PDA

View Full Version : More women should be involved in shooting..so what do you do to help?

TonyNorCal
08-27-2006, 1:03 PM
I think women are tremendous asset in the fight for gun rights.

It would seem that women would have a stake in gun ownership as self-defense and a feeling of security is something that is of special concern to many women.

Additionally, I think that shooting can be very empowering and might also appeal to women in that regard.

So, how can you help get women interested/involved in shooting? Well, you could invite out your female friends.

Here are some suggestions off the top of my head...
1.) Have some firearms available that are friendly to someoe who has never shot before and might be a little apprehensive* about guns. Of course, platforms firing the .22LR make the most sense (low recoil, cheap ammo, etc.). Having something like a 10/22 and one of the many Ruger handguns (or other makers, doesn't really matter.

2.) Dovetailing off #1...it's probably not a good idea to introduce a woman to guns with your SHTF M1A, Garand, M44, .50 BMG, Desert Eagle, .45-70 Guide Gun, .44 Mag....etc. Rather than trying to impress her with what big bad guns you have, start slow with a simple .22. All the big recoil, kick, and big noise that you like has a good chance of turning off someone new.

3.) Make it 'fun'. Meaning don't have an overly intense attitude or come across as some overearing schmuk. You're not there to compete with her. Explain things in a friendly way and don't be a tool.

4.) Ask if she wants to bring some of her friends. Some women would probably feel more comfortable with another girl there.

And I am sure you probably have ideas.

~~

*I know there are women who have no issue jumping right into a .45, but I am just talking in general. It's probably best to assume a .22 is the best starter gun. She can always move up:p

Grakken
08-27-2006, 1:21 PM
I agree. Not only Women but get more kids into it as well. As long as it is done in a safe, legal manner, i wouldnt care if chimps fired guns:D

Women and Guns? Is there a better combination?:cool:

My girl is 5'1 and has no probs with any of my guns, albeit the hardest kicking gun i have is Remmy 870.

killuminati
08-27-2006, 1:37 PM
I feel completeley opposite on this issue, for me women and firearms represente a dangerous combination. Just as we have all come to learn the horrors and consequences of the womens suffrage movement, there are still femnazi's and femnazi supporting "males" out there ready and willing to erase the ever fading line that seperates the male role in society from his female counterpart.

GTKrockeTT
08-27-2006, 1:39 PM
tried to do my part. i refused sex until she went to the range with me...i lost.

ElBandito
08-27-2006, 2:12 PM
i do agree that it would be nice to see more ladies at the range :D

kantstudien
08-27-2006, 2:28 PM
To do my part, I walk around the range with my shirt off and olive oil rubbed all over my body. I'm still waiting for the Dillon girls to stop by.

sac7000
08-27-2006, 2:39 PM
Our local club is trying to get more women involved with firearms at our range. According to the NRA it's the woman who decides if a firearm is allowed in the home and if their child participates in shooting activities.

We are currently looking into hosting a special event where women can be introduced to firearms where they won't feel intimidated. Our active membership is well over 500 members with over 95 percent being male.

sac7000
08-27-2006, 2:53 PM
4.) Ask if she wants to bring some of her friends. Some women would probably feel more comfortable with another girl there.

And as much as I hate to say it, with no men around during first time shooter training.

Most of them have zero experience with guns and need a safe and non-threatening environment to learn. Once they become confortable with handling and shooting a firearm they will invite their friends.

50BMGBOB
08-27-2006, 2:54 PM
Girls are usally good shooters once they get started. I know last week a new world record with a 50BMG was set by a girl, 1000 yards, 5 shots in less than 2 5/8"

TonyNorCal hit most of the main points. You might think about a daddy/dauther day. My girls always like things like that.

Pthfndr
08-27-2006, 3:00 PM
I feel completeley opposite on this issue, for me women and firearms represente a dangerous combination. Just as we have all come to learn the horrors and consequences of the womens suffrage movement, there are still femnazi's and femnazi supporting "males" out there ready and willing to erase the ever fading line that seperates the male role in society from his female counterpart.

Ok, the first line I got. You're a liberal, right? I mean, it's your feelings you're talking about. Liberals express how they feel, Conservatives say what they think. Ok. Fine. ;)

But what does the rest of it mean. Care to elaborate?

gose
08-27-2006, 3:08 PM
I've taken my gf to the range and even bought a gun that she would feel more comfortable with. She's been talking about bringing some friends as well :)

blkA4alb
08-27-2006, 3:08 PM
Are you for real?? :confused: :mad:

Pthfndr
08-27-2006, 3:22 PM
Ok, if you want to get women to shoot - my son and myself have done this with several women - you must start them off with "harmless" firearms at short distances. By harmless I mean ones that have minimal recoil and minimum bullet size. You want them to have FUN shooting it. Accuracy=FUN. For a .22 rifle that means no more than 25 yards. For a handgun 7 yards. NEVER YELL, NEVER CRITICIZE THEM LOUD ENOUGH FOR OTHERS TO HEAR, NEVER TELL THEM THEY'RE STUPID. EVEN IF THEY DO SOMETHING WRONG OR UNSAFE. YOU WANT THEM TO ENJOY THE EXPERIENCE AND HAVE FUN.

After going over all the basic safety rules - in a plain, conversational, matter of fact tone - Have them dry fire the firearm a few times as you explain to them the proper way to hold/grip the firearm. Explain sight alignment. Then, YOU load one (1) round. Have them shoot it. Then have them load one round and shoot it. If it's a revolver (a SA is better because of the trigger pull) you can then load the cylinder. If it's a semi auto, let them load 2 rounds and shoot so they can see how it will auto load, fire, and then lock open. Progress to a full mag. Take a brick of ammo and let them shoot the whole thing. Then, and only then, if they are comfortable should you offer to let them shoot a larger caliber. BUT, start off the exact same way and progress up. But trust me, you won't have to offer. They'll ask first :D

Once you have them shooting, take them to a match. Smallbore, handgun, rifle, it doesn't matter. What you want is for them to see people using guns, being safe, and having fun. You'd be surprised how many women will shoot in matches but hate going to a public range and shooting from the bench.

One last thing. Going up into the hills and rapid/bump firing a few mags is THE BEST relief for stress and PMS there is. At least according to my lady friend.

Now, if you want to get women more involved in the fight for firearms rights/ownership do this. First, show them Oleg Volk's website: http://www.a-human-right.com/.

Then give them a copy of this book: Armed and Female, by Paxton Quigley.

Next, start clipping articles out of the newspaper or printing out stories from them on the internet about rapes, home invasions, child kidnappings and molestation, etc where the MOTHER was in close proximity but did NOTHING. Then explain to them how it takes appropriate force to stop things like that because the police just cannot get there in time to prevent it from happening. Only they can.

M. Sage
08-27-2006, 3:26 PM
Are you for real?? :confused: :mad:

I hope he's not. Women make some damn fine shooters. It's not unheard of for my wife to out-shoot me. And I learned more than a little bit about how to shoot a pistol from my mother.

I'll invite anybody to the range when the subject of guns comes up. One day, after getting home from the range, a couple of my wife's friends were over, and I had to give my rifle a quick clean before I put it away (corrosive ammo!). One of her friends had a friend visiting from out of town, and she wanted to know about my 91/30. I gave her a quick lesson on how to hold and aim a rifle (with the bolt removed for safety.) She seemed to get a kick out of it and wished she had time for a range trip.

