PDA

View Full Version : Anyone shopping for a new Remington 870 Express?

Mesa Tactical
08-28-2006, 9:29 AM
On sale at Turners for $250 after rebate:

http://www.turners.com/siteimages/fall2006/page26.gif

That's the best price I have seen on a new 870. Almost down in Mossberg territory.

guimus
08-28-2006, 3:05 PM
that's not a bad price on the 700vls, either

milsurplover
08-28-2006, 9:07 PM
Does Wal-Mart sell rifles in CA? Here in AZ the Rem 870 Express is ALWAYS $238.00. I suppose if you got the rebate that would be even better?

But I don't know what the deal is in the state of KA.

TonyNorCal
08-28-2006, 9:21 PM
WalMart used to sell rifles in California. However, the DOJ busted them for releasing rifles to people who failed the NCIS check and a large number of paperwork violations. WalMart paid a large fine and stopped selling. My understanding is they have the option to sell again, but maybe have just decided that their employees are too at risk for repeat errors.

chickenfried
08-28-2006, 9:22 PM
Big 5 has them For $239.99 about every three weeks. Last weeks Big 5 sunday ad had them advertised.

Mudvayne540ld
08-28-2006, 10:20 PM
really?
when they go on sale at the Big 5 here in Corona, they are olny $289
(That is the Remington 870 Express synthetic w/18'' bbl)
I dont like the 26'' bbl

metalhead357
08-28-2006, 11:52 PM
I dont like the 26'' bbl

For GP and home defense I'd say +1, but I tell ya' what....if you hunt, you'll LOVE the 26" better....the turkeys, Ducks, Doves, geese, and even trap will hate ya' for the choice;)

I had one of those truly miraculous events about 10 years ago... went into a pawn shop on a complete whim/fluke, saw a 870 express on the shelf with a price tag for only $100:eek: Asked the guy how long it'd been there- said about 6 months after the owner forfeited the and didn't return the pawn-money...so about 9 months. Twuz dirty and *looked* worn on the bolt as there was a mildish wipe away of the finish, bore looked....... DIR- TAY! Said WTH, bought it anyway, took her home and after wiping the gun down realized the worn streak wasn't worn at all...just some cruded up anti-sieze gray compound. Bore wiped with ONE swipe up and down a couple of times and JEEEZ it looked new:D

Speeding up the tale about a year, out at a club with friends and get intro'd to another guy through my hunting bud...we start talking guns...find out he'd had a fire in his house that dang near wiped him out, virtually no insurance ...had to pawn a couple items and was really mad about how he'd JUST bought a express, hadn't fired it, sat in the closet for about 3 weeks and then the fire...had to pawn it (and about 4 more weapons) to help offset all he'd lost.

Can I say small world? He had his original paperwork (no, not that night, I got the serial through E-mail...) and sure as spit...was the same one!

BEST dang shotgun I've owned or own;)

And no, he wasnt tooooooooo upset & glad it went to a fellow gun nutt!

I've had the Mossbergs and 'like' them...but I'd tell anyone to pick up an express!!!!!!

Mesa Tactical
08-29-2006, 7:09 AM
Big 5 has them For $239.99 about every three weeks. Last weeks Big 5 sunday ad had them advertised.

You are thinking of the Mossbergs, I believe. It's rare to see new 870s of any kind for less than $250 in California.

Big 5 has Mossbergs on sale all the time, sometimes with one barrel for $210 or so, and with two barrels for about the price you mentioned.

chickenfried
08-29-2006, 5:48 PM
Okay, found last week's big five ad in my recycling bin. Now I'm confused, in the turner's ad all the 870's are $250 even the 28" with the hardwood stock. Thats the one that Big 5 has on sale, regularly for $239.99. The same ad also has the synthetic with 3 1/2 chamber for $299.99. So I guess if you want the synthetic go to Turner's if you want the wood go to big 5.

ziege
08-29-2006, 6:00 PM
From what I've seen the wood on the Big5 gun is inferior.

Or maybe it was just my imagination, but checked both on the same day and there was no question the Turners gun looked better.

ETD1010
08-30-2006, 12:09 AM
The 870 is a wonderful gun. I love mine. I got the super magnum at Wal-Mart before their falling out. .. $299 for it... They used to have the regular 870 for a good price, but I forget. I've heard rumors of SOME Wal-Marts selling guns, but I've not seen one lately.

But i agree on the Big 5 sales. They usually come around at least 1x/month. I'll always be a remington fan, but the Big 5 sales of the Mossberg 500s are pretty good, too.

Boomer1961
09-01-2006, 7:17 PM
From what I've seen the wood on the Big5 gun is inferior.

Or maybe it was just my imagination, but checked both on the same day and there was no question the Turners gun looked better.

What kind of 870? The low end "Express" uses inferior wood, and has things like a carbon steel extractor instead of stainless in the better models (express, police) which is also a desirable feature as I left my 870 in the truck for a few months and must have missed the drop of oil on the extractor during cleaning as it must have gotten damp and it rust bloomed on me causing it to get sticky in the bolt and fail to extract. It cleaned up real easy with a little buffing but took like an hour to get the gun all apart.

Anyways I digress, just wanted to point out that all that different pricing on the 870's may not be comparable due to the finish/stock/steel type used/ etc. and not just if its 3" versus 3.5".

Even on the lowly express I have seen on some that a better part or finish was used so I think they just build those with whatever is cheapest/parts on hand.

TAKE CARE EVERYONE!

chickenfried
09-01-2006, 7:19 PM
I don't think there are different grades of the express.

metalhead357
09-01-2006, 8:22 PM
Nor is/was Boomer's problem with the extractor....problem discovered and the cause of it, stopped and all is well. FWIW~ my understanding of metallurgy would wanna say a NON- stainless extractor would actually provide longer life as its less likely to snap/break in a high use postition.... YMMV:D