BAS more often if I didnt get stuck with something everytime I walked in! haha.

Lock-n-Load
03-03-2007, 4:03 AM
[QUOTE=TheMan;516790]Thanks again for teaching this class. For those of you thinking of taking it, it is worth it. It covered the basics of firearms handling, Utah laws concerning CCW, and had a good discussion on legal aspects of using firearms for self defense.

+1, The family and I really enjoyed the class Jim, thanks for teaching it and for promoting such a worthwhile cause. We're sending in our completed application packages today and will let you know when we receive our permits. Again, thanks.

savageevo
03-03-2007, 9:38 AM
Hey Jim, When is the next one in Socal. I miss your class due to family issues. please let us know. thanks

JimAmentler
03-03-2007, 6:50 PM
I class at the RTC would be awesome. Im sure it would be packed if everyone in the BTTN knew. We have enough down time when the 25's are on a shoot we have to make hip pocket classes all day long on how to take apart a SAW and dial in a freq on a pric119, a CCW class would be perfect! I think I know who that certain MSgt is, is it the one retiring next month?

Maybe I would stop by BAS more often if I didnt get stuck with something everytime I walked in! haha.

That is the correct MSgt. Too bad he is retiring. He'll be missed at the BTTN.

DId I hear that right!?! A Marine afraid to get a shot? :eek: I promise that if you stop in to say hello, I won't let anyone check your medical record to see if you need any immunizations or blood draws. :D Urrr!

JimAmentler
03-03-2007, 6:52 PM
[QUOTE=TheMan;516790]Thanks again for teaching this class. For those of you thinking of taking it, it is worth it. It covered the basics of firearms handling, Utah laws concerning CCW, and had a good discussion on legal aspects of using firearms for self defense.

+1, The family and I really enjoyed the class Jim, thanks for teaching it and for promoting such a worthwhile cause. We're sending in our completed application packages today and will let you know when we receive our permits. Again, thanks.

Thank you sir! It was a pleasure to meet you all! It's great to see entire families get involved in firearms and training.

JimAmentler
03-03-2007, 6:54 PM
Hey Jim, When is the next one in Socal. I miss your class due to family issues. please let us know. thanks

I hope that your family is doing well. They definitely take priority!

Next class is March 25, 2007 in Orange. I have updated the first post of this thread with the info. I hope to see you there!

JimAmentler
03-19-2007, 11:56 PM
Bump for the class coming up this weekend!

Cpl_Peters
03-20-2007, 11:03 PM
every time i see this post back on the first page i know its time for drill again...grumble :(

JimAmentler
03-20-2007, 11:18 PM
every time i see this post back on the first page i know its time for drill again...grumble :(

Don't feel bad. I drive 1000 miles round trip to drill. Been doing it for 2.5 years since I moved up North. See you Friday!

JimAmentler
04-23-2007, 6:22 PM
I have updated the first post in this thread with info for the May 20, 2007 class. Join us down in Orange!

JimAmentler
05-09-2007, 9:06 AM
Per Utah BCI starting in June the class must be a minimum of 4 hours. I just received the letter stating their rule change. Prior to this there was no minimum time for the class, just that you had to cover all the material. From now on all of my Utah classes will be a minimum of 4 hours.

JimAmentler
05-14-2007, 8:52 AM
*Bump* for the class next Sunday. Those that have already signed up, I look forward to seeing you there!

JimAmentler
05-17-2007, 8:00 PM
Heading down South. There is still room in the class if anyone would like to join us.

JimAmentler
05-21-2007, 2:45 PM
Thank you to all who attended the class last night! Great discussion!

:79:

JimAmentler
05-21-2007, 2:46 PM
Colorado no longer recognizes non-resident permits. Here is the update from the CBI web site:

http://cbi.state.co.us/ccw/reciprocity.asp

Last updated 5/18/07.

Updates are made only when there is a change to Colorado's permit reciprocity with other states. Regardless of the date of the last update, this information is current.

Pursuant to Colorado law (CRS 18-12-213), the State of Colorado will recognize a valid permit issued in another state IF the permit was issued to a resident of the state issuing the permit, and the permittee is 21 yrs of age or older, AND the other state recognizes Colorado permits as valid in their state. Hence, a "yes" in the following table also indicates that a valid Colorado permit is recognized in that state, subject to their laws. When traveling with a Colorado permit, it is advisable to contact the state you are visiting to confirm reciprocity and to review that state's firearms laws.

The state of Colorado no longer recognizes the validity of any permit issued by any state to a nonresident (see CRS 18-12-213 amended 2007).

This information is also available to Colorado law enforcement through the CCIC.

JimAmentler
06-04-2007, 10:44 PM
Bump for the class next Sunday June 10, 2007. :taz:

JimAmentler
06-08-2007, 8:33 AM
*btt*

JimAmentler
06-17-2007, 7:07 PM
I have updated the first post in this thread with the next Orange course date of July 15, 2007.

royta
06-19-2007, 11:45 AM
FYI - I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but UT is running WAY behind. As of today, they are working on applications received on 3/5. I went to the Feb class in Orange, and UT cashed my check on 3/8. They haven't even touched my app yet.

http://bci.utah.gov

JimAmentler
06-30-2007, 1:21 PM
*BUMP* For the July 15 class.

Lock-n-Load
07-01-2007, 6:55 AM
Hi Jim,

As requested, here is our permitting time frame. The family and I attended your February 25th, 2007 Class.

March 3, 2007 - Applications mailed
March 6, 2007 - Applications received by BCI
March 7, 2007 - Check cashed (processing start date)
June 25, 2007 - Permits issued
June 29, 2007 - Permits received in the mail

A total of 110 days from processing start date to issuance of the permits. A long wait, but well worth it. Btw, we were all approved! Once again, the family and I wish to thank you for a most informative class and your assistance with helping us attain our permits.

Thanks and God Bless
The Careys

JimAmentler
07-01-2007, 10:30 AM
Hi Jim,

As requested, here is our permitting time frame. The family and I attended your February 25th, 2007 Class.

March 3, 2007 - Applications mailed
March 6, 2007 - Applications received by BCI
March 7, 2007 - Check cashed (processing start date)
June 25, 2007 - Permits issued
June 29, 2007 - Permits received in the mail

A total of 110 days from processing start date to issuance of the permits. A long wait, but well worth it. Btw, we were all approved! Once again, the family and I wish to thank you for a most informative class and your assistance with helping us attain our permits.

Thanks and God Bless
The Careys

Thank YOU sir! It was my pleasure to meet you all and I very much appreciate you following through and posting the above timeline.

Since you have taken the class Colorado has dropped of the recognition list for those that are not residents of Utah. However, Pennsylvania has been added. Hopefully Nevada will be added as they have passed legislation allowing reciprocity with other states.

My best to your family!

Very Respectfully,

Jim

JimAmentler
07-19-2007, 9:58 PM
Bump for the next Orange class!

JimAmentler
07-26-2007, 8:42 AM
*bump*

JimAmentler
08-06-2007, 3:38 PM
A bump for the september course!

savageevo
08-18-2007, 1:37 AM
hey Jim, Do you still have seats available for september in Brea, thanks

JimAmentler
08-19-2007, 6:12 PM
Just got back from 3 weeks in the field with my BTTN. The date for the September course has been change to September 09, 2007. Seats are available.

JimAmentler
08-29-2007, 10:17 PM
Still seats available for this course.

JimAmentler
09-01-2007, 7:41 AM
*bump*

JimAmentler
09-07-2007, 1:30 PM
One more bump for the course this weekend.

JimAmentler
09-08-2007, 12:00 PM
Heading to SoCal shortly. There are still seats available for this class. Shoot me an e-mail if you'd like to join us.

On another note, I will only be doing one more course in SoCal this year as I will be mobilizing to go to Iraq soon.

weezil_boi
09-11-2007, 9:29 AM
Are there any spots available for the Sacramento class this weekend? I have a few buddies that would be interested as well. I am hoping for 4 spots total?

May I have the location/time info please?

Thank you.

JimAmentler
09-11-2007, 10:32 PM
Are there any spots available for the Sacramento class this weekend? I have a few buddies that would be interested as well. I am hoping for 4 spots total?

May I have the location/time info please?

Thank you.

Absolutely!