What to do I do to get more women shooting? I have my Marlin 60 with a scope on it for newbies to learn on. I've got no problem with loaning my rifle at the range, and do my best to keep the instructions friendly and basic, mostly safety-based stuff. If they want to move onto something that's got some recoil, I hand over the Mosin. I haven't had any complaints about it kicking too hard or scaring anybody with the noise and recoil. They usually see me shooting it and can tell what's up.

My wife and I have open invitations out to a couple of her friends (and the wife's cousin) to take a range trip and try it out.

IMO, it helps to have another woman (wifey!) along who's shot before. It's maybe a bit less intimidating than being surrounded by a bunch of men who seem to be experts (though I'll never claim that!!)

grammaton76
08-27-2006, 3:43 PM
Yep, it's important. My gf was actually a member of some females-with-firearms forum a while back. Kind of a good idea, since women won't hang around on places like Calguns because - well, we're a bunch of men.

Women are pretty prejudiced, for a gender that prides itself on claiming to be more tolerant and level headed. ;)

I would have to say though, that trying to do the 22LR thing isn't always a good idea. It can come off as patronizing. Whenever I have a female newbie, I ask HER what she'd prefer to fire, and give my input on recommendations. Usually they end up choosing 9mm or 45acp, sometimes 22LR. If they have problems with the larger caliber, they can always move down to 22. My girlfriend has fallen in love with 45acp; with the ex before her it was the Desert Eagle in 44 magnum. I have only run across a couple of girls who didn't PREFER larger calibers.

blkA4alb
08-27-2006, 4:09 PM
I understand your point but the majority of the site I'm sure does not.

Your speaking of the phase of the matriarchal takeover known as feminism
right ?

They don't understand or are too blinded to see the big picture.

The traditional roles of females are and have been changing and its not for the better also from my perspective.
:mad: Gee, your right. I don't understand (I have perfect vision thanks.) Why don't you explain it to me and the rest of us?

Grakken
08-27-2006, 4:42 PM
NEVER YELL, NEVER CRITICIZE THEM LOUD ENOUGH FOR OTHERS TO HEAR, NEVER TELL THEM THEY'RE STUPID. EVEN IF THEY DO SOMETHING WRONG OR UNSAFE. YOU WANT THEM TO ENJOY THE EXPERIENCE AND HAVE FUN.

This would hold true for anyone. :)

Unless you are on the range in boot at Camp Pendleton.

blkA4alb
08-27-2006, 5:01 PM
Yes I am familiar with a Matriarch and Patriarch. A Matriarch is when a/the women control the power and a Patriarch when a/the men control the power.

So what your saying is basically that women shouldn't have power, that they aren't equal to men?

Mesa Tactical
08-27-2006, 5:15 PM
And I am sure you probably have ideas.

One of the reasons I got involved with Pink Pistols is because a lot of women, gay or straight, felt more comfortable getting their intro to firearms from a gay shooting club than the usual R. Lee Ermey type instructors.

We used to get a lot of straight dudes who felt the same way.

There are a lot of potential gun owners and firearms enthusiasts out there who, upon entering a typical gun store with the typical crew of Neanderthals on both sides of the counter, turn around and walk right back out.

Gun owners are our own worst enemies.

My wife is French, and originally shared the typical European bias against guns. I started her with .22s, and we worked up to .38 Special and 9mm. I'd say this is always the best way to approach things with a new shooter. She enjoys shooting rifles from a bench, but they are too heavy for her to hold up any other way. Now she really enjoys shooting and is happy to bore her friends to death raving about how fun it is.

On the other hand, I will never forget the time at Angeles Ranges when the guy at the bench next to me was introducing his wife or girlfriend to shooting. He started her out with an M1 that she could barely hold up, let alone aim properly. She was defintely not enjoying her day at the range.

blkA4alb
08-27-2006, 5:18 PM
No I didn't say that but someone has to wear the pants in the family and in the last 20-30 years women have been trying to put them selves into the role more and more.

And if I'm entitled to my opinion in this forum I feel women's roles would be better served as homemakers then as breadwinners. and NO I don't feel that they are equal to men.

They have been trying to get into men's roles in life for a long time now and at times they haven't done half bad at it. But that's not the point IMHO they don't belong in a mans roles.

For a good example of this if you could have seen a ride at disneyland called carrousel of progress this would have shown how the roles have changed and not for the better in my opinion.
Can you tell me how women are inferior to men? Are women better cooks? Are their vaccuming skills genetically better than the males? What exactily is a mans role in current society? Maybe in the past the women were not able to do the daily physical labor (cutting down trees, gathering firewood, hunting, etc as effectively) but those are essentially moot points these days.

And of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I can guarantee we won't all agree. I'm just trying to grasp yours (its not working to well.)

blkA4alb
08-27-2006, 5:32 PM
It tears apart at society when it starts to go this way I dont think I ever said ther're inferior. as in a human value kind of way. when they start to take control and have the desire to take control that is when it starts to get bad or at least when society starts to fall apart.
You are implying they are inferior. You just said that if women are in power than society will "fall apart." The converse of that is that if men are in power than society will prosper. You havn't told or shown me how the women being in power will bring down society however.

azn_wrx
08-27-2006, 5:32 PM

ummm we arent living in the 1400's when women didnt have any rights. They have the same rights as men do. Maybe you arent getting enough action. :p
j/k

Fjold
08-27-2006, 5:35 PM
I take my daughters shooting:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/DSC00209.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/DSC00183.jpg

grammaton76
08-27-2006, 5:38 PM
I personally have my own views on things, but I feel that, thanks to our society, women are busy trying to assume 'minority/constant victim' status AND equal status at the same time.

The two do not work together.

At a workplace, women can tell jokes denigrating men all they want, but if a man tells a similar joke about women, he's on HR charges. Our society supports this.

We want the pay scales equalized, but at the same time women want to disappear from work for several months to have a kid and come back to their job. This is something men don't have the option of doing if they want to keep their career. From a strictly business standpoint alone, this makes men more valuable EMPLOYEES, although you can't legally recognize that. I'm not saying more valuable people, I'm saying employees, 'k? Don't get your panties in a bunch.

I knew one woman, met her in Japan, that was the biggest "women are downtrodden / need to be brought up / men are constantly persecuting women" advocate ever. However, she fully expected that men should ALSO continue holding open doors, kowtow to women in basically all matters, etc. This is normal for the feminist crowd.

To put it in a readily recognized context - you know Vasquez, from "Aliens"? Were all women to be like her, then sure, there wouldn't be much reason for them NOT to be on an equal footing, and "victim" status would be unnecessary. But women aren't all like her (thank goodness).

Women have been getting more overt, over the last few decades, about controlling their families and such. Sure, they do it by whining and complaining and such, but the control is there and the societal expectations are gradually moving such that the woman is expected to be the one in charge. The one with ultimate veto power. The one who, if anything TRULY matters to her, it's going to go her way.

This is not equality, this is indeed matriarchy. I'm not sure what Semi's saying, but I do agree that at the hands of the politically correct society that more and more children are being raised under, we're being "guilted" into a matriarchial system.

