PDA

View Full Version : The 2nd Amendment is a Monument on Paper.

AXI
01-30-2011, 1:45 AM
I view the entire issue of legality as this, a petition to remove our culture.

America is not like any other country, so the arguments about "us" being like "whoever" fall flat. We are leaders, not followers.

The culture of the United States is seeded in individuality, not in unification. Think of how long it took us to get a constitution, the reason is that people have an inherent right to defend themselves, both physically and legally.

Weapons are a monument to the responsible American, if there is a problem with some Americans not being responsible, then they must not ruin it for us. This right does not have to be exercised by everyone, people have a right not to carry and a right not to have weapons in their home. However, choosing to not take an apple from the basket and telling others they can not have it, when the basket is there to share is a crime.

2A needs to not be a Republican thing or a Conservative thing, its a monument to the interest of America. Culturally this Amendment is blind; its blind to Gender, Race, Lifestyle, etc. Once it is seen that America's culture is innate and must be protected, 2A will be seen differently.

CalBear
01-30-2011, 1:50 AM
I agree American culture is one of individual freedom, and it should be protected as such. The 2A guarantees our right to keep and bear arms, and this is a crucial part of our nation's history and present day.

The problem is, I think a lot of people look at European countries as utopias to strive for. Plenty of other people want a UN style government where the world has one set of laws and where we all become one giant nation. I think this is a horrible idea that would never work.

Americans don't feel the same level of civic or personal responsibility they once did. In areas where citizens get more involved in their own protection, their town meetings and general affairs, things tend to run better. Things are going to hell in cities where people just expect things to be provided and have no interest in self preservation or giving civic input.

Don29palms
01-30-2011, 2:32 AM
I'm all for the most reasonable amount of gun control allowed by the 2A. From reading the 2A the most reasonable gun control allowed is none. It states it right in the 2A.

THE RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!

Ford8N
01-30-2011, 6:03 AM
I view the entire issue of legality as this, a petition to remove our culture.

America is not like any other country, so the arguments about "us" being like "whoever" fall flat. We are leaders, not followers.

The culture of the United States is seeded in individuality, not in unification. Think of how long it took us to get a constitution, the reason is that people have an inherent right to defend themselves, both physically and legally.

Weapons are a monument to the responsible American, if there is a problem with some Americans not being responsible, then they must not ruin it for us. This right does not have to be exercised by everyone, people have a right not to carry and a right not to have weapons in their home. However, choosing to not take an apple from the basket and telling others they can not have it, when the basket is there to share is a crime.

2A needs to not be a Republican thing or a Conservative thing, its a monument to the interest of America. Culturally this Amendment is blind; its blind to Gender, Race, Lifestyle, etc. Once it is seen that America's culture is innate and must be protected, 2A will be seen differently.

I know what you are trying to say but your rulers in Sacramento totally disagree with you.

753X0
01-30-2011, 8:28 AM
I see it as a test. If liberals (Democrats, generally) typically support the 2A, then they pass the test.
As it is, most of the individuals who pass the test are conservatives/libertarians.
Of course, as is often pointed out, you can't count on a Republican to support gun rights (a la Ahnuld and Dubyuh), and neither can you count out all Dems, like Giffords, who at least has a history of gun ownership/support.
OTOH, if the majority of Repub pols support 2A and the majority of Dems, don't is that meaningless? I think not.

PatriotnMore
01-30-2011, 8:32 AM
I know what you are trying to say but your rulers in Sacramento totally disagree with you.

Extrapolating that further, the majority of California voters totally disagree, and are clueless, after all, it is the voter who puts them in office, and gives them the voice and power to run amok, and create the CA we have today.

pointedstick
01-30-2011, 9:40 AM
The culture of the United States is seeded in individuality, not in unification.

That's the whole issue, right there. From the very beginning, there were those who thought otherwise, and they've only been getting stronger over our nation's history. The whole idea of "limited government" has been a failure; since its inception, the central government has continually expanded the boundaries of what it can affect, and now it touches basically everything.

As much as it pains me to admit it, if you look at the state of our governance compared to those of most European countries, there are only really superficial differences. I mean, we can't build a house on our own land without approval from bureaucrats. We can't decide what substances to ingest. We need a permit to enter or exit the country. An enormous proportion of our income is taken without permission to fund titanically expensive welfare schemes and foreign wars fought with a tremendous standing army. Almost everything we do is a crime; have you ever tried reading your city or county code? I discovered that it's a misdemeanor to wash your car with a hose or organize a bingo game without a license in my town. Dozens of other activities are subject to expensive discretionary one-year licenses. We're all criminals, really. Any time they want, they could pick us up for a few dozen misdemeanors and a felony or two that we didn't realize we'd committed.

We have more gun rights and a slightly less socialized healthcare system, and that's about it. Our governments are as unified and all-powerful as most modern first-world governments are.