PDA

View Full Version : Problem building my first rifle, please help

Yeemix
08-28-2006, 9:23 PM
Hello, I've been working on my rifle today, following the step by step instructions on AR15.com. I messed up in that the front pivot pin was pushed all the way through before I attached the upper. Being a super rookie, I didn't realize it until I finished the lower and tried to attach the upper. Is there a way to remove or slide the front pivot pin without damaging the spring?

Also, I don't see an easy way to break open the rifle to load from the top . How does this work? Thanks for any info.

TMC
08-28-2006, 9:28 PM
The front pin has detents at both ends of it travel so it won't move when the rifle is together and won't come out when you field strip.

You should be able to tap the pin and it should slide to the right side, if it doesn't you did something wrong.

As for loading, you pull the rear pin, and hinge the upper 90 deg. out of the way and load the mag.

WRENCHHEAD
08-28-2006, 9:29 PM
push the pin from left to right. the front and rear pivot pins are made to slide out of the way so you can take off the whole upper.

and when loading it you will only need to push the rear pivot pin out of the way, and use the front pin as a hinge.

TheMan
08-28-2006, 9:30 PM
Hello, I've been working on my rifle today, following the step by step instructions on AR15.com. I messed up in that the front pivot pin was pushed all the way through before I attached the upper. Being a super rookie, I didn't realize it until I finished the lower and tried to attach the upper. Is there a way to remove or slide the front pivot pin without damaging the spring?

Did you try pushing it back out? :confused:

When you first assemble them, sometimes that pin can be tough, but it does pop back out so that you can remove or reinstall the upper receiver.

Yeemix
08-28-2006, 9:41 PM
Jeeze, what a dumbass I am. I became paranoid after I sent a dent flying across the room earlier. I think I get it from here, thanks again!!!

AW-FANATIC
08-28-2006, 10:58 PM
I think most of us here have a flying detent story or two;)

oaklander
08-28-2006, 11:26 PM
Detents are attracted to carpet, for some reason.

I don't know why they don't put a couple extra ones in each kit!

I was lucky - I only had one flyer, and it didn't burrow too deep into the carpet.

Make sure you do a safety test when you are done - first MAKE SURE your gun is not loaded - then while pulling the trigger, pull the charging handle all the way back, and then let if forward *slowly* while still pressing the trigger.

When the charging handle is all the way forward, slowly let off the trigger - you should feel a *solid* click. The press the trigger again. The hammer should fall.

Do this at least five times.

If it fails this test - take it to a gunsmith - since it could fire accidently (e.g., "double") - or even fire out of battery.

There's probably some other tests too, but this is the most basic one that I know.

Do this every time you disassemble the gun.

MilSpec.45
08-29-2006, 12:00 AM
Also, I don't see an easy way to break open the rifle to load from the top . How does this work? Thanks for any info.

You can get an extended take down pin which will make it easier.

I haven't even built mine yet but I've done my homework. :p

redrover
08-29-2006, 12:35 AM
Some detents are attracted to carpet but mine seems to go for my eyeball. ouch! just becareful with those pesky springs.

leelaw
08-29-2006, 1:13 AM

No detent story here, but I did nearly take out my eye with the FAL recoil spring when I disassembled the buttstock..

<screw, screw>
SPROING! FWIP! PATANG!
"Wow, I'm an idiot"

Stupid, really stupid. :p

rorschach
08-29-2006, 2:30 AM
I launched 2 detents. I eventually splurged for a 5 dollar detent installation tool, and havent lost one since. I'm just thankful that Stag throws in an extra in their LPK's.

xrMike
08-29-2006, 8:50 AM
No detent story here, but I did nearly take out my eye with the FAL recoil spring when I disassembled the buttstock..

<screw, screw>
SPROING! FWIP! PATANG!
"Wow, I'm an idiot"

Stupid, really stupid. :pOne of my eyeballs had a close call during reassembly of my 1911. Was trying to slide in the firing pin stop and was holding down the pin with a metal punch. The punch slipped and the pin came shooting upward and caught me right in the corner of my left eye. Didn't puncture, but hurt like hell, and left a bright red spot of broken vessels that took a week to go away.

I always wear safety glasses when I do that part now.

xrMike
08-29-2006, 8:54 AM
Oh, and I recommend that "Oh Shoot" spare parts kit from 10%; it's only like $13 or something and has all kinds of extra springs and detents. Haven't needed it yet but I'm sure someday I will due to a parts "launching".

mltrading
08-29-2006, 3:28 PM
See this somewhere. It might help.

While installing spring/detents which are small and tend to "fly", get a big ziplock bag and put your work/your hands/tools inside the bag. Then seal the bag as much as possible. The chances of flying spring/detents will reduce a lot.

Personally I have tried once. It's a nice solution.:)

Paul1960
08-29-2006, 5:40 PM
What's the problem with detents?

