PDA

View Full Version : Ar10 Oll ?

mr2.0
08-29-2006, 1:07 AM
Any news for the ar10 OLL beside the Hesse? Please let me know, I'm running out of patience, thanks. Tam

C.G.
08-29-2006, 1:28 AM
Any news for the ar10 OLL beside the Hesse? Please let me know, I'm running out of patience, thanks. Tam

Get more patience.:)

mr2.0
08-29-2006, 1:35 AM
^^^ Any news on it, C.G? At least the near future?

bwiese
08-29-2006, 1:36 AM
The Vulcan AR10 lower is the only thing legal and in production. It's a hit or miss proposition from what I hear, but at least you can use Armalite uppers with one minor tweak (maybe the mag?)

I believe most of the problems may be with the crappy fixed mag - replace with an Armalite 10rd mag and you might well be OK as it does take some effort to screw up a lower. Folks do have working reliable accurate rifles made from these so the effort to acquire one won't be in vain.

Bushmaster 308 rifles are off-list but are dead products due to flaws.

Rock River is supposedly offering a 308 that will be a 'fixed Bushmaster'. It will not be Armalite compatible.

Given that the lower doesn't do much, you wanna look at the upper's design on an AR spinoff. Armalite and Stoner (Knight's) seem to have the longest design span, in volume, of production 308 AR designs. It would make sense to stick with these systems if you can.

In fact, if the RRA 308 were out and I had my choice of off-list Vulcan 308 lower + Armalite AR10 upper, or a spankin'-new RRA 308 off-list rifle, I'd go for the Vulcan/Armalite combo - hands down. If one Vulcan lower doesn't run, another will, but it's usu the crap fixed mag. Once you've gotten past that point, all's well, and the operational issues all revolve around the upper.

[I have an AR10A2 and it's perfect, esp w/6X IOR scope. A few of you may have had the chance to shoot it at the last Chabot Shoot-N-Q.]

adamsreeftank
08-29-2006, 1:29 PM
I believe the San Jose Gun exchange still has the Hesse/Vulcan fixed mag HAR-10 lowers.

The biggest problem with the HAR-10 is that it is designed for the DPMS mags. AR-10 mags are too narrow for the magwell. The DMPS mags are too wide for an AR-10 upper without doing some mods to the mag. If you do a search for Hesse, you will find some long threads with lots of info.

Also, I think the Bushmaster rifle had a problem with a bolt that was not properly heat treated, but you can get a proper bolt from them. At least, that's what I read somewhere online, so it has to be true.:D

anotherone
08-29-2006, 4:05 PM
Bill's correct. If you use an Armalite upper on your HAR-10 then you'll need to get an Armalite 10 round mag. Of course if you have any pre-ban M-14 mags or AR-10 mags those can be used if you go gripless. Pre-ban M-14 mags must be modified to use in the AR-10 so I wouldn't bubba something that limited in quantity.

gose
08-29-2006, 4:13 PM
Bill's correct. If you use an Armalite upper on your HAR-10 then you'll need to get an Armalite 10 round mag. Of course if you have any pre-ban M-14 mags or AR-10 mags those can be used if you go gripless. Pre-ban M-14 mags must be modified to use in the AR-10 so I wouldn't bubba something that limited in quantity.

Dunno how much you have to modify them, but if they no longer work in a M14 afterwards, you just committed a felony.

gidddy169
08-29-2006, 5:08 PM
They still work in the m14 after you modify them. Also if you have any Stoner 25 magazines they work in the Hesse lower.

C.G.
08-29-2006, 8:28 PM
Bill's correct. If you use an Armalite upper on your HAR-10 then you'll need to get an Armalite 10 round mag.

No, you don't, DPMS works fine, but it won't hold open after the last round.