PDA

View Full Version : AB 352 & AB 2714 Report, 8/29, 9:00 PM

mikehaas
08-29-2006, 9:08 PM
08/29/2006 - No action was taken today on AB 352, however, AB 2714 was dealt a setback, being referred back to the Senate Rules Committee from the Senate Floor to determine if further committee action is required. The bill is still a threat and NRA requests that you keep up the pressure on the Senate, urging opposition to AB 2714.

Additionally, please continue contacting the Assembly regarding AB 352. These two bills are NRA's top priorities at this time. Contact tools and more information is available at the below links.

Note also the the 2005-2006 legislative session expires at Midnight, Thursday, August 31 - the time left to fight these bills is dwindling, so ACT NOW.

http://calnra.com/legs.shtml?year=2006&summary=ab352

http://calnra.com/legs.shtml?year=2006&summary=ab2714

Mike

Creeping Incrementalism
08-29-2006, 9:18 PM
Thanks for the update, Mike.

cnyankee
08-29-2006, 10:22 PM
ditto...thanks mike

chris
08-29-2006, 11:19 PM
one click e-mail sent. come on guys lets slam'em hard on this one.

glockk9mm
08-29-2006, 11:29 PM
e-mails sent for both bills. By the way, will our one click e-mails make a difference?

chris
08-30-2006, 1:16 AM
e-mails sent for both bills. By the way, will our one click e-mails make a difference?

you can read this thread that mike was so kind to provide on this exact question. you will have to scroll down a couple of replies though.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=38884&highlight=click

rod
08-30-2006, 7:13 AM
One-Click sent.

6172crew
08-30-2006, 8:04 AM
Your kidding? 5 people one clicked out of 1000+ members on this board?:(

Unsat.

chiefcrash
08-30-2006, 9:27 AM
i send a one click from every email address i have. i just don't feel the need to make a post every time i do...

and i have a LOT of email addresses...

6172crew
08-30-2006, 9:30 AM
i send a one click from every email address i have. i just don't feel the need to make a post every time i do...

and i have a LOT of email addresses...

It gives the NRA an idea how effective this site is and only took you as long as it took you to tell me you didnt want to tell me.:rolleyes:

tpliquid1
08-30-2006, 9:32 AM
i click on the 1 click email, but theres nothing in the body. is i supposing to writing something?

Riptide
08-30-2006, 9:35 AM
1-Click sent

rod
08-30-2006, 9:36 AM
i click on the 1 click email, but theres nothing in the body. is i supposing to writing something?

Yes.

+

1 2 3 4 5 6 = 10 characters

chiefcrash
08-30-2006, 9:39 AM
It gives the NRA an idea how effective this site is and only took you as long as it took you to tell me you didnt want to tell me.:rolleyes:

i'll keep that in mind. i just didn't wanna spam the forum

mikehaas
08-30-2006, 9:40 AM
Thanks all! I know NRA is very proud of CalGuns jumping into the legislative fight in a big way - they were impressed with your turnout AND testimony at the DOJ hearing. The http://calnra.com/ website now has links to calguns from a couple places. I would never have imagined we would be linking to a public forum, but it's turning into a great association (and I think our linkage has not escaped Sacramento!)

Keep up the pressure!

Mike

tpliquid1
08-30-2006, 9:52 AM
post ur letters, i would like to copy. my english is not well

6172crew
08-30-2006, 10:08 AM
post ur letters, i would like to copy. my english is not well

Copy and Paste!:D

This bill would seriously undermine the current California state preemption law, by giving local governments the authority to enact stricter laws regarding ammunition sales than currently exist statewide. AB2714 does not limit its exemption to CA preemption law to handgun ammunition only, and applies it to sales of ALL types of ammunition, not just handgun ammo. CITIES COULD BAN AMMO SALES ENTIRELY.

"Any person, corporation, or dealer who delivers . . ." can be prosecuted. Seems to include the seller, and the carrier, and whoever else might touch the package.

AB 2714 will cause carriers delays in searching for the purchaser of ammunition, in making multiple delivery attempts if the purchaser cannot be located, and in verifying the purchaser's age.

AB2714 does not define "retail transaction" and it is unclear whether it applies to sales of ammunition by individuals not in the business of selling ammunition.

AB2714 imposes record keeping requirements on persons who do not reside in the State of California. Shipping to California

AB2714 imposes record keeping requirements for sales to persons in states other than California.

AB2714 exempts sworn police, and "law enforcement representatives" but requires the head of law enforcement agencies to provide written authorization identifying each employee authorized to purchase ammunition.

AB2714 could impose liability on the seller of ammunition to law enforcement agencies when the law enforcement representative does not use the ammunition exclusively for the agency use (i.e. target practice, home protection, competitions, etc.) - something that is beyond the control of the seller once the ammunition has been shipped.

AB2714 is unclear as to whether "sworn peace officers" are also required to obtain "prior written authorization from the head of the agency employing them" since they are also law enforcement representatives of cities, counties, cities and counties, or state and federal governments. It does not define "law enforcement representatives of cities, counties, cities and counties, or state and federal governments" and it is unclear to whom this provision would apply - i.e. does it apply to mayors, city council members, senators, assemblypersons, district attorneys, agents of the attorney general's office, judges, etc?

