PDA

View Full Version : C&R application question(s)

FluorideInMyWater
08-28-2006, 6:06 PM
ok, filling out my FFL03 form.......1 or 2 questions

Section 9 - (position and SS#) if i'm just an individual do i just put in my SS and that's it or do i have to put in something like "indivudual"?

sections 14 - chief law enforcemtn officer - i'm in LA county....anyone know who that would be and where i would mail the other copy to? i sent an email to the LAPD asking this question but they have not answered me..

TIA!!

PJA
08-28-2006, 6:57 PM
Question #1--I put "Collector".
Question #2-- If you are situated in the county (rather than a specific city), your CLO is the County Sheriff. You can get his name and address of the county's web site.
Pete

Santa Cruz Armory
08-28-2006, 7:06 PM
Yea, what he said :D

finfan
08-28-2006, 7:18 PM
Additionally, if your city has it's own police force (Torrance, Inglewood etc...)
you would use their CLO & HQ address.

bluebaron
08-28-2006, 9:39 PM
I put owner. Hope that's okay.

PJA
08-29-2006, 12:22 AM
I am sure it will be,
Pete

TonyM
08-29-2006, 7:04 AM
Yeah, it'll be fine.

As I recall I put "Individual", no problems.

Depending on where you live, you might want to send the application copy to the Sheriff. The form says the CLEO or Sheriff. I chose the Sheriff where I live because I know they get alot of these. Now, my local Police Chief probably hasn't seen one of these, he's new to the job. I figured my chances of a "courtesy call" from the local PD would go up if I sent it to them, and I personally don't want my neighbors seeing police cars in front of my house.

;) :D

bluebaron
08-29-2006, 1:18 PM
Yeah, I did the same thing for the same reason :)

chiefcrash
08-29-2006, 1:57 PM
Yeah, it'll be fine.

As I recall I put "Individual", no problems.

Depending on where you live, you might want to send the application copy to the Sheriff. The form says the CLEO or Sheriff. I chose the Sheriff where I live because I know they get alot of these. Now, my local Police Chief probably hasn't seen one of these, he's new to the job. I figured my chances of a "courtesy call" from the local PD would go up if I sent it to them, and I personally don't want my neighbors seeing police cars in front of my house.

;) :D

i live in unincorporated san leandro, so i had to send it to the sheriff. i get a call about a month later from some guy wondering what this strange green form in front of him was...

i spent the next hour or so explaining what a C&R license is and what you can do with it. now HE'S tempted to get one...

FluorideInMyWater
08-29-2006, 6:13 PM
hey guys,
i'm in Van Nuys, CA....in the SFV. i don't recall what the police cars have stenciled on the side....i think LAPD....
so should i use VAN NUYs as the CLO or LA county?

........did a search, van nuys seems to fall under LAPD, but im not 100% sure.....
anybody? bueler? bueler? :-)

Fate
08-29-2006, 9:13 PM
hey guys,
i'm in Van Nuys, CA....in the SFV. i don't recall what the police cars have stenciled on the side....i think LAPD....
so should i use VAN NUYs as the CLO or LA county?

........did a search, van nuys seems to fall under LAPD, but im not 100% sure.....
anybody? bueler? bueler? :-)
Send it to Sheriff Baca.

FluorideInMyWater
08-30-2006, 4:38 AM
i'm assuming (big assumption) that sheriff baca will know what to do with it (?!?!?) i thought baca was LAPD.............shows how much i know about my local law enforment agency :)

chiefcrash
08-30-2006, 6:20 AM
i'm assuming (big assumption) that sheriff baca will know what to do with it (?!?!?) i thought baca was LAPD.............shows how much i know about my local law enforment agency :)

the CLEO doesn't have to do anything. the theory is the ATF wants you to send a copy to your local law enforcment, so if they had some reason not to give you a licence (something that wouldn't show up on a background check yet, or like you're under investigation for something but not charged yet), the CLEO can call the ATF and tell them about it. Other than that, all the CLEO copy does is confuse the CLEO

FluorideInMyWater
08-30-2006, 5:35 PM
the sherrif says contact the LAPD local van nuys dept. the local van nuys departement has never heard of the FFL03, they say call LAPD. LAPD hasn't heard of it...they give me the number of a detective who is out on sick leave..........

how is it that none of them knows????

anyone?? bueller? bueller? :rolleyes:

grammaton76
08-30-2006, 6:15 PM
the sherrif says contact the LAPD local van nuys dept. the local van nuys departement has never heard of the FFL03, they say call LAPD. LAPD hasn't heard of it...they give me the number of a detective who is out on sick leave..........

anyone?? bueller? bueller? :rolleyes:

This is why you don't ask them explicitly about the FFL03 - you only ask them who the Chief Law Enforcement Officer in the area is. I personally determined what precinct my residence is located in, then looked up the CLEO's name online and gave them that information. Three months later, I had my C&R license.

just4fun63
08-30-2006, 6:53 PM
I looked up the address for the CLEO in my area and dropped it in the mail with a letter stating;

I am sending this to you to comply with Fed Regulations. Although no further action on your part is necessary if you have any questions please call........

On the back of the form somewhere in all the small print it also says that no further action is necessary.