Check the first post in this thread for the info:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=39840

Nefarious
09-17-2007, 12:19 PM
Will be sending in Enrollment Form and check here in the next day or two - for the Oct Class. Its already flled out and printed up.

savageevo
09-17-2007, 1:06 PM
I just submitted everything today.:):):) Now its the waiting game:( I just want to thank Jim for the great classe he taught. Again guys, take the time to go, I believe this will be his last class this year and possibly in 10 months. Again Jim, Thanks, I will let you know when I get my CCW.:D

Nefarious
09-17-2007, 1:09 PM
I just submitted everything today.:):):) Now its the waiting game:( I just want to thank Jim for the great classe he taught. Again guys, take the time to go, I believe this will be his last class this year and possibly in 10 months. Again Jim, Thanks, I will let you know when I get my CCW.:D

One of the big reason im taking the Oct class.
I have yet to speak with Jim personally, but EVERY SINGLE pm we have exchanged he has been 150+% professional.

JimAmentler
09-17-2007, 10:35 PM
Sounds good. I will let you know as soon as it arrives. I look forward to meeting you in October!

Will be sending in Enrollment Form and check here in the next day or two - for the Oct Class. Its already flled out and printed up.

JimAmentler
09-17-2007, 10:39 PM

Thank you. I very much appreciate it. Definitely let me know when your permit arrives.

Yes, this will most likely be the last class that I do until I return from Iraq.

geeknow
09-18-2007, 5:54 PM
Jim,
thanks for the quick response. my form + $ are en route.:seeya::

JimAmentler
09-26-2007, 12:23 AM
Jim,
thanks for the quick response. my form + $ are en route.:seeya::

My pleasure. I look forward to meeting you at the class!

JimAmentler
09-26-2007, 12:24 AM
*BUMP* for the final open Orange class before I deploy to Iraq.

chico.cm
09-26-2007, 10:18 AM
Jim,
does this mean that the classes will no longer be offered while you are away?

more importantly: God speed! Thank you for your service!

Nefarious
09-26-2007, 10:22 AM
Jim,

No classes for a while, untill he returns.... unless he can teach online ;)

Jim,
Has my app/check arrived? I have not seen the check cashed. Im thinking in just sending you another before the weeks end

JimAmentler
09-26-2007, 9:51 PM
Jim,

Correct. No classes from me or Alpha Safety Training while I am gone. However, I will get things going again as soon as I return. So, please keep me in mind for anyone that may be interested after September 2008.

Thank you. I truly appreciate it.

JimAmentler
09-26-2007, 9:52 PM
No classes for a while, untill he returns.... unless he can teach online ;)

Jim,
Has my app/check arrived? I have not seen the check cashed. Im thinking in just sending you another before the weeks end

Not yet. I've been keeping an eye out. When I have it in hand I will e-mail you confirmation.

Cobrarlc
09-26-2007, 10:20 PM
Jim,
I want to thank you again for offering the class for the Utah CCW. It was a great experience and comforting to know that I can now legally carring in other states while traveling. Also I want to thank you for your continued service to our great country. God Bless and God's hand be with you.

JimAmentler
09-26-2007, 10:47 PM
Jim,
I want to thank you again for offering the class for the Utah CCW. It was a great experience and comforting to know that I can now legally carring in other states while traveling. Also I want to thank you for your continued service to our great country. God Bless and God's hand be with you.

Thank you. I very much appreciate the kind words and the prayer support!
Hopefully after 01OCT07 you will be able to add NV to the list of states where you can carry with your Utah CCW permit!

JimAmentler
09-30-2007, 7:48 PM
*BUMP* for the October 28, 2007 class.

This will most likely be my last SoCal class until I return from Iraq next year. And yes, Nevada HAS been added to the list of states that honor the Utah CCW permit!

Nefarious
10-01-2007, 6:39 AM
Im mailing out another app/check ... it should have been there by now. Doing it today after work

GTKrockeTT
10-01-2007, 11:33 PM
Nef...looks like we'll be bumping into each other again. I'll see you on the 28th. ;)

JimAmentler
10-05-2007, 9:38 PM
Just a reminder, as of October 01, 2007 Nevada honors the Utah CCW permit. Come out and join us for this class!

glockk9mm
10-05-2007, 10:29 PM
Just a reminder, as of October 01, 2007 Nevada honors the Utah CCW permit. Come out and join us for this class!

So all we have to do is get the utah ccw permit and were good to carry in Nevada?

JimAmentler
10-05-2007, 11:27 PM
So all we have to do is get the utah ccw permit and were good to carry in Nevada?

That is correct. As of October 01, 2007 Nevada recognizes the Utah CCW permit.

