PDA

View Full Version : Assemblyman's Ray Haynes suggestion

Satex
08-29-2006, 2:21 PM
I have been using the one click system to send my comments to the assemblymembers.
Here is the response I received from Assemblyman Ray Haynes:

I have always been a staunch supporter of gun rights, and so I always oppose laws which are basically created to restrict our 2nd Amendment Rights. For that reason, I have voted against all three of the following bills.

AB 352, Micro-stamping. This bill is in the Assembly for concurrence in Senate Amendments, and will likely come up for a vote tomorrow.

AB 2714, Purchasing ammunition over the internet. This bill is on the Senate floor, and could be voted on any time.

SB 59, reporting theft or loss of a firearm. This bill is in the Senate for concurrence in Assembly Amendments and could come up for a vote any time.

All of these bills require only a majority vote, so they could easily pass with the Democrat majorities in both houses. I would suggest that you start contacting the Governorís office and ask him to veto them should they reach his desk.

Assemblyman Ray Haynes

Folks, lets act on this.
Here is the Governor's contact info:
Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
State Capitol Building
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone: 916-445-2841
Fax: 916-445-4633

And here is a link to email him: http://www.govmail.ca.gov/

I already dispatched a fax and an email.

bwiese
08-29-2006, 2:28 PM
Well-written US mail COUNTS BIG. Hell, if it comes in a FedEx envelope it counts bigger. It shows you care :)

In 1998 when Perata's 1st generic AW ban was passed by legislature I sent a FexEx letter to Gov Wilson's office.

The almost exact same language - sentence structure retained, so close it only differed by umms and ahhs - of my letter was directly used a short time later by Gov Wilson's aide (Dan Schnur? or was it another, can't remember) on radio and in quotes in newspaper.

If you give 'em key talking points it makes their lives easier.

6172crew
08-29-2006, 2:30 PM
Lets go guys, tommarow is the last day! If 352 becomes law its because you were waiting fvor someone else to send these guys an email.

Send em!:cool:

mikehaas
08-29-2006, 3:37 PM
Lets go guys, tommarow is the last day! If 352 becomes law its because you were waiting fvor someone else to send these guys an email.

Send em!:cool:
Please do not do this yet. The fight is in the Assembly and we need every one of your comments directed there. (And tomorrow is not the last day, the 31st is - until midnight. But they will physically stop the clock on the floor and continue. They do that every year.)

I don't want to differ with Senator Hayne's office, but it's just too early. if we concentrate on the Assembly, we can keep this bill from getting to the governor. if we don't concentrate on THE PLACE WHERE THE BILL IS NOW, we can allow it to progress.

if it passes, there will be time to address Arnold - he has 30 days from the time it passes to amke a decision.

Don't lose focus! Don't jump from what NRA directs. The bill is in the ASSEMBLY and that's where we must direct our input.

http://calnra.com/legs.shtml?year=2006&summary=ab352

http://calnra.com/legs/asm.shtml

Mike

RJ Dunn
08-29-2006, 3:58 PM
Sent mine, how about you? I also sent email to the assembly

Can'thavenuthingood
08-29-2006, 4:04 PM
Sent mine about 4PM today.
Called and emailed Parra and Florez.
Vick

Creeping Incrementalism
08-29-2006, 8:00 PM
[b] (And tomorrow is not the last day, the 31st is - until midnight. But they will physically stop the clock on the floor and continue. They do that every year.)

So that means that every bill passed out of the Assembly/Senate after midnight on the last day is null and void? Right? :(

grammaton76
08-29-2006, 8:01 PM
So that means that every bill passed out of the Assembly/Senate after midnight on the last day is null and void?

Ah, but in their little world, it's not midnight yet. :rolleyes:

Wonder what would happen if someone snuck in there and advanced the clock while they weren't looking - would that nullify things? :)

Creeping Incrementalism
08-29-2006, 8:12 PM
Sometimes I wonder why I bother to follow the law when the government not only continuously breaks it, but does so in the most asinine way possible. I mean, stopping the gosh-darn clock--that's the kind of thing you'd expect in a comedy routine.

I'd like to see Ah-nuld bust in there, grab the clock, move the hands to midnight, scream, "GET OUT!", then break it on the speaker's desk.

M. Sage
08-29-2006, 8:45 PM
Please tell me they don't really do that...

First I read about "Open season on legislators," where they're holding these bills up to milk more "campaign contributions" out of lobbyists, now I read they stop the clock and pretend it's not end of session?

The more I learn about politics in CA, the more I think I need to GTFO.

mikehaas
08-29-2006, 9:12 PM
So that means that every bill passed out of the Assembly/Senate after midnight on the last day is null and void? Right? :(
Close. Every bill that doesn't pass out of the Assembly/Senate - and go on to the governor's desk - after midnight on the last day (Thursday, Aug 31 at midnight) is null and void. A bill must pass both houses in the same form to go to the governor.

Mike

mikehaas
08-30-2006, 10:00 AM
As far as the Legislature stoping the clock at midnight, its more lore than practice.

oddly, it is an actual term used in the building. see the Assembly clerks website glossary and scroll to "stop the clock"
http://www.assembly.ca.gov/clerk/BILLSLEGISLATURE/glossary.asp?alist=S&Valid=0&Target=1

But honestly, I wouldnt worry about that this year.
WHy not? Do you really think they care about stopping at midnight? Their last chance to get their bill passed? They stop the clock every year. No one says anything about it (like ghost voting - illegal, but they do it every day) - no one is there to enforce rules on the legislature. They will stop the clock tomorrow night, of that you can be sure.

Almost 8 years ago, the legicritters would regularly make lots of gun bill changes on the last night of the legislature - anything to get their bill passed - well past midnight. That was, until the year we started asking Members' Council volunteers to standby their computers in the wee hours of the morning. Our lobbyist was able to move from leg office to leg office, identifying who was on the fence. Then he would place a phone call to "an MC person", who would broadcast over our internal MC network where we needed to focus.

Our lobbyist being able to flood an office with phone calls at 2 A.M. - just minutes after he left that office - really shook up Sacramento. They eventually quit trying this BS with gun bills, but they still stop the clock every year. (I'll give you a report, because I'll be up that night :-)

BTW, your NRA lobbyist Ed Worley always makes a point to outlast all lawmakers on the last night. He makes sure that, when they drag their exhausted butts out of the chambers at 3AM, 4AM, whenever, he is standing by the door saying "Goodbye" to them.

Mike