THE CONSEQUENCES OF (AB352) KORETZ HANDGUN MICRO-STAMPING WILL BE THE FOLLOWING:

HANDGUN MICRO-STAMPING CREATES EVIDENCE:
The provisions of AB352 that require that unique micro-stamped characters be transferred into the surface cartridge case every time a semi-auto handgun is fired, turns EVERY spent cartridge case into potential evidence in civil and criminal cases.

HANDGUN MICRO-STAMPING CREATES FALSE EVIDENCE TRAILS:
Micro-stamped cartridge cases fired and abandoned at Government agencies facilities or private Shooting ranges could be gathered and used to “seed” crime scenes with the with “evidence” Implicating law enforcement officers and citizens to crimes they had nothing to do with.

HANDGUN MICRO-STAMPING WILL HURT THE ENVIROMENT:
Currently Government agencies recycle spent cartridge cases so private vendors can reload them. With the metal cases being micro-stamped with identifying information of the initial users, the micro-stamped cases would be rendered useless for recycling and would have to be destroyed to eliminate the possibility og implicating secondary users of the metallic cases. Millions of pounds of metals will be turned into scrap and require expense disposal requirements imposed so it will not enter landfills.

HANDGUN MICRO-STAMPING WILL INCREASE THE COST OF TRAINING TO GOVERNMENT AGENCIES:
The loss of the ability to sell and recycle used micro-stamped cartridge cases will drive up the costs of Government agencies' firearms training programs. The Government agencies will also have additional costs imposed on them for the new costs of disposing the metallic cartridge cases that may be deemed as hazardous waste.

HANDGUN MICRO STAMPING WILL INCREASE THE POTENTIAL CIVIL LIABILTY FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT AND GOVERNMENT ANGENCIES:
The provisions of AB352 would specify that any new handguns not micro-stamped would fall into a category of handguns declared by the State of California as being “unsafe”. If California government agencies decided to purchase non-micro stamped “unsafe “ handguns and issued them to their officers, they would be equipping their staff with unsafe products to use. If the Law enforcement staff was involved in any shooting related incidents or accidents, imagine the possible civil litigation costs associated with the public use of the unsafe handguns.

OTHERS ISSUES:
The provisions of AB352 only require the micro-stamping of semi-auto handguns. AB352 does not require Rifles, Shotguns or revolvers. Why not??? The micro-stamped images required by AB352 can easily be defeated by simply: 1) Replacing the parts of the handgun that have been stamped. 2) Removing the stamped characters by polishing or rubbing the metal with abrasives. (The characters are only microns deep) 3) Modification of the stamped parts. 4) The stamped markings can be filled-in with powder reside and grit produced with the normal firing of the handgun

06/20/2006 - AB 352 has been removed from the inactive file and is again in play. After a long period of inactivity, Koretz is again trying to move the issue of Microstamping. NRA requests members contact the Senate and voice your strong opposition to AB 352.

I just took those from the CALNRA website and copied and pasted them here.
your title should be something easy for them to define.

"I oppose ADXXX or I agree with SBXXX;)

Liberty Rules
08-30-2006, 10:20 AM
I used the one click link to send an email to the assembly opposing AB352. Not that the majority of the hacks will read anything that I wrote, I did script my own email instead of using a form letter. Cut and paste from a template, or draft your own, the important thing is to have another email in the "no" column. If you do not have time, simply state that you oppose it and send it.

chickenfried
08-30-2006, 10:27 AM
Wondering, sending a form letter vs. personal thoughts, any difference in effectiveness? I usually spend the time and write out my own thoughts on the matter. But if a form letter has the same effect, well then why not?

tpliquid1
08-30-2006, 10:28 AM
grazi, emails sent

cnyankee
08-30-2006, 10:32 AM
i have been doing more than sending a generic email. ive taken the basic part of the letter and adding my personal statement (so it doesnt look generic)that ive never voted for a republican before and i do vote but im ready to change parties etc...

now whenever a bill changes hands i send to where the bill is going next. not only email but a hand written letter (my writing is easy to read). i would send everyday but i have only 1 email address and mass mailing from 1 address i think would make them look at it as a flame and not take my letter with any credibility. i have also gotten my gun friends to do the same over the last few months( not calgun members).

any other ideas?

6172crew
08-30-2006, 10:33 AM
grazi, emails sent

No sir, Thanks go to you. We can keep this junk from getting signed if we just give some effort.

Im sure that the letters go into 2 stacks, for and against.

bg
08-30-2006, 10:37 AM
I again called my AM Russ Bogh and was assured that
he would vote no on AB 352 as well as any gun control
bills. I was told that AB 352 was eligible for a vote
today the 30th ! So keep calling if you can.

THIS IS IT. The vote will be either today or
tomorrow at the latest.

I as well contacted AM Gloria Negrete McLeod.
She voted NO on AB 352 in the past and will
be a crucial player regarding this asinine bill.
It only takes a minute and a few cents for a
long dist call. Num is 1-916-319-2061.

http://democrats.assembly.ca.gov/members/a61/mailform.aspx

sargenv
08-30-2006, 11:15 AM
I don't know how much my phone call will do, since Canciamilla voted yes on AB352 when it was in the Assembly, but I called his Sacramento Office today and registered my opposition to it.

Vince

Skawrpion
08-30-2006, 11:28 AM
Emails sent yesterday opposing all 3 current issues. Thanks for the info.

VeryCoolCat
08-30-2006, 11:34 AM
I don't know about you guys... but everytime I've sent a one-click email.

I always included my name & address in the heading then spoke my words.