PDA

View Full Version : Rifle hunting and ear protection

makomyday
01-27-2011, 7:37 AM
I am new to rifle hunting, but I have been shotgun and archery hunting for 5 years.
How do you guys use ear protection for rifle hunting deer or hogs? Do you guys just wait until you see your target, and don your ear gear? Or do you just go commando and suck it up?
I have girly ears and hate the ring/pain, even after a couple shotgun blasts.
I will be using a 300 winmag, and a 44mag handgun for hogs.

I need to do whatever it takes to save my ears in my older age.

tony270
01-27-2011, 7:50 AM
I need to hear when I'm hunting, so I don't use hearing protection. Hunting is different than if you are at a range consistently shooting. But I understand some dudes can’t stand the sound, hey what did you say?

Anyway, if I did use hearing protection while hunting I would use electronic hearing protection that allow you to hear but cancels the shot when it is taken.

portegee
01-27-2011, 7:51 AM
Google hunters ear, there is alot of different brands and types. They aren't extreemly cheap for the nice ones, but sometimes you can find deals. They actually amplify sounds untill the sound/blast gets to a certain db and then it mutes it instantly. very nice
http://walkersgameear.com/images/WGEHD.png

taperxz
01-27-2011, 7:52 AM
I don't use ear protection cause I can't hear any more anyway! Lol

One or two shots won't hurt you. It's not like being at the range where everything is louder. You need your ears open while hunting big game.

theseacow
01-27-2011, 8:08 AM
I have some plastic ear plugs that I wrap around my neck. The foam ones are no good because you need to wait for them to expand. Usually, if I have a split second before the shot, or if I'm about to do a stalk, I'll jam them in real quick. I don't always have time to put them in, but they have saved my hearing from a lot of loud shots.

VaderSpade
01-27-2011, 8:44 AM
WHAT, WHAT DID YOU SAY?

I think adrenalin protects your ears to some extent when shooting at game. My ears never ring after shooting at a big buck like they do at the range. BUT chainsaws and guns have taken their toll over the years. I would look into those electronic ear plugs mentioned above. Better safe than deaf.

r3dn3ck
01-27-2011, 8:55 AM
with a rifle it's not a worry.. 1 rifle shot never rings my bell but with pistols, especially magnums you need something. I don't typically carry a pistol when I have a high powered rifle... no reason to.

Interloper
01-27-2011, 9:15 AM
It's not so much loud noises that damage your hearing but repeated loud noises. With a rifle hearing protection isn't even an issue. In fact, you'll be surprised how quiet a rifle shot sounds when you are shooting to kill.

bpnclark
01-27-2011, 9:17 AM
I shoot a ported 300 Win and have lost a lot of hearing. I carry the disposable ones on a string and tie them to my shirt tag loop. Some times you have time to put them in, and some times you donít. This year I shot three animals. I had time on the antelope but didnít have time on the 2 deer.

makomyday
01-27-2011, 9:29 AM
I was just worried a bit due to the fact of this hunt. Possible flock shooting into packs of hogs. Flinging as many boolits as possible. (depredation hunt)

So I will hopefully be shooting full 5 shots from rifle/pistol at a time. I wish I could find a semi auto rifle with at least a ten round mag, but still looking.(ie affordable, old Win 100, or a BAR)

theseacow
01-27-2011, 9:45 AM
I was just worried a bit due to the fact of this hunt. Possible flock shooting into packs of hogs. Flinging as many boolits as possible. (depredation hunt)

So I will hopefully be shooting full 5 shots from rifle/pistol at a time. I wish I could find a semi auto rifle with at least a ten round mag, but still looking.(ie affordable, old Win 100, or a BAR)

benelli r1 in .30-06 has a 10 round mag. its light weight, reliable, and accurate.

makomyday
01-27-2011, 10:05 AM
Do you have one for sale?

benelli r1 in .30-06 has a 10 round mag. its light weight, reliable, and accurate.

theseacow
01-27-2011, 10:08 AM
Do you have one for sale?

no, but a i see them locally go on sale every other month or so.

Interloper
01-27-2011, 10:50 AM

Sounds like a job for an SKS.:coolgleamA:

rodeoflyer
01-27-2011, 11:20 AM

What is "flock shooting" ?

lewdogg21
01-27-2011, 6:43 PM
One hunt won't make you deaf. I don't even notice the gun going off and that includes shotgunning in a steel tank with another barrel 2-4' away. My father must have shot 10's of thousands of shotgun rounds and he hears great still at 59 but he's probably in the minority.

If I get some plugs it will be the kind that only block the loud sounds. I can't imagine wearing ear muffs as the sweatiness and constriction would drive me nuts

duckman1
01-27-2011, 7:35 PM
One shot is enough to cause permanent hearing damage. You should wear hearing protection anytime you are shooting. I have permanent hearing damage in my left ear thanks to a round I touched off with my ported .300wsm. My age is 47

I wear the EAR digital ear plugs on the range and in the field. They are light, work well and allow me to hear conversations and compress any sound that will cause damage to my remaining hearing. I will also use a muff with them on the range. All 3 of my kids shoot and are required to wear hearing protection. I have sent more than one of them back to the car because they forgot their hearing protection

Hearing loss is a cumulative condition by the time you realize you are causing damage its to late.

