PDA

View Full Version : My FAL Progess Report + Prices (so far)

oaklander
08-26-2006, 10:23 PM
Hi All,

I get my DSA receiver next week, and *should* have my IMBEL FAL done this coming weekend, assuming I can figure out how to headspace and assuming I don't need to get a different locking shoulder.

Here's a cost breakdown:

Parts:
$149 - IMBEL kit (Dan's Ammo, really nice kit)
$325 - DSA Type I receiver (dealer cost, 1 compliance part)
$20 - DSA USA 10rd. magazine (3 compliance parts)
$40 - Penguin furniture (3 compliance parts)
$30 - Tapco stripper clip top cover
_________
$564

Tools + Misc.
$5 - black BBQ paint
$0 - kitchen oven to bake pain
$70 - wood, nails, new hammer, etc., to build workbench
$30 - bench vise for workbench
$20 - extra dremel stuff
$15 - pin punches
$20 - cheap caliper
$15 - big wrench for barrel
$0 - borrowed receiver wrench & misc other tools
_________
$175

Total
$739

Now that I have the tools (except for the ones I have to return, of course!) the next one will be cheaper. But still, $739 is about 1/2 of what a complete DSA rifle would cost. And it's still about $500 less than even an Entreprise FAL.

So anyways, it's been pretty interesting so far - I've never actually seen a FAL in person before I got my kit, and needless to say, I've never fired one. When I complete my kit, it will be the first FAL, I've ever actually held. But some really cool people have given me good advice, and there's lots of stuff out there (like falfiles.com), as far resources go.

If anyone else out there in NorCal wants to build one of these, please let me know, and I'll share what I've learned so far.

dwtt
08-26-2006, 11:08 PM
I'm building one also, and going the same route you are taking. I'm waiting for my DSA receiver to come in so I can start the waiting period. You didn't list a muzzle brake on your parts list. I've been advised the Imbel flash suppressor is also a grenade launcher so you'll have to take it off for CA. Anyway, good luck.

C.G.
08-27-2006, 1:04 AM
[quote=oaklander]
And it's still about $500 less than even an Entreprise FAL.
quote]

DSA Stg is about $1200.00 plus DROS.

xenophobe
08-27-2006, 2:10 AM
Using your oven to bake paint is going to make it smell like paint for a while...

Just thought I'd let you know.

ketec_owner
08-27-2006, 9:12 AM
Working on one too. Built on a DSA receiver. I have a imbel parts kit - but I may go all new DSA parts instead. Right now it's all still a box of parts.

oaklander
08-27-2006, 8:25 PM
Re: "grenade launcher"

I'm not sure if there's any authority or opinions from the DOJ regarding the FAL flash hider. I could find nothing at the DOJ website.

I did find something about the SKS M59/66 flash hider.

I'll email my contacts at the DOJ right now and ask them.

:)

M. Sage
08-27-2006, 8:29 PM
Great to hear! Drop me a line when it's done. I'd love to see it put some lead downrange.

Using your oven to bake paint is going to make it smell like paint for a while...

Just thought I'd let you know.

Don't forget what it'll do to the taste of food... :P

bwiese
08-27-2006, 10:52 PM
I used a Gunthings Izzy-style muzzle brake because my Imbel FAL w/Izzy frontend was Fed AWB compliant. Since it's pinned/welded, no reason for me to change it

If you'd like to start with a fresh, chrome-lined Imbel (but perhaps Argy?) barrel assys they're available at The Dealer's Warehouse in Modesto (www.tdwsales.com) in both regular and paratrooper forms. I believe they come with the gas tube, not sure - and, IIRC, they were $179 but price may have risen to $200+.

This may be your last chance for new chrome-lined FAL bbls as DSA factory bbls are not chrome-lined.

Cthulu
08-27-2006, 11:49 PM
I have an Imbel FaL myself and had Zero problems!!
I bought it for about $650.00 and have about $1200 now into it
Thus far i have hit targets at ranges of 500 yards and it was dead on..
one thing i noticed when shooting surplus ammo is it tends to like the south african and cycles better than the argentine or australian ammo, Maybe cause the rounds are loaded alittle hotter. After shooting one that a guy at the range let me try a couple years ago, I knew i had to have one!!!

Cheers....

leelaw
08-27-2006, 11:57 PM
$0 - kitchen oven to bake pain

:eek: :eek: :eek: You can bake that stuff??? ;)

TheMan
08-28-2006, 12:09 AM
I used a Gunthings Izzy-style muzzle brake because my Imbel FAL w/Izzy frontend was Fed AWB compliant. Since it's pinned/welded, no reason for me to change it

If you'd like to start with a fresh, chrome-lined Imbel (but perhaps Argy?) barrel assys they're available at The Dealer's Warehouse in Modesto (www.tdwsales.com) in both regular and paratrooper forms. I believe they come with the gas tube, not sure - and, IIRC, they were $179 but price may have risen to $200+.

This may be your last chance for new chrome-lined FAL bbls as DSA factory bbls are not chrome-lined.

They list it at $250. Sarco also sells chrome lined FAL barrels for $160-180. They don't say who made them, other than that they are an FN licensed manufacturer.

DSA does sell some chrome lined barrels now.

C.G.
08-28-2006, 12:53 AM
DSA does sell some chrome lined barrels now.

Correct. Many people miss them because they are in the New Products section:
http://www.dsarms.com/NewItems.cfm

BigMac
08-28-2006, 7:12 AM
Too bad there only doing 21in barrels right now. I have an Argie 21 in para barrel I just cant bring myself to cut..

If you need help with heaspace, let me know. I have pin guaeges and the know how to strip your bolt and get it done.

oaklander
08-28-2006, 3:24 PM
Thanks Bic Mac! It'd be awesome if you could help me headspace. It's the only part that worries me, since it's the one thing that a person does not want to get wrong!!

My barrel is in very good shape - and looks nice with its new BBQ paint job.

So I'll probably just wrench the old FH off and put my new (legal) one on. I just have to remember that the threads are backwards!!!

I'm picking up my receiver tommorow AM (10 days goes so slow).

oaklander
08-28-2006, 3:29 PM
Forgot to mention (posted in the legal forum) - I spoke to I.C. from the DOJ this AM.

The grenade launcher *is* illegal. I actually have some doubts about whether this rule is enforceable, but I'm not going to risk a felony finding out!!!

So, I'm getting $24 worth of insurance in they way of a FH from DSA. It's the same one they use on some of their cali-legal rifles - so it should be OK.

Plus, I get to do my best W.E.C. imitation and figure out a fun way to wrench the illegal one off!

It will likely involve a large hammer.