PDA

View Full Version : seriously losing sleep over this.... (M14)

10K2HVN
08-30-2006, 5:43 AM
22" barrel:
http://www.teamtoxicbass.com/~vinny/socomloaded.jpg

-[OR]-

18.5" barrel:
http://www.teamtoxicbass.com/~vinny/socomscout.jpg

^images were chopped up from SA pictures on microsoft paint..nothin' special, but you get the idea...

^^I like the SA brake over the SE one...

Looking at getting an LRB M14SA, so buying both is a little out of the question, as far as my wallet is concerned..... :(

Thanks,

metalhead357
08-30-2006, 6:53 AM
1. New job with more pay (&)
2. Sleeping tabs

Will help with this....

No, I am not a doctor....but I did stay at a Holoday Inn Express last night.

I can tell ya' this...... those would keep me up too:D

Noonanda
08-30-2006, 6:54 AM
I like the look of the 22 inch barrel. personally I dont like the look of the shorter M1As, I think if you are worried about CQB then you should go with a different platform. But Im also one that thinks the M-14/M1A should only wear wood. If I wanted plastic I would go with an AR (which I did LOL)

BigMac
08-30-2006, 7:08 AM
I just dont get the interest in all the rails..

There rough on the shooter and heavy.. to each his own I guess.

metalhead357
08-30-2006, 7:17 AM
I just dont get the interest in all the rails..

There rough on the shooter and heavy.. to each his own I guess.

Yep...... Besides, who needs 'em? Thats what DUCT TAPE is for;)

Fjold
08-30-2006, 7:32 AM
The M1A/M14 was never designed to be a close quarters weapon. So the rails and flashlight are like adding the "shopping cart handle" wings to the stock Honda Accord.

The whole idea of a 308 battle rifle is to kill zombies out at ranges where they are less of a threat to you. If 10 zombies are coming after you it's a lot easier to start picking them off at 600 yards so that you get the last one at 100 yards before they can get close enough to get you.

ETD1010
08-30-2006, 7:56 AM
The M1A/M14 was never designed to be a close quarters weapon. So the rails and flashlight are like adding the "shopping cart handle" wings to the stock Honda Accord.

The whole idea of a 308 battle rifle is to kill zombies out at ranges where they are less of a threat to you. If 10 zombies are coming after you it's a lot easier to start picking them off at 600 yards so that you get the last one at 100 yards before they can get close enough to get you.

That's what the 12 gauges are for... Close quarter zombie killers. . . Use the longer M1A for the zombies at 50+ yards. Then switch to the shottie and rush in close. ;)

But in all seriousness, I like the look of the 18", but like it's been said, the M1A (IMO) looks better as a rifle, not a carbine.

Maddog5150
08-30-2006, 10:16 AM
That's what the 12 gauges are for... Close quarter zombie killers. . . Use the longer M1A for the zombies at 50+ yards. Then switch to the shottie and rush in close. ;)

But in all seriousness, I like the look of the 18", but like it's been said, the M1A (IMO) looks better as a rifle, not a carbine.

no way! shot gun is getting too close for comfort to me. You want to stay WEEEEELL outside of their snack radius.

As for the M1A, I have a socom, love it but wish I went with a scout or fulsize. I wouldnt get one with the rails because it makes one of the lightest m1a's into one of the heaviest m1a's. Like FJold implies, why would you want to rice out an M1a?

mailman
08-30-2006, 10:24 AM
^^^^^^^^^^

u know my vote

CalNRA
08-30-2006, 10:25 AM
the 18 inch barrel has that Mall Ninja-esque look to it. While I have a soft spot for short barrel rifles, the idea of firing a short barrel 308 sounds painful to my ears(if I ever have to fire one with out ear protection). With high-powered long guns I tend to stick to longer barrels if I have a choice.

denalion22
08-30-2006, 10:39 AM
why lose sleep over it!!! Just go buy it!!!!!!!!! Put it on the card and worry about it next month and then you will be able to sleep good :)

Check it I did it and you can see her now on this page

Lets See Your M1A pics

Check it out it is on page 8, I hope you enjoy

Pokey
08-30-2006, 10:46 AM
The M1A/M14 was never designed to be a close quarters weapon.

"Whatchoo talkin' bout Willis"
With a short barrell .308 (ooh HK51) you don't need flashbangs, one shot and everone in the room is blind and deaf.:D :D

ivanimal
08-30-2006, 11:03 AM
+1 for the longer barrel. I never even thought about a socom. I understand the II in socom II stands for 2 pounds of rails:D . They resemble bloomers to me:o . Then again I am a hunter looking for the lightest rifle for caliber I can get. I will not give up barrel length for that end result.

sac7000
08-30-2006, 11:23 AM
Get the scout and shorten the buttstock.

