PDA

View Full Version : CA ammo shipping Law

SGAmmo
01-27-2011, 3:45 PM
Hello Cal Guns people.

I ship a lot of ammo packages to CA and had a customer call in today and go totally nuts today because we did not require a signature. He said it was a violation of CA law to ship ammo there without having it signed for and with a lot of enthusiasm I might add, and said we was inclined to report that to state authorities. He also said that when he saw the UPS driver dropped off the package that he chased him down before he could get in the truck and yelled at him too, then he called UPS to complain.

I had never heard of any CA law requiring signature for ammo. Does anyone know if this guy is just crazy or is there any sort of law there that requires a signature for ammo?

thanks

SG

HowardW56
01-27-2011, 3:57 PM
I've never heard of it either...

And I have never signed for an ammo delivery....

ocspeedracer
01-27-2011, 3:58 PM
If I had to sign for ammo instead of them leaving it at my doorstep I'd always have to go get it at UPS and pick it up.

FUD

Most places have a check box or a box to put shipping notes, so if he wanted to require signature he should've put it in there.

ElvenSoul
01-27-2011, 4:00 PM
Well if you leave a note on your door asking them to not leave a package...well they are more than happy to work with you.

Kodemonkey
01-27-2011, 4:01 PM
Yep, with customers like that who needs enemies?

By the way, looks like you have some good prices on 9mm. I promise not to scream at you ;)

thayne
01-27-2011, 4:01 PM
I'd ask him to provide a reference to the law he's referring to :D

Librarian
01-27-2011, 4:03 PM
Oh my.

That sounds as if that customer missed the overturning of AB 962 last week.

Had that law gone into effect on Feb 1 as scheduled, new requirements would have been imposed.

The law did not go into effect.

Now, personally, I would prefer 'signature required' on ammo shipments; that tends to mean that fewer boxes of ammo get left on my porch by the delivery guys. But if you're following Federal law and being sure your buyers are 18+ for rifle ammo and 21+ for handgun ammo, I believe you are doing all that is currently required.

PEBKAC
01-27-2011, 4:05 PM
He's might thinking of AB962, and may not realize it is for all extents and purposes completely dead.

But now that it is, signature is by no means required. He didn't request it, and thus you didn't make it adult signature required, so it's his fault if he wanted it but neglected to ask for it.

Joe
01-27-2011, 4:07 PM
You can't sell rifle ammo to people who aren't 18 and handgun ammo to people who aren't 21. If you don't require a person to send you a copy of their ID most shippers ship the item "adult signature required"

Jack L
01-27-2011, 4:17 PM
Don't know about a law but I have never signed for ammo either. How did this person even know the box contained ammo? Was it his ammo or a neighbors ammo? Could be another Nancy P want-a-be or off his meds. The anti's have been exceptionally loud about gun control these past two weeks.

CriticallyStressed
01-27-2011, 4:17 PM
You can't sell rifle ammo to people who aren't 18 and handgun ammo to people who aren't 21. If you don't require a person to send you a copy of their ID most shippers ship the item "adult signature required"

I've noticed only a few online retailers do this. Most state that it is the responsibility of the purchaser to ensure they're complying with all applicable laws and regulations, both federal and state.

Most online retailers that I do business with neither require any sort of signature on delivery nor ID. The only exception is AIM. I order from SGAmmo, Wideners, and others routinely as I appreciate their prices, fast shipping, and customer service and no-hassle policies with respect to signature delivery or ID.

The only reason I didn't walk away from AIM is that it was easy to upload a PDF of my DL on their website. Vendors that require a fax or mail-in copy don't get my business due to the hassle.

I would stay with what you've got SGAmmo... it ain't broke (except according to the screwball that called you) so don't fix it.:chris:

thrasherfox
01-27-2011, 4:19 PM
Im thinking the same thing as the Librarian. Thinking it was someone who is totally confused. even under AB962 however he still could not receive ammo directly unless he was licensed correct?

