PDA

View Full Version : Hello from a former USSR

PandaLuv
01-30-2011, 12:53 PM
Hey guys, I am a newbie here. Little about me I am a Korean born in Russia, I moved to this great country(USA) 6 years ago. Currently residing in the Bay Area.
I am applying for the American Citizenship in May, and I am planning on applying for police and CHP this year as well.
So I would love to purchase a Glock 17 9mm for target practicing before I get into the Academy. I don't live in a bad neighbor hood, nor I have enemies but it will also be nice to have a gun just in case if some will try to break in.
I am currently 21, no criminal records. No gun or hunting license
PS I don't like communism.

loose_electron
01-30-2011, 1:20 PM
Welcome to CalGuns, and welcome to the USA!

Don't let anyone in the US fool you, we are nothing but a country of immigrants, some of us just have to go back a little farther into our history to find out when we were "fresh off the boat"

Good luck with your applications to the academy and CHP, and also with your citizenship process.

PandaLuv
01-30-2011, 1:23 PM
That's why I love this Country! I never felt more home until I moved to the states.
Thank you very much for the kind words.

maddoggie13
01-30-2011, 1:23 PM
Welcome...should look into a G34...much better trigger.

ojisan
01-30-2011, 1:32 PM
Howdy and welcome to Cal Guns....and the USA!

Those that freely choose to become an American Citizen are often more American than some who are born here.

Dreaded Claymore
01-30-2011, 1:40 PM
Howdy and welcome to Cal Guns....and the USA!

Those that freely choose to become an American Citizen are often more American than some who are born here.

You can say that again. Welcome, welcome, welcome! :)

den888
01-30-2011, 3:44 PM
Welcome!

SoCal Bob
01-30-2011, 3:57 PM
Welcome to Calguns. Don't get discouraged if it takes a while to get hired, all the governments are having budget cut backs due to the economy. The exception might be Border Patrol at the Federal level.

hellraiser
01-30-2011, 4:07 PM
Welcome to us/calguns and good luck!

nick
01-30-2011, 4:10 PM
You'll need to get an HSC ($25, I believe, and a very easy 30-question test. Most, if not all, gun stores can administer the test) in order to buy a handgun. You'll also need a second proof of residency for buying any gun until you get your citizenship, after that you'll just need it for buying handguns in this great state of ours.

A car registration or a utility bill with the same address as on your driver's license would work for the 2nd proof of residency. While you're not a citizen, you'll need those bills for the past 90 days, I think.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Actually, this made me curious. What's the legality of building (as opposed to buying) a gun when one's not a citizen but is a permanent resident? There's no paperwork involved when one's a citizen, what about when one's a permanent resident? If it's the same, I'd recommend the OP to attend an AK build party, since judging by his avatar he seems to be fond of them :)

nick
01-30-2011, 4:11 PM
Oh, and welcome to Calguns! I don't like communism either :)

PandaLuv
01-30-2011, 5:15 PM
Thank you Thank you.
Btw I have a green card. Will that be good enough to prove that I am a permanent resident.

shoupdawg
01-30-2011, 8:49 PM
Do you speak russian and korean as well?

mbuna
01-30-2011, 9:09 PM
E Pluribus Unum. Welcome aboard.

TURBOELKY
01-30-2011, 9:24 PM
Welcome! And did you happen to bring in any AK parts??:D
If so, pm me LOL.
Enjoy your new home man.

willm952
01-30-2011, 9:38 PM
Welcome.
So you're of those hardy/tough guys? (j/k).

For CHP, I think they still use the 4506 Smith & Wesson. They like their officers to have magazine disconnects. Academy, you're talking about SFPD. Don't know what they use.
LA Sheriffs and LAPD still use Beretta 92FS. Nice gun but big grip.

Green card with HSC and secondary proof of residency is fine. Secondary proof of residency can be your California driver license. If you had an address change and it doesn't match your driver license address, you'll need the brown card from the dmv when you turn in a change of address form to buy the gun. Gun dealers are very picky because they can get their FFL license revoked and/or fined for little things.

Q
01-30-2011, 9:40 PM
Welcome aboard. You've come to the right place for gun info.
I lived in Russia and Finland for a little while to.
My advice is not to buy anything till you do more research in prices. Gunbroker.com is a good place to look for prices and stuff.

PandaLuv
01-30-2011, 11:08 PM
Lol thanks again for all the info and kind words !

I speak only English and Russian. I am one of the offsprings of the Koreans that left Korea in the mid 1800's to get away from starvation and the japanese oppression. There were a about 250,000 of Koreans by the 1930 before anti-Korean laws were made. By 1940's Stalin had ethnic cleansing to avoid "treachery"(he was afraid that Koreans would spy for the Japanase), so he moved most of the population of Koreans from Far East to Cental Asian countries(uzbekistan and Kazakhstan mostly). So yeah, lol I was born in Uzbkekistan, Former UzbekSSR.
We have a rich history, we don't consider ourselves as South or North Koreans. I personally don't call myself Russian either. Both of the Koreas would not really want me back, and former USSR is not very friendly to other ethnic groups but their own. That's why I love amaerica. This county really shows that your ethnicity with hard work would not matter.

And uh, I loved the glock when I shot it. I swear, shooting it doesn't feel like a gun at all, in a good way. Light trigger, low recoil(even with .45) quick double action(internal safety mechanism buffled me, I never knew that guns can be that smart) and light weight polymer designs really makes easy to shoot.

I've noticed that in East Bay, lots of younger cops have the Glock 9mm variants. But thanks for the advice, I will extend my research.

PS, if it were legal, I would transfer the AK part from the MotherlAnd lol

zod
01-30-2011, 11:24 PM
Welcome aboard PandaLuv. Good to have you here.

bjl333
01-30-2011, 11:45 PM
Welcome to Calguns !!! Look around and enjoy yourself. If you have any questions just ask and don't mine all the macho guys around here with an attitude!! :thumbsup:

Rekrab
01-31-2011, 1:54 PM
I'm suddenly reminded of the Starburst "Scotch-Korean" commercials...

Regardless, welcome to Calguns and, even if it is a little late, welcome to America! Good luck with the academy too.

Are you set on the Glock for any reason in specific? Or is it just the only gun you've shot? If it's the only handgun you've shot you might want to get out and try a few others just for fun.

bsg
01-31-2011, 2:06 PM
welcome to the forum.

choprzrul
01-31-2011, 2:16 PM
Welcome to America, California, and CalGuns. If you ever get the opportunity, I would highly recommend touring any and all of the U.S. by car. Take those 2 lane blacktop roads and experience Americana first hand. There is a lot to see and do in these 50 states.

PandaLuv
01-31-2011, 2:17 PM
thanks for all the welcomes again

I'm suddenly reminded of the Starburst "Scotch-Korean" commercials...

Regardless, welcome to Calguns and, even if it is a little late, welcome to America! Good luck with the academy too.

Are you set on the Glock for any reason in specific? Or is it just the only gun you've shot? If it's the only handgun you've shot you might want to get out and try a few others just for fun.

I've shot two glocks .45 and 9mm. I also shot the 1911 S&W.
I am willing to shoot other guns as well,it's just glocks have many features that I like about them.

It makes it kind of hard to go out and shoot other guns since I don't have close friends that own firearms legally. But hey,I am hoping to make friends on this forum so I can get more knowledge.

jaustin612
01-31-2011, 2:20 PM
Welcome!

I don't like communism either, but I love All varients of the AK family! Seems the one thing the russians got right lol.

I'd trade one of my nuts for a Brand new Dragunov off the factory floor.....or A Bizon, or a krink.... hehe.

00BuckShot
01-31-2011, 2:24 PM
Welcome aboard.

PandaLuv
02-01-2011, 12:32 AM
Thank you all again for the kind words. I am looking forward to asking you million questions and making friends. Maybe some day meet up with some of you shoot some guns as well :)

Falconis
02-01-2011, 1:21 AM
So no AK parts and can't speak Korean huh? Don't suppose you have a good Kal-Bi marinade recipe then? Russian brides? anything? Welcome to the states.

Hearing that little history you gave us almost makes you the perfect spokesperson of what happens when the common citizenery isn't armed and governments are allowed to commence with ethnic cleansings.