Here is the link and the text:

http://nvrepository.state.nv.us/Special/CCW_CHANGE.shtml

Out of State Carry Concealed Weapon Permit Recognition

Effective Oct 1, 2007

In accordance with Senate Bill 237 passed by the 2007 Nevada Legislature the State of Nevada will recognize the following States' CCW permit holders:

Alaska
Arkansas
Kansas
Louisiana
Missouri
Nebraska
Tennessee
Utah

This law allows holders of valid permits from these states to carry a concealed weapon while in the State of Nevada. The permit must be in the possession of the issuee at all times while carrying a firearm.

Department of Public Safety
Records and Technology Division
808 W. Nye Lane
Carson City, NV 89703
(775)684-6262

MedSpec65
10-06-2007, 7:56 AM
Hello Doc; Just wanted to extend my gratitude for a San Jose class you taught a few months back. Outstanding job. My permit arrived about a week less than three months later. You can imagine how surprised I am about the Nevada change. I will be including you in my prayers for our brave warriors in the sandpile. Take care of our precious Marines, Jim! God Bless, Joel

Nefarious
10-07-2007, 4:33 PM
Nef...looks like we'll be bumping into each other again. I'll see you on the 28th. ;)

LMAO ...well, it will be good to see ya again.
So what are we buying next ;)

GTKrockeTT
10-07-2007, 5:24 PM
LMAO ...well, it will be good to see ya again.
So what are we buying next ;)

well...i'm on the wait list for a bohica upper, so it looks like you're one step ahead. ;)

accordingtoome
10-07-2007, 5:36 PM
just to make this clear.. i can take this class.. go to vegas and strap on my gun after i cross the border? but until then i have to keep it unloaded and locked in the trunk. ?? :D or i can head out to GA visit my bro and carry one of his? or does it have to belong to me ? im just too lazy to search anymore

accordingtoome
10-09-2007, 7:57 PM
just to make this clear.. i can take this class.. go to vegas and strap on my gun after i cross the border? but until then i have to keep it unloaded and locked in the trunk. ?? :D or i can head out to GA visit my bro and carry one of his? or does it have to belong to me ? im just too lazy to search anymore

can someone answer this idiot =0)-

JimAmentler
10-09-2007, 10:17 PM
Hello Doc; Just wanted to extend my gratitude for a San Jose class you taught a few months back. Outstanding job. My permit arrived about a week less than three months later. You can imagine how surprised I am about the Nevada change. I will be including you in my prayers for our brave warriors in the sandpile. Take care of our precious Marines, Jim! God Bless, Joel

Thank you and it was my pleasure. We were all hoping for NV to add Utah, but the odds seemed against it. Luckily, it came through!

I appreciate the prayer. You know that I will take care of our Marines!

Thank you again!

Jim

JimAmentler
10-09-2007, 10:23 PM
can someone answer this idiot =0)-

Absolutely. :D

You can take this class and after you are issued your permit, you may carry legally in NV as they now honor the Utah CCW permit. Keep in mind, and we'll cover this in class, that you must obey the laws of the state that you are carrying in not the laws of the state that your permit is from. So, carry in NV with a Utah permit, follow NV law. Carry in AZ with at Utah permit, follow AZ law. Carry in Utah with a Utah permit, follow Utah law.

Georgia also honors the Utah permit. So, you are legal to carry in GA with the Utah permit.

royta
10-09-2007, 10:24 PM

http://nvrepository.state.nv.us/Special/CCW_CHANGE.shtml

http://dps.georgia.gov/00/article/0,2086,5635600_6640623_34375811,00.html

The official list = http://bci.utah.gov/CFP/CFPFAQ/FAQOther.html

accordingtoome
10-09-2007, 10:56 PM
awsome thank you jim

yallknowho
10-16-2007, 5:05 PM
I got mine today, sent the material in the end of june. Thanks for the teaching the class Jim.

Nefarious
10-22-2007, 7:23 AM
Bump for this weekends class.
Get in while you can

JimAmentler
10-27-2007, 12:36 AM
Last bump for the class October 28, 2007. This will be the last class that I run in Orange until I return from next October.

Nefarious
10-27-2007, 9:40 AM
See you guys tomorrow - for those that are going

GTKrockeTT
10-29-2007, 11:30 PM
Jim, thanks again for the class, it was a pleasure meeting you. Stay safe in the sandbox!

Sniper3142
10-30-2007, 9:55 AM
I just wanted to thank you again for teaching a great class Jim.

