PDA

View Full Version : detach mags and general characteristics

pitbull30
08-27-2006, 2:54 PM
Yesterday my friend went to the outdoor shooting range in Los Angeles. He said there was a guy there with a drum mag rifle similar looking to a M-60. It had a bipod also. He said that he overheard the guy say, "yeah i needed a hobby so I went out and bought one".

My question is arent detachable mags illegal in CA? Especially a drum mag?

Are there any guns that are legal in CA to have a detachable mag. I have read quite a few posts here. But I dont know if there are new recent laws etc.

Am I reading this right that I can have a detachable mag as long as it doesnt have any of the OTHER characteristics?
----------
----------
Generic Characteristics Defining Assault Weapons:
12276.1 (a) Notwithstanding Penal Code section 12276, “assault weapon” shall also mean the follow
Rifles
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any on
the following:
(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.
(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than
rounds.
(3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.

blkA4alb
08-27-2006, 3:06 PM
There are many legal rifles that use detachable magazines. You are correct that if the rifle does not have any of the other features it can use detachable magazine, such as the ARs with no pistol grip or other feature.

This is the part of the law you need to understand:

(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any on
the following:

That means that if the rifle is a bolt action, a rimfire, or doesn't have any of the items listed below that it is legal. Buying, selling, importing, trading, giving, or lending of high capacity magazine (greater than 10 rounds) is illegal. But if you owned the magazine prior to the ban (2000) then you can legally keep and use them.

SemiAutoSam
08-27-2006, 3:10 PM
I think he means what rifles are made from the mfg that have detachable mags and are legal in that design.

or at least thats what I got from his post.

I would think a few like the YUCK ruger mini 14, mini 30, the M1A without its flash hider, and other wood stocked (less pistol grip) versions of semiautomatic rifles would fit the bill.

pitbull30
08-27-2006, 3:17 PM
I wanted to make sure I understood this correct. I currently only own handguns. No rifles but would like to get one.

Can anyone reccomend a shop in southern california with a good selection of rifles?

Since semiautosam brought it up, what other guns fit the CA legal rifle requirements that accept detachable mags?

What about customization? What are the favorites?

Thanks for the help.

grammaton76
08-27-2006, 4:02 PM
Can anyone reccomend a shop in southern california with a good selection of rifles?

Since semiautosam brought it up, what other guns fit the CA legal rifle requirements that accept detachable mags?

In Socal, check out Turners. They've generally got a few M1A's around, including the very nice SOCOM's. CA legal. They'll usually also have the SU-16, which takes AR mags and such. If you get one, you want the CA model.