Interloper
01-27-2011, 7:59 PM
I never could understand why anyone would want porting on a hunting rifle...especially a magnum. I've shot my '06 dozens of times without hearing protection. It hasn't hurt my hearing. Neither has the 12 gauge.
Now the dirt bikes, power tools and Devil music, that's another story.

duckman1
01-28-2011, 7:12 AM
I bet your audioligist would say differently.

makomyday
01-28-2011, 7:34 AM
What is "flock shooting" ?

It's a term used in wing shooting. When there is a large amount of birds in a tight group, it's hard to just pick out one bird to shoot. Flock shooting refers to just pointing at the large flock of flying birds and hoping to smack one down with a magic pellet.

bpnclark
01-28-2011, 7:43 AM
I ordered a reg stainless steel Remington 700 in 300 Win +15 years ago from WalMart. The guy said they had 12 left they could order one from a warehouse. When I went to pick it up, it was ported, engraved and had the detachable mag. I kept the gun and have lost a lot of hearing because of it. I try to put in the ear plugs before I shoot while hunting, and most times I can, but thereís sometimes I canít. This year in NM I was shooting a buck going uphill and miss judged the range. I shot at it 3 times. On the third shot I couldnít hear out of my left ear. I got the buck but I it cost me.

When I shoot a reg non-ported rifle, I donít wear any protection. But my left ear will ring at night. I think it has more to do with all the damage already done.

lewdogg21
01-28-2011, 10:00 AM
Flock shooting ah yes that is my nemesis when it comes to teal. I dont hunt with any muzzle breaks but yeah I've felt them next to me at the range. Really I should get hearing protection and if you shotgun hunt it makes sense. For my big game hunting a the current rate I could go nearly a lifetime without worrying about ear protection but that is a reflection of my crappy ability and luck. Try archery :)

Interloper
01-28-2011, 10:31 AM
There's no such thing as flock shooting unless you have a punt gun. I can't count the times I've been surprised by a flock of quail and shot right into the center but never hit one bird.

rodeoflyer
01-28-2011, 10:43 AM
It's a term used in wing shooting. When there is a large amount of birds in a tight group, it's hard to just pick out one bird to shoot. Flock shooting refers to just pointing at the large flock of flying birds and hoping to smack one down with a magic pellet.

I ASSumed that's what you meant. Apologies for skewing off topic but this term really struck me.

I'm a wing shooter as well. Pointing a shotgun at a flock of birds is COMPLETELY different than "spraying and praying" at big game with centerfire rifles.

To each their own I guess, but taking definitely bad and probably inhumane shots at a herd of pigs is wrong IMO. What are you folks going to do when you have multiple wounded hogs scattering in all directions? Track them all down while they suffer? :mad:

makomyday
01-28-2011, 11:41 AM
Well, when you startle a pack of 30 nasty hog vermin at 150 yards......

I ASSumed that's what you meant. Apologies for skewing off topic but this term really struck me.

I'm a wing shooter as well. Pointing a shotgun at a flock of birds is COMPLETELY different than "spraying and praying" at big game with centerfire rifles.

To each their own I guess, but taking definitely bad and probably inhumane shots at a herd of pigs is wrong IMO. What are you folks going to do when you have multiple wounded hogs scattering in all directions? Track them all down while they suffer? :mad:

rodeoflyer
01-28-2011, 11:45 AM

I hope you have 30 hunters that can track worth a damn. I've yet to have that many people shooting together and not have at least one asshat.

Pigs are extremely tough and tend to run far and into heavy stuff when you make a GOOD shot. A hog with a ruined ham can go even further.

I can't tell you what to do, but i'm still calling shenanigans on it. :(

professionalcoyotehunter
01-28-2011, 12:22 PM
I need to hear when I'm hunting, so I don't use hearing protection. Hunting is different than if you are at a range consistently shooting. But I understand some dudes canít stand the sound, hey what did you say?

Anyway, if I did use hearing protection while hunting I would use electronic hearing protection that allow you to hear but cancels the shot when it is taken.

+1 on this.

toyotaguy
01-28-2011, 2:14 PM
I use these when Im hunting upland for quail, multiple shotgun blasts isnt very fun for your ears, while ill agree with most that you really dont hear it when hunting, the damage is still done and adds up over time, im still young so im trying to protect my hearing while i still can.
http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/public/u3suYAxWwFnEAH-2OO04jNVWryJmMLLU2hKb08_nagL6e7ovZ_nStkZeWFoSzRUo_ CW3v3WhJ7_kAKuaprE-6oO6rhi1yk300JBsk1esMH-ij0BB76twM4q6criLC4dCfp-_cmHaH1EUdPV49XvKVt90gF7iW31VshEZRnid9t-JD5LUbn6C1qisLsSmHK9uwx-m3-8O-cp3od-zEbAy-o2kb_R0ZfMUa46GHTEewJeaGLdO16jhc9GXVLz5B3GyBTkt2Jt A4or26vgv0Ly1CrOb2QDO93XFTt73UDlU
When used with the yellow side in your own movements are a little muffled but you can still clearly here quail flushing etc when you shoot the plugs go to work and do a very good job of blocking the blast of the gunshot, so for me while hunting upland with a dog i dont see any reason not to use these, however when hunting dangerous or potentially dangerous game like hogs im not sure if i will use them or not.

