View Full Version : CCW Holster - Thumb Break?

01-26-2011, 7:42 PM
For an In-The-Waistband CCW holster do you prefer to use a holster WITH or WITHOUT a thumb break?

01-26-2011, 8:15 PM
I don't know why a thumb break would even make sense on an IWB and don't believe it would work well. Retention from falling out is not an issue with a quality IWB holster and having it in the waistband and tight against the body keeps the gun in. As far as retention from potential take-away, I think the same things are previously stated plus the fact that being CCW means not getting into situations where anyone even knows there's a gun to be taken.

I have been carrying IWB for over ten years and have never once thought "boy, I wish I had a thumb break on this IWB holster". Now for OWB, I do have some holsters with a thumb break but that's another poll/thread. :)

01-28-2011, 11:26 PM
Can't say I'd bother with a thumb-break on an IWB holster. Some OWB holsters, yes (I think I have maybe 2 or 3).

01-28-2011, 11:53 PM
I tried doing the FS 4 day with a thumb break and tossed it after the first set. There was no way I was gonna be able to draw from concealment and fire twice into center mass in 1.5 seconds with a thumb break.

01-29-2011, 11:55 AM
While I used to carry using a Milt Sparks Summer Special (open top), I remember the Bianchi #3 IWB holster which had an adjustable rake and a thumb break strap was very popular.for everything from a J-frame to a 1911.

Massad Ayoob was an early advocate of a safety strap for CCW and the original Mitch Rosen ARG (Ayoob Rear Guard) included a thumb break safety strap

I haven't found it any slower to draw from than an open top holster...the release occurs as you establish your Master Grip and is most natural for a 1911 shooter...but constantly snapping it back in would be a pain