PDA

View Full Version : NM Sights for MI Garand

kurac
08-28-2006, 8:54 AM
I want to put some National match sights on my MI, the front sight replacement is strait forward but I had some concerns about the rear sight. Can I get away with just replacing the rear aperature or do I need a new base and adjustment knobs as well?

30Cal
08-28-2006, 10:22 AM
The elevation knob is the same between the regular and the NM sight. You'll need a NM knob, base and hooded aperature.

Ty

kurac
08-28-2006, 10:31 AM
Where would be the best place to find those?

30Cal
08-28-2006, 12:31 PM
The hooded aperature will fit into either assembly. The NM knob and base have a finer pitch thread to them on the windage knob side.

Original USGI NM rear sight parts are scarce and spendy. I don't know of anyone that stocks them. The knob isn't too hard to locate, but the sight base... good luck. Try Armscorp.

Fulton stocks reproduction NM rear sights that are well made and work just fine, but they charge USGI prices for them.

You'll most likely have to file and lap the aperature to fit into the base.

Ty

RHT447
08-28-2006, 1:34 PM
To add a bit more detail:

As 30cal said, the windage threads on NM sights are a finer pitch, making the clicks worth 1/2 MOA instead of the issue 1 MOA (minute of angle).

The standard elevation is also 1 MOA. The NM aperature hood rotates 180 degrees and has an eccentric that splits the adjustment by 1/2 MOA. There is a small notch on the rear to tell wether you went up or down 1/2. There are two aperature sizes to choose from, .052 and .0595.

When your searching, keep in mind that the same sight parts also fit the M-14--M1A.

kurac
08-28-2006, 8:20 PM
I don't care to have a NM base or windage adjustments, All I want is a NM front sight and then a NM rear sight apperature and I went to install it on the current USGI sight base with USGA windage and elevation adjustment knobs, is this possible?

RHT447
08-29-2006, 7:00 AM
Yes, it is possible. The NM aperature will work with the GI base. Be aware that the fit may not be an exact match. Some fitting work may be needed if the aperature is too loose or too tight. Plenty of info available on how to do this.

kurac
08-29-2006, 7:25 AM
Thanks, that all I needed to know

ccampbell
09-14-2006, 6:31 AM
The cheapest I have seen for a new NM hooded peep sight is $30 and creedmoor

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/store/product.php?productid=16375&cat=0&page=1

Fulton Armory has them for about $40 I think.

Chris