PDA

View Full Version : Hand tight ok?

Mr. Ed
08-27-2006, 8:06 PM
I have an upper receiver and will be purchasing a barrel assembly for it. The question I have is...do I need a special torque wrench to put on the free float handguard or can I just put it on very tightly with my hands?

rorschach
08-27-2006, 9:20 PM
I read somewhere that a strap wrench would work best. As a sometimes truck mechanic, I don't think it's a good idea to "hand tighten" anything if theres a tool available. I would imagine even more so for firearms.

mike452
08-27-2006, 9:49 PM
Hand is not good enough. Use a leather belt to wrap around the handguard for leverage and use a wrench on the belt to finish the job.
The leather thing that they sell for changing oil filters will work.

xenophobe
08-28-2006, 1:10 AM
You'll need a vice block and a barrel nut wrench to put the barrel assembly on the upper correctly.

Which FFHG are you talking about? Different manufacturers offer different means of attachment.

Blacktail 8541
08-28-2006, 7:06 AM
If you are going to build a rifle, you need to put it together correctly.
Buy a cheap vise and armorers wrench or strap wrench. If it is a flat top you can put it together without a reciever block by turning it on its side when you clamp it, and useing two peicess of flat wood to provide protection from the vise jaws. Do not over tighten.

Mr. Ed
08-28-2006, 8:03 AM
I plan on using a hougue ffhg. If I use a wrench to tighten it, how will I know how tight it's suppose to be? Can it be too tight?

adamsreeftank
08-28-2006, 10:52 AM
I plan on using a hougue ffhg. If I use a wrench to tighten it, how will I know how tight it's suppose to be? Can it be too tight?

When it breaks it is too tight.

Go to AR15.com and look at the thread on building an AR. It should have all of the info you need.

mltrading
08-28-2006, 5:44 PM
I assume installing the Hougue FFHG needs to remove original BBL nut, FSB, gas tube and FS.

This question should be separated into two parts.

1) Barrel nut: This nut is different from the original BBL nut. It has external threads, where the FFHG mounts on. This nut is used to fix barrel with receiver. It should be correctly torqued and indexed. Use an armorer's wrench or the wrench sold by FFHG manufacturer.

2) FFHG itself: DOESN'T MATTER. As long as the FFHG is attached without play, it's OK. Of course you might need to use the jam nut to index the rails.

For those FFHG system without removing BBL nut, FSB....., it's different story. It's much easier. At most you need to remove snap ring and/or cut delta ring. Then lock the FFHG on flat top rail of upper receiver. You are GTG.:)

anotherone
08-28-2006, 9:02 PM
I have an upper receiver and will be purchasing a barrel assembly for it. The question I have is...do I need a special torque wrench to put on the free float handguard or can I just put it on very tightly with my hands?

You can put it on hand-tight if you're superman, otherwise use an M-16 armorer's wrench. You can get 'em cheaply from del ton (www.del-ton.com)

Mr. Ed
08-28-2006, 9:32 PM
I'm definitely no superman, so thanks for the advice everyone. I'll start workingout my forearms though.:)