PDA

View Full Version : Legal to purchase 10rd .50beuwolf magazine?

redrover
08-27-2006, 11:21 AM
Is it legal to purchase a 10rd .50beuwolf magazine for your .50beuworlf AR15? Problem is a .50beuwolf magazine is the same as a 223 AR15 30rd mag.

blkA4alb
08-27-2006, 11:28 AM
No, if it takes and feeds 30 rounds of 5.56 then it is a high capacity magazine. If the feed lips were modified so that 5.56 would not work in it then it would be legal.

You would be limited to getting a regular 10 round magazine and shoving as many .50 Beowolf as possible, probably 3-4?

Stanze
08-27-2006, 11:50 AM
No, if it takes and feeds 30 rounds of 5.56 then it is a high capacity magazine. If the feed lips were modified so that 5.56 would not work in it then it would be legal.

You would be limited to getting a regular 10 round magazine and shoving as many .50 Beowolf as possible, probably 3-4?

With that logic Glock 23 mags should be banned because you can insert 15 rounds of 9mm into them and fire through your Glock 19.(Only recommended for range use.)

ChrisSig
08-27-2006, 11:59 AM
Or you could get a 9mm barrel for a Sig and use .40 mags with more than 10 rounds.

blacklisted
08-27-2006, 12:00 PM
If it is a 10 round magazine (marketed as such), it should be legal. There are many legal 10 round magazines that hold >10 of other cartridges (such as .40 mags that hold more in 9mm). I believe it would only become illegal if you put .223 in it :(

Do a search to find the other threads.

This seems to be a grey area, and I wouldn't advise it with an OLL (unless maybe it was gripless). If you have a 10 round beowulf mag that is a 30 round .223 mag, and you fix it in to an OLL, then some would say that you have created an illegal assault weapon, while others would say that you certainly have not...

I wish we had a definitive answer on this.

blkA4alb
08-27-2006, 12:27 PM
The Glock magazine and .40/9mm analogy does not fit here. The .40 mags were designed to hold the .40 and not 9mm. These were designed to hold the 5.56 and not the .50 beowolf. If the magazine had been specifically created for the .50 beowolf and did not just utilize an already existing high capacity magazine that would be a different story.

In any case this is just my opinion, if I had the .50 beowolf I wouldn't fix the 30 round in it. All it takes is the prosecutor to hold your lower and go 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ...15, ...30. I think that would convince most jurys :rolleyes: .

Stanze
08-27-2006, 12:36 PM
The Glock magazine and .40/9mm analogy does not fit here. The .40 mags were designed to hold the .40 and not 9mm. These were designed to hold the 5.56 and not the .50 beowolf. If the magazine had been specifically created for the .50 beowolf and did not just utilize an already existing high capacity magazine that would be a different story.

In any case this is just my opinion, if I had the .50 beowolf I wouldn't fix the 30 round in it. All it takes is the prosecutor to hold your lower and go 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ...15, ...30. I think that would convince most jurys :rolleyes: .

Who said anything about 30 round mags? The first sentence in the original post asked if 10 round .50 Beowolf mags were legal to purchase. Not 30 round 5.56mm mags. I never even heard of this 30 round 5.56mm mag you speak of and why is that prosecutor stuffing those little rounds into the 10 round .50 Beowolf mag? Like that would even chamber and fire into a .50 Beowolf rifle.:rolleyes: In the context of the law, nothing illegal has taken place.:p

69Mach1
08-27-2006, 12:45 PM
According to Impact Guns, they're legal in all 50 states.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/AL-M-BEOMAGZ4.html

Matt C
08-27-2006, 1:29 PM

I would have to ask for the jury to take a field trip- to the range. When the DA can fire 30 .223 rounds out of my .50B magazine and my .50B upper, semi auto, then I with change my plea to no contest.

