PDA

View Full Version : Newb from So Cal - Thousand Oaks

Fuel&Fire
01-28-2011, 12:04 PM
Just joined up, was referred by some friends over at Teamspeed.com

Going to be purchasing my first Hand Gun in the next few weeks. Wifey wants to get me one for my Birthday... Going with a Semi-Auto. Figured I would do some homework/research and thats what led me here. So far I'm leaning towards a 9mm - either Glock 19, or Springfield XD. But the research continues!

Any recommendations/advice on a Shop, Gun, etc will be greatly appreciated!

celticstorm
01-28-2011, 12:14 PM
For what it's worth I love my knew Smith & Wesson M & P 9mm. Now I am going to buy the compact version.

Big E
01-28-2011, 12:40 PM
Welcome to the site. You'll get lots of advise on this site. Let me be the first to say, go to the range and rent a bunch of different ones to see which ones you like best (or don't like).

Fuel&Fire
01-28-2011, 1:03 PM
Yea I def. will be renting a few (hopefully they will have a few to choose from) to see what feels right. I also want something that the Mrs. can use as well, that is until she gets the bug and wants one of her own... BTW trying to stick to around $500

Any recommendations on ranges to go the area? I'm located in the Thousand Oaks area - 91362 zip

SoCal Bob
01-28-2011, 4:37 PM
Welcome to Calguns.

bsg
01-28-2011, 9:36 PM
welcome to the forum.

bjl333
01-28-2011, 10:57 PM
Welcome to Calguns !!!

den888
01-29-2011, 7:46 AM
Welcome!

CSACANNONEER
01-29-2011, 8:04 AM
As far as shops go, Turner's in Reseda is barely acceptable, I would advise against stepping one foot into the shop in Simi with a poor excuse for a cannon in front of it, Fort Courage in Simi is honest, fair and up to date on all laws, if you go over the hill, there are some decent shops from Camarillo to Ventura too.

Fuel&Fire
01-31-2011, 8:27 AM
Thanks for the Welcome's Guys... Took the wife to the Range this last weekend (The Academy in Palm Desert) had a blast, what a Great Range! I was recommended to check out the Gun Gallery in Glendale by a few friends... Also might go check out Shooters Paradise in Oxnard, as its the closest range to my house (since they shut down agoura!!!!)

DeanW66
01-31-2011, 9:40 AM
Welcome aboard!

dellgsg5
01-31-2011, 9:42 AM
Welcome to Calguns!

LuluSS
01-31-2011, 12:10 PM
Welcome!

I live in Camarillo so pretty close to you.

Ranges I go to are the Piru Rifle Range (about 45 minutes away). It is $15 a person but that includes one paper target on he rifle range at 100 yards. It also has a pistol range with paper targets and steel to shoot at. The pro of this range is that you can shoot your own ammo too.

Shooters Paradise is alright. The people there kinda bug me and it is expensive. $12/person to shoot, and you have to use their own ammo...which is $20 per 50 rounds of reloads.

There is also the "Glass Factory" in Santa Barbara. It is a public range so its free to shoot their. We also get together a few times a year to do a clean and shoot there. It is about an hour away.

Shops I recommend are Calguns (for cheap used guns), Camarillo Shooters Supply (great prices), and Uncle Pauls in Ventura.

Fuel&Fire
01-31-2011, 2:55 PM
Thanks LuluSS thats what I was looking for... I'll check out all the places you mentioned. $20 for 50 rounds is expensive!! I just paid $20 for 100 rounds at "The Academy" in Palm Desert...

CSACANNONEER
01-31-2011, 3:04 PM
Thanks LuluSS thats what I was looking for... I'll check out all the places you mentioned. $20 for 50 rounds is expensive!! I just paid $20 for 100 rounds at "The Academy" in Palm Desert...

The $20/box ammo is "green" ammo. It's more expensive in the first place. Then, there is the fact that it's their range and ammo at ranges in normally a bit higher priced. Piru is nice but, your about the same distance to Angeles which has more facilities and lots of steel. Of course, you're also only about 45 minutes from Oak Tree which has a cool pistol shooting gallery, private pistol bays, trap, skeet and sporting clays.

Fuel&Fire
01-31-2011, 3:27 PM
^ Will def. be visiting Oak Tree... I see they have a wide selection of rentals - so I want to go shoot a few before I purchase.

luciferkang
01-31-2011, 7:36 PM
welcome to calguns, im from ventura county as well. i suggest you wait for uncle paul to re-open in ventura. they have the best prices in ventura county. if you can't wait you should just purchase a used one from a fellow calgunner. i have an xd40, i love it. it's my first pistol though so im more use to it.

Fuel&Fire
02-01-2011, 9:59 AM
^ Do you know when they plan on re-opening? I would like to buy something in the next few weeks or so...

LuluSS
02-01-2011, 10:01 AM
Yeah, it is more expensive in the first place....but why pay $20 for 50 rounds of "green" ammo when you can go other places and pay less for non green ammo :D

Wow, I haven't even heard of Oak Tree. I am definitely going to try and go out there sometime too! And one of these days.....I will make it out to Angeles. But I just hate the traffic in LA. 45 minutes can easily turn into 1 1/2 hour drive in LA.

The $20/box ammo is "green" ammo. It's more expensive in the first place. Then, there is the fact that it's their range and ammo at ranges in normally a bit higher priced. Piru is nice but, your about the same distance to Angeles which has more facilities and lots of steel. Of course, you're also only about 45 minutes from Oak Tree which has a cool pistol shooting gallery, private pistol bays, trap, skeet and sporting clays.

LuluSS
02-01-2011, 10:04 AM
^ Do you know when they plan on re-opening? I would like to buy something in the next few weeks or so...

They were supposed to open a while ago but they keep putting it off. Now their website says the middle of February. I hope they open soon because I need to get another rifle ASAP and they have the best selection in black rifles in VTA county.

Fuel&Fire
02-01-2011, 1:38 PM
^ Thanks for the info... I'll keep an eye on their website for the opening. As of right now looks like most of the shops I've been referred to are in Burbank/Glendale area. Since I'm going up to Oaktree soon, I'll see what they can do in regards to pricing as well...

LuluSS
02-01-2011, 2:33 PM
Good luck!
Also check out Camarillo Shooter Supply. It is a lot closer and their prices are comparable to Uncle Paul's.

^ Thanks for the info... I'll keep an eye on their website for the opening. As of right now looks like most of the shops I've been referred to are in Burbank/Glendale area. Since I'm going up to Oaktree soon, I'll see what they can do in regards to pricing as well...

zod
02-01-2011, 6:16 PM
Welcome aboard. Can't go wrong with any of your choices. I'd probably rent each of them out and do a side by side comparison. Then pick whatever you shoot best. Good luck!

BayAreaShooter
02-01-2011, 7:11 PM
Welcome to the forum.

luciferkang
02-09-2011, 10:08 PM

i talked to one of the guys the other week, i think his name is eric. he said they are trying to open by this month.

LuluSS
02-10-2011, 8:30 PM
Yea I def. will be renting a few (hopefully they will have a few to choose from) to see what feels right. I also want something that the Mrs. can use as well, that is until she gets the bug and wants one of her own... BTW trying to stick to around $500

Any recommendations on ranges to go the area? I'm located in the Thousand Oaks area - 91362 zip

I got a new Ruger SR9c for $500 out the door. I LOVE it. In fact, I am probably going to get the SR40 next!