PDA

View Full Version : Question.

Loner
08-26-2006, 9:51 PM
I'm a short time reader, first time poster. I bought a Stag Arms OLL earlier this month and I've been browsing here and at AR15 on how to build it up, and what the DOJ will be trying to do to stop me from bulding it, etc. Anyway, I remember someone here(Possibly bwiese) posting that there's a DA in this state that is in a court battle with the DOJ over the AWB. Is there any truth to that, and if so, whatt he current status of it? Thanks in advance for anyone that might answer.

Cato
08-26-2006, 10:16 PM
I'm a short time reader, first time poster. I bought a Stag Arms OLL earlier this month and I've been browsing here and at AR15 on how to build it up, and what the DOJ will be trying to do to stop me from bulding it, etc. Anyway, I remember someone here(Possibly bwiese) posting that there's a DA in this state that is in a court battle with the DOJ over the AWB. Is there any truth to that, and if so, whatt he current status of it? Thanks in advance for anyone that might answer.
I vaguely remember bills for the repeal of SB23 on the Calif state website. Seems like they all die in comittee over and over again. I cant imagine what it would take to get SB23 off the books. Even some conservatives are scared into supporting gun legislation. Gun locks, smart guns, no ammo in the mail, no "street sweapers," serialized firing pins, and no cop killer rounds seem sensible to the everyday voter. Unless you are a collector, like we are, its hard to justify why the average citizen should have access to an AK. Sadly, the 2A is so passe. What if the government took freedom of religion or prohibition of slavery in the same manner? We could have a California state religion (say: liberal Episcapalianism) and indentured servitude (say: Hispanic nannies and constrution workers). Now that would be just wrong.

Mssr. Eleganté
08-26-2006, 10:29 PM
I think the last information posted about the ex-Fresno County DA lawsuit against the AW law was that it has a January 2007 court date.

Here's a thread that talks about it...

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=33913&highlight=fresno+2007

mikehaas
08-27-2006, 6:06 AM
There have been some lame bills (never stood a chance) to repeal SB 23/Roberti-Roos. (Warning: political reality alert!) These were not NRA-introduced bills (which is why they keep failing in committee, as you note), but still waste the time and energy of activists and even NRA, who cannot totally abandon such efforts for political reasons. Just think of the consequences if NRA wasn't seen as supporting a repeal of CA AW law! Such lame efforts can put our best team in a box. For example, NRA *HAD TO* eventually sign onto the horrible Silveira suit (instituted by frustrated gun-owners in CA AGAINST the advice of Michel, Halbrook, Kates, et al.) so that, if SCOTUS had decided to hear it, it might not actually destroy the Second Amendment. More money, time and energy down the drain.

Why would a supposedly "pro-gun" lawmaker submit such a stupid bill? That's a subject for another thread someday.

In the late '90's (before SB 23), NRA succeeded in defeating Roberti-Roos in court. Yes, at one instant in time, California again had no AW ban. But Republican AG Dan Lungren appealed and won (and we all lost and are still losing) - good lesson for those who think all Democrats are evil. The flip side of that kind of thinking is that all Republicans are saints. I'm not pro-ANY PARTY, I'm for fighting smart.

The original Hunt letter to CA prosecutors can be found here...
http://calgunlaws.com/article-455.html
...along with other good info.

Mike

artherd
08-27-2006, 11:11 AM
Mike- I've gotta say, I wish we had much better communication & cordination in terms of legislative efforts. I suppose one of the side effects of a 'guerilla campaign' is splintering and poor/no communication though. Maybe the internet is finally going to change that. Maybe that's why DOJ & other hostile exectuive bodies are looking so closely at posts here and on gunscal.com

6172crew
08-27-2006, 11:27 AM
Mike, could you let us in on what happened to the guy who was using a disability and he said he needed a pistol grip.

I remember way back then I was thinking why didnt the NRA back this guy but as always the liberal media was bashing the NRA and making us feel bad for the disabled vet or whatever he was.:cool:

Matt C
08-27-2006, 1:37 PM
Mike- To be clear, the NRA is or is not behind Hunt?

PIRATE14
08-27-2006, 6:57 PM
As usual there is so much politikin going around behind the scenes it's hard for your average gun owner to try and figure out what the hell is going on......nobody wants to tip their hand.

But the internet is working good here.....of course it does has it down sides, look what happened on friday......