PDA

View Full Version : Is armor piercing ammo legal in NV?

Phouty
01-27-2011, 10:24 PM
Is possesion and/or target shooting of rifle caliber armor piercing, or armor piercing/incendiary ammo legal in Nevada?
For example .308 API, or AP.
No practical purpose to know, just my curiosity.
Subject came up in a discussion. My buddy says "hell no". Is he right? :helpsmilie:

gunsmith
01-27-2011, 11:01 PM
your buddy is wrong, you run across it at gun shows, but its expensive. You get those tracer rounds too-also expensive and illegal in CA afaik.

gunsmith
01-27-2011, 11:06 PM
Is possesion and/or target shooting of rifle caliber armor piercing, or armor piercing/incendiary ammo legal in Nevada?
For example .308 API, or AP.
No practical purpose to know, just my curiosity.
Subject came up in a discussion. My buddy says "hell no". Is he right? :helpsmilie:

make a bet with your buddy, have him find the NRS codes that prohibit AP ammo - win bet when he cant

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/nrs/NRS-476.html

Anchors
01-27-2011, 11:14 PM
Good luck finding true black tip .308

Importation is banned federally.
Possession is banned in California of "Handgun Ammo" that is AP/Incendiary.
(Who knows with CA these days if that counts as handgun ammo).

The feds consider 7.62x51 (and .223 and 7.62x39) to be handgun ammo.

glockman19
01-27-2011, 11:23 PM
AP rifle ammp is legal it's handgun AP that is not.

Anchors
01-27-2011, 11:29 PM
AP rifle ammp is legal it's handgun AP that is not.

Like I said.
But that is in CA.
And CA might consider .308 handgun ammo.
The feds consider .308 handgun ammo and thus ban AP .308 from importation.

Write Winger
01-28-2011, 10:54 AM
Hate to feel the recoil on that handgun

Jack L
01-28-2011, 10:59 AM
Hate to feel the recoil on that handgun

Jesse Ventura style handgun.

gunsmith
01-28-2011, 11:37 AM
so, before you give your buddy the bad news-have him put his money where his fud mouth is.

Phouty
01-28-2011, 1:31 PM
Thanx guys. Sure I'm gonna make a bet now. Loser will buy a case of .308AP ammo and finance the shooting trip to NV. :D
I already like that idea! :33: :clap: :2guns:

JagerTroop
01-28-2011, 1:49 PM
Unless you have something fun to shoot at (like, something armored) AP ammo is just a waste of money.
.308 fmj will punch through 1/4" plate with ease. Incendiary/tracer ammo is a different story though. Get that instead.

Mssr. Eleganté
01-28-2011, 7:52 PM
...But that is in CA.
And CA might consider .308 handgun ammo.

California's ban on "handgun ammunition designed primarily to penetrate metal or armor" specifically excludes "ammunition primarily designed for use in rifles" from the ban. There is no way they could claim that .308 isn't primarily designed for use in rifles.

The Federal restriction on AP handgun ammo applies to calibers that "may" be used in handguns and the law says the Secretary is allowed to say what "may" be used in handguns. That is how they were able to make the determination that .308 and 7.62x39 are "handgun" rounds. The Federal law doesn't have the strong protection of rifle ammo that California law has.

But like you said, the Federal restriction doesn't effect possession or use of AP ammo or sales of AP ammo by non-FFLs.

Anchors
01-28-2011, 8:37 PM
Thanx guys. Sure I'm gonna make a bet now. Loser will buy a case of .308AP ammo and finance the shooting trip to NV. :D
I already like that idea! :33: :clap: :2guns:

That is one expensive bet haha.

Unless you have something fun to shoot at (like, something armored) AP ammo is just a waste of money.
.308 fmj will punch through 1/4" plate with ease. Incendiary/tracer ammo is a different story though. Get that instead.

Yeah I agree. I haven't shot tracer/incendiary but it sure looks fun.
I wouldn't mind shooting one of my AR500 plates with AP just to hear it punch through something that the FMJ round just disintegrated against.

California's ban on "handgun ammunition designed primarily to penetrate metal or armor" specifically excludes "ammunition primarily designed for use in rifles" from the ban. There is no way they could claim that .308 isn't primarily designed for use in rifles.

The Federal restriction on AP handgun ammo applies to calibers that "may" be used in handguns and the law says the Secretary is allowed to say what "may" be used in handguns. That is how they were able to make the determination that .308 and 7.62x39 are "handgun" rounds. The Federal law doesn't have the strong protection of rifle ammo that California law has.

But like you said, the Federal restriction doesn't effect possession or use of AP ammo or sales of AP ammo by non-FFLs.

Ah I see.
And leave it to those Feds to use a law to grant a non-lawmaker some lawmaking abilities. (like ATF "opinions", de facto laws).
So then in theory, AP ammo in .223, 7.62 (x39/x51) are legal for possession and sale in California as long as they are not also incendiary/tracer.

Let this thread be used in reference when this question comes up again in three days. :D
Don't let the antis know haha.

Phouty
01-29-2011, 1:14 PM
That is one expensive bet haha.
Expensive is a relative term.

Contrary to a popular belief, there used to be a period of time in these USofA, when making, and keeping (:eek:) your hard earned $$$ was your right, not a privilege.
Hint:
JB was just a son of a politician.
ABBA was in, while Engelbert Humperdinck was out.
Rubbing shoulders in a disco with Jim Morrison wasn't a big deal. (And you could drink Bud on his tab....he was already "loaded"....in any sense of this word).
Riding on the bed of a pickup truck to the beach, and drinking beer maybe wasn't legal, but who cared?
When your hair was long enough to touch your ear lobes, THEY (parents, teachers, cops, e.t.c.) called you a hippie!
When making a choice to go to college, or being drafted to 'Nam was a no-brainer.
Go figure..........
Okay, enough of that rant, before I get banned for hijacking my own thread....;)

Well, I've got a huge advantage over my buddy, who still considers iPods and laptops as "evil inventions".
Made my homework by now, meaning, I printed out all relevant "papers" to proof, that I've already won a bet!
So, here's my question:
Is there any public land available for target shooting in a vicinity of Reno, NV?
Please take into account recent weather conditions. We gonna go there in the next 2, maybe 3 weeks. ( I must "enforce" the terms of the bet right now, otherwise it may simply "dissolve". So, now or never)!

It must be accessible by a "regular" sedan, because two old *****s wouldn't ride those 550 miles from OC to Reno in my topless 1992 Jeep Wrangler (already hit 148,00 miles....it's only 19 years new) with my 2 grandkids in the back seat. (Hey, in my times I'd never think of dumping my kids onto the laps of my parents. The earth must have revolved a couple of times around the sun since then, I guess.....)?
Two more auxilary questions:
A. Where can I buy a steel plate of proper dimensions? Say, 2x2 Ft, approx. 1/4" thick.
B. Where my buddy can buy a milsurplus 30-06 black tip ammo? (Finally he IS the loser)! I'm willing to accept a silver tip API as a substitute.

JDay
01-29-2011, 1:20 PM
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000921----000-.html

(17)
(A) The term “ammunition” means ammunition or cartridge cases, primers, bullets, or propellent powder designed for use in any firearm.
(B) The term “armor piercing ammunition” means—
(i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or
(ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.
(C) The term “armor piercing ammunition” does not include shotgun shot required by Federal or State environmental or game regulations for hunting purposes, a frangible projectile designed for target shooting, a projectile which the Attorney General finds is primarily intended to be used for sporting purposes, or any other projectile or projectile core which the Attorney General finds is intended to be used for industrial purposes, including a charge used in an oil and gas well perforating device.

Mssr. Eleganté
01-29-2011, 1:27 PM
Expensive is a relative term.

Contrary to a popular belief, there used to be a period of time in these USofA, when making, and keeping (:eek:) your hard earned $$$ was your right, not a privilege.
Hint:
JB was just a son of a politician.
ABBA was in, while Engelbert Humperdinck was out.
Rubbing shoulders in a disco with Jim Morrison wasn't a big deal. (And you could drink Bud on his tab....he was already "loaded"....in any sense of this word).
Riding on the bed of a pickup truck to the beach, and drinking beer maybe wasn't legal, but who cared?
When your hair was long enough to touch your ear lobes, THEY (parents, teachers, cops, e.t.c.) called you a hippie!
When making a choice to go to college, or being drafted to 'Nam was a no-brainer...

The top marginal income tax rates back then were 70% or higher. Now it's only around 35%. :)

http://www.truthandpolitics.org/top-rates-graph.php

Phouty
01-29-2011, 2:24 PM
The top marginal income tax rates back then were 70% or higher. Now it's only around 35%. :)

http://www.truthandpolitics.org/top-rates-graph.php

Hmmm.....the numbers speak for themselves, but it didn't feel like that then...
.....when I was 20-something. I really felt I was rich, and I could afford to live my life at least through those real, or perceived illusions. Or maybe it was just some sort of a quasi reality? Who knows?
BTW: These are very interesting remarks as some footnotes to the subject of "now" and "then".
But who cares! Where can I get that friggin' steel plate?

Mssr. Eleganté
01-29-2011, 2:44 PM
...Or maybe it was just some sort of a quasi reality?

A Budweiser and Disco fueled quasi reality. :p

Phouty
01-29-2011, 10:13 PM
^^^^^^^
+1
Those times are gone, and they NEVER will be back. (That's just my opinion).
Too bad.
But I'm a very persistent guy: Where can I buy a piece of steel plate to "test" AP ammo at the range?