PandaLuv
02-01-2011, 1:37 AM
So no AK parts and can't speak Korean huh? Don't suppose you have a good Kal-Bi marinade recipe then? Russian brides? anything? Welcome to the states.

Hearing that little history you gave us almost makes you the perfect spokesperson of what happens when the common citizenery isn't armed and governments are allowed to commence with ethnic cleansings.

Lol yep, I don't get drunk often and I eat with a fork and a spoon.
I am baby of both worlds when I belong to neither of them.

Turo
02-01-2011, 1:46 AM
Lol yep, I don't get drunk often and I eat with a fork and a spoon.
I am baby of both worlds when I belong to neither of them.

Well then you're in luck! You get to be an American now. A citizen of the greatest country in the world (my opinion of course ;)).

Welcome to the forums! A GLOCK 17 is a great gun to start on, especially if you have large-ish hands. If you're not too dead set on the 17, the 19 is usually considered the best size GLOCK. It can be carried concealed by many, but still has the full 3 fingered grip of the 17.

Bo0tyBandit
02-01-2011, 3:35 AM
Well then you're in luck! You get to be an American now. A citizen of the greatest country in the world (my opinion of course ;)).

Welcome to the forums! A GLOCK 17 is a great gun to start on, especially if you have large-ish hands. If you're not too dead set on the 17, the 19 is usually considered the best size GLOCK. It can be carried concealed by many, but still has the full 3 fingered grip of the 17.

What he said, I have medium sized fat hands and the Glock 17 was too much of a reach for me so I went with the 19 and it fits my hands like a dream. I almost like it more than my XD..... almost :D

ooh, and welcome to America/Calguns!

Big E
02-01-2011, 7:52 AM
Welcome to Calguns. You're the first non-Korean Korean I've met (albeit a website), but not the first person with a similar story. Glad you made it here and have your Green Card. Sounds like your won't be going back, so welcome to the US....make yourself at home.

FS00008
02-01-2011, 8:47 AM
Lol thanks again for all the info and kind words !

I speak only English and Russian. I am one of the offsprings of the Koreans that left Korea in the mid 1800's to get away from starvation and the japanese oppression. There were a about 250,000 of Koreans by the 1930 before anti-Korean laws were made. By 1940's Stalin had ethnic cleansing to avoid "treachery"(he was afraid that Koreans would spy for the Japanase), so he moved most of the population of Koreans from Far East to Cental Asian countries(uzbekistan and Kazakhstan mostly). So yeah, lol I was born in Uzbkekistan, Former UzbekSSR.
We have a rich history, we don't consider ourselves as South or North Koreans. I personally don't call myself Russian either. Both of the Koreas would not really want me back, and former USSR is not very friendly to other ethnic groups but their own. That's why I love amaerica. This county really shows that your ethnicity with hard work would not matter.

And uh, I loved the glock when I shot it. I swear, shooting it doesn't feel like a gun at all, in a good way. Light trigger, low recoil(even with .45) quick double action(internal safety mechanism buffled me, I never knew that guns can be that smart) and light weight polymer designs really makes easy to shoot.

I've noticed that in East Bay, lots of younger cops have the Glock 9mm variants. But thanks for the advice, I will extend my research.

PS, if it were legal, I would transfer the AK part from the MotherlAnd lol

Most cops in East Bay are actually running .40S&W Glocks, not 9MMs FYI.

PandaLuv
02-01-2011, 10:07 AM
Oh ok I didn't know that they use .40. Still learning.

Also I shot the 17 before, it fit me like a glove. I wear xl gloves so they're on a bigger side.

hcbr
02-01-2011, 10:20 AM
Welcome PandaLuv! As a korean, i actually identify myself as a good ol american man and proud to be part of the red white and blue (even though our economy is in the gutter) Anyways, if you're ever down in the socal region, my arsenal is open for you to shoot, including my Glock 17 ;)

PandaLuv
02-01-2011, 10:31 AM
Thanks HCBR!
I appreciate it.
:)

stphnman20
02-01-2011, 10:35 AM
Hello and Welcome!