PDA

View Full Version : use care w/fixed mag M1A (M14) setups...

bwiese
08-26-2006, 6:34 PM
OK, it seems the M1A dudes ain't been listening too well:

...they appear to believe they can retain their flash hider if they affix a magazine somehow (which is fed with stripper clips). That's only partially correct.

[Why they wanna do this, I dunno - flash hiders ain't that useful for most folks.]

What these guys appear to be forgetting is that the fixed magazine must be 10rds or less. Even though a flash-hider-free M1A can legally use existing legal hicap mags, if the flash hider is reattached (I won't say retained, since that'd imply an illegal configuration beforehand) the fixed mag must've been affixed beforehand, and must hold 10rds or less.

Remember, the law is:

12276.1(a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also
mean any of the following:
....{snip}....
(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with
the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

Something got lost in the translation from the AR world to the M1A world and I don't wanna see any more problems - like the LA doofus that mounted a flash hider in front of a witness (Darwin award for stupidity).

blkA4alb
08-26-2006, 6:36 PM
Did you see this on some other boards? Because I havn't seen it on here. BARF?

ady
08-26-2006, 6:45 PM
That slips over the flash hider would this be legal?

blkA4alb
08-26-2006, 6:47 PM
That slips over the flash hider would this be legal?
I have never seen this, but if the flash hider is still attached the device that covers it would have to be permanantly attached somehow. The same that the muzzle brake on the 59/66 had to be spot welded on.

rssslvr
08-26-2006, 7:54 PM
Fixing the mag on an m1a/m14 so you can have a flashider?Now that is just retarded:confused:

azn_wrx
08-26-2006, 7:56 PM
Fixing the mag on an m1a/m14 so you can have a flashider?Now that is just retarded:confused:

agreed, why would you want that?

anotherted
08-26-2006, 8:44 PM
why in the heck would you do that???

CALI-gula
08-26-2006, 8:51 PM
Fixing the mag on an m1a/m14 so you can have a flashider? Now that is just retarded:confused:

All in agreement say Aye!

AYE!

bwiese
08-26-2006, 9:25 PM
I agree this is retarded, but "the issue has come up". Wondering why anyone wants a flash hider so much to give up a DM.

Anyway, trying to stop another LA idiocy...

Now, the REAL lunacy is that placement of a fixed hicap mag on an existing legal semiauto rifle that ordinarily allows a hicap detachable mag actually creates an illegal AW ! ! ! !

That's right: a CA-legal M1A that you use pre-2000 hicap mags with becomes illegal if you screw down the hicap mag...

dmckean44
08-26-2006, 10:25 PM
I think it would be better to go with no barrel attechment at all rather than add a flash hider.

phish
08-26-2006, 10:28 PM
I think it would be better to go with no barrel attechment at all rather than add a flash hider.

That's even more retarded. :rolleyes:

If anyone thinks they can't get good groups with the Kali legal version of "the tube", well, they just don't shoot that often, if at all.

tenpercentfirearms
08-26-2006, 10:33 PM
Aye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chickenfried
08-26-2006, 10:37 PM
You guys can make all the fun you want. But you haven't humped it in-country for twenty klicks from the LZ, on a mission to take out two hostiles. Only to have your postition given away after the first shot. Whole lot of good a quick mag change will do you then :rolleyes:

PistolKidd
08-27-2006, 12:42 AM
All in agreement say Aye!

AYE!
AYE and another AYE just to be sure

artherd
08-27-2006, 1:23 AM
You guys can make all the fun you want. But you haven't humped it in-country for twenty klicks from the LZ, on a mission to take out two hostiles. Only to have your postition given away after the first shot. Whole lot of good a quick mag change will do you then :rolleyes:
And a flash hider will *help* this how?

artherd
08-27-2006, 1:25 AM
That's right: a CA-legal M1A that you use pre-2000 hicap mags with becomes illegal if you screw down the hicap mag...
bloody hell Bill, I actually had to look it up but you're right!

Fixed mag over 10 rounds in any centerfire semi-auto rifle is an AW automatically, regardless of any other SB23 features (ie pg, flash hider, etc.)

This isn't just for M1A/M14 owners my any means.

AxonGap
08-27-2006, 7:06 AM
So basically this was a public service anouncement by bwiese.

Leave your Ca legal M1A's alone!!! (get a Garand if your going to use stripper clips)

tenpercentfirearms
08-27-2006, 7:39 AM
You guys can make all the fun you want. But you haven't humped it in-country for twenty klicks from the LZ, on a mission to take out two hostiles. Only to have your postition given away after the first shot.
Please tell me you are being sarcastic. Please tell me that you know that a flash suppressor doesn't hide your flash, it just redirects it. Please tell me that you realize the loud bang from the rifle is more likely to give away your position that a single shot from a rifle. Please tell me you followed up your shot with another shot and got both of the enemy instead of just shooting and waiting for them to shoot back. Please tell me you had at least one other guy with you if not 11 and that this hypothetical is really, really lame and those must be sarcastic.

Good he was being sarcastic. That was a good one. Very funny. I like it.

Fate
08-27-2006, 8:00 AM
(get a Garand if your going to use stripper clips)
Sorry, Garands take enblocs, not strippers. They're completely different. ;)

chickenfried
08-27-2006, 8:22 AM
Please tell me you guys have a sense of humor, that doesn't need to be held by the hand and fed lollipops, with smilies :p :p :p :p .

anotherted
08-27-2006, 8:51 AM
Please tell me you guys have a sense of humor, that doesn't need to be held by the hand and fed lollipops, with smilies :p :p :p :p .

Oh man, i thought you were serious as well...he he.

Good one.

M. Sage
08-27-2006, 11:02 AM
bloody hell Bill, I actually had to look it up but you're right!

Fixed mag over 10 rounds in any centerfire semi-auto rifle is an AW automatically, regardless of any other SB23 features (ie pg, flash hider, etc.)

This isn't just for M1A/M14 owners my any means.

Just goes to show: can't apply logic to anti-gunners.

m1aowner
08-28-2006, 1:03 AM
Is there a Prince50 M1A mag fix kit out yet? I'm so getting one.:rolleyes: