PDA

View Full Version : Giggin' Frogs in Norcal

anotherone
08-28-2006, 12:33 AM
Just got back from the mountains where I was giggin' frogs with a buddy up near Northfork. OMG the frogs up there were huge, some of the legs from the larger bullfrogs looked like little chickens when we cooked them :eek: !!! However, I'm not getting up there quite as often as I used to and would like to know if anyone here knows of any good spots in the Sacramento/Placer/Yolo county region to gig frogs.

For those of you reading this who don't know what giggin' frogs means, it's basically hunting for frogs. You use a flashlight to put them in a trance, then you spear them with a frog gig (which resembles a trident on a broomstick), cut off their legs, and throw 'em in the bag. Then you use pliers to pull of their skin and fry 'em up. They're good, you should try them some time!

P.S. Frogs don't taste like chicken, they taste like frogs :p

moulton
08-28-2006, 7:53 AM
reminds me of mythbusters:D :rolleyes:

BigMac
08-28-2006, 8:20 AM
Frogs are yummy.

I found a place with lots of frogs where I hunt. Well on the place next door. I have to ask the owner if I can take some.

anotherone
08-28-2006, 10:46 PM
Inspired by all the AR-15 madness that's been going around lately I built a tactical frog gig. Using a telescoping painting pole and some blue locktite I assembled a telescoping gig. Next I spray-painted it camo. OOOOooo :)!

TKo_Productions
08-28-2006, 11:11 PM
...Using a telescoping painting pole...

dude, you can't configure your gig with a telescoping pole. you just manufactured an assault-gig. you need to fix the pole or face felony charges.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

i'd remove your incriminating statement from the interweb immediately!

btw, i think tenpercent sells frog gig pole locks.

MrTuffPaws
08-28-2006, 11:14 PM
We used to hunt them with 22lrs he he he. Mother used to cook up some really nice legs.

Up in Tehama and Butte counties you could get some really nice frogs. I honestly don't know where you would go for frogs in Sac county.

anotherone
08-31-2006, 1:54 AM
Finally found a spot in Sacramento County to go giggin' frogs... two of them actually. If anyone here wants to go giggin' in NorCal just PM me. Unfortunately a river otter came along and killed my game tonight... I only ended up with two frogs :mad: !

BigMac
08-31-2006, 7:05 AM
River otter make fine hats and gloves ;)

You do have a fishing license..yes.

chickenfried
08-31-2006, 8:07 AM
I'm chinese, so I eat a lot of weird stuff. But frog is one of the few items that has always turned me off (one of two I could think of). I won't even touch rice that's been cooked underneath frog.

BigMac
08-31-2006, 9:31 AM
My step mother is a pilipina.,.. she takes great pleasure in trying to gross me out with food..

I only get grossed out by the embrio stuff three day old fried chicks and such..

Frogs are yummy and I'll take your share ;)

Japsican
08-31-2006, 9:54 PM
Eat Frogs???:confused: Noooo Thank You:( Bleh...Nasty Slimy lil buggers...

kilword
08-31-2006, 11:11 PM
stop lickin them toads

JS-M1A
08-31-2006, 11:39 PM
Some of the canals outside Lodi is where I go.
I like my frog marinated in hot wings sauce
over night and bbq`ed over mesquite.
Frog the other other white meat.

wuhungsix
09-01-2006, 12:53 AM
I'm chinese, so I eat a lot of weird stuff. But frog is one of the few items that has always turned me off (one of two I could think of). I won't even touch rice that's been cooked underneath frog.

I'm ABC, and have tried frog once in soup at a friends house. It sure was yummy, but it seems like a waste, since all you can really eat is the legs. I feel that way about crawdads too. I like game that has large flesh yield. I don't get to try too much exotic foods so I jump at the opertunity when it comes up. I always wanted to have an exotic potluck but my buddies would never buy into it. I have never tasted meat that I did not like.:o

anotherone
09-01-2006, 3:16 AM
Some of the canals outside Lodi is where I go.
I like my frog marinated in hot wings sauce
over night and bbq`ed over mesquite.
Frog the other other white meat.