The SoCal Gunner
08-27-2006, 1:35 PM
According to Impact Guns, they're legal in all 50 states.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/AL-M-BEOMAGZ4.html

Wierd. Title says it is a 4 round mag but on the bottom, it states it holds 7.

blkA4alb
08-27-2006, 1:39 PM
I would have to ask for the jury to take a field trip- to the range. When the DA can fire 30 .223 rounds out of my .50B magazine and my .50B upper, semi auto, then I with change my plea to no contest.
Oh come on, they wouldn't need to fire them to say its a high capacity magazine. Here is the law, does it mention readily able to be fired?

(2) "Capacity to accept more than 10 rounds" shall mean capable of accommodating more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include a feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.

TheMan
08-27-2006, 3:13 PM

You mean like these OLL that were not designed to have a fixed magazine, and were designed to have a pistol grip, so therefore they are all illegal too?

The magazine was specifically created for the .50 Beo, that is why it is sold as a .50 Beo magazine. It has pretty little Beowulf markings on it from when it was made. The feedramps do have to be tweaked slightly to get it to feed good. But yes, you can still jam 30 rounds of 5.56mm in it

Either way, on the Beowulf, they have a muzzle brake, and you pretty much need to run a fixed stock anyhow. So all you have to do is go with a MonsterMan grip and you can use detachable mags of any size with it.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/bradrs/S_CAlegalbeowulf.jpg

blkA4alb
08-27-2006, 3:22 PM
You mean like these OLL that were not designed to have a fixed magazine, and were designed to have a pistol grip, so therefore they are all illegal too?

The magazine was specifically created for the .50 Beo, that is why it is sold as a .50 Beo magazine. It has pretty little Beowulf markings on it from when it was made. The feedramps do have to be tweaked slightly to get it to feed good. But yes, you can still jam 30 rounds of 5.56mm in it

Either way, on the Beowulf, they have a muzzle brake, and you pretty much need to run a fixed stock anyhow. So all you have to do is go with a MonsterMan grip and you can use detachable mags of any size with it.

Your point is not valid here. My AR has a fixed magazine, it cannot accept a detachable one at the present time. That magazine has not been changed (significantly) to the point where it won't accept 5.56.

With your detachable magazine setup you have a Monsterman grip on it. Can you also attach a pistol grip at the same time? No, so your analogy does not work here.

redrover
08-27-2006, 3:37 PM
Multicaliber mags seems to be in the gray area of the law.:confused:

TheMan
08-27-2006, 3:42 PM
Your point is not valid here. My AR has a fixed magazine, it cannot accept a detachable one at the present time. That magazine has not been changed (significantly) to the point where it won't accept 5.56.

The point was completely valid. You said the magazines were illegal because they were originally designed for a certain thing, as were the AR receivers.

So if you want to add the configuration as a determining factor, A .50 Beowulf 10 round mag in a rifle with a .50 Beowulf upper, will feed 10 rounds of .50 Beowulf. In order for it to feed over 10 rounds of .223, you'd have to reconfigure the rifle to accept .223.

By your logic, all that it would take to make all 10 round .223 mags illegal would be to figure out a way to jam 11 or more rounds of a smaller caliber into it. And it wouldn't matter that the gun was not configured to fire that caliber.

blkA4alb
08-27-2006, 4:01 PM
The point was completely valid. You said the magazines were illegal because they were originally designed for a certain thing, as were the AR receivers.

So if you want to add the configuration as a determining factor, A .50 Beowulf 10 round mag in a rifle with a .50 Beowulf upper, will feed 10 rounds of .50 Beowulf. In order for it to feed over 10 rounds of .223, you'd have to reconfigure the rifle to accept .223.

By your logic, all that it would take to make all 10 round .223 mags illegal would be to figure out a way to jam 11 or more rounds of a smaller caliber into it. And it wouldn't matter that the gun was not configured to fire that caliber.
My point was that they were originally designed to accept 5.56 and they STILL do. The ARs may have been designed to use detachable magazine but the ones with fixed mag kits NO longer can.

