PDA

View Full Version : SBS Parts legality question

moleculo
01-27-2011, 5:27 PM
I posted this in another thread, but it sorta got buried

I have a question about this part of the law:

(c)(1) As used in this section, a "short-barreled shotgun" means any of the following: (A) A firearm which is designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell and having a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length. (B) A firearm which has an overall length of less than 26 inches and which is designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell.(C) Any weapon made from a shotgun (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if that weapon, as modified, has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length. (D) Any device which may be readily restored to fire a fixed shotgun shell which, when so restored, is a device defined in subparagraphs (A) to (C) inclusive.

If you had a regular shotgun and also possessed a separate, not installed barrel for it that was too short, that seems like a violation of this PC, too....correct?

Another Calgunner posted, pondering altering his .45 colt barrel to be able to accept .410 shotgun shells:

I thought of doing this in my 45 Colt Bond Derringer,

It made me wonder about him just buying the .45/410 Bond Derringer barrel that is made for that gun but not actually installing it while in CA (use it out of state, only), but mere possession of such a barrel if you owned the matching firearm probably be a violation, right?

Beelzy
01-27-2011, 5:30 PM
I posted this in another thread, but it sorta got buried

I have a question about this part of the law:

If you had a regular shotgun and also possessed a separate, not installed barrel for it that was too short, that seems like a violation of this PC, too....correct?

Another Calgunner posted, pondering altering his .45 colt barrel to be able to accept .410 shotgun shells:

It made me wonder about him just buying the .45/410 Bond Derringer barrel that is made for that gun but not actually installing it while in CA (use it out of state, only), but mere possession of such a barrel if you owned the matching firearm probably be a violation, right?

As Simon and Garfunkel once said, "It's against the Law, it's against the Law....from what my Momma saw, it's against the Law". :D

bwiese
01-27-2011, 6:42 PM
CA and Fed laws express this concept of 'constructive possession' in relation to these matters (SBR, SBS, MG etc) If the separated parts are nevertheless under your ownership & control it's a no-no.

franklinarmory
01-27-2011, 7:19 PM

You are correct. That's a no-go in ca.