PDA

View Full Version : M1 Garand Cartouche Stamps?

EBWhite
08-29-2006, 5:33 PM
Hey guys-

I got my CMP garands and want to put the original cartouches on the stock (The SA and the bomb). Does anyone know who provides this service or loans/sales the stamps?

(ps. im not looking to pass the rifles off as originals, i just want to make my personal rifles looks more original, both 1943 makes :-) )

-hanko
08-29-2006, 5:49 PM
Hey guys-

I got my CMP garands and want to put the original cartouches on the stock (The SA and the bomb). Does anyone know who provides this service or loans/sales the stamps?

(ps. im not looking to pass the rifles off as originals, i just want to make my personal rifles looks more original, both 1943 makes :-) )
E-gunparts / Numrich has the stamps.

-hanko

EOD Guy
08-29-2006, 6:25 PM
Hey guys-

There is no such cartouche or marking on any Garand. Reproduction (fake) cartouches are frauds.

EBWhite
08-29-2006, 6:31 PM
E-gunparts / Numrich has the stamps.

-hanko

Only see one and its for serial numbers 700000+, mine are both in the 400000's

Any other sources guys? :confused:

EBWhite
08-29-2006, 6:33 PM
There is no such cartouche or marking on any Garand. Reproduction (fake) cartouches are frauds.

Wrong, Garands came with different cartouches on their stocks by production date and make.

There is nothing wrong with taking a reproduction stock, and putting the correct stamps on it for a personal collection. That is why I stated in my first post that this was not being done to resell the guns as collectors grade garands.

Hunter
08-29-2006, 7:40 PM
Hey guys-

If you want the original stamps reapplied, then you only need to get in touch with one individual.......TOM FINDLEY

this shows the various stamps....
http://www.trfindley.com/pgsnstmpsm1.html

his services...
http://www.trfindley.com/pgstkrest.html

EBWhite
08-29-2006, 7:46 PM
If you want the original stamps reapplied, then you only need to get in touch with one individual.......TOM FINDLEY

this shows the various stamps....
http://www.trfindley.com/pgsnstmpsm1.html

his services...
http://www.trfindley.com/pgstkrest.html

Does he perform quality work? Trustworthy with a new CMP repo stock?

thanks
eb

Hunter
08-29-2006, 8:09 PM
All reports are he is top notch. He is a wood refinsher and does supurb work. So much so, that some purist hate him since his restamped stocks are very hard to tell from the orginals. Plus all of his stamps are true originals that he has accumulated over the years. These are ones that made it out of Winchester, SA, IHC, ect.... None are repros.

He will only stamp say a SA with the proper SA stamps and not convert them into say a Win. stock. So he does try to keep a handle on those that try to profit from his services via ebay and other places....

30Cal
08-30-2006, 7:44 AM
Please permanantly mark the stock on the inside. It's almost inevitible that it will eventually sold as original otherwise.

I've never met a dealer at a gunshow selling stocks with repro stamps. Only hump artists charging real deal prices and being evasive about where the stamps came from.

Ty

EBWhite
08-30-2006, 9:36 AM
Contacted the above mentioned gentleman and will be doing business with him once i get my stock from CMP.
The stocks are already marked on the inside from boyds i believe.

thanks guys
EB

30Cal
08-30-2006, 9:49 AM

thanks guys
EB

FWIW, I bought a Boyd's stock at the Reno show. It wasn't marked.

Hunter
08-30-2006, 11:55 AM
FWIW, I bought a Boyd's stock at the Reno show. It wasn't marked.

Actually the CMPs are not Boyd's. So they will not be marked other than with the CMP logo.

The Boyd's stocks are easy to identify as the angle on the bottom pistol grip is quite different from original garand stocks.

SDJim
08-30-2006, 12:29 PM
[QUOTE=EBWhite]Contacted the above mentioned gentleman and will be doing business with him once i get my stock from CMP.

EB,

If you got one of the new CMP stocks, were you aware there is a 1/2X1/2" CMP stamp right where the original cartouches would go.

It looks just like (well close enough for government work) the original DAS stamp. Think the eagle with the 3 arrows with the letters CMP at the bottom.

30Cal
08-30-2006, 12:36 PM
Actually the CMPs are not Boyd's. So they will not be marked other than with the CMP logo.

The Boyd's stocks are easy to identify as the angle on the bottom pistol grip is quite different from original garand stocks.

That's the truth. It took me quite a bit of work to get the Boyd's wood slimmed down. The grip angle is tough to fix--you cannot remove too much wood to better define the grip/comb without cutting into the buttstock cavities. Now that I look at it, I could have done some work up in front of the mag well...

Here's how it ended up:
http://webpages.charter.net/tyoberg/upload/CMP%20rifles%20Jul-Aug06/DSCN1332_edited.JPG

NRAhighpowershooter
08-30-2006, 12:52 PM
The CMP stocks ARE boyds..... they are sent to Dupage to be slimmed down and they also stamp the CMP cartouch THEN they are shipped to the CMP for sales.

EBWhite
08-30-2006, 1:38 PM
CMP does have a few that are not stamped for people who do not want the stamped ones.