Now, who stands to benefit from this? The liberals, as most women do tend to lean in that direction. Coincidentally, weren't they the ones that pushed political correctness, etc, so hard? Hmmmmmmmmm.....

blkA4alb
08-27-2006, 5:45 PM
Yep you nailed it. That is my opinion You don't have to agree with it I'm sure you have an opinion also and you are also entitled to your opinion.

Sorry maybe I'm not as good as you are in explaining things to others.
Yes, we'll have to agree to disagree. Were you being facitious with that last comment?

blkA4alb
08-27-2006, 5:53 PM
No, I meant facetious.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=facetious

phish
08-27-2006, 5:58 PM
A female junior regularly hands the guys their butts at matches, only been shooting for 3 years and some change, at least competetively. Another one in my club got an appointment at the Merchant Marine Academy and is a pretty good shot as well.

The good thing about shooting is that it really is the ultimate equalizer, especially with proper instruction.

The Soup Nazi
08-27-2006, 6:01 PM
But what if they start painting their curio and relic rifles pink. :(

SemiAutoSam
08-27-2006, 6:03 PM
facitious was the first word and facetious. was the last so thats how I came up with what I did.

ivanimal
08-27-2006, 6:04 PM
Yes I am familiar with a Matriarch and Patriarch. A Matriarch is when a/the women control the power and a Patriarch when a/the men control the power.

So what your saying is basically that women shouldn't have power, that they aren't equal to men?

How was England affected by being ruled by Queens? They took over most of the free world. Totally off sublect fellas.

I believe that everyone has the right to do as they see fit, wheter with firearms or not. As long as it is in the context of the law and good taste, have at it. I am a Christian but I dont believe my wife should be my servant as the good book says. I will walk next to my wife and if I deserve it she will always be there, with me not behind me.

Please keep this thread civil.

M. Sage
08-27-2006, 6:10 PM
Yep, it's important. My gf was actually a member of some females-with-firearms forum a while back. Kind of a good idea, since women won't hang around on places like Calguns because - well, we're a bunch of men.

Women are pretty prejudiced, for a gender that prides itself on claiming to be more tolerant and level headed. ;)

I would have to say though, that trying to do the 22LR thing isn't always a good idea. It can come off as patronizing. Whenever I have a female newbie, I ask HER what she'd prefer to fire, and give my input on recommendations. Usually they end up choosing 9mm or 45acp, sometimes 22LR. If they have problems with the larger caliber, they can always move down to 22. My girlfriend has fallen in love with 45acp; with the ex before her it was the Desert Eagle in 44 magnum. I have only run across a couple of girls who didn't PREFER larger calibers.

I just hand all the first-timers that go to the range with me my .22. I tell 'em all that it's how I learned, and how most people learn. Never had anyone complain or think I was being condescending by giving them the "little" rifle.

Of course, I don't say "I'm giving you this one because it's less powerful and doesn't have any recoil." If you say that, then there are very few people of EITHER gender whose ego will let them shoot anything less than the biggest, loudest, hardest-kicking gun you brought.

SemiAutoSam
08-27-2006, 6:10 PM
How can women be equal to men?

Directory > Words > Dictionary > equal e·qual (ē'kwəl)
adj.
Having the same quantity, measure, or value as another.
Mathematics. Being the same or identical to in value.

Having the same privileges, status, or rights: equal before the law.
Being the same for all members of a group: gave every player an equal chance to win.

Having the requisite qualities, such as strength or ability, for a task or situation: “Elizabeth found herself quite equal to the scene” (Jane Austen).
Adequate in extent, amount, or degree.
Impartial; just; equitable.
Tranquil; equable.
Showing or having no variance in proportion, structure, or appearance.
n.
One that is equal to another: These two models are equals in computing power.

tr.v., e·qualed or e·qualled, e·qual·ing or e·qual·ling, e·quals or e·quals.
To be equal to, especially in value.
To do, make, or produce something equal to: equaled the world record in the mile run.
[Middle English, from Latin aequālis, from aequus, even, level.]

equally e'qual·ly adv.
USAGE NOTE It has been argued that equal is an absolute term—two quantities either are or are not equal—and hence cannot be qualified as to degree. Therefore one cannot logically speak of a more equal allocation of resources among the departments. However, this usage was accepted by 71 percent of the Usage Panel in an earlier survey. Objections to the more equal construction rest on the assumption that the mathematical notion of equality is appropriate to the description of a world where the equality of two quantities is often an approximate matter, and where statements of equality are always relative to an implicit standard of tolerance. When someone says The two boards are of equal length, we assume that the equality is reckoned to some order of approximation determined by the context; if we did not, we would be required always to use nearly equal when speaking of the dimensions of physical objects. What is more, we often speak of the equality of things that cannot be measured quantitatively, as when we say The college draft was introduced in an effort to make the teams in the National Football League as equal as possible, or The candidates for the job should all be given equal consideration. In all such cases equality is naturally a gradient notion and can be modified in degree. This much is evident from the existence of the word unequal, for the prefix un– attaches only to gradient adjectives. We say unmanly but not unmale; and the word uneven can be applied to a surface (whose evenness may be a matter of degree) but not to a number (whose evenness is an either/or affair). • The adverb equally is generally regarded as redundant when used in combination with as. In an earlier survey, 63 percent of the Usage Panel found the following examples unacceptably redundant: Experience is equally as valuable as theory. Equally as important is the desire to learn. To eliminate the redundancy, equally should be deleted from the first example and as from the second. The solution to this usage problem usually involves using as alone when a comparison is explicit and equally alone when it is not. See Usage Notes at absolute, as1, center, perfect, unique.

equal

adjective

Agreeing exactly in value, quantity, or effect: equivalent, even1, identical, same, tantamount. Idioms: on a par, one and the same. See same/different/compare.
Having the necessary strength or ability: up to. See ability/inability.
Just to all parties: equitable, even1, evenhanded, fair. See same/different/compare.
noun

One that is very similar to another in rank or position: coequal, colleague, compeer, equivalent, fellow, peer2,, same/different/compare.
verb

To be equal or alike: compare, correspond, match, measure up, parallel, touch. Informal stack up. See same/different/compare.
To be equivalent or tantamount: amount, constitute, correspond. Idioms: have all the earmarks. See be.
To do or make something equal to: match, meet1, tie. See same/different/compare.

ivanimal
08-27-2006, 6:13 PM
Sam I usually agree with most things you say but we are on different planets here. Stay on the subject of how to get women into shooting or I will close this thread. You have been respectful and civil. Your opinions however are harsh and unbending.

We will not allow political or religious debate on a riflemans forum.

Period.

PIRATE14
08-27-2006, 6:48 PM
I try and get as many as I can involved in shooting as I can but when I bring them to range.......I always catch hell from the wife......:D

Who's that??

Oh she's my new shootin budy......

I'll give you a shootin budy......."pow" right in the kisser

TonyNorCal
08-27-2006, 6:49 PM
I appreciate the info guys...and enjoy reading other people's opinions. Please let's not get the thread closed. I think it's an important issue. I was also hoping maybe one of our female members would arrive and share her insight

C.G.
08-27-2006, 7:39 PM
I appreciate the info guys...and enjoy reading other people's opinions. Please let's not get the thread closed. I think it's an important issue. I was also hoping maybe one of our female members would arrive and share her insight

Haven't seen any posts from Gnote lately, she would probably be a good candidate to give us her view.