If you shove more rounds of a smaller caliber in the 10 round AR mags that would be a gray area, the magazine was not designed for them the same way the .40 was not designed to hold 9mm. Do you get what I'm saying?

TheMan
08-27-2006, 4:56 PM
My point was that they were originally designed to accept 5.56 and they STILL do. The ARs may have been designed to use detachable magazine but the ones with fixed mag kits NO longer can.

If you shove more rounds of a smaller caliber in the 10 round AR mags that would be a gray area, the magazine was not designed for them the same way the .40 was not designed to hold 9mm. Do you get what I'm saying?

I see what you are saying, but the Beowulf magazines are redesigned with modified feed lips. So in effect, they are designed to hold .50 Beowulf ammo.

And if you put this magazine in a rifle with a Beowulf upper, then the fact that it could hold 30 rounds of .223 is about as meaningful as it holding 100 rounds of .22LR.

Of course a smart person would just use preban high cap mags that they already owned, and a detachable mag setup. Then this would be a moot point. And there would be no need to try to guess what the legal perspective would be.

Auto-5
08-27-2006, 5:02 PM
The 7 round Boeowulf mag that came with my Beo upper holds only 10 rounds of 5.56.
There are ridges pressed into the mag body that prevent the double stacking of 20 5.56.
It works for both. Is the size of a 20 round mag and holds 7 50 Beo or 10 5.56.
That's why it is legal in all 50 states.

I just went to the safe and tried it. :D

Matt C
08-27-2006, 5:08 PM

What on earth are you talking about, muzzle brakes are not regulated at all.

blkA4alb
08-27-2006, 5:11 PM
He wasn't saying that they are regulated, he was saying that it is simple to make them compliant for detachable magazine use since they don't have a flash hider.

TheMan
08-27-2006, 5:32 PM

Please do not try to offend people openly or I will delete all of your posts.

Ivanimal

TheMan
08-27-2006, 7:27 PM
Please do not try to offend people openly or I will delete all of your posts.

Ivanimal

I didn't think his post was as offensive as it was just not paying attention to the OBVIOUS legal requirements of SB23, but if you think he needs a warning...:confused:

Matt C
08-27-2006, 9:07 PM
I'm a little confused. Who got offended by whom?

Anyway, I misread the post, I thought it said a muzzle break dictates a fixed-MAG, when actually it just said you pretty much need a fixed stock(I guess due to recoil?). In any case, its no big deal.

TheMan
08-27-2006, 10:09 PM
Anyway, I misread the post, I thought it said a muzzle break dictates a fixed-MAG, when actually it just said you pretty much need a fixed stock(I guess due to recoil?).

Yep, it's a recoil issue. I got mine a couple years ago, and at the time, there were reports of some of the collapsible stocks collapsing during firing of the Beowulf. If you haven't shot one, the recoil is similar to a 12 gauge. It's a real attention getter for people used to a .223 kick.

C.G.
08-27-2006, 10:18 PM
Yep, it's a recoil issue. I got mine a couple years ago, and at the time, there were reports of some of the collapsible mags collapsing during firing of the Beowulf. If you haven't shot one, the recoil is similar to a 12 gauge. It's a real attention getter for people used to a .223 kick.

Did you mean collapsible stocks?

TheMan
08-27-2006, 10:26 PM
Did you mean collapsible stocks?

Doh! Yes. Although collapsible mags would be a problem too.

kantstudien
08-27-2006, 10:34 PM
Yes, you can own 10rd 50 Beowulf mags. That wasn't that hard was it? :rolleyes:

C.G.
08-28-2006, 12:39 AM
Doh! Yes. Although collapsible mags would be a problem too.

Expandable to more than 10 rounds would be more of a problem (unless you owned them prior to 2000)! Would drive the DOJ bongos.:D