PDA

View Full Version : Dirty gun dealers, should they charge sales tax on hunting licenses?

tenpercentfirearms
08-28-2006, 7:58 PM
I finally got my hunting licenses in and am selling them. It just donned on me after having a handfull of customers, I don't think licenses and tags are tangible goods or property and are state fees, so I don't think I should be charging sales tax. I just looked all over for an answer. Can anyone confirm this for me so I don't have to call the BOE or DFG tomorrow? I would like to fix it and refund my customers ASAP. Thanks for keeping a dealer honest.

Stanze
08-28-2006, 8:27 PM
Try calling another place that also sells hunting licenses and ask them.:D

Matt C
08-28-2006, 8:29 PM
The hunting license IS a tax. How can they tax a tax?!?!? That said, I would not put it past them. (CA Gov.)

C.G.
08-28-2006, 8:37 PM
I could be wrong, but the way I understand it is if you buy from Fish and Game it is not taxable; if you buy from a vendor then it is taxable.
Similar situation, if you buy a newspaper from a machine, no tax; from a store, the newspaper is taxed.

tenpercentfirearms
08-28-2006, 8:50 PM
I could be wrong, but the way I understand it is if you buy from Fish and Game it is not taxable; if you buy from a vendor then it is taxable.
Similar situation, if you buy a newspaper from a machine, no tax; from a store, the newspaper is taxed.
Damn, that is not the answer I wanted to hear. I thought this was going to be an easy one. Mother Fing state of CA. Nothing can be simple. :mad:

Hunter
08-28-2006, 10:27 PM

If you buy them directly from F&G they deduct the handling charge (5% fee) from the value the vendor shows. That added amount (handling charge) is what goes to the vendors for selling on their end since it is basically a consigment sell for the F&G Department. Other than that handling charge, no tax is collected by the vendor.

So 10%, you can charge the full amount that is shown on your vendor sale poster, but no tax is collected.

jtyoshi
08-28-2006, 11:06 PM
Turners isnt charging sales tax. 35 out the door. I'll check the recpiet when I get back into town.