PDA

View Full Version : NYT: Watch Out! The Assault Vehicle Is Loose!

ipser
01-30-2011, 9:47 AM
Americans are infatuated with guns. And when you’re infatuated, you sometimes can’t think straight. Maybe that’s why, three weeks after the Tucson shootings that shook the nation, we’re still no closer to banning oversize magazines like the 33-bullet model allegedly used there. Maybe it will help clarify issues if we imagine an alternate universe — one in which Americans exhibit their toughness not with assault weapons but with assault vehicles, a world in which our torrid libertarian passion is not for our guns but for our cars. That alternate universe might look like this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/30/opinion/30kristof.html

Kristof attempts satire.

12voltguy
01-30-2011, 10:06 AM
will someone point out that the vt shooter killed more people with his 10rd mags?
every video or radio spot I hear about the az shooting, nobody pro gun ever points this out???????????

Jack L
01-30-2011, 10:08 AM
will someone point out that the vt shooter killed more people with his 10rd mags?
every video or radio spot I hear about the az shooting, nobody pro gun ever points this out???????????

Good point. Thanks.

gunace89
01-30-2011, 10:20 AM
I love how he states we need to treat firearms in this country as a part of a public health risk, as if owning guns is some sort of disease:rolleyes: Also, most of what he stated the government should do at the end of the article has mostly been implimented. What I love in his car example, no where does he say that driving a vehicle is a privelage, owning a gun is a right.

ipser
01-30-2011, 10:36 AM
...no where does he say that driving a vehicle is a privelage, owning a gun is a right.

Of course, but this begs the question: why?! Why is gun ownership a right?

Yes, Americans are "infatuated" with guns. But not Kristof, of course. He, like most NYT writers, is, instead, infatuated with government control. Every social problem requires a government solution.

Private ownershp of guns is not merely a violation of this principle, it is an impediment to it.

Baconator
01-30-2011, 10:52 AM
I love how he states we need to treat firearms in this country as a part of a public health risk, as if owning guns is some sort of disease:rolleyes:

It is a disease; I can't stop buying them. :44:

Blackhawk556
01-30-2011, 10:57 AM
It is a disease, have you heard of BRD??????

Swiss
01-30-2011, 10:59 AM
From what I can find he used 15-rd mags for the 9mm Glock and 10-rd mags for the .22 Walther

Lrchops
01-30-2011, 11:02 AM
These are the items that immediatley kill more people than guns: Vehicles, Knives, Screw Drivers, Water, Rocks, and Motorcycles.

The Director
01-30-2011, 11:05 AM
Damn. I want an assault vehicle!

SanPedroShooter
01-30-2011, 11:08 AM
"Ask Nicholas Kristof and George Clooney questions about malaria."

Next week him and george clooney will answer questions about malaria. This guy knows everything!

gunace89
01-30-2011, 11:13 AM
It is a disease, have you heard of BRD??????

Ha, Ive managed to not catch it yet, but im feeling it slowly creeping up on me:hide:

These are the items that immediatley kill more people than guns: Vehicles, Knives, Screw Drivers, Water, Rocks, and Motorcycles.

I read a long time ago a book called Freakanomics, where the author statistically proved that children die more from drowning in backyard pools then getting ahold of gun. Of course, the anti's dont want to admit that.

pointedstick
01-30-2011, 11:14 AM
Epic takedown:

http://www.snowflakesinhell.com/2011/01/30/kristofs-car-analogy-is-epic-fail/

(not my blog)

753X0
01-30-2011, 11:18 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nug5FZgxuk

ScottB
01-30-2011, 11:19 AM

And you are free to own one.

You just cant mount NFA listed destructive devices and you can't (in the case of tracked vehicles) get it licensed to drive on public streets

mfmayes49
01-30-2011, 11:21 AM
The sad part is our reps from Kalifornia don't listen to us gun owners , We all know where they stand on Gun rights. As long as they get reelected like Boxer did, we have a snow ball chance in hell. I just hope the reps from other states shoot down any anti gun bills from the left.

timdps
01-30-2011, 12:07 PM
The alternate history posited by the NYT article already exists in this country. Even WITH driver licensing and vehicle registration, cars kill more people than guns every year.

Tim

SanPedroShooter
01-30-2011, 12:23 PM
Epic takedown:

http://www.snowflakesinhell.com/2011/01/30/kristofs-car-analogy-is-epic-fail/

(not my blog)

Ha! Awesome, and fast too. Saul Hermke and Duane Laperrier, watch out!

Mute
01-30-2011, 2:17 PM
Once again these people twist reality to suit their personal ideology. Let's examine an alternate reality that's much closer to reality. If cars were treated like guns, all car owners would be treated like DUI offenders and every vehicle would be incapable of doing more than 30 mph. A breathalyzer would be standard in every car and the driver would have to blow into it every five minutes in order for the car to keep operating. Of course all the supporters of such a scheme will question the morality of anyone opposed to such things because, after all, it's for the children and if it saves just one life, it's worth it.

jonyg
01-30-2011, 2:23 PM
I love how he states we need to treat firearms in this country as a part of a public health risk, as if owning guns is some sort of disease:rolleyes:

it is like a disease! I can't seem to stop spending on em! well more like an addiction.

haha more seriously, the guy's arrogance is infuriating. As if he was the only one who had a clear view of what our "infatuation" blinds us too. Cause his fear of guns, political presuppositions etc doesn't cloud his judgement at all.

yellowfin
01-30-2011, 2:47 PM
The most people ever killed by a single person, over 500, was using a 5 round bolt action rifle.

a1c
01-30-2011, 2:56 PM
I was expecting to see this:

http://ltcyclery.com/images/090416-08-GMC_EM50_Urban_Assault_Vehicle_from_Stripes.jpg

rero360
01-30-2011, 3:29 PM
The most people ever killed by a single person, over 500, was using a 5 round bolt action rifle.

Simo Hayha aka White Death :D

Kid Stanislaus
01-30-2011, 5:25 PM
"Ask Nicholas Kristof and George Clooney questions about malaria."

Next week him and george clooney will answer questions about malaria. This guy knows everything!

Yeah, and I'll bet Geo. Looney thinks he a doctor because he played one on TV!!:rolleyes:

fraz
01-30-2011, 7:13 PM
Of course, but this begs the question: why?! Why is gun ownership a right?

Yes, Americans are "infatuated" with guns. But not Kristof, of course. He, like most NYT writers, is, instead, infatuated with government control. Every social problem requires a government solution.

Private ownershp of guns is not merely a violation of this principle, it is an impediment to it.

What principle are you talking about?

Rockjaw
01-30-2011, 7:22 PM
Hahahahahahahahaha Thats the best they can do?!

:willy_nilly::willy_nilly::willy_nilly::80:
http://www.tanks-alot.co.uk/sales.htm:43: