View Full Version : Help on AK build

08-26-2006, 10:40 AM
Does anyone know of a gunsmith who will build a cal-ak? I'm in the Fresno area and have had a hard time trying to figure out the rivet stuff. I would love for a qualified person to make the build. Anyone with info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

08-26-2006, 11:52 AM
:confused: You could do a screw build. . .

Santa Cruz Armory
08-26-2006, 2:06 PM
:confused: You could do a screw build. . .

+1 on the screw build. I feel keeping them original is out the door anyway because the receiver isn't original...I went with a screw build, it turnerd out nice.

08-26-2006, 2:20 PM
Who's receiver are you using? Are you using a homebuilt one or a MFGed one?

Riviting isn't hard at all. Esp if your using a commercial receiver. All you need is the front rivit tool, made from a HF bolt cutter, and a rear rivit tool, made from steel plate. Rear rivits are crushed using a press (expensive) or a heavy vice (not as cheap as one might think)

Toughest part of a build is pressing out the barrel and pressing it back in with the correct headspace.

If you were down here in SoCal we could get you built in about an hour. I'm sure that there must be a homebuilder on this board up north that can help you out. No need to pay a gunsmith a dime to build the rifle. Most of them wouldn't touch it anyway since it actually requires some thought be put into putting it together.

08-26-2006, 10:33 PM
Rivets with a modified BC is how I built mine. Super Simple. And at HF you can find everything you need for the least $$.

08-27-2006, 8:49 AM
So where can I get a modified BC? I saw a guy on gunbroker that was selling flat screws for an ak build. They sit flush down in the receiver so you don't have to worry about the head being cut off or worn off. If anyone can point me in the right direction on where to get the supplies I'd really appreciate it. I've also had a hard time trying to cut the old rivets off the rom. parts kit. Also, I have no idea how to head space. The kit is in like new condition and all matching. Again, any pointers are appreciated. Thanks

Matt C
08-27-2006, 12:34 PM
PM grammaton76, he is the local expert IMO, and he is a very nice guy. I'm working with a GS right now, but I don't want to reccomend until I see the final product. He is charging $225 for a rivet build, parking the reciever to match the parts kit, AND A ROMAK KIT!!!! Included! Very cool. He has said he will fic the mag for me, I am going to send him one of the kits morepoop4u is selling.