PDA

View Full Version : Magazine rebuild kit -- legal storage configurations?

wizdumb
01-30-2011, 12:12 PM
For the ever-helpful lawyer Calgunners... When storing Magpul PMAG rebuild kits, would the following method be compliant with California law?

- Remove floor plate
- Insert floor plate into the center well of the magazine spring
- Detach dust cover from top of magazine
- Attach dust cover to bottom of magazine, containing the spring

It seems like this method might help me to keep my rebuild kits stored in a nice small package and prevent the springs from being damaged or floor plates from being lost. Since it may still be technically possible to use the magazine in this configuration (perhaps not reliably), would it violate the law?

Thanks fellas!

tintguy
01-30-2011, 2:56 PM
Just keep dust cover on floor plate on with spring separate all in a zip lock bag.

chris
01-30-2011, 2:57 PM
For the ever-helpful lawyer Calgunners... When storing Magpul PMAG rebuild kits, would the following method be compliant with California law?

- Remove floor plate

It seems like this method might help me to keep my rebuild kits stored in a nice small package and prevent the springs from being damaged or floor plates from being lost. Since it may still be technically possible to use the magazine in this configuration (perhaps not reliably), would it violate the law?

Thanks fellas!

this is what i have done to my Magpul mags.

remove dust cover
remove floor plate
remove spring assembly
store magazine body and parts in ziploc bag

there ya go. your magazine rebuild kit is a see through bag. you are not hiding anything. you can put one magazine in a quart size bag. store them in what ever you wish i suppose. i doubt how you store them in a ammo can, shoe box or what ever is ilegal.

Lead-Thrower
01-30-2011, 4:06 PM
this is what i have done to my Magpul mags.

remove dust cover
remove floor plate
remove spring assembly
store magazine body and parts in ziploc bag

there ya go. your magazine rebuild kit is a see through bag. you are not hiding anything. you can put one magazine in a quart size bag. store them in what ever you wish i suppose. i doubt how you store them in a ammo can, shoe box or what ever is ilegal.

Exactly what I do. Not complicated at all.

hossb7
01-30-2011, 9:38 PM
did someone say passive aggressive?

Cokebottle
01-30-2011, 10:09 PM
When I bought my USGI kits from a FUD-Free LGS, they were "together" except the floorplates were removed and tucked inside the springs.
Even with the spring and follower inside the body, it will not function as an ammunition feeding device = legal.

Personally, I would not put the dust cover on the bottom. Even though the floorplate may restrict the capacity of the magazine, if the dust cover is secure enough to put enough tension on the spring to allow the insertion and feeding of 11 rounds, it's not a legal configuration.

vintagearms
01-30-2011, 10:50 PM
Here is a copy of the letter. Read what you want out of it, but i would have those REBUILD KITS DISASSEMBLED ! PAY ATTN to Q9 and especially A9...

http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/DOJ-large-cap-magazines-2005-11-10.pdf

Cokebottle
01-31-2011, 5:41 PM
Here is a copy of the letter. Read what you want out of it, but i would have those REBUILD KITS DISASSEMBLED ! PAY ATTN to Q9 and especially A9...

http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/DOJ-large-cap-magazines-2005-11-10.pdf
Absolutely.

The question of "disassembled" has never been a question, it's a matter of "how" disassembled.
IMHO, "disassembled" is when the parts can no longer function as a large capacity feeding device. If no tension is placed on the spring, the magazine cannot function as designed.

I would absolutely not install the dust cap on the bottom of the body if there is even a slight chance that it might function as an alternative "floorplate" and hold fast enough to not pop off when 11 rounds are inserted... and the best course of action is simply, don't do it.

rick1881
01-31-2011, 6:11 PM
How about using the empty mag for storage, just use the body, floor plate and dust cover!

Cokebottle
01-31-2011, 6:43 PM
How about using the empty mag for storage, just use the body, floor plate and dust cover!
I wouldn't do it.
I don't like tempting fate.

stix213
01-31-2011, 8:54 PM

- Remove floor plate

Thanks fellas!

There is no existing case law in this area to guide you. No court has decided how disassembled a mag has to be to not be assembled. If you are looking to establish a court precedent for all of us to go by, this looks exactly like how you would start that process....