Let's go giggin'! Send me a PM sometime, right now I'm mostly going alone locally. I have a buddy up in Mariposa county I go giggin' frogs with up there but I don't know anyone who gigs the critters locally.

BigMac
09-01-2006, 7:54 AM
Actually, frogs have a nice set of back muscles. Those front legs make nice tooth picks ;)

JS-M1A
09-01-2006, 4:44 PM
Let's go giggin'! Send me a PM sometime, right now I'm mostly going alone locally. I have a buddy up in Mariposa county I go giggin' frogs with up there but I don't know anyone who gigs the critters locally.
I`d like to go but I`ve been on crutches since I blew my knee
out a couple months ago.

anotherone
09-05-2006, 3:22 AM
I`d like to go but I`ve been on crutches since I blew my knee
out a couple months ago.

Sorry to hear that. I was seriously injured this summer in a boating accident, I'm glad to be back on my feet. I hope you get better soon!

I actually just got back from going to this awsome pond tonight. I am NOT kidding but the bullfrogs there must have been as big as my wife's dog :eek:!!! I giged one of them and it actually dragged me into the pond and I had to cut his legs off while he was still on the gig. Darn near lost my best frog gig tonight!

wildpighunter65
05-22-2010, 7:30 AM
sounds like a frog story but i would love to find a place like that new owner bought my spot and put a fence up

Spyder
05-22-2010, 6:58 PM
If anyone wants to go around Chico/Orland/Yuba area, and has a spot, pm me! I'll bring beer and a couple of gigs!

Carsgunsandchics
05-22-2010, 8:44 PM
Up in Knights Landing where we used to catfish overnight there were lot's of people gigging frogs. They'd fill a few bags each. It's been twenty or so years though.

shoupdawg
05-23-2010, 7:47 AM
Anyone know of places down in Southern California? Please pm me.

echo1
05-23-2010, 8:46 AM
Up in Knights Landing where we used to catfish overnight there were lot's of people gigging frogs. They'd fill a few bags each. It's been twenty or so years though.

Ditto

Fireguy
05-24-2010, 12:17 AM
I haven't heard of anyone frog gigging in ages. In the 60's frog legs were a big deal in high price French restaurants. There used to be a all you can eat Chinese restaurant in San Ramon that served frogbut they weren't as good as Grandma's.

Once I get my knee replaced this summer I'd like to try froging.

Black Majik
05-24-2010, 10:56 AM

LOL yup.

Pork blood soup? No problem

Chicken feet? Sure

Frog? :willy_nilly:

stickle
05-24-2010, 10:23 PM
I grew up in Florida. My uncle had a tropical fish farm with 200 small ponds dug into a cow pasture. He ended up making more money gigging frogs and selling the legs at 3.75 a pound, and they could fill a washtub a night. Had to be sure the eyes lit up by the lights were a frog and not a gator though...

We would also throw Styrofoam insulation in the ponds in the evening and get up early in the morning and shoot the frogs with .22s. Hit them right and they would stick into the styrofoam and the frog next to him would not move. Great fun with a .22 singleshot and a hand full of shells.

This thread makes me want to go!!!!!!

TaxAnnihilator
05-25-2010, 4:35 PM
Anyone know of places down in Southern California? Please pm me.

Or just post here, I am interested as well.

Thanks!

tommyid1
10-07-2012, 10:20 PM
East bay froggin discuss locations. Go!!!!!!

Puckinhead
10-08-2012, 7:10 AM
Have not been in years but we use to go in the back lakes of Shadow Cliffs.

tommyid1
10-08-2012, 10:40 PM
Any more locations y'all keepin secret!!?!?!?

Sunday
10-09-2012, 9:21 AM
Frogs are edible I have had frog legs more times than I would admit!!