PDA

View Full Version : AR15 Build

Jason762
08-26-2006, 3:54 PM
Okay, I've finally saved up enough money for an AR15 build.

I'm here to ask about sources for cheap parts kits.

I had a bunch of links on my old PC, but lost them when I got my laptop.

I'm looking to build an M4-carbine type rifle (but with the CA legal 16" barrel).

Also, a kit for service rifle competition. Umm... what are good upper/lower NM receiver kits? I think I got a glance at a (legal) Rock River Arms combonation? Not sure :confused:

Anyway, thanks in advance!

Hopi
08-26-2006, 4:12 PM
Check the equipment exchange section of ar15.com. You can find some pretty great deals there on used goods, spending similar amounts of money but getting much better quality parts than the "bottom feeders" offer. You can also find great deals there on brand new uppers, lpks, stock, optics, and just about everything else. Just browse around and have fun...
Stag Arms, Rock River Arms, Del-Ton, Sabre Defense, and LMT (not in any particular order) all offer very good priced complete uppers if you want to go brand new.

Chaingun
08-26-2006, 4:49 PM
This month Midway had a complete upper parts kit including bolt on sale for $300. I ordered one on backorder, so go check out Midway. Not on sale they run $350 which is still a great price, if they are in stock any more.

There was also a recent DPMS group buy posted here recently.

6172crew
08-26-2006, 8:14 PM
The complete M4 setup is anywhere from $699 to $1200 depending on a few things.

Are you planning on sporting a red dot? How much do you have set aside for that? A backup iron sight or detachable carry handle is around $100-200 depending and the redot is more.

The GI M4 is 14.5 and chrome lined with a twist of 1/7 for the tracers the military uses.

most over the counter stuff is 1/9 twist and works good for closer target work and can stabilize a bullet up to 62 grain but the 1/7's like the heavier bullet. Match and Varmit guys like the 1/8 twist. LMT is pretty expensive if your going to ad a SopMod buttstock but if you stick with a 4-6 position stock they are cheaper.

The things I pointed out are some of the reasons the prices are all over the board. Giving us a total amount to spend would help to point you in the right direction.

Jason762
08-30-2006, 12:31 PM
The complete M4 setup is anywhere from $699 to $1200 depending on a few things.

Are you planning on sporting a red dot? How much do you have set aside for that? A backup iron sight or detachable carry handle is around $100-200 depending and the redot is more.

The GI M4 is 14.5 and chrome lined with a twist of 1/7 for the tracers the military uses.

most over the counter stuff is 1/9 twist and works good for closer target work and can stabilize a bullet up to 62 grain but the 1/7's like the heavier bullet. Match and Varmit guys like the 1/8 twist. LMT is pretty expensive if your going to ad a SopMod buttstock but if you stick with a 4-6 position stock they are cheaper.

The things I pointed out are some of the reasons the prices are all over the board. Giving us a total amount to spend would help to point you in the right direction.

Well the cheaper the better, but if it's a bit high end I can wait and save some more.

I'm hoping to build something similar the M4A1 Carbine Close Quarter Battle Weapon (see: http://www.forcerecon.com/strongmenarmed3.htm).

NoobShooter
08-30-2006, 11:48 PM
Check it out...

Showing (hopefully) are my growing arsenal... I just finished my AR build tonight... Yay for me!:D

Top: AR-15 Carbine, 33" total length, 16" barrel (govt. profile).
Bottom: SA Socom 16, 37.25" total length, 16" barrel stock.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/the_wenster/detail?.dir=mail&.dnm=1d3ere2.jpg&.src=ph