After putting together a dozen or so rifles it get's easier. I do have an o-shoot box-full-o-parts to dig into when I lose something (no carpet in my work room). I have sent more than my fair share of detents into detent heaven.

chiefcrash
08-29-2006, 7:29 PM

a buffer detent pin to the face is not fun...

Yeemix
08-29-2006, 7:53 PM
Make sure you do a safety test when you are done - first MAKE SURE your gun is not loaded - then while pulling the trigger, pull the charging handle all the way back, and then let if forward *slowly* while still pressing the trigger.

When the charging handle is all the way forward, slowly let off the trigger - you should feel a *solid* click. The press the trigger again. The hammer should fall.

Do this at least five times.

If it fails this test - take it to a gunsmith - since it could fire accidently (e.g., "double") - or even fire out of battery.

There's probably some other tests too, but this is the most basic one that I know.

Do this every time you disassemble the gun.

I had a question about this. I tried pulling the handle back, and when I place the selector in safe, the hammer does not fall. But, when I place the selector on fire and pull the trigger, nothing happens. The hammer doesn't fall or anything. I noticed when I released the bolt catcher, it releases. Did I mess up assembling the lower?

Fjold
08-29-2006, 8:31 PM
I had a question about this. I tried pulling the handle back, and when I place the selector in safe, the hammer does not fall. But, when I place the selector on fire and pull the trigger, nothing happens. The hammer doesn't fall or anything. I noticed when I released the bolt catcher, it releases. Did I mess up assembling the lower?

No, First pull the operating handle back which pulls the bolt back and cocks the hammer, then you push the bolt release and let the bolt go forward. Then when you pull the trigger the hammer should go forward.

Pull the operating handle back again and hit the bolt release. Now put the safety on and squeeze the trigger, check that the hammer doesn't fall.

Take the safety off and make sure that the hammer doesn't fall then either (without squeezing the trigger).

Now squeeze the trigger and the hammer should fall.

oaklander
08-29-2006, 11:49 PM
You might want to have someone who is familiar with ARs look at your gun.

I haven't seen it, so I can't really tell what's wrong (plus, I'm not a gunsmith).

One thing, though, is to make sure that you understand how it works (i.e., what the hammer does, what the sear does, how the bolt works, the gas system, etc.).

There's some good stuff at AR15.com on this.

Wish I could help more. The only other advice I could offer would be to take a look at the exploded diagrams at AR15.com and make sure that you have all the parts, and they are together JLP ("just like the picture").

Don't worry, it gets easier with your second (and third, etc.) rifle.

Just remember to please be safe, and if you have any doubts, let a gunsmith take a look at it.

ivanimal
08-30-2006, 12:44 AM
If you really need to you can make a detent. AMHIK:mad:

megavolt121
08-30-2006, 1:24 AM
Read this thread on some suggestions to remove the front pivot pin.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=38336&highlight=pivot

You can make that tool on your own with a file and allen wrench. I used the razor blade trick, but HIGHLY suggest wearing safety glasses when you do this incase the razor snaps, or a spring flies.

Yeemix
08-30-2006, 1:47 PM
No, First pull the operating handle back which pulls the bolt back and cocks the hammer, then you push the bolt release and let the bolt go forward. Then when you pull the trigger the hammer should go forward.

Pull the operating handle back again and hit the bolt release. Now put the safety on and squeeze the trigger, check that the hammer doesn't fall.

Take the safety off and make sure that the hammer doesn't fall then either (without squeezing the trigger).

Now squeeze the trigger and the hammer should fall.

I followed these steps, and it went smooth. I might have misunderstood the instructions earlier. Anyone in Sacramento want to take a look at my AR as a final safety check? I'll provide the beers! :D

TKM
09-05-2006, 8:26 PM
If you have a punch kit, see if they fit the holes. If they do, go ahead and drill a detent sized hole in it/them. Dremel a flat spot on the side.

Instant installation tool.

Nick5811
09-06-2006, 3:58 AM
"Function check begins on semi"

(after making sure your weapon is clear)

(1) Place selector lever on SEMI. Pull trigger (you should hear a 'click'); Hammer should fall. Hold trigger to the rear while pulling charging handle to the rear and release. (You should hear a 'clunk'). Release trigger and pull to the rear again. Hammer should fall. (you should hear a 'click'). Pull charging handle to the rear. Place selector lever on SAFE.

(First half of the function check conducted on my M-16 service rifle...)

fairfaxjim
09-06-2006, 8:16 AM
Poor Man's Pivot Pin Detent Tool - 1/4 piece of wood dowel or a pencil sanded down to fit into the hole, drill a hole slightly larger than the detent near the end of the dowel/pencil. Works just like a "real" detent tool.

Haven't launched any pins since.