C.G.
08-30-2006, 11:25 AM
The 22" should get you out to 1000 yards; if you don't need that then get the 18.5"

leelaw
08-30-2006, 1:15 PM
Since it is for a reach-out-and-touch-someone cartridge, I'd be hesitant to pick the shorter length barrel. I also don't see the point in all the rails - possibly a top rail for optic mounting, but that's it.

grammaton76
08-30-2006, 1:40 PM
"Whatchoo talkin' bout Willis"
With a short barrell .308 (ooh HK51) you don't need flashbangs, one shot and everone in the room is blind and deaf.:D :D

I was about to mention the CA-legal Vector V-51, but you beat me to it. If I was going to go short-308, it wouldn't be on an M14.

Go long on the M-14, and get yourself a Vector for close-in. The thing is, appearance wise, an MP5 shooting 308. :)

50 Freak
08-30-2006, 3:41 PM
In my opinion a 18inch 308 loses only a small amount of velocity over that of a 21/22 inch.

So I think a 18inch 308 is actually the best compromise between the shorty (16inchs) to the full lenght 308s (22 inches).

LAW483
08-30-2006, 3:50 PM
22" barrel:
http://www.teamtoxicbass.com/~vinny/socomloaded.jpg

-[OR]-

18.5" barrel:
http://www.teamtoxicbass.com/~vinny/socomscout.jpg

^images were chopped up from SA pictures on microsoft paint..nothin' special, but you get the idea...

^^I like the SA brake over the SE one...

Looking at getting an LRB M14SA, so buying both is a little out of the question, as far as my wallet is concerned..... :(

Thanks,

The 18" barreled M14 is currently in use with specialized units within the Navy, Air Force, and Coast Guard as the MK-14 Mod 0/1/2 as well as the 18" barrel version of the SEI CrazyHorse in limited numbers in the Army so it's a proven and worthwile configuration. It packs a good punch and can be used in tighter envirorments. It is an excellent platform on which to build a very versitile weapon.

If you know what you want to put on your rifle there are lighter ways to do it than rails at 3-6-9-12:00, but if you want a modular configuration for future additions and don't mind the weight they are good to have.

Besides, putting rails on an M14 type rifle is less of a strech to me than making an AR, AK, FAL, or other pistol grip designed rifle into a California Legal configuaration. A detachable mag M14 witha rail makes more sense than a fixed mag AR10/15 or FAL.

Take care,

Tony

Take care,

Tony

TonyNorCal
08-30-2006, 3:56 PM
The rails don't work for me either, but to each his own.

I think M-14s look best in wood. Simple, elegant, effective.

magmaster
08-30-2006, 4:58 PM
Since it is for a reach-out-and-touch-someone cartridge, I'd be hesitant to pick the shorter length barrel. I also don't see the point in all the rails - possibly a top rail for optic mounting, but that's it.

I agree 100% :) Unless you're planning on kicking down doors and clearing rooms :eek:

M. Sage
08-30-2006, 6:02 PM
The rails don't work for me either, but to each his own.

I think M-14s look best in wood. Simple, elegant, effective.

+1 for the wood stock.

Looks so much nicer. :D

I'd go with 22", personally. And the rails are kind of... overkill?

50 Freak
08-30-2006, 6:19 PM
+1 also for the wood stock.

Elegant weapon...the M14 doesn't need to "tactified".

Leave that for the ARs.

metalhead357
08-30-2006, 9:08 PM
Heck- I'll even take the synthetic (in fact I did:D )

But Its them rails that just look sooooooo unnecessary IMO; but hey, to each his own right? THATS precisely why I get Pickle ice cream for pennies on the dollar vs. all you guys spending big bucks on Vanilla:p

dmckean44
08-30-2006, 10:30 PM
22"

The whole entire .308 CQB thing baffles me.

10K2HVN
08-30-2006, 10:34 PM
Hi everybody,

Thanks for all the replies, I honestly didnt think Id get this many..!

All in all, I dont it helped me much other then actually thinking about getting both configurations! :D

^of course, not both at once.. Hopefully, no crazy law comes out to ruin my plans...

I think Ill get the 18" first with Vltor rail setup, not because I dont like wood; because laminated wood is damn beautiful! This stock reminds me of my 10/22, which I like very much.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/firearms33/Rifles/DSC02011.jpg
..but because Im still a sucker for "tactical" black..

I honestly dont think Ill use the rails at 3 & 9 because I really only want it to mount an optic and bipod..and looking cool, too! From what I understand, the rails at 3 & 9 are removable.

In place of my AR-30 and shotguns, I guess Ill build my second M14...very similar to this:

http://www.jallenenterprises.com/assets/images/autogen/a_JAE-100_Precision_Weapon_System_Upgrade_for_the_M1-A_Rifle.jpg

Chances are, the KGB (Kalifonia Gun Busters) arent going to ban shotguns and bolt action rifles soon.. Sound like a solid plan?

GW
08-30-2006, 11:49 PM
22"

The whole entire .308 CQB thing baffles me.

Not me
While I don't care for the 16 inch barrel, I love my 18 inch Bush rifle, its very handy. It's the closest thing I have to a do-all rifle
Its good to 5-600 yards
I'm only kidding myself if I think I'm going to see something past that, let alone hit it:rolleyes:

But, regardless of the range, when I do hit it, I want it to know it is well and truly hit, hence .308