There was a lots of great information given and it was fun.

Take care over there in the sandbox Doc.

Semper Fi

Nefarious
10-30-2007, 10:02 AM
So who was who? The only face to name I know is GT...
I was the guy in the front, door side. I went up when Jim demonstrated the flich/recoil anticipation.... you know.. the handsome guy ;)

JimAmentler
10-30-2007, 4:59 PM
Thank you all! It was my pleasure. I very much enjoyed the class as well! Lot's of great questions and conversation. Thank you also for the well wishes for when I leave for Iraq! I will have internet access over there, so will check in here when I can.

Thank you to everyone that has taken one of my courses! Hopefully the enjoyment that I get from teaching shows each and every time.

savageevo
10-30-2007, 10:09 PM
hey jim, what is the total wait time now from the date they recieve the application. Just wondering because I am at almost two months. thanks

JimAmentler
10-31-2007, 9:14 AM
hey jim, what is the total wait time now from the date they recieve the application. Just wondering because I am at almost two months. thanks

Utah BCI is currently processing non-resident applications that arrived to them on July 19, 2007. So, better than it was but not as good as it has been. They are working hard at getting everyone approved or denied with 60 days.

savageevo
10-31-2007, 11:19 PM
thanks for the quick response, by the way, God bless you on your trip to Iraq. Email us here on calguns once in a while to let us know you are fine. Thanks from all of us.

MilanoRex
11-01-2007, 1:41 AM
Wow, Just missed it! When's the next one going to be??

JimAmentler
11-01-2007, 5:48 AM
thanks for the quick response, by the way, God bless you on your trip to Iraq. Email us here on calguns once in a while to let us know you are fine. Thanks from all of us.

Thank you! I appreciate it! All prayer for my family and myself while I am gone is most welcome.

JimAmentler
11-01-2007, 5:49 AM
Wow, Just missed it! When's the next one going to be??

It looks like my next class in SoCal will be next year after I return from Iraq. I will be having one in the Sacramento area on November 17, 2007 if you up for travelling.

Nefarious
11-05-2007, 6:34 AM
Maybe the box was full or my envelope did not fit :D

We attempted to deliver your item at 5:43 AM on November 5, 2007 in SALT LAKE CITY, UT 84114 and a notice was left. It can be redelivered or picked up at the Post Office. If the item is unclaimed, it will be returned to the sender. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

Edit: Looks like it was "Delivered". I mailed it out noon time friday, they got it today, let see how long it takes for the charge to appear

JimAmentler
11-05-2007, 5:38 PM

We attempted to deliver your item at 5:43 AM on November 5, 2007 in SALT LAKE CITY, UT 84114 and a notice was left. It can be redelivered or picked up at the Post Office. If the item is unclaimed, it will be returned to the sender. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

Edit: Looks like it was "Delivered". I mailed it out noon time friday, they got it today, let see how long it takes for the charge to appear

Glad that it got delivered!

Good news! Utah has been working hard at getting applications processed. They are now up to August 28, 2007 for non-residents! Just one week behind resident applications.

Nefarious
11-07-2007, 6:54 AM

I was looking online at my bank account, and noticed I was charged the app fee from BCI this morning. I was under the impression that they would not even look at your app, untill they were caught up with the backlog? Anywho... just a little update

GenLee
11-07-2007, 9:15 AM
Whens the next class in socal? I want definatly want in.....anything late 07 or early 08?

Nefarious
11-07-2007, 9:18 AM
Whens the next class in socal? I want definatly want in.....anything late 07 or early 08?

No more in SoCal, you missed the last one. The next/last Cali class is going to be up in Sacramento.

Glock22Fan
11-07-2007, 9:38 AM
Originally Posted by GenLee

No more in SoCal, you missed the last one. The next/last Cali class is going to be up in Sacramento.

That might be true for this trainer, but there are a whole bunch of other trainers all over the place. Look at http://bci.utah.gov/CFP/CFInstructors.html for more details.

I took a class by the following in Newhall, and was very satisfied.

EUGENE LEARY................................. 661-255-3298

fuegoslow
02-27-2008, 5:51 PM
I mailed my application on 01/12/08 via USPS Priority. Today is 02/27/08 and my Utah CCW Permit has arrived :patriot::hurray:

So, about 6 weeks turnaround for Non-Resident Applications.

Thanks Jim