View Full Version : Assemblyman Ray Haynes

08-27-2006, 7:36 AM
I was just searching around for CCW information in my area when I came across this bill that was submitted by my assemblyman, we need more people like him in office. I also sent him a letter letting him know that I appreciate and support his efforts.

Haynes Introduces Victim's Defense Act
SB 1283 protects victims of hate crimes and domestic violence

For Immediate Release

On Tuesday, April 9th, the Senate Public Safety Committee will hear testimony on SB 1283—The Victim’s Defense Act, introduced by Senator Ray Haynes (R-Riverside). Under current state law, a person may receive a permit for a concealed weapon if they pass a criminal and mental history background check, take a training class and have “good cause”. What satisfies “good cause” criteria is entirely up to the discretion of the Chief of Police or County Sheriff. In many cities and counties, no reason is sufficient for issuance of a concealed weapons permit (CCW), even when the applicant is at a high risk for being a victim of a violent crime.

This bill would declare that a person will be considered to have “good cause” under state law if they have been: 1) a victim of domestic violence with a restraining order from a court; or 2) a victim of a hate crime. If they then qualified under the other provisions of state law, they would be eligible to receive a CCW.

“While I’m uncomfortable with granting preferences to people based on their race, gender, religion, or sexual orientation, and would prefer that everyone with a clean background and the required classes receive a permit, we are first trying to help our state’s most vulnerable citizens,” commented Senator Haynes. “There have been far too many cases of women who were killed while being protected by nothing more than a piece of paper from the courthouse. My bill would give them one more option to protect themselves and their children.”

“Additionally, while my Democrat colleagues continue to add penalties to punish hate crimes after the fact, I believe it is important to allow victims of hate crimes to protect themselves and perhaps prevent future crimes without anyone being hurt at all—as is the case in the overwhelming majority of defensive gun uses. They have already been targeted once because of their appearance or lifestyle, and should be considered to be at a higher risk to be victimized again in the future.”

“I intend to present a diverse panel of witnesses who will testify as to the particular risks that they face in society, and the difficulties and discrimination they have experienced when applying for a CCW. This bill will prevent Chiefs of Police and Sheriffs from refusing permits because of the color of an applicant’s skin, or because they disagree with their particular religion or lifestyle,” said Senator Haynes.

08-27-2006, 10:40 AM
What a great guy. Wish there were more like him in CA.

08-27-2006, 12:07 PM
What a great guy. Wish there were more like him in CA.Yeah. 10 more in the Senate, 20 more in the Assembly.

08-27-2006, 3:06 PM
Man, oh man... too bad whites can't be the victims of hate crimes, even when it's based on your skin color.

I could see a fair number of folks wearing "Please, beat me up" signs for this.

Seriously though, it's kind of annoying that this is basically an open card to have a CCW unless your skin is white.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for it, but I'm fully aware that no matter what, it will never benefit me other than by perhaps as a building block towards full CCW reform.

08-28-2006, 12:38 AM
Haynes is a gem. I'm on his mailing list and always look forward to receiving his Monday Morning Memorandum on many issues. Too bad solid common-sense guy like him is getting termed out next year.

08-28-2006, 6:54 AM
Haynes is a gem. I'm on his mailing list and always look forward to receiving his Monday Morning Memorandum on many issues. Too bad solid common-sense guy like him is getting termed out next year.

Beat me too it.

Here's his email: Assemblymember Haynes [Assemblymember.Haynes@assembly.ca.gov]

08-28-2006, 7:38 AM
Haynes is awesome! Any idea what he's doing next? We need to keep him around in one fashion or another. Could you imagine him and McClintock as Gov and Lt Gov.? I love those monday morning emails as well, this guys has an incredible head on his shoulders! Hmmm... that email should be here shortly.

08-28-2006, 11:45 AM
Yeah, the bill wouldn't have benefited white folk but just the same (as a white folk) i supported it as a building block to statewide CCW.

Too bad the liberals interest in protecting victim of hate crimes and domestic violence wasn't real -- bill died.

08-28-2006, 12:27 PM
Hear, hear. Senator Haynes is a stand-up guy. Im my experience, he's always tried to accomplish REAL progress for gun-rights, not just make it look like he's a defender of liberty. (Some "pro-gun" lawmakers introduce bills that sound fantastic, like a repeal of the AW ban, but in reality don't stand a snowball's chance in hell of getting out of the first committee. If only they would work with NRA as Senator Haynes always has!)

He's yet another example of the disaster that term limits have been to protecting the Second Amendment in California.

Senator Haynes, you will be sorely missed.