PDA

View Full Version : Tell Me About Grenade Launchers

oaklander
08-27-2006, 9:39 PM
For some reason, the DOJ decided that the "grenade launcher" on the M59/66 SKS was a destructive device in its own right. Nevermind that grenades are controlled and impossible to get. And nevermind that *most* modern military rifles will shoot grenades.

My question is what other "grenade launchers" had the DOJ set their sights on?

More specifically, have they said anything about the IMBEL FAL so-called grenade launcher flash-hider?

I want to know because I am building one. If it turns out that its prohibited, I'll just weld a tab on it so that it can't be used as a "grenade launcher."

What a fricken' joke, this grenade launcher stuff.

k

anotherted
08-28-2006, 6:46 AM
i believe the pomegranate launcher on the imbel kit is a no no.

oaklander
08-28-2006, 8:37 AM
I know that's what everyone thinks - but I'm trying to find authority on this - e.g., a law, a court case, an interpretation from DOJ, etc..

Only if there is authority on this, can someone be prosecuted.

No authority equals legal.

k

anotherted
08-28-2006, 9:22 AM
i c. sorry bout that.

oaklander
08-28-2006, 9:46 AM
No problemo.

oaklander
08-28-2006, 10:11 AM
OK - I have an answer now.

I called I.C. at the D.O.J. - he told me that if it is similar to the STG-58 launcher and fits a grenade, then it is illegal. He has a sample grenade he uses to test it.

The way to fix it, he said, is to weld a sleeve over the compensator so that a grenade can't fit. A tab does not count - it has to be a full sleeve.

I'll probably just cut the barrel, and then put a different compensator on after I re-thread it.

oaklander
08-28-2006, 10:54 AM
OK - I just called DSA, and I will be using the same flash hider they use on the DSA "Congo" models they sell here in Cali - i.e. "Belgian Type Short Flash Hider, 9/16 24 left hand thread, new U.S. production."

Problem solved!

bwiese
08-28-2006, 10:59 AM
I called I.C. at the D.O.J. - he told me that if it is similar to the STG-58 launcher and fits a grenade, then it is illegal. He has a sample grenade he uses to test it.

The way to fix it, he said, is to weld a sleeve over the compensator so that a grenade can't fit. A tab does not count - it has to be a full sleeve.

If it can't launch a grenade, it ain't a grenade launcher. I.C.'s comments about full vs partial sleeves are 'just winging it' statements if a partially-sleeved welded up GL can't launch anything.

oaklander
08-28-2006, 12:36 PM
Well, it would look funny with a tab welded on it anyway (or a sleeve for that matter). So I think my solution of using the same FH that DSA uses for their cali-legal FALs is probably the best solution - plus it's a little shorter (a lot shorter, actually). It should look good.

It's amazing the hoops we have to jump through.

Counting internet postings and legal research and stuff like that (and buying compliance parts), I've probably spent about 20 hours, just on the legal aspects of putting that darn thing together.

The sooner I can move out if this stupid state, the better.

Dump1567
08-28-2006, 12:38 PM
It would be interesting to watch a DA put on evidence to prove up what a grenade launcher is in a court of law. Not to mention, how many LEO's actually know this laws on the books?

Charliegone
08-28-2006, 2:24 PM
Guys, I got another idea...how about attacking the SB23's piece by piece. For example, in this case GL's. How can we prove or show the public, officials, etc that these things aren't really a BIG problem as they put it...as far as I know...I've never seen or heard a single incident involving a GL. After that we can move on to the next one and so on..:D I don't know...just me thinking.

M. Sage
08-28-2006, 6:04 PM
It would be interesting to watch a DA put on evidence to prove up what a grenade launcher is in a court of law. Not to mention, how many LEO's actually know this laws on the books?

I just had a mental image of myself sitting at the defense table, demanding to see a practice grenade launched off Exhibit A.

If the grenade doesn't fly: tell the defendant "bye bye." :D