I have a mailbox at our local UPS store, that is where I have EVERYTHING I order sent to, that way I know someone is signing for it and it isnt just being left on a porch somewhere.

But to the OP. no, nothing illegal about what you did since AB962 was overturned.

Kodemonkey
01-27-2011, 4:25 PM
Don't know about a law but I have never signed for ammo either. How did this person even know the box contained ammo? Was it his ammo or a neighbors ammo? Could be another Nancy P want-a-be or off his meds. The anti's have been exceptionally loud about gun control these past two weeks.

The UPS drivers know... there is a ORD-M sticker on it that says "cartridges, small arms".

Before AB962 got thrown out, our UPS driver told me he is getting a ton of it. Literally said that one day his truck had almost 25% of the deliveries had those cute little ORD stickers on them. Nice to know the neighbors are well armed!

SGAmmo
01-27-2011, 4:37 PM
thanks everyone, I feel better already...SG

Recession
01-27-2011, 4:44 PM
He also said that when he saw the UPS driver dropped off the package that he chased him down before he could get in the truck and yelled at him too.

Was this him? :rofl:

http://svprojectmanagement.com/wp-content/uploads/dog-chasing-car-300x200.jpg

Recession
01-27-2011, 4:45 PM

Can we get a Calguns discount for offering you legal advise? :D

dls
01-27-2011, 4:52 PM
My UPS driver made me sign for the last batch of ammo I bought from Cabalas ?
He usually rings the bell puts the package down and is in the truck before I get to the door. This time he said I need to sign, I said "really?" he said it's because it's ammo. It was the first time I ever remember doing so??

IGOTDIRT4U

I think the guy is stuck somewhere between the now defunct ammo bill and prior experience.

Some vendors ship UPS, some USPS and some FedEx. And each vendor has set up shipping instructions with each shipper. For example, one place I order occasionally from uses FedEX, and although it's not a FedEx rule, the vendor specifies that a signature of the purchaser is required upon delivery. No leaving at the neighbor, no having wifey sign, only the receipient can sign. A real PITA.

Blackhawk556
Was this him? :rofl:

http://svprojectmanagement.com/wp-content/uploads/dog-chasing-car-300x200.jpg

:D:rofl: lol

i'm still laughing as i type this. Good one

CriticallyStressed
01-27-2011, 4:54 PM
Can we get a Calguns discount for offering you legal advise? :D

Yeah... preferably retroactive as I have spent almost $2k at SGAmmo in the last 3 months :cool2:

Matt3989
01-27-2011, 5:02 PM
I actually find it quite annoying when companies require a signature for ammo delivery. It's not necessary. Keep doing what you are doing!

ken worth
01-27-2011, 5:17 PM
I get a lot of ammo delivered by ups , never been asked to sign for anything. some times I find the box at the gate, no problem the gate is 11/2 miles from the street and a half a mile from the neighbor. I'm almost always home when it arrives anyway.

vintagearms
01-27-2011, 5:23 PM
Hello Cal Guns people.

I ship a lot of ammo packages to CA and had a customer call in today and go totally nuts today because we did not require a signature. He said it was a violation of CA law to ship ammo there without having it signed for and with a lot of enthusiasm I might add, and said we was inclined to report that to state authorities. He also said that when he saw the UPS driver dropped off the package that he chased him down before he could get in the truck and yelled at him too, then he called UPS to complain.

I had never heard of any CA law requiring signature for ammo. Does anyone know if this guy is just crazy or is there any sort of law there that requires a signature for ammo?

thanks

SG

He is a moron. Whats his Calguns name? ;) I hope you put him on your black list.

Ed_in_Sac
01-27-2011, 5:35 PM
OP, people like the one you complained about would seem to be rare, most Californians appreciate being able to get ammo and supplies cheaper online, out of state if necessary. I appreciate your willingness to support our 2a rights in CA.

ps: tell your customer to post here for an answer to his questions.