The green side is great for target shooting or anything else really loud, but i wouldnt use them for hunting, stick with the yellow side for that.
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?rlz=1C1GGGE_enUS366US366&q=peltor+combat+arms&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=14044720480766270944&ei=4kxDTdPLOo32tgOVkfmRCg&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDYQ8wIwAg

lewdogg21
01-28-2011, 3:48 PM
Guys I think the op is doing depredation so blaze away. They cleaned out the Catalina pigs and goats with a mini-14

Interloper
01-28-2011, 3:51 PM
Guys I think the op is doing depredation so blaze away. They cleaned out the Catalina pigs and goats with a mini-14

Yeah, but even depredation you have a responsibility to make good shots so the animal suffers as little as possible.

devilinblack
01-28-2011, 3:55 PM
I fired a TOW-2 while in the Army with no hearing protection. I don't think one .30-06 round a year (plus a few 12 gauge rounds while bunny hunting) is going to screw up my hearing anymore.

Not me, but a very cool pic of the TOW in use.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/94/TOW_fired_from_Jeep.jpg

jaime7818
01-29-2011, 7:47 AM
I shot 300 win mag 2x, back to back this year at a buck. I didnt even notice the bang or the kick. Too much adrenaline. So no ear protection for hunting. But i mostly only hunt deer.

toby
01-29-2011, 8:13 AM
You may not think or care what happens to your hearing but I can tell you first hand it sucks being partially deaf, and one shot two shots what ever shots is all it takes to start the process of hearing lose. Just google you will be shocked! you never miss what you have till it's gone.

Interloper
01-29-2011, 9:36 AM
Right. And my wife is always bugging me about sodium and cholesterol.
I don't intend to live with perfect blood pressure and flawless hearing just to die of boredom and I'm not going to miss a shot at a buck because I'm screwing with my hearing protection. These are compromises I'm willing to make.

toby
01-29-2011, 9:48 AM
Yeah people make bad choices everyday...lol

not-fishing
01-29-2011, 10:00 AM
Right. And my wife is always bugging me about sodium and cholesterol.
I don't intend to live with perfect blood pressure and flawless hearing just to die of boredom and I'm not going to miss a shot at a buck because I'm screwing with my hearing protection. These are compromises I'm willing to make.

Hell my retirement is I work until I die that's what I get for getting into construction 40 year ago. I tell the wife it be a favor not to have to work an extra decade or so.

After decades of hunting and Construction my hearing actually tests out pretty good. -- Small Ear Canals.

So some hearing loss is probably due to not being born the right way. :43:

But I hunt deer with .243 or .308 no need for mags. If I was trailing dogs for boar I'd probably use my Marlin 44 mag and not the S&W 29.

makomyday
01-31-2011, 5:55 AM
Thanks for the responses everyone.

AndrewMendez
01-31-2011, 11:15 PM
I can not stress enough how sensitive your hearing is. If your serious about hunting, invest in some nice electronic ones. Take care of your senses, and they will take care of you.

SLYoteBoy
01-31-2011, 11:28 PM
The kick nor the sound will bother you when you got that buck fever going.

G lock
02-01-2011, 12:53 AM
anything greater than 80dB results in PERMANENT hearing damage, and unlike other parts of the body you cannot regain hearing ability naturally (although they have implants). your best bet is to go with sound cancelling earmuffs or in ear aid that cuts reduces sound at certain dB >80 and amplifies sounds <80dB. high frequency range is the first to go

Rusty_Buckhorn
02-01-2011, 8:09 AM
as for ear protection, unless you are shooting something ported/muzzle break or shooting from the cab of a truck, you shouldn't need it. Most things I've shot, I don't even remember hearing a shot or feel the recoil. BUT, if the guy next to you is shooting a ported rifle, lookout. Whoever is 45į from the end of the barrel is going to pay.

IMHO, pick a target, shoot it till it's down, then move on. Never just unload into a herd. That's how you end up wounding 10 animals, and killing none of them.

mindwip
02-01-2011, 11:33 AM
The guys who say they can't hear the shot so there is no damage are so far from the truth. Thats your body reacting to stres, you are still losing your hearing and unless you have ahearing test to backup your claim that shows perfect hearing, stop leading others to hearing loss.

tony270
02-01-2011, 4:29 PM
I call BS, just keep your ears on the opposite of the ejection port, what did you say again.

But on the real, IMHO it's not practical to hunt with your hearing restricted, and it’s down right unsafe. If you have to use hearing protection, use electronic hearing protection. That way you’ll still be aware of your surroundings. Not only do we see with our eyes, our ears work in conjuntion with them. Like some has said, one or two shot isn’t going to damage hearing on a normal person.