But don't keep asking it will just turn the radar for no reason :cool:

finfan
08-30-2006, 8:19 PM
Hey Flouride,
I'm in San Pedro (which is LAPD), I addressed mine to Chief Bratton
at the Parker Center Station. The address is on LAPD website. Got
my C&R with no problems. Just send it there and forget about it.
Hopefully your wait will be short!:)

an edit: Van Nuys is LAPD, but send it downtown, not your local station.

FluorideInMyWater
08-30-2006, 8:29 PM
i'll do that....seems like the best place!

thanks again all!!!

Mssr. Eleganté
08-30-2006, 8:37 PM
Wikipedia says Van Nuys is actually part of the city of Los Angeles, even though everybody calls it the "city" of Van Nuys. I'm not sure how that works, but it must be part of that whole scheme where LA annexed most of the San Fernando Valley in 1915 in order to be able to use the water from the new acquaduct on the farms there. By law the water could only be used in the actual city of Los Angeles, so they made the valley an incorporated part of the city.

As the others have suggested, it is only your duty to mail a copy of your application to your CLEO. You do not have to make sure he gets it. You do not have to make sure he understands what it is.

LAPD could very well contact you and tell you that you can't have an FFL without getting the proper permits. You can just ignore them.

LAPD might ask you to come down to the station to discuss the application. Again, you can just ignore them.

Your only obligation is to mail a copy of the application to them. If they have a problem with it, that's between them and ATF. They will need to prove to ATF that you are not allowed to own firearms for some reason.

But LAPD will most likely just toss your application into the trash or file it away in a gigantic filing cabinet, never to see the light of day again. No matter what LAPD does with your letter, if you are allowed to own firearms ATF will issue you a C&R FFL.

CTT2
08-31-2006, 1:57 AM
ATF just charged my card. How long will it take for me to get my license?

PJA
08-31-2006, 2:37 AM
Part of your cover letter to the CLO should include the phrase "no action is required on your part".
Pete

chiefcrash
08-31-2006, 6:59 AM
ATF just charged my card. How long will it take for me to get my license?

anywhere from 2 weeks to 90 days

-hanko
08-31-2006, 6:42 PM

How none of them know doesn't matter. The answer is simple...if you need a cop and call 911, which dept responds to your residence. Mail it there. I'd suggest NOT sending a cover letter. Your only obligation is to mail the CLEO copy to him/her. That's it. Giving more information to the police than they require is generally not advisable.;)

-hanko

FluorideInMyWater
08-31-2006, 10:02 PM
Part of your cover letter to the CLO should include the phrase "no action is required on your part".
Pete

i needed a cover-letter?? i just put the thing in the mail and addressed it to Bratton and sent it off............HHHMMMMM UGGGG ........HAHA, EH, OH.......hmm.............

edit - 0h, yeah TMI is always a bad thing.......
I sent in a check...now i'm regretting it b/c i had to put my SS# on it.....but is that any worse than giving the ATF your credit card?!?! they probably have access to it anyways i bet....being DOJ and all. i guess the only persons who see the check are the DOJ, and my bank.....so i guess everyone already has access to screw me if they wanted to........6 of 1, 1/2 dozen of another...........PFFF. hehe

edit - can you apply for a different SS#? just a question.....non-relevant, but semi-relevant, but very-relevant.

finfan
09-01-2006, 5:19 PM
i needed a cover-letter?? i just put the thing in the mail and addressed it to Bratton and sent it off............HHHMMMMM UGGGG ........HAHA, EH, OH.......hmm.............

edit - 0h, yeah TMI is always a bad thing.......
I sent in a check...now i'm regretting it b/c i had to put my SS# on it.....but is that any worse than giving the ATF your credit card?!?! they probably have access to it anyways i bet....being DOJ and all. i guess the only persons who see the check are the DOJ, and my bank.....so i guess everyone already has access to screw me if they wanted to........6 of 1, 1/2 dozen of another...........PFFF. hehe

edit - can you apply for a different SS#? just a question.....non-relevant, but semi-relevant, but very-relevant.

On the first point- No, it's not "needed" many choose to include it
though. I know from this site that there are alot of C&Rs in LA & greater LA
area! These forms are not alien to law enforcement agencies here.
They won't call, bother or harass you in anyway.
On the second point- Personal privacy is a huge concern. But, in applying
for the license you do potentially give up a small degree of privacy for
the privalages their "granting you". If they receive and cash your check
no worries, if it never gets to them (intercepted in the mail) that's
cause for serious concern! Bottom line -I wouldn't sweat it. If your
concerned the ATF is out to "screw you" ...I'm not sure what to say
on that one:confused:
On the 3rd- I don't know :confused: I think you have to be in the
Federal witness protection program for that ???:confused:
Anyway, just my humble opinion. Hope it helps

FluorideInMyWater
09-01-2006, 10:24 PM
:eek: just a case of healty paranoida...
no i don't think the ATF is out to @#$% me but i have had friends who's identities have been stolen......if you cange your SS# then you have a new identitiy..............kind-of, i think, well, maybe not, but at least someone can't open a credit card in you name!!!:) :D :eek:

FLUORIDE OUT