CSACANNONEER
01-27-2011, 5:41 PM
Flag his account and make sure that you charge him a bit more and ship all his future orders "adult signature required".

Chester
01-27-2011, 5:44 PM
Anybody entertain the idea of this just being an anti trying to scare an out of state ammo source from shipping here? I'm sure all sorts of people at Brady know about how sheepish places like Cheaper Than Dirt can be about shipping out of country to the nation of California.

97F1504RAD
01-27-2011, 5:58 PM
Hello Cal Guns people.

thanks

SG

Sounds to me like you do not need that person as a customer and no law that i know of that requires that.

Also welcome aboard I am one of your customers and was glad to see you were still going to continue to ship ammo other than handgun, even if
AB962 had gone into effect.

Thanks for your great service as always.

MultiCaliber
01-27-2011, 6:14 PM
Hey, SGAmmo, good to see you. I, also am a customer of yours. This sounds like nonsense to me. So far as I know, it is up to the vendors to require a signature or not. I'll catch you on the next order, sir.

G60
01-27-2011, 6:30 PM
Another thing that may have confused the buyer is that it's up to the delivery driver at times if they want to collect a signature or not. I've made repeat purchases from several retailers and am rarely home to greet the driver. Some will hide the package behind a bush, some will leave it in front of the door, some will leave their 'attempted delivery' note. Perhaps his usual driver always required a signature, and got a bit panicked when this latest one didn't. I also look forward to ordering from you soon!

Brickman
01-27-2011, 6:49 PM
I've ordered ammo in bulk quantities many times from Cabelas, BulkAmmo, Ammoman, and 2 or 3 others. I've had it delivered by both UPS and FedEx.

No signature was ever required. They've left it on my door stoop each time without signature.

diginit
01-27-2011, 7:02 PM
Proof of age is required for ammo deliveries from UPS or FedX in Ca. Adult signature is required by law. If you are obviously over 18, The signature is sometimes waived as a courtesy. The drivers only want to deliver and move on and, like some LEO's, don't know all the law. Be thankful that ammo can be delivered at all. I can't believe someone would chase down a UPS truck to B#tch about it...

AaronHorrocks
01-27-2011, 7:48 PM
If you order ammo from Sportsmans Guide, they claim (I know it's bogus), that California law requires an adult signature.

It's very unfortunate, but businesses and many individuals inside and outside of this state make up thier own laws, pass rumors, or repeat lies, and it's generally accepted as fact.

I've had a guy on gunbroker refuse to sell me an M16A1 upper to me after I won. He claimed the BCG, the flash suppressor were illegal to own in california PERIOD!

celticstorm
01-27-2011, 7:52 PM
This guy is nuts!. I never have to sign and I have bought plent of ammo via the internet.

neal0124
01-27-2011, 7:57 PM
I only order ammo from places that do not require signatures. I'm never home in time for the delivery, they try to deliver 2 more times and then it goes to the main hub where I have to go pick it up at. That whole process usually takes about 4 extra days and it's way out of my way.

nitrofc
01-27-2011, 7:59 PM
I have never once....ever...signed for ammo shipped from an online store via UPS.

The person that called you needs their head examined and should never be allowed around firearms ever.

They're out there, far and few....but they are out there......:nuts:

Hello Cal Guns people

thanks

SG

mecam
01-27-2011, 8:23 PM
Nice prices SG and fair shipping, I think I found me another online dealer. :thumbsup:

NytWolf
01-27-2011, 8:25 PM
Hello Cal Guns people.

thanks

SG

Did his name start with Kevin and end with DeLeon? :D Sorry, I couldn't resist.

harbinger007
01-27-2011, 8:46 PM
Maybe you could offer it as an additional service that someone could select for $5 or something like that. It would be interesting to see how many people would chose it. That would help folks realize that without selecting it that a signature was not going to be required.

I had a problem with a delivery last week that I'd rather not post, but I did call and complain to FedEx.

calnurse
01-27-2011, 9:02 PM
Forget him and give me the ammo!!!!!

motorhead
01-27-2011, 9:53 PM
all the places i buy from require a one time picture id faxed or e-mailed. not just for ca either. the age requirements are federal. i have a copy in pdf for just such occaisions. some ask for a disclaimer stating it's legal for you to buy. this is in my pdf also.

Wrangler John
01-28-2011, 4:07 AM
The other part of this is that a fellow at the range had a new rifle barrel stolen off his front porch before he got to the door after UPS delivered it. Seems there is a traffic in criminals following UPS etc. trucks and stealing merchandise. This fellow always has signature required conditioned on his deliveries, since this happened. I have never had a delivery stolen, so it's not a problem.

AEW
01-28-2011, 8:10 PM
Hello Cal Guns people.

thanks

SG

SG,

I, for one, would like to thank you for still doing business with California residents, offering excellent prices for hard to find ammo, and generally making ammo accessible. Keep up the good work!

ColdDeadHands1
01-28-2011, 8:33 PM
SGammo:
Just found your website after this post. I have a few hundred dollars of ammo I need to buy. How about a Calguns discount code or some free shipping? :D Looks like you already have some customers in this thread who might jump on this!

SGAmmo
01-28-2011, 8:50 PM
Thanks again everyone for the input. I guess the general agreement here is that there is no signature legally required, or if there is a law that requires it, very very few retailers know about it. I see one post in here that says it is required by law, which I would like to see cited in the book before I would believe. Even if that were the case I don't think I would push it since no one else is, unless it became an issue with enforcement agents. I am grateful for CA business, its always been a big part of our customer base, and in general one of the most friendly. We run into goof balls like the guy in my original posting once every few months. Generally I think they are people who are just looking for something to get mad about, maybe something else is bothering them and they are just looking to vent their anger. Normally I have to pull and ship the wrong product to get people worked up like this. Fortunately most of us are a little easier to get along with...thanks...SG

Recession
01-28-2011, 8:53 PM
Thanks again everyone for the input. I guess the general agreement here is that there is no signature legally required, or if there is a law that requires it, very very few retailers know about it. I see one post in here that says it is required by law, which I would like to see cited in the book before I would believe. Even if that were the case I don't think I would push it since no one else is, unless it became an issue with enforcement agents. I am grateful for CA business, its always been a big part of our customer base, and in general one of the most friendly. We run into goof balls like the guy in my original posting once every few months. Generally I think they are people who are just looking for something to get mad about, maybe something else is bothering them and they are just looking to vent their anger. Normally I have to pull and ship the wrong product to get people worked up like this. Fortunately most of us are a little easier to get along with...thanks...SG

This Thread Is Worthless Without Discounts! :D

leelaw
01-28-2011, 9:00 PM
Blacklist him from future sales if he's going to be abusive to your employees.

CHS
01-28-2011, 9:16 PM
SGammo, thank you for your understanding and appreciation of California customers.

I think I just found a new place to order ammo from (as soon as I have more money).

Some people, unfortunately, are just plain d-bags Californian or not.

IllTemperedCur
01-28-2011, 10:50 PM
Another happy SGA customer here....just had a small order deliver yesterday. :)

UPS/FedEx both suck. I've filled out the "adult signature required" form for anything delivering to my home multiple times and they STILL just drop packages by the door. Even when I'm home, they just knock and drop within a couple of seconds.

Now I don't bother having anything delivered at home unless the seller requires it, it all goes to me at work.

Jack L
01-29-2011, 6:58 AM
I just ordered from SGA yesterday. If you search their site, there is always some ammo that's a score.

Ragazzo
01-29-2011, 10:46 AM
I work for UPS. If ammo is to be delivered, I have no problem leaving it at your front door,backyard,side door or at a place that has been agreed on to leave without a signature. My board will be noted where the package/s where left..
If, I feel that your package can be seen from the street,I will leave a note for instructions or to call the 800 number for a forwarding address to be re-routed maybe to you work address etc or to leave it in will-call.
One of many reason that the package needs a signature is because of high claims against UPS. Could be the vendor or consignee that package/s have been stolen,damaged,lost etc....
UPS will police itself from paying out abusers by getting a physical signature into my board or to have you sign the back of the delivery note to leave a package/s......
I deliver many packages that needs a physical signature .This could be due to a high value, medications,wine/spirits....or the vendor just wants to be on the safe side that it was received by someone at that address ....the list goes on.
Back to my Diad board,when the package bar code is scanned,it will flag up in signature mode to receive a physical signature or a signed UPS note or the package cannot be delivered... It will be up to you to be home on the following day or instruct the 800 number UPS Customer Care on how to handle the delivery...Hope this helps!!!

CenterX
01-29-2011, 10:53 AM
Depends on the carrier and the seller.
I've had to sign only maybe 3 time in the past 2 years. Prior to that once like 10 years ago Otherwise never.
There is also FUD about shipping to Napa County - no law against it but a few goofballs were contacted by an anti attny and they are sure it is a law.
So, several companies do not get any of my business.
Some folks make up laws as they go and spread such rumors. Ever hear the one where you have to stop 4 feet behind the care in front of you, or one care length back from the cross walk line at a signal?
You are good to go - I'll buy from you when needed.

Jack L
01-29-2011, 11:12 AM
I noticed some ammo dealers ask for up to $3.50 extra if you want ammo signed for upon delivery. Might make sense in cites or unsecured areas.

emcon5
01-29-2011, 12:18 PM
Proof of age is required for ammo deliveries from UPS or FedX in Ca. Adult signature is required by law.

You have a cite for this? You seem to be the only one holding this belief.

Jack L
01-29-2011, 12:29 PM
You have a cite for this? You seem to be the only one holding this belief.

Never has been the case for my ammo deliveries. Is UPS consistently breaking the law or is it FUD?

JDay
01-29-2011, 1:08 PM
Sounds like he didn't get the memo about AB962 being ruled unconstitutional, it also wouldn't have been in effect until February 1st.

JDay
01-29-2011, 1:11 PM
The only reason I didn't walk away from AIM is that it was easy to upload a PDF of my DL on their website. Vendors that require a fax or mail-in copy don't get my business due to the hassle.

If you have a modem in your computer it is just as simple to fax that. Just use Windows built in fax program.

Skidmark
01-29-2011, 1:18 PM
Hi SG, I've received several ammunition orders from you over the past couple years, and never once has a delivery been held up for a signature. Yes, I live in California. Thanks for the good deals, prompt delivery, and continued support of California firearms owners.

dantodd
01-29-2011, 1:39 PM
If you have a modem in your computer it is just as simple to fax that. Just use Windows built in fax program.

Starting with Vista MSFT removed that feature.

JDay
01-29-2011, 1:43 PM
Starting with Vista MSFT removed that feature.

Nope, it's just not enabled by default in Vista. Click start, type "Programs and Features", select "Turn Windows features on or off" on the left. Now go down to "Print and Document Services" and expand it, now check the box net to "Windows Fax and Scan".

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/6080/windowsfax.png

CSDGuy
01-29-2011, 1:51 PM
I have Win 7. I have Window Fax & Scan. It's definitely there...

Kyle1886
01-29-2011, 2:29 PM
I've never signed for ammo with any delivery company, UPS, FEDEx, etc. in the many years that I've ordered ammo. I like it that way too.

Kyle

dantodd
01-29-2011, 2:45 PM
Nope, it's just not enabled by default in Vista. Click start, type "Programs and Features", select "Turn Windows features on or off" on the left. Now go down to "Print and Document Services" and expand it, now check the box net to "Windows Fax and Scan".

Not to derail the thread any further but it isn't there is Vista Home, you must have Vista Pro.

MrSigmaDOT40
01-30-2011, 1:06 AM
Oh my.

That sounds as if that customer missed the overturning of AB 962 last week.

Had that law gone into effect on Feb 1 as scheduled, new requirements would have been imposed.

The law did not go into effect.

Now, personally, I would prefer 'signature required' on ammo shipments; that tends to mean that fewer boxes of ammo get left on my porch by the delivery guys. But if you're following Federal law and being sure your buyers are 18+ for rifle ammo and 21+ for handgun ammo, I believe you are doing all that is currently required.

Good Sir,
YOU JUST MADE MY NIGHT! LOL
I have been MIA here for some time and have not been out to the range in a long time, got lots going on with the economy and all right now. I was looking all over to find out what had happened with 962. I got the shakes because I have a Cabelas Catalog that says they will not be shipping ammo after Jan 21st.

MrSigmaDOT40
01-30-2011, 1:08 AM

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/6080/windowsfax.png

Good info right here I had no idea about this!

ale014
01-30-2011, 1:39 AM

No THANK YOU!

You guys at SG been good to us, with great shipping prices. I just need to save up for my next big bulk buy so i can send my business your way more!

dls
02-01-2011, 6:34 PM
Just had to sign for another ammo shipment from Cabelas via UPS.
I guess I'll try SGAmmo next time and see if UPS still requires a signature.

stix213
02-01-2011, 7:03 PM
Some ammunition sellers think they cannot ship to Marin County residents due to Marin County Ordinance 6.58.075 "Record of ammunition sales" which includes a signature requirement and a freaking thumb print among other records that are supposed to be kept.

If you read the ordinance though, it clearly states that it applies only to "Every holder of a business license to sell ammunition" which I think would not apply to businesses not within the county. IANAL though, and I do not live in Marin County, nor do I sell ammunition (I just shoot ammunition :D ). Probably would be best to review that ordinance before shipping to Marin County.

EDIT: here is a direct link:
http://library.municode.com/HTML/16476/level2/TIT6PUPESAMO_CH6.58REFIDE.html#TIT6PUPESAMO_CH6.58 REFIDE_6.58.075REAMSA

guns4funca
02-01-2011, 7:14 PM
Most places you have to have an adult signature required. Places i order that i dont are Cabelas thats because they no iam over 21 because of the credit card i have from there company. SG i have to sign ever time and it cost 3 dollars for my signature. To name a few. I buy from them a lot.

roushstage3
02-01-2011, 7:15 PM
I have never signed for my ammo, always found it sitting on my pourch.

tba02
02-01-2011, 7:25 PM
+1 for SGAmmo, not only for past transactions, but for the fact they pay attention and actually come here to ask questions. Somebody is paying attention to CA gun owners.
Thanks!

Jack L
02-01-2011, 7:30 PM
I have never signed for my ammo, always found it sitting on my pourch.

I love it when I find ammo sitting on my pourch.

epilepticninja
02-01-2011, 8:41 PM
I've never heard of it either...

And I have never signed for an ammo delivery....

Ditto. I just got a shipment of .223 about a month ago. They dropped it off at the door. Dude that called you is an idiot.

WTSGDYBBR
02-01-2011, 9:52 PM
It is best to just ship it with delivery confirmation of a adult to sign for it. No one is going to waste there time faxing over personal info . Far as I will not.

motorhead
02-02-2011, 9:27 AM
copes also accepts e-mailed i.d. and keeps it on file. AND they offer $7.95 flat rate shipping. AND mag repair kits. can you tell i'm a fan?
thank you sg for being ca friendly, i'm going to check out your site. it's rare thet a vendor actually inquires about the REAL laws before creating new CYA policies for ca customers. you are to be commended.

johnny_22
02-02-2011, 9:55 AM
All my ammo deliveries at work need to be signed for. Seems to be SOP for UPS for any package. Nothing left at the front desk without a signature.

I can't recall the last time I had a home ammo delivery. Just spoiled, I guess.