SemiAutoSam
08-27-2006, 7:56 PM
Ivan
Not a problem I will remove my opinions

guimus
08-27-2006, 8:22 PM
In the past month I've taken four female friends shooting and they all loved it. It's nice having a place like Chabot to go to, which is in a nice setting, often has other women around, isn't too macho, has the rules clearly laid out, and is often full of helpful folks.

For all but one of the folks (women and men) that I've taken shooting, I start with a private safety and range rules lesson in my home or shop. Basics of safety procedures and firearms operation, how to hold, using sights, etc; nothing too fancy. When we're done, I teach them how to clean!

My wife isn't into shooting, but if I showed her this thread I guarantee that she'd get very interested at shooting a few specific targets.

snafu510
08-27-2006, 8:46 PM
I took my daughter shooting for the first time yesterday. We started by going over firearms safety rules and range rules from Chabot's site. Then I went over all the parts of the gun we'd be shooting - a .22 bolt action - and how it all works. Did a little dry firing to. I figured it would be better to go over all that in the quiet of my living room rather than on the range with ear plugs in. Then we went shooting.

It was a great afternoon and she's ready to go back next week.

M. Sage
08-27-2006, 9:33 PM
In the past month I've taken four female friends shooting and they all loved it. It's nice having a place like Chabot to go to, which is in a nice setting, often has other women around, isn't too macho, has the rules clearly laid out, and is often full of helpful folks.

+1. I love Chabot. Great place, friendliest people there in the Bay Area, hands down. I think it's a great place to take a beginner, the staff and shooters are always friendly, helpful and nice.

The SoCal Gunner
08-28-2006, 1:11 AM
Wow. This thread has gone way off topic.

I have taken my girlfriend a few times along with me. She doesn't shoot much when the caliber is larger than a .22 but she tries. Last time we went, a shell casing landed in her shirt and burned her a little so she was done for the day.

I've taken my two sisters shooting. Let them start with the rented .22 then moved to my 9mm and .40s&w.

If all goes planned, I will be going again today with my girlfriend and a lady friend of hers. It will be the friends first time.

I think it is a very good idea to own a little .22 to let women start off with. Cheap to own and cheap to shoot. Just haven't been able to get myself to get that over a larger caliber yet because my girlfriend really doesn't shoot much with me.

One thing I love about my girlfriend is that she surprised me with a Glock 36 for my bday which is today!

Mesa Tactical
08-28-2006, 7:09 AM
A female junior regularly hands the guys their butts at matches,

Yep, and now we arrive at the real reason SemiAutoSam doesn't want to see more women shooters.

shinigami
08-28-2006, 8:32 AM
I don't know guys, but I still think women are BETTER shots than men :D well for me anyways....

my fiancee' is a better shot
my fiancee' handles hard liquor better than me.. (wuss)

although she gets that psycho look on her face when she holds my rifle:eek:

But for the most part she out-shoots me everytime....must be hormones:D

Here's the thing though, If I don't get her to like guns I'm going to have a hard time buying guns, okay? That's the bottom line.

Pokey
08-28-2006, 9:15 AM
I frequently take ladies out shooting (most are my wifes friends). I take a variety of arms out and explain their particulars. Start them with the .22 then progress to others (if they choose to), I always explain recoil, muzzle blast, and what to expect. I often squeeze off a few rounds and have them squeeze dry so that they know what to expect. EVERYONE gets the range safety lecture too. In my experience women are much easier to instruct and usually better shooters.

phish
08-28-2006, 9:20 AM
My club sometimes instructs small groups comprised of women, last one was from a church group. There's also another upcomming shoot of ~50, don't know when, things are still being worked out.

Heck, in my Houze book on the Win 52, colleges and high schools had women's shooting teams back in the 20's and 30's!

atascadero
08-28-2006, 9:43 AM
Before going to the range, make sure she is comfortable with the unloaded gun and how it works. Also, that you'll deal with any problems, if they arise.

If she wants a friend to be there, then encourage her to have that friend there. Also, never let her feel she is "failing". It's a competition for most males. Let the ladies just learn and they will probably out shoot us in the end!

Make it an open ended deal. See how she feels about it after shooting a few rounds. Talk about it. And if that's enough for her that day? Go out for lunch or dinner. Make it a positive.

grammaton76
08-28-2006, 3:01 PM
Last time we went, a shell casing landed in her shirt and burned her a little so she was done for the day.

The first time I took my gf to the range, I had warned her against wearing anything low-cut. She wore a shirt with a little bit of a gap to it, but she apparently thought it wouldn't be an issue.

Needless to say, she discovered that 7.62x25mm Tokarev casings are REALLY hot. She STILL scowls at that gun every time she sees it!

M1A_KICHI
08-28-2006, 4:49 PM
When I got out on dates sometimes I take them to the range. I have taken girls who have been hard core against guns until I showed them how fun it can be. When you see that smile they have on their face you know they know they have been missin out. Besides, it's not your common "movie" idea.

Thrillbilly
08-28-2006, 5:10 PM
My wife wanted to go with me one day (the day I picked up my Mosin Nagant M44). I was suprised it was her first time shooting and she was hitting the steel at 400 yards. Unfortunately she never developed an interest in the sport. Recently she has asked me to go again but she wants to learn on my pistols. I asked her why the sudden interest. She replied that she wanted to incase something happend when I was at work. So I am hoping that this will spark an interest in the sport. I think I will use this opportunity to get her that 229 she always needed :D or maybe that kimber she always needed :D

M. Sage
08-28-2006, 5:28 PM
I think I will use this opportunity to get her that 229 she always needed :D or maybe that kimber she always needed :D

Bah, she's always needed one of each. :D

ivanimal
08-28-2006, 9:17 PM
My wife wanted to go with me one day (the day I picked up my Mosin Nagant M44). I was suprised it was her first time shooting and she was hitting the steel at 400 yards. Unfortunately she never developed an interest in the sport. Recently she has asked me to go again but she wants to learn on my pistols. I asked her why the sudden interest. She replied that she wanted to incase something happend when I was at work. So I am hoping that this will spark an interest in the sport. I think I will use this opportunity to get her that 229 she always needed :D or maybe that kimber she always needed :D

I aint taking no chances, I bought her a dozen handguns she always needed!

Thrillbilly
08-28-2006, 9:36 PM
Come to think of it she needs some new rifles as well. ;)

mr2.0
08-29-2006, 4:40 AM
Hell! My gf can shoot better than I can with my very own SKS and it was her first time ever shooting a rifle :confused: . She been asking me if we can go to the range again, I said " okay, you can shoot with the sks but you're not touching my black rifle" :D

ts
08-29-2006, 5:46 AM
I wonder if there is a ballet forum or something out there with a thread saying, “We need more guys.” I find when incorporating women into things it makes them more complex. Why try to get them involved in shooting? If they want to, sure go ahead. If they don’t to each their own. I don’t go to the range to meet women; I go there to put holes in paper. Now if I was at a party, I’ll be the first guys to say,“We need to get some women over here!”

Mesa Tactical
08-29-2006, 9:21 AM
My wife wanted to go with me one day (the day I picked up my Mosin Nagant M44). I was suprised it was her first time shooting and she was hitting the steel at 400 yards. Unfortunately she never developed an interest in the sport.

Dude, I bet there'd be precious few guys who'd develop much interest in shooting if the first rifle they shot was a Mosin-Nagant. Ouch.

JPN6336
08-29-2006, 9:28 AM
I've taken 2 girlfriends shooting and an ex-girlfriend. The first girlfriend and the ex had fun but weren't intensly interested. My current girlfriend wants at least 2 pistols and a shotgun of her own.

rod
08-29-2006, 9:36 AM
I got my wife involved in shooting when we were still dating. In fact, almost all our dates were to the range. She enjoys shooting as much as I do but she doesn't loose her mind when a good deal comes along for a gun I really don't need. My wife can shoot well too. I wouldn't want to be down range from her and on her sh*t list.

Thrillbilly
08-29-2006, 2:03 PM
Dude, I bet there'd be precious few guys who'd develop much interest in shooting if the first rifle they shot was a Mosin-Nagant. Ouch.

She was actually the one who wanted to try it out, and was hitting the steel at 400 yards. Now after 20 rounds I ended up putting a recoil pad on for her.
This brings up a thought maybe it was the bolt action she didnt like, I should get a SVT-40 or a Dragunov (if they are legal here) for her to try :D .

Elandur
08-29-2006, 3:58 PM
I take my girlfriend shooting with me every chance I get :)
Her favorite gun is my 10/22 (She can shoot dime/nickel size groups at 25 yards with my stock 10/22 with junk scope (She rests her elbow on the bench for support). She's never shot past 25 yards, but she'll get a chance in a bit over a week, we're going out to Angeles). But she also loves the Ruger GP100 and the Ruger PC4 (Yep, she's a Ruger fan :-D). She likes the Springfield Loaded 1911 (Ported barrel version), but she doesn't really shoot it too much.
She had never touched a firearm before she went shooting with me, and now she's hooked! She even proudly displays her targets on her bedroom wall, and has a little display with brass from calibers she's fired.

Cato
08-29-2006, 4:16 PM
Is there anything we men can have to ourselves? Society is becoming too feminized. Men are dumb, women are smart and in control! Every comericial with a dummy husband proves that right!? Our state senators have done a fine job with firearms legislation, right!? I for one like going to a gun store and enjoying the masculine environment. Maybe more men should be involved in knitting and popularizing the man skirt. Oh, if we could do away with urinals and learn to pee siting down, we could donate that money to save baby seals. I was in the navy when co-ed combat ships came about. Discusting. I didnt join the navy to see tampons shooting out the CHT overboard discharge. Oh well, sorry for the rant.

ts
08-29-2006, 5:46 PM
Is there anything we men can have to ourselves? Society is becoming too feminized. Men are dumb, women are smart and in control! Every comericial with a dummy husband proves that right!? Our state senators have done a fine job with firearms legislation, right!? I for one like going to a gun store and enjoying the masculine environment. Maybe more men should be involved in knitting and popularizing the man skirt. Oh, if we could do away with urinals and learn to pee siting down, we could donate that money to save baby seals. I was in the navy when co-ed combat ships came about. Discusting. I didnt join the navy to see tampons shooting out the CHT overboard discharge. Oh well, sorry for the rant.

yup, what he said.

M. Sage
08-29-2006, 6:28 PM
This thread has officially entered WTF territory.

Y'all realize that the best Soviet snipers in WWII were women, right? :P

leelaw
08-29-2006, 7:06 PM
I assist with a Self Defense & Firearms class, have been for the past three years. I encourage women who are on the fence about firearms, or have no experience with them, to join the class. Then, if they need extra attention for their first couple times, I'll given them some extra help and offer to take them to the range for a private lesson if desired.

Most are able to get it down during the class. There is a surprisingly high mix of women in this class, I'd say around 50/50

Pthfndr
08-29-2006, 9:15 PM
Is there anything we men can have to ourselves?

There's nothing to stop you from going shooting by yourself. No one says you need to take a female along.

NoobShooter
08-29-2006, 9:22 PM
I've gotten two ladies at work to agree with me to the indoor range.

Recommendations on guns?
Definitely 22's... revolver? semi-auto?

ivanimal
08-29-2006, 9:55 PM

If you are good enough go play pro football, that is still a mans game. I'm sure you will feel just fine in tights.

Without change there can be no progress.

Not all change is progress.

It does feel at times that there is no gender line. How do you think it was in the late 30's and early 40's when the navy you speak of was fighting wars in ships assembled primarily by women. It is as much a cycle as it is a shock.

xenophobe
08-29-2006, 10:08 PM

Recommendations on guns?

Full size, semi-auto 22s are the best for basic pistol markmanship training, IMO. Small firearms are easier to fumble with. Full size pistols are easier to steady and have a longer sight radius.

ts
08-29-2006, 11:51 PM
I don't think anyone here is saying a woman can’t shoot better then a man or vice versa. I believe there are two sides to this thread. The side that wants to bring women in to shooting guns to show them enjoyment, and the side who would like to keep shooting a male activity. Now, I am on the side to keep shooting a male activity – I take my girlfriend shooting every once in a while. But most of the time I go with the guys, I look at it this way; before women were working with men there was no sexual harassment laws and men could speak freely. Nowadays men have to be careful what they say because they don’t want to be slapped with a sexual harassment law suite. I like talking freely while shooting. Other guys go fishing, hunting, ect with their buddies so they can talk about strip clubs, hookers, cars, things that women are not instrested in or disgusted by. I think Sean Connery said it best as James Bond in the movie Goldfinger, “Run along now dear, man talk” (as he slaps her on the butt)

I like my man talk. And if a women is in a place where man talk is occurring, man talk will not stop coming out of my mouth because a women is present.

PanzerAce
08-30-2006, 12:47 AM
tonyayo, as has been mentioned earlier, there is nothing stopping you from not taking along any women when you go to the range.

Honestly, I am pretty close to just ignore listing people from now on that start saying inane ******** that is not on topic. The topic is how do you get women to go shooting, not what your socio-economic views are with relation to women.

ts
08-30-2006, 12:56 AM
tonyayo, as has been mentioned earlier, there is nothing stopping you from not taking along any women when you go to the range.

I know, what gave you the idea I thought different?

brassburns
08-30-2006, 1:14 AM

Recommendations on guns?

I've taught quite a few friends how to shoot. I always start with a .22 LR revolver-Smith and Wesson Model 17. There is virtually no recoil and the shooter can concentrate on sight picture and trigger control.

I have them shoot at a blank piece of paper with a dot from a Bingo marker as an aiming point. The goal is to make a small group, not necessarily to hit the aiming point.

On another day, we may move on to a semi-auto. It depends on the shooter.

Randy

Mesa Tactical
08-30-2006, 7:51 AM

I'm pretty sure that happened back on page three or so.

Some pretty insecure dudes posting to this thread...

Mesa Tactical
08-30-2006, 7:58 AM
Recommendations on guns?

I'd normally say a .22 revolver would be the best bet, but my Smith & Wesson Model 617 has a six inch full lug barrel and weighs the same as my Model 629 .44 Magnum! Kind of a heavy gun for a lot of women. But a lighter Model 17 or 617 would be a good bet.

I personally don't like semi-autos as beginner guns, since there's so much to learn and many women in fact can find it challenging to operate them. Plus, loading .22 magazines is a pain, literally. But there are a lot more choices in .22 semi-autos than in revolvers. Ruger, Browning Buckmark, old Hi Standards, etc.

My wife's favorite gun when she was learning was a Glock 22C on which I had installed a .22 conversion kit. The kit's slide was aluminum rather than steel, so the entire assembly was the most lightweight firearm imaginable. It was easy to shoot and easy to hold out at arm's length, an excellent beginner's platform. She loved it.

Later we went out and bought her a Model 10 in .38 Special, and she also likes our 9mm Hi-Power.

jdberger
08-30-2006, 8:00 AM
I like my man talk. And if a women is in a place where man talk is occurring, man talk will not stop coming out of my mouth because a women is present.
I like my man talk, too. There's nothing like talking about penis size, digestive issues or haw many women you scored with over the weekend with a bunch of guys. Having the wife there inhibits the conversation.

ts
08-30-2006, 8:04 AM

I don't understand why people keep on saying that, I really don't think anyone here is being sexist and saying anything offencive such as "women can't shoot as well as men." We're all not going to agree all the time.

PanzerAce
08-30-2006, 8:46 AM
Plus, loading .22 magazines is a pain, literally.

which semi are you talking about? The best part for me about .22s (other than how cheap ammo is) is that it takes me almost no time to load the magazines...

Mesa Tactical
08-30-2006, 8:57 AM
which semi are you talking about? The best part for me about .22s (other than how cheap ammo is) is that it takes me almost no time to load the magazines...

The Rugers, for one. The little knobs you pull down to load the magazines always make my thumb sore after a while.

PanzerAce
08-30-2006, 9:46 AM
The Rugers, for one. The little knobs you pull down to load the magazines always make my thumb sore after a while.

ah. Thats one of the reasons I love the Kimber 1911 .22s, the magazine is insanely easy to load.

blkA4alb
08-30-2006, 3:59 PM
ah. Thats one of the reasons I love the Kimber 1911 .22s, the magazine is insanely easy to load.
+1, my Beretta U22 Neos mags are sooo easy to load.

M. Sage
08-30-2006, 5:54 PM
I don't understand why people keep on saying that, I really don't think anyone here is being sexist and saying anything offencive such as "women can't shoot as well as men." We're all not going to agree all the time.

:rolleyes:

The sexism is in "aren't there ary 'guy-only' things left?", implying that shooting is/should be "guys only." The whole thing about how shooting and owning guns is a "guy role." (For me, the whole concept that there even ARE "guys-only" roles is ridiculous.)

W
T
F
!
?

Semi on topic:

We need to remember, especially since we're all surrounded by gun-haters, that every potential gun enthusiast is a potential ally in our fight for our rights. Ignoring or excluding an ally like that, simply because of their sex (or sexual orientation, or color of skin, funny accent, or whatever you want to throw in) is just plain idiotic. Women can be some of our best allies in this fight.

Or.... we could try excluding them from the fun (shooting) and expect them to understand why we're fighting, and what for. They do seem to be pretty effective when they're on the side of the antis.

Back on topic:

I'd forgotten about handguns. My wife's first handgun experience (and her sister's, too) was with my mom's Taurus loaded with .38 spl. Seemed to work Ok, they both had a lot of fun with it. IIRC, that was my sis-in-law's first shooting experience. I'd already taught my wife on my Marlin .22, M1 Carbine and Mossberg shotgun (which she hated...)

ts
08-30-2006, 7:06 PM
:rolleyes:

The sexism is in "aren't there ary 'guy-only' things left?", implying that shooting is/should be "guys only." The whole thing about how shooting and owning guns is a "guy role." (For me, the whole concept that there even ARE "guys-only" roles is ridiculous.)

W
T
F
!
?

Semi on topic:

We need to remember, especially since we're all surrounded by gun-haters, that every potential gun enthusiast is a potential ally in our fight for our rights. Ignoring or excluding an ally like that, simply because of their sex (or sexual orientation, or color of skin, funny accent, or whatever you want to throw in) is just plain idiotic. Women can be some of our best allies in this fight.

Or.... we could try excluding them from the fun (shooting) and expect them to understand why we're fighting, and what for. They do seem to be pretty effective when they're on the side of the antis.

Back on topic:

I'd forgotten about handguns. My wife's first handgun experience (and her sister's, too) was with my mom's Taurus loaded with .38 spl. Seemed to work Ok, they both had a lot of fun with it. IIRC, that was my sis-in-law's first shooting experience. I'd already taught my wife on my Marlin .22, M1 Carbine and Mossberg shotgun (which she hated...)

I don't think anyone said we should keep them out of shooting, just some men enjoy hanging out with the guys. Many guys play poker, shoot, go fishing, hunting to get away from women and talk freely with other men. No one wants to outlaw women from shooting, I just think more men would rather it be a "guys night out" kind of deal. I don't see anything wrong with that. I know I sure as hell wouldn’t want to go to ballet lessons, knitting, or other “girls night out” activities. I really don't see any reason why anyone would get upset over this and I think it is on topic since the name of this thread is "More women should be involved in shooting". Women and men simply aren’t equal. Anyone that disagrees with that should read studies in the way the different sexes brains work. I am happy most women don’t want to go shooting, if they want to sure, bring ‘em. If they don’t I sure as hell ain’t going to drag them along and try to “convert” them.

M. Sage
08-30-2006, 7:28 PM
The implication that they be excluded was there. Plain as day.

As far as I can tell, Tony's point in starting this was to get our minds moving in the direction of helping new people get into the same hobby, or at the least, dispell some of the misinformation surrounding it.

Nobody's saying that you can't have a guys day out shoot. Go for it. It's fun. Hell, I use my range trips for time away from the wife once in a while, everybody can. Nobody's saying not to. What I'm seeing (and I know others are, too) are a bunch if very insecure men *****ing about women getting into shooting.

As far as inequality, men are unequal to each other if you're going to nitpick. However, as CITIZENS, men and women are equal. We all have the same rights, freedoms, and responsibilities (at least, in theory), and that's our equality.

If one guy is smarter than another, are they not still equals? If one can kick another's ******, equals or not? Nobody's brain works in exactly the same way. True equality? Doesn't exist. Equality in rights and duties? That's what the USA is about, as far as I'm concerned. If it wasn't, I'd leave.

ts
08-30-2006, 8:00 PM
Yeah, I semi-agree with what you said about equality. I always liked this old quote, "God made all Men, Samuel Colt made them equal." Just because things aren’t equal does not mean one is better then the other. AK and AR are not equal, but anyone that knows about weapons knows that one is not better then the other, they were both designed with different things in mind, same with human beings. God, evolution, what ever, intended males to be the protector with more muscle and more testosterone and women to care after children with emotion and a more sensitive side.

Most women don't like shooting. Most men don't like ballet. Why try to change things? You think if we get women shooting there going to all of the sudden get up and start fighting for gun right or something? Men are more into adrenaline like activities, such as driving fast, violence, and such. Shooting is biologically a guy’s thing for the most part. The big bang, feel the recoil hit against your body, thinking about that projectile coming out of that explosion in the chamber at how ever many FPS. There’s a reason why there are movies that guys like (with stuff blowing up) and movies that women like (with Hugh Grant).

Now before someone says, “Oh no my girlfriend likes action movies” keep in mind for every girlfriend/wife who likes action movies there is 100 that don’t.

If someone gave me one good reason to take a women to the shooting rang… well I can think of one fantasy but I don’t think it is appropriate… then I would do it. BUT PLEASE don’t tell me, “I want to take her so she can enjoy it.” If you haven’t realized by now men and women for the most part don’t enjoy the same things. Unless you’re the kind of guy who likes to go on shopping sprees at the mall and buy makeup, cloths, and purses or your woman is for lack of a better term, a dike.

I already stated why I believe it is a negative thing; it’s always understandable for people to disagree. But why don’t we just leave things the way they are, everyone is happy. I don’t see any women complaining about never going to the range. The last thing I want to see at the range is a sing that says “NO SWEARING WOMEN ARE PRESENT!”

chickenfried
08-30-2006, 8:15 PM
I bet the anti-gunners welcome men or women with open arms into their ranks. I must take exception to a mean spirited accusation of yours, tonyayo. I don't think the majority of women like ballet either :p .

ts
08-30-2006, 8:26 PM
I bet the anti-gunners welcome men or women with open arms into their ranks. I must take exception to a mean spirited accusation of yours, tonyayo. I don't think the majority of women like ballet either :p .

I don't quite understand what you mean by "mean spirited" I am not trying to be mean or anything. I apologize if anyone has taken anything I post as mean. As for the “war on guns” – I’ll be honest – I love guns, I love my AK’s, AR-15’s, HK’s – I love them all – and I would love to have a removable 30 round mag – I don’t have time to shoot that often but I’ll be honest with you – I have never once done one thing to help with California state laws about guns. I just don’t have the time. Most people that shoot aren’t going to protest or anything so stop looking at it as a war. Most women biologically are going to be against guns anyway.

Pthfndr
08-30-2006, 8:27 PM
The implication that they be excluded was there. Plain as day.

As far as I can tell, Tony's point in starting this was to get our minds moving in the direction of helping new people get into the same hobby, or at the least, dispell some of the misinformation surrounding it.

Nobody's saying that you can't have a guys day out shoot. Go for it. It's fun. Hell, I use my range trips for time away from the wife once in a while, everybody can. Nobody's saying not to. What I'm seeing (and I know others are, too) are a bunch if very insecure men *****ing about women getting into shooting.....

I agree with this completely.

SemiAutoSam
08-30-2006, 8:46 PM
It would be great to have more hotties serving lunch at the range.. this would count to get more women into shooting right.

maybe some more EYE candy at the range there is a little blond number at the range I attend that makes the trip alot more fun. and she reloads my mags for me also Ive also liberated her in letting her clean my guns once in a while.

leelaw
08-30-2006, 8:47 PM
So back onto the topic....

ts
08-30-2006, 8:49 PM
Let's see pop quiz. What does this :p :p :p :p signify? Do you really think the majority of women like ballet? Seems like all you know about men and women, you learned from lame network tv sitcoms with laugh tracks.

No need to get nasty buddy. Personally I don't think many people like ballet but I decided to use that as an example because it is a common social joke of woman wanting the man to go to the ballet with her and him hating it and falling asleep during it. You understood very well what I meant. I could of replaced ballet with shopping, getting a manicure/pedicure, ect. I did not because I found ballet would be a more comical of a subject we all understand. I thought you were using the happy face to tell you were kidding about ballet. Obviously you were kidding about me being mean spirited? If you want to attack me then you can do it threw PM’s – if you want to add to the discussion/debate then post.

ts
08-30-2006, 8:53 PM
It would be great to have more hotties serving lunch at the range.. this would count to get more women into shooting right.

maybe some more EYE candy at the range there is a little blond number at the range I attend that makes the trip alot more fun. and she reloads my mags for me also Ive also liberated her in letting her clean my guns once in a while.

Reminds me of something that Al Bundy from "Married with Children" once said, "I hate women, but I love girls!" - I think this is great middle ground. We will have girls at the shooting range - but we don't bring our women. Treat it like a strip club!:D We all win!

ivanimal
08-30-2006, 9:02 PM
OK guys back on subject or this gets deleted.

Librarian
08-30-2006, 9:08 PM
As to what to do to get more women involved, a few weeks ago I took my daughter; today I took my wife for her first ever experience with shooting.

I was explaining that, like swimming or riding a bicycle, shooting is a skill one should learn, even if it never becomes a favored or even common activity.

We rented a Walther P22 and went through about 50 rounds with that [cute little gun - I'd have to play with the sights, because I shot horribly low, looking through my bifocals, and I don't really like 3-dot sights anyway]; switched to my Buckmark and 50 or so more. Very decent groups for the first time (I'm pretty sure better than mine my first time.) 1 mag each of 9mm and .45 - my guns are too big for her hands, and the G17 was really hard for her to control. I wanted to be sure she had the experience, felt the recoil, heard the noise, realized that she could control the guns.

She was looking through the web site stuff I printed out; she said "if we had more money and lived closer, buying a family membership to the range would make sense.":D

She has friends who know I shoot. Maybe if they know she shoots we can get some more mileage out of this.

ts
08-30-2006, 9:11 PM
OK guys back on subject or this gets deleted.

Ivan - not to be rude but isn't this discussion on topic? Mostly everyone is acting in a respectful manner. I don’t see the harm of having a respectable debate especially if it is on topic, the title of this thread is “More women should be involved in shooting” and that’s what we are all talking about, some agree and some disagree. But if you want us to stop the current conversation then what else would you rather us do? All agree? What fun would the world be if everyone agreed on everything?:D

The SoCal Gunner
08-30-2006, 11:14 PM
Ivan - not to be rude but isn't this discussion on topic? Mostly everyone is acting in a respectful manner. I don’t see the harm of having a respectable debate especially if it is on topic, the title of this thread is “More women should be involved in shooting” and that’s what we are all talking about, some agree and some disagree. But if you want us to stop the current conversation then what else would you rather us do? All agree? What fun would the world be if everyone agreed on everything?:D

You left out an important part.

"More women should be involved in shooting..so what do you do to help?"

If you only want to shoot with men and have "man talk", that is fine but don't you see the bigger picture? The more people that get involved in shooting, the better the chances that those people will care enough to vote, or contact politicians, in order to keep unconstitutional bills to pass into law.

I say the more women, the better. Too many women fall for he scare tactics that lead to laws that restrict shooter's rights but don't do a damn thing to deter criminals.

As for competition, if you're out to be the best, why be scared to compete against a woman?

ts
08-30-2006, 11:25 PM
I don't compete - I just go to shoot. I am not bothered if a woman is a better shot then me. I have stated my view.

NoobShooter
08-30-2006, 11:26 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.
I'll try to remember them as I take the ladies out..

ivanimal
08-30-2006, 11:44 PM

Either we talk about how to get women more involved in shooting or this will get deleted.

There is that better?

This is a general statement, not directed at tonyayo;

I really could care less if men and their friends want to go and have a guys day out, heck I am guilty of that myself. This is a public forum, If I feel the content is taking a turn for the worse I will say something. I have not deleted anything written so far, I have given 2 watch its and a HUh? so far. If you want to pound your chest please do it somewhere else. Stick to the topic or start another thread. This is not a test of your manhood. If you think it may be distasteful or disrespectful dont post it. This is a gun forum, not a boys club.

PanzerAce
08-31-2006, 1:48 AM
tony, you pushed me over the edge, you are on the ignore list.

Back on topic though, as some of you might know, I am involved in starting a shooting club at UC Merced. Yesterday (well, 2 days ago now), we had a table at the club day, and about 90 people showed up. While the majority of them were guys (70% or so) they for the most part acted as if they were thinking: "Oh, cool, maybe Ill try that", while the girls that signed up for the club I was always worried that they were going to start hyperventalating (sp, cant spell at 1:50ish in the morning). It was clear to me and the rest of the guys working the both that all you have to do is give girls the opportunity to do shooting sports, and they most likely will jump at the chance.

icormba
08-31-2006, 5:07 PM
I got my girlfriend into the shooting sports and I can say she enjoys it.
I got one of my co-worker's into it as well as a couple other women... probably 5 or 6 women all together?

edit:
Forgot to mention! How did I get them involved? I took them to the range... but NOT an INDOOR range! I took them to an outdoor range where the noise is more tolerable.

by the way, what happened to those few women who used to frequent this forum a few years back? did we scare them all away? :eek: :confused:

:(

M. Sage
08-31-2006, 5:52 PM
Back on topic though, as some of you might know, I am involved in starting a shooting club at UC Merced. Yesterday (well, 2 days ago now), we had a table at the club day, and about 90 people showed up. While the majority of them were guys (70% or so) they for the most part acted as if they were thinking: "Oh, cool, maybe Ill try that", while the girls that signed up for the club I was always worried that they were going to start hyperventalating (sp, cant spell at 1:50ish in the morning). It was clear to me and the rest of the guys working the both that all you have to do is give girls the opportunity to do shooting sports, and they most likely will jump at the chance.

Awesome. I think that one takes top honors on what you're doing to get women shooting.

I've seen that wierd thing were men just act interested to look cool for their buddies or whatever, but the women are the ones getting involved.

PanzerAce
08-31-2006, 8:17 PM
I've seen that wierd thing were men just act interested to look cool for their buddies or whatever, but the women are the ones getting involved.

It seemed to me while I was working the table that those people that I have never seen showing an interest in firearms were signing up when either their gf was around, or some other girl. It really did seem to be one of those things where the guys signed up because it was a 'guy thing' and the girls signed up because they actually wanted to learn. Personally, I am betting that only about 50% of the guys that signed up show for the first meeting, but that almost all of the girls do.

The SoCal Gunner
08-31-2006, 10:06 PM
It seemed to me while I was working the table that those people that I have never seen showing an interest in firearms were signing up when either their gf was around, or some other girl. It really did seem to be one of those things where the guys signed up because it was a 'guy thing' and the girls signed up because they actually wanted to learn. Personally, I am betting that only about 50% of the guys that signed up show for the first meeting, but that almost all of the girls do.

I hope your club does well. I thought about starting up a gun club/shooting club at UCIrvine but don't know if I would have time. It would be awesome to educate others about the laws and get them involved with preventing stupid bills from passing. Of course we would have group shoots and safety education and since UCI is in Orange County, I would have liked to educate people on obtaining a CCW (though I haven't applied for mine yet).

PanzerAce
08-31-2006, 11:03 PM
I hope your club does well. I thought about starting up a gun club/shooting club at UCIrvine but don't know if I would have time. It would be awesome to educate others about the laws and get them involved with preventing stupid bills from passing. Of course we would have group shoots and safety education and since UCI is in Orange County, I would have liked to educate people on obtaining a CCW (though I haven't applied for mine yet).

well, if you do decide to try and start one, send me a pm/email and Ill send you a ******** load of info/warnings.

Mesa Tactical
09-01-2006, 7:13 AM
by the way, what happened to those few women who used to frequent this forum a few years back? did we scare them all away?

Ya think? Read a few replies in this thread and ask yourself what woman would want to hang around.

mow
09-01-2006, 7:38 AM
Ya think? Read a few replies in this thread and ask yourself what woman would want to hang around.

Wow no kidding.

This thread sure took a wrong turn. I hope there are more people with TonyNorCal's point of view than tonyayo's.

Women should totally be welcomed into the shooting sports.

The more the merrier.

killuminati
09-01-2006, 8:30 AM
ivanimal "I really could care less if men and their friends want to go and have a guys day out, heck I am guilty of that."

You mean you COULDN'T care less, and why do you associate the word Guilty with guys day out man hater.

dwtt
09-01-2006, 8:43 AM
well, if you do decide to try and start one, send me a pm/email and Ill send you a ******** load of info/warnings.
Good luck on your club. I remember I needed a faculty sponsor to start a club at Berkeley and gave up on the idea.

ivanimal
09-01-2006, 8:55 AM
ivanimal "I really could care less if men and their friends want to go and have a guys day out, heck I am guilty of that."

You mean you COULDN'T care less, and why do you associate the word Guilty with guys day out man hater.

Are you for real? You have 4 posts and 2 of them spew crap. Are you a misogynist?

If you choose to be rude here your stay will be short.:mad:

lazyman
09-01-2006, 6:53 PM
i do agree that it would be nice to see more ladies at the range :D

hah! it's you guys who are eyeballing my lady at the range:mad:

haha jk. +1 for more hotties at the range:D

cnyankee
09-01-2006, 8:09 PM
i coach girls sports and have taken some of the girls shooting for the first time (with parents permission of course) and have also introduced a couple moms to it also.

1st lesson i give them is IM NOT A TARGET j/k

M. Sage
09-02-2006, 9:52 AM
1st lesson i give them is IM NOT A TARGET j/k

Lol, that's a very good lesson. I'll have to remember it! :P

atascadero
09-02-2006, 11:45 AM
The title of this forum was "More women should be involved in shooting..so what do you do to help?"

A melt down of that subject has occured. Many anti female shooters have expressed negatives towards women shooters.

For Pete sakes guys, this thread was about getting women involved in shooting and not your ignorant bias opinions.

If you feel woman shouldn't be allowed on the range then just bugger off and start your own biased thread! :mad:

icormba
09-02-2006, 1:45 PM
The title of this forum was "More women should be involved in shooting..so what do you do to help?"

A melt down of that subject has occured. Many anti female shooters have expressed negatives towards women shooters.

For Pete sakes guys, this thread was about getting women involved in shooting and not your ignorant bias opinions.

If you feel woman shouldn't be allowed on the range then just bugger off and start your own biased thread! :mad:

right on!
some of these replies actually remind me of my organized Ice Hockey League...
Our team was down to a overtime shoot-out when my girlfriend took her try against the goalie... all the guys in the stands are saying, "oh, looks like that team is down to the bottom of the barrel!"

She skated in and SCORED the GAME winning goal when 15 other guys on both teams COULDN'